PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not defending Harper but i'm not going to say he lacked mental toughness on that play. What I will say is that he made a mental error in a critical juncture during the game.

And on the Patriots, where "your job" is only a couple of things - that will get you cut. And it did.

1) NE was leading 21-7 when Harper muffed the kick.

2) re: your scenario claiming the game would be pretty much iced if Harper caught the punt because even if NE did nothing other than kneel and punt DEN wouldn't have enough time:

1st down: 3 sec for play
between 1st and 2nd: 40 sec
2nd down: 3 sec for play
between 2nd and 3rd: 40 sec
3rd down: 3 sec for play
between 3rd and 4th down: 40 sec
punt: 10 sec

Total = 43*3 + 10 = 139 sec

Three possessions = 139 * 3 = 417 sec = 6:57 consumed.

So that leaves 7:29 of clock possession time for DEN to score two TDs, which is plenty.

One of those possessions wouldn't have started at the Patriots 30 yard line.

Right, when the Pats got a few yards on THIRD DOWN.

If Brady had let the play clock wind down the last seven seconds on FIRST DOWN, Denver would have had to burn their last time out with around 2:42 remaining, and so the 2-minute warning would have come into play after the Pats SECOND DOWN play, giving us third and whatever after the 2-minute warning.

Another running play and let the clock wind to about 1:10 and punt it away (if you don't get the first down), and Denver gets the ball around their own 20 with just over a minute and no timeouts, needing a touchdown and with a guy QB'ing his second start.

How do you like them odds?
I know. That was very un-BB like.

I was pointing out that they had in fact burned their 3rd TO.

And on the Patriots, where "your job" is only a couple of things - that will get you cut. And it did.
Some guys like Brady have a lot of rope....some don't.

Pure speculation but I gotta think that he didn't get fired for just the muffed punt. He was fired for not doing what he was instructed to do and went rogue.

I find 5 snaps pretty troubling for a Offense who was missing bodies especially at his listed position. If they couln't design more than 5 plays for Harper in our Game plan its tells me that they still have reservations about him. That said Kraft needs to open up his Wallets in FA 2016 and sign some WR's like Jermain Kearse - Michael Crabtree or Mohamed Sanu. Please BB and company do not under any circumstances Draft a WR because you all suck at it. Also the Patriots might need to revamp their WR Scouts or try to pry away a WR Scout or Coach from either Pittsburgh or Arizona.
You want them to sign a name to be our 4th best receiving option. Why would they do that?

Just be glad this didn't happen in the playoffs. 'Knock on wood'. I don't understand the hype. He's not quick enough to get short area seperation. Even in the preseason he couldn't get seperation. It's the same with Brian tyms, guy make one good catch and its hype city. I take Dobson over any of those guys, and I don't even like Dobson.

Tyms has potential the injury was a shame

DEN burned its 3rd TO w/ 2:39 remaining.

That is correct.

The issue was that on that drive that ended in the Patriots punting at 2:39 coming out of the timeout, the Patriots passed three times on three downs that consumed a total of 14 seconds. The first two were incompletions that stopped the clock, the third was the pass out in the flat for 7 yards to Lafell.

If they'd have run on 1st down with 2:53 to go, they'd have run the clock down inside 2:25 or forced the Broncos to call their last time out on first down. Then they run on 2nd down to get to the 2 minute warning. Any way you look at, the Pats have the ball for the last timeout and the 2 minute warning.

The Patriots handed the Broncos 39 extra seconds and the 2 minute warning to get organized. With an inexperienced QB, it was more important to keep the pressure on him to make decisions if they gave the ball back.

It was poor clock management. If they get three or four yards on the ground on two plays, the 3rd down completion results in a first down. Game over.

There was no point in throwing the ball in that particular situation with a 4-point lead. Belichick is usually a master in that situation. I was surprised they didn't run on 1st and 2nd downs, and then make the decision to run or pass based on what they liked at that down and distance.

It's all academic at this point. If Harper had caught the punt or just let it go, it would have been a completely different outcome.

That said Kraft needs to open up his Wallets in FA 2016.
Why do you spew this crap. You are a terrible poster and I am getting tired of your constant tripe. Here is another example.

You can call Kraft all the names you want regarding the Deflate gate debacle. He did not seem to fight the good fight.

But I am getting really tired of the Kraft is cheap, he has to open the wallet BS. Kraft spends every penny he can. They were right up against the cap this year more so than many other years with zero breathing room. This wallet **** just makes you look like an imbecile that knows nothing about the game and how much the pats do spend.

And, its not about the money, as it never has been here recently. They use it all. Its about finding the right players who fit the system.

grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back