PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
half a mil is big $$$ no?

He was cut after preseason and signed to the practice squad... correct me if I'm wrong, this voids his contract he signed when he was drafted. The practice squad doesn't pay much.

And now he's been cut again. He's not getting paid $500,000.

I have this conversation with hockey fans all the time. It's hard for you and I cause we're amateurs. Catching a punted football is easy for pros because their pros. This guy couldn't catch a punted football yesterday, therefore he was released.
But you're still arguing the very point I'm making. It's easy by comparison to other things that pros do, but it's still the pros and nothing is actually easy by the truest definition of the word. If it were, then you and I would not be mere amateurs. You mean to tell me you wouldn't be out there making the millions and winning the championships if you could? There's a reason why we're amateurs and they're pros. There isn't a single thing you could probably beat Harper doing because at the end of the day, just being in the NFL is hard. Two of my many bball coaches used to talk all the time about how any twelfth man on any NBA roster would mop the floor with our best player. That's because it's hard to be in the pros and just because the guy is coming off the bench doesn't mean he doesn't have skill.

So does your argument have some merit. Sure. But I still think you're trivializing way too much for the purpose of your argument. Brandon Bolden talks about ST's and how it takes a special mindset to play on the coverage units or as a KR or PR. You have eleven guys coming at you full speed and you have to process where they are when the ball reaches a certain height to know whether or not to even try to field it. You then have to judge their distance again right before the ball gets there. You ever heard the term "feeling the footsteps?" That's never more true than when you're waiting for that ball to drop. I know all these things because I played PR when I played football. It's not the hardest thing in the world to do, but it takes a lot of concentration and is still something that not everybody can do. At the end of the day, I stand by my statement for sure, especially considering, and I say again, that guys better and more experienced than Harper have made that same mistake. It happens and I say again, it was not the reason NE lost the game.

half a mil is big $$$ no?

$435,000 - league minimum for undrafted free agents IF they make the team. Harper did not make the team. He received a $15,000 signing bonus and $5,00o of his salary guaranteed.

Is $20,000 big money?

Napkin dispenser??

the other guy said that it's tough cause it's like only being on your second day of training and your still learning the ropes. I'm just saying catching a punted football for a rookie WR is like a fast food employee changing a napkin dispenser on their second day. It's not that difficult and extended training doesn't apply.

I'm going to assume that he went against what the coach told him to do.
You have to be right. I don't believe that one plays result was the reason for his dismissal. There is something we are not seeing on the outside. Either he didn't do as told or possibly worse, didn't deal with the failure well in their eyes. Doubt we will ever know , but as some have said. Tough break for a young player not earning allot of money trying to live out his dream. Best of luck to him.

the other guy said that it's tough cause it's like only being on your second day of training and your still learning the ropes. I'm just saying catching a punted football for a rookie WR is like a fast food employee changing a napkin dispenser on their second day. It's not that difficult and extended training doesn't apply.
And my rebuttal would be I've seen fast food workers struggle with less, and I'm not just saying that. The guy was an UDFA. How much can you reasonably expect? But alas, I'll stop now at the risk of you feeling like I'm attacking you and also prolonging something that really doesn't even matter, frankly. The game is in the books, he's been waived and we've got Philly in less than a week. Today was a victory when I found out that Gronk and High are both day-to-day when I originally feared far worse. Why should I care what someone else thinks about Chris Harper? He's no longer on my team, so he's now sadly irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
Tough break for a young player not earning allot of money trying to live out his dream.

No no, he's making half a million. That's what NE pays their practice squad apparently.

But you're still arguing the very point I'm making. It's easy by comparison to other things that pros do, but it's still the pros and nothing is actually easy by the truest definition of the word. If it were, then you and I would not be mere amateurs. You mean to tell me you wouldn't be out there making the millions and winning the championships if you could? There's a reason why we're amateurs and they're pros. There isn't a single thing you could probably beat Harper doing because at the end of the day, just being in the NFL is hard. Two of my many bball coaches used to talk all the time about how any twelfth man on any NBA roster would mop the floor with our best player. That's because it's hard to be in the pros and just because the guy is coming off the bench doesn't mean he doesn't have skill.

So does your argument have some merit. Sure. But I still think you're trivializing way too much for the purpose of your argument. Brandon Bolden talks about ST's and how it takes a special mindset to play on the coverage units or as a KR or PR. You have eleven guys coming at you full speed and you have to process where they are when the ball reaches a certain height to know whether or not to even try to field it. You then have to judge their distance again right before the ball gets there. You ever heard the term "feeling the footsteps?" That's never more true than when you're waiting for that ball to drop. I know all these things because I played PR when I played football. It's not the hardest thing in the world to do, but it takes a lot of concentration and is still something that not everybody can do. At the end of the day, I stand by my statement for sure, especially considering, and I say again, that guys better and more experienced than Harper have made that same mistake. It happens and I say again, it was not the reason NE lost the game.

I don't know man, you got your own view, fine that's cool. I'm just looking at Harper and comparing him to his peers, the pool of pros that made it to the NFL. This has nothing to do with you or I or how difficult it is. Harper had a job to do and didn't do it. NFL is a cut throat business, you either perform or you don't. He fell asleep at the wheel and that's that.

If I had a major screw up at work on my first or second day, i'd be gone too. That's life.

I don't know man, you got your own view, fine that's cool. I'm just looking at Harper and comparing him to his peers, the pool of pros that made it to the NFL. This has nothing to do with you or I or how difficult it is. Harper had a job to do and didn't do it. NFL is a cut throat business, you either perform or you don't. He fell asleep at the wheel and that's that.

If I had a major screw up at work on my first or second day, i'd be gone too. That's life.
This post and your others are not saying the same thing. This post is far more reasonable and I'm not arguing that he failed to do his job. That part is surely evident. What I'm arguing is the people who are trying to make it seem like that kind of thing only happens to Harper. You mentioned comparing him against his peers. Does that mean you've never seen Welker, Amendola, McKelvin and others make that same mistake? I'm simply trying to understand how you don't get that there's definitely credence to me saying that the kid was making his second NFL appearance. He was literally on the practice squad just three weeks ago. That doesn't count for anything, especially when by "comparing him to his peers" also means you're comparing him to guys that were drafted, will never be on a PS and get far more playing time and practice reps? Have you played a sport (and I'm sincerely asking that question). Again, I see what you're saying and it has value, but I still think you and those who share your unflinching viewpoint are being a bit unreasonable. Look at the whole puzzle and not just its individual pieces.

I didn't call you a troll. I mentioned you trolling as one of the possible explanations for your post. You had no problem giving me **** based upon an incorrect reading of my post. Why did you have such a problem actually reading and comprehending what I wrote?

Kindly show me the link where BB says that he cut Harper because of the muffed punt.

Kindly show me the link where BB says that.
Ha! Belichick sharing the rationale behind his personnel decisions? Not so much. Rather, I'm inferring that Harper's performance last night was a significant factor in his getting cut.

This post and your others are not saying the same thing. This post is far more reasonable and I'm not arguing that he failed to do his job. That part is surely evident. What I'm arguing is the people who are trying to make it seem like that kind of thing only happens to Harper. You mentioned comparing him against his peers. Does that mean you've never seen Welker, Amendola, McKelvin and others make that same mistake? I'm simply trying to understand how you don't get that there's definitely credence to me saying that the kid was making his second NFL appearance. He was literally on the practice squad just three weeks ago. That doesn't count for anything, especially when by "comparing him to his peers" also means you're comparing him to guys that were drafted, will never be on a PS and get far more playing time and practice reps? Have you played a sport (and I'm sincerely asking that question). Again, I see what you're saying and it has value, but I still think you and those who share your unflinching viewpoint are being a bit unreasonable. Look at the whole puzzle and not just its individual pieces.

no man i'm a baller like you. It's cool, I respect your opinion. You got some solid points.

Bill's already made his decision so we just got to trust what he does.

Ha! Belichick sharing the rationale behind his personnel decisions? Not so much. Rather, I'm inferring that Harper's performance last night was a significant factor in his getting cut.
I never engaged you in any discourse about the subject. That's between you and Deus. I'm good.

no man i'm a baller like you. It's cool, I respect your opinion. You got some solid points.

Bill's already made his decision so we just got to trust what he does.
True indeed. Thanks for the debate though. I really do like talking football with everyone, even (and especially) those with opposing viewpoints. Hope I didn't offend you at all.

Thank you!!!!! Finally I don't have to hear his name on this forum anymore. People have been all over his jock the past few weeks.

He's the biggest reason we lost that game. Killed our momentum. Tired out our D. Without his drop we win the game and lock up homefield advantage.

In a game that goes to OT, one big play is decisive.

There's little bigger than a TO.

Probably goes back to PS. I don't think it was just the muff.

I think he has a good shot of going back to the PS too.

His muff and other play probably would have kept him off the field for at least a couple of weeks, and given that there's no reason not to cut him.

True indeed. Thanks for the debate though. I really do like talking football with everyone, even (and especially) those with opposing viewpoints. Hope I didn't offend you at all.

no not at all. online talk doesn't offend me. Why would it even? We all root for the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes