PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll put it into perspective. If the Patriots fielded the punt, then kneeled each down and punted for 3 possessions they would burn over 10 and a half minutes. Sure, it's possible Osweiler could have scored 21 points in 4 minutes to tie, but the chances are very small. Yeah, it's technically not icing the game, but it's pretty damn close.

1) NE was leading 21-7 when Harper muffed the kick.

2) re: your scenario claiming the game would be pretty much iced if Harper caught the punt because even if NE did nothing other than kneel and punt DEN wouldn't have enough time:

1st down: 3 sec for play
between 1st and 2nd: 40 sec
2nd down: 3 sec for play
between 2nd and 3rd: 40 sec
3rd down: 3 sec for play
between 3rd and 4th down: 40 sec
punt: 10 sec

Total = 43*3 + 10 = 139 sec

Three possessions = 139 * 3 = 417 sec = 6:57 consumed.

So that leaves 7:29 of clock possession time for DEN to score two TDs, which is plenty.

Jonas Gray has a post up about "patiently waiting" and "good things happen unexpectedly"... Might just be a coincidence, but I wonder if maybe Bill is interested in bringing him back.

Muffing punts happens. Not calling a fair catch in the 4th quarter when defenders are close when you're up by 14 in the 4th quarter is a huge mistake.

ok then so he still fell asleep at the wheel. For a guy asked to do the very minimal and not seizing the opportunity presented is just not ready for prime time on this particular team at this particular moment.

Jonas Gray has a post up about "patiently waiting" and "good things happen unexpectedly"... Might just be a coincidence, but I wonder if maybe Bill is interested in bringing him back.

Could just be talking about the Patriots finally losing a game.

Muffing punts happens. Not calling a fair catch in the 4th quarter when defenders are close when you're up by 14 in the 4th quarter is a huge mistake.
One made by a young player in a critical game that had a playoff atmosphere and one that also happened to be only his second game. I'd like to meet the person on this board that was perfect at his or her job on the second day. Training is one thing, live action is something else.

Last edited:
One made by a young player in a critical game that had a playoff feel and one that also happened to be only his second game. I'd like to meet the person on this board that was perfect at his or her job on the second day. Training is one thing, live action is something else.

This is akin to putting napkins in a napkin dispenser. How hard is that?

This is akin to putting napkins in a napkin dispenser. How hard is that?
It is nowhere near that. You're being ridiculous. And unless you've ever played a game at the NFL level, who are you to say how difficult or easy it is for sure? The bottom line is muffed punts happen to veterans and guys who are much better than Harper will probably ever be. Sorry, but I don't see piling on to the kid for doing something that just happens sometimes. It swung momentum for sure, but don't act like NE still couldn't have won that game afterward. It was still a two possession game when Denver took possession after the muff, no? They still pushed the game to OT, no? Wake up and stop over trivializing what is an easy play compared to other football plays, but is still a pretty difficult thing to do when you have guys bearing down on you just because you're likely still raw about the loss. So no, it is nothing like putting napkins in a napkin dispenser. The guy was in his second NFL game. That means zilch?

A fair catch would have likely iced the game.

Or an opportunity for the refs to throw more flags.

Kid made a horrible mistake. I liked the kid. Not sure what his upside was but liked what I saw up to this point.

Referees, Injuries, and the muffed kick cost the Pats that game. I'm not putting all the blame on Harper.

1) NE was leading 21-7 when Harper muffed the kick.

2) re: your scenario claiming the game would be pretty much iced if Harper caught the punt because even if NE did nothing other than kneel and punt DEN wouldn't have enough time:

1st down: 3 sec for play
between 1st and 2nd: 40 sec
2nd down: 3 sec for play
between 2nd and 3rd: 40 sec
3rd down: 3 sec for play
between 3rd and 4th down: 40 sec
punt: 10 sec

Total = 43*3 + 10 = 139 sec

Three possessions = 139 * 3 = 417 sec = 6:57 consumed.

So that leaves 7:29 of clock possession time for DEN to score two TDs, which is plenty.
I meant 14 points, that was a brain fart. I was thinking of 40 seconds on 1st down too. Another brain fart.

I agree that calling it an ad hominem attack may not have been technically correct. Sorry about that. I was reacting to being called a troll which, lacking any additional substance, I consider a gratuitous attack.

I didn't call you a troll. I mentioned you trolling as one of the possible explanations for your post. You had no problem giving me **** based upon an incorrect reading of my post. Why did you have such a problem actually reading and comprehending what I wrote?

But if you're going to call me a troll or a joker, you might as well call Belichick one as well, as he's the one who lost trust and dumped Harper.

Kindly show me the link where BB says that he cut Harper because of the muffed punt.

Harper had not established a reservoir of good will, he was a marginal player to start with, and his muffed punt reinforces that he's a PS player at best, for now.

Kindly show me the link where BB says that.

It is nowhere near that. You're being ridiculous. And unless you've ever played a game at the NFL level, who are you to say how difficult or easy it is for sure? The bottom line is muffed punts happen to veterans and guys who are much better than Harper will probably ever be. Sorry, but I don't see piling on to the kid for doing something that just happens sometimes. It swung momentum for sure, but don't act like NE still couldn't have won that game afterward. It was still a two possession game when Denver took possession after the muff, no? They still pushed the game to OT, no? Wake up and stop over trivializing what is an easy play compared to other football plays, but is still a pretty difficult thing to do when you have guys bearing down on you just because you're likely still raw about the loss. So no, it is nothing like putting napkins in a napkin dispenser. The guy was in his second NFL game. That means zilch?

fair enough. we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not nearly as apologetic for a guy making big $$$ and being asked to do 1 or 2 things with catching a punted football being one of them AND not being able to do it.

just my honest opinion.

fair enough. we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not nearly as apologetic for a guy making big $$$ and being asked to do 1 or 2 things with catching a punted football being one of them AND not being able to do it.

Yeah. I'm sure Harper is a millionaire.

just my honest opinion.
And you're certainly entitled to it and I respect it. I just disagree (like you stated). It's still the NFL and things that look easy are not actually easy things. If you've ever even played on an amateur level, you should know that even routine things take a certain level of concentration. Besides, he's not making that much money. LOL Don't inflate his salary for effect. LOL

Yeah. I'm sure Harper is a millionaire.
LOL I touched on that in my response. LOL

I really don't get how people are so f-ing mad at someone making his second NFL appearance, like it's just so easy to do what those guys do. Try it then. Let's see what you can do. NE would definitely give anyone a look at this point. LOL

I'm going to assume that he went against what the coach told him to do.

And you're certainly entitled to it and I respect it. I just disagree (like you stated). It's still the NFL and things that look easy are not actually easy things. If you've ever even played on an amateur level, you should know that even routine things take a certain level of concentration. Besides, he's not making that much money. LOL Don't inflate his salary for effect. LOL

I have this conversation with hockey fans all the time. It's hard for you and I cause we're amateurs. Catching a punted football is easy for pros because their pros. This guy couldn't catch a punted football yesterday, therefore he was released.

Well certainly not anymore.
And that's unfortunate for him, all jokes aside. What if he never catches on with anyone? His NFL career would be over before it even started. As much as people want to eat him up for yesterday, this is still a young man that worked very hard to get what modest opportunity he got in the NFL. It's sad that one play could destroy years of hard work, even though I do believe he was released for more than just muffing that punt. It had to be a big factor nonetheless.

Fans sit on their couches and coach from afar. We say things like, "I could have made that throw (or catch or tackle)." But could you really? If so, then why aren't you out there on Sundays? It is not easy to do what those guys do and that's why I just can't lose my mind about it. If you're Wes Welker and you miss a catch that could have probably been thrown better but is still pretty routine in a SB and people want to *****, that's one thing. But when you're Chris Harper and you were just promoted from the PS after not really having a lot of time to get better simply because your team has lost everyone on offense, how can you hold it that much against him? He would have never even seen the field if the whole arsenal wasn't rehabbing something or another. C'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back