PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs re-signing Chris Jones to record breaking deal:

How do the Chiefs pay the big $ to multiple players? Kudos to them for working the cap like magic.
They lock up their best and most important players for multiple years.

Maybe in the near future, pats will start shelling out the $ to lock up key players and gain some continuity
BB sure as hell didn't do it
because the cap is crap

Kelce is a perennial all pro. His other receivers were solid if unspectacular, but we’ve seen Brady and others win it all with 7th/8th round or UDFA WR’s… so you clearly don’t need superweapon WR’s. Isaiah Pacheco is a stud, so the weapons in general were really good.
Thanks for confirming it takes an elite QB to "carry" a team.

Repeat after me; Andy Reid is the best offensive mind in football, Mahomes had one of the most expensive and best lines in football. The Chiefs defense last season was ranked 3rd best in points allowed per drive and 6th best in fewest yards allowed.
There were better defenses than Chiefs. Didn't make a difference. Mahomes was the difference.

SF had a "better team" than Chiefs. The difference was Mahomes >> Purdy.

Do I have to explain the definition of the word “team?”

You believe in the tooth fairy… it’s cute and childlike, but not very truthful.

Burrow and Herbert are just as good as Mahomes and couldn’t sniff the playoffs last year. QB magic isn’t real, it’s all in the mind of fanboys.
It's funny how you say this, while making dozens of posts in multiple threads about how it's all about getting the QB, while blaming Mac for "everything."

You know it's the QB, because it's the most important position on the team. You only state it when Brady isn't involved in the convo though.

Thanks for confirming it takes an elite QB to "carry" a team.
Is that what Nick Foles was, and Carson Wentz before him when he was the front runner for NFL MVP in 2017?
There were better defenses than Chiefs. Didn't make a difference. Mahomes was the difference.
There weren’t better teams than the Chiefs.
SF had a "better team" than Chiefs. The difference was Mahomes >> Purdy.
Sure… the Chiefs didn’t engineer a single touchdown drive in 4 quarters of regulation football and both teams D’s played exceptional… but it was Mahomes. Drrr…
It's funny how you say this, while making dozens of posts in multiple threads about how it's all about getting the QB, while blaming Mac for "everything."
Because I never said you could win with a bad QB, I simply said the difference between Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert is so small you’d need a microscope to see it.

You’re just not very bright, so you can’t follow the conversation.
You know it's the QB, because it's the most important position on the team. You only state it when Brady isn't involved in the convo though.
Sure… Matt Stafford played 12 years in Detroit and never won a playoff game... he went to the Rams and won a Super Bowl in his first season.

Meanwhile Goff inherited Staffords bad team and lost one more game than Stafford had the year prior.

The difference between Stafford and Goff was about one game, the difference between the Rams and Lions was a Grand Canyon sized gap.

Again… you believe in Santa Claus, go back to sleep sugar plum, the adults are talking.

Because I never said you could win with a bad QB, I simply said the difference between Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert is so small you’d need a microscope to see it.
So you believe you can win with an average QB? If the Patriots draft an average QB, you believe they can win a SB? I'll bookmark that one.

Both @Wozzy and @venecol have made good points, but once again the 49ers had a 10 point lead that should've put Mahomes away. The Chefs D wouldn't budge allowing the 49ers to put up more points, the 49ers special teams once again messed up and the Chefs O-line pretty much stifled the 49ers pass rush when it mattered.

Mahomes is obviously the best in the game and is already a HOF'er, but he would've been left in the dust like in 2020 had the 49ers Offense not imploded.

So you believe you can win with an average QB? If the Patriots draft an average QB, you believe they can win a SB? I'll bookmark that one.
What is Nick Foles?

Both @Wozzy and @venecol have made good points, but once again the 49ers had a 10 point lead that should've put Mahomes away. The Chefs D wouldn't budge allowing the 49ers to put up more points, the 49ers special teams once again messed up and the Chefs O-line pretty much stifled the 49ers pass rush when it mattered.

Mahomes is obviously the best in the game and at a HOF trajectory, but he would've been left in the dust like in 2020 had the 49ers Offense not imploded.
When it mattered the most, Mahomes drove them down the field and scored the winning TD. Purdy couldn't do it. That was the difference.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 7 of the last 10 SBs were won by Brady and Mahomes.

Mahomes is obviously the best in the game and at a HOF trajectory, but he would've been left in the dust like in 2020 had the 49ers Offense not imploded.
The big difference in that game was special teams, the fumble recovery inside the Chiefs redzone that gave them their only regulation TD, along with Harrison Butker hitting the longest kick in Super Bowl history and a blocked extra point.

It’s a team game… reducing it down to one magical player is absur. fanboy BS.

Nobody. They added voided years to the back end
OK, so his bonus will be spread over 5 years. What is that bonus. The cap will include his 2024 salary plus 1/5 of his bonus.

KC had almost no cap left before the signing, so I still believe that we will see a significant cut.

What is Nick Foles?
You would be OK with the Patriots drafting a Nick Foles-like QB? Is that what you are saying?

When it mattered the most, Mahomes drove them down the field and scored the winning TD. Purdy couldn't do it. That was the difference.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 7 of the last 10 SBs were won by Brady and Mahomes.
Yes, all those who want the team to have the SB or nothing should consider that we will NOT be drafting a Mahomes or Brady. No one will be doing that.

I agree, but Mahomes needed some help to get to that point. That's why you can't give a guy like Mahomes, Brady, etc. extra chances.

Chefs DL with Chris Jones in particular was exploiting the weakness in the 49ers interior line when it mattered. The 49ers interior line as been really bad for years and really bad throughout the playoffs as Purdy hasn't been able to step into many throws.

I'm pro QB all the way, but there were playoff games even Brady either couldn't overcome the team's weaknesses by himself or received help from other areas when he was struggling.

Last edited:
Yes, all those who want the team to have the SB or nothing should consider that we will NOT be drafting a Mahomes or Brady. No one will be doing that.
The point being, imo you need an elite QB to have a chance to win it all. I'm not of the school that you can win with an average QB. It's too difficult to win it all. Pats fans were lucky AF to have Tom at QB just like Chiefs are to have Mahomes. You don't need Tom or Mahomes to win it all, but he better be elite to have a better chance. We can find an elite QB in the draft, if we're lucky.

You would be OK with the Patriots drafting a Nick Foles-like QB? Is that what you are saying?
No, you asked if I thought a team could win with average.

Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning twice, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, how about Joe Gibbs doing it three different times with three different journeyman QB’s nobody wanted.

History has shown you can win a ring with average/good… there’s not one example in history of an average team winning a ring.

I want to the Patriots to draft a superstar QB, the same way I want superior offensive and defensive lines, hell, I want an All Pro kicker while we’re at it.

You make these absurd leaps in logic during these conversations…. it’s odd.

I agree, but Mahomes needed some help to get to that point.

Chefs DL with Chris Jones in particular was exploiting the weakness in the 49ers interior line when it mattered. The 49ers interior line as been really bad for years and really bad throughout the playoffs as Purdy hasn't been able to step into many throws.

I'm pro QB all the way, but there were playoff games even Brady either couldn't overcome the team's weaknesses by himself or received help from other areas when he was struggling.
I see. Yea, obviously it's a team sport. All units need to do their parts. I've never argued otherwise, despite what wuzzy says. It's just that, to me, the QB is the most important position on the team, so having a top 5 QB is pretty much a must to have a good chance. Obviously, you have the Nick Foles cases which are ugh.

I see. Yea, obviously it's a team sport. All units need to do their parts. I've never argued otherwise, despite what wuzzy says. It's just that, to me, the QB is the most important position on the team, so having a top 5 QB is pretty much a must to have a good chance. Obviously, you have the Nick Foles cases which are ugh.
Yes, I agree with all that. You need an elite QB to compete yearly. Flash in pan average QB's aren't sustainable.

Yeah, it coincides with Tom agreeing to play on a series of one year extensions for about 15 million per. The team had a lot to spend on the surrounding team.
Tom Brady's 3rd highest cap number in his NE career as a percentage of the overall cap was 2018, the year they beat the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Keep trying, though.

Tom Brady's 3rd highest cap number in his NE career as a percentage of the overall cap was 2018, the year they beat the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Keep trying, though.
Yep. I just looked at QB cap hits and there were many years where his cap numbers were low. In fact, he never went above 13.6% and only 9 times he was above 10% of the total cap. That is wild!

Keep trying, though.
This is where you tell us 15 million, or what he earned in 2018, was a great salary for Tom Brady.

Stop trying…

OK, so his bonus will be spread over 5 years. What is that bonus. The cap will include his 2024 salary plus 1/5 of his bonus.

KC had almost no cap left before the signing, so I still believe that we will see a significant cut.

He only accounts for 7.35 Mil towards the cap this year.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back