PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: Belichick umpteen-uples down on DBs in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what "umpteen-uples" means, can someone explain? I've heard of umpteen before, but uples?

Umpteen-uples down is a mix of

Umpteen
Quadruples
double-down

Last edited:
It is the everending rhetorical question of who or what is more responsible the DB's, Pass Rushers or BB???...

Strengthening one will make everyone a little bit better, or so they say..

once again....the scheme lives and dies with its linebackers......unless the way the 3-4 works has changed

Its an interesting and fair article stat-wise. The Hitler references are unnecessary.

The point - that the Pats have spent a lot of draft picks on DBs without much to show for it - is hard to dispute. It was just a very poorly written article.

I love my Patriots, but it's hard not to admit that BB, a defensive guru, sure has missed ALOT on drafting DBs over the last several years. Until looking at the list in this article, I didn't realize just how badly.

Let's all hope the McCourty pick turns out differently.

Assuming issues with the passing game is only due to the quality/play of DB's is... ahm... incomplete thinking.

The much better single answer is - Colvin. If he had not been injured he would have brought more pressure then the Pats did get since his injury. Even more critical, they would not have signed AT to that massive contract - and that money could have gone to resign Samuel, and gotten solid upgrades over the Poteat's of the NFL universe.

Of course when you consider the Colvin/AT issues AND the DB situation you get a more complete view. Then consider all the coaches that have been poached during these years..

And of course drafting is an inexact science, just take a look at your draft boards for 2010. BB knows more about drafting than anyone here or on CHFF. The amazing thing is because Mel "Eddie Munster" Kiper says something about someone, people create expectations of what should happen, and then get upset when they don't get what they expect.

Re: CHFF:Belichick umpteen-uples down on DBs in the draft

To summarize the article, our defense only does well with superior pass protection. There is some credence to the theory, like the near all coverage schemes in the '01 superbowl and the chart the guy uses. We also play a passive bend-but-dont-break defense a lot.

But truth is, we don't put a lot of emphasis on cornerbacks. Short, good coverage guys with a quick twitch that we pick up late/after the draft and other team's leftovers. Randall Gay, Leigh Bodden, Ellis Hobbs...

And say what you want about Hobbs, but he was excellent at covering without getting a PI. Those are the guys Belichick looks for. The last couple years he's picked them out of the first two rounds, probably indicative of how much more difficult it is for DB's in today's league.
That's kinda like saying the offense only scores passing touchdowns with superior play design. Unfortunately the author is referencing and comparing some of the nastiest defenses of all time in that period for the Patriots against patchwork jobs and a rebuild. I'll be interested to see the tune in 2 seasons time.

Last edited:
The article is spot on with the exception of Merriweather.

NE couldnt hold a lead in 2007. Remember the Miami game where Brady had to come back in a score more points because Miami scored a few quick TDs?

In 2009, the better passing teams picked on one Patriot DB ....usually Wilhite, Springs also. Sure the QB pressure was anemic, but I'm betting Pees felt that it was more important to flood the secondary with CBs and Safeties than rushing 5 or 6 guys. Look at the Jets. Revis alone on the teams best WR allows the Jets so many options blitzing. The Pats didn't have that luxury....hopefully they will now.

Last edited:
The author should attempt an analysis of the other 31 teams in the league to see if this phenomenon is widespread or if there is some other reason the rest of them failed to make it to four superbowls and win three in the same period in which Belichick was failing like Hitler...

I think the fact that we lost Rodney for most of 2005 and again down the stretch in 2006, Tedy for most of 2005 and TJ for all of it, that after Branch shot his way out of town our #1WR in 2006 was the incomparable Reche Caldwell, that after somehow clawing our way to 18-0 in 2007 in spite of Bill's Hitler like incompetance, Neal again went down in the Superbowl and the rest of the OL spit the bit (apparentely taking their cue from none other than Asante Samuel who did the same on defense), that Brady was lost in the first quarter of 2008 and the defense was in full blown rebuild by 2009 had a lot more to do with our struggles to continue to win it all after 2004 than Bill's inability to draft the kind of superior DB's this knucklehead presumes would have mitigated all of that.

Umpteen-uples down is a mix of

Umpteen
Quadruples
double-down

correction:

umpteen
quintuples
double-down

The much better single answer is - Colvin. If he had not been injured he would have brought more pressure then the Pats did get since his injury. Even more critical, they would not have signed AT to that massive contract - and that money could have gone to resign Samuel,

I doubt it.

The article is spot on with the exception of Merriweather.

NE couldnt hold a lead in 2007. Remember the Miami game where Brady had to come back in a score more points because Miami scored a few quick TDs?

ahahahahahahahahaha.....no, I don't.

I DO remember a game where cassel got pulled after a couple plays 'cuz jason taylor picked him off and ran it in for a td, cutting new england's lead to something like 3 scores in the 4th.
what does that have to do with the defense?
do you have any idea wtf you're talking about?

In 2009, the better passing teams picked on one Patriot DB ....usually Wilhite, Springs also. Sure the QB pressure was anemic, but I'm betting Pees felt that it was more important to flood the secondary with CBs and Safeties than rushing 5 or 6 guys. Look at the Jets. Revis alone on the teams best WR allows the Jets so many options blitzing. The Pats didn't have that luxury....hopefully they will now.
You do realize the Revis alone comment is a fallacy right? He has safety cover help a fair bit.

Whether the articles "Cold, Hard Facts" have any merit or not. It's pretty hard to take it all that seriously when the second line is.

But his management of the draft from 2004 to 2009 reminds us of Adolf Hitler's management of the German military from 1941 to 1945: one disastrous decision after another.

Hilter, Really? :rolleyes:

There's hyperbole and out right friggen, of the charts ridiculous. This is the later.

Wow, really dumb. Maybe he should spend more time actually watching and analyzing football rather than trying to invent clever terms which are just plain stupid.

Or we could realize that CHFF is a legitimate website and take a serious look at what the writer is claiming, to determine whether or not he has any valid points.

The writer is comparing Bill Belichick to Adolf Hitler. How seriously do you want me to look at it? If this was a "legitimate" web site, they'd have some names associated to their articles. And they'd be issuing apologies for the comparisons he is making.

If you decide to completely ignore this vile and insulting comparison, then you have an article devoid of any substance.

Whether the articles "Cold, Hard Facts" have any merit or not. It's pretty hard to take it all that seriously when the second line is.

Hilter, Really? :rolleyes:

There's hyperbole and out right friggen, of the charts ridiculous. This is the later.

Just saying Hitler completely takes out of context what the author actually wrote.

Just saying Hitler completely takes out of context what the author actually wrote.

Actually, it's the author who sets the context by comparing Belichick's drafting to Hitler's actions that resulted in the deaths of 60 million people. I don't think you would look at it very kindly if your actions at your job were compared to Hitler.

Ok, so I went back and counted our position breakdown on draft picks over since 2004. Here's how it shakes down:

OL - 12
WR - 6 (counting Edelman)
TE - 5
RB - 4 (the source counted Mills as a FB)
QB - 3
DL - 8
LB - 10
DB - 12
ST - 3

I may have missed a DB somewhere, as the article said 13. Whatever the case, these numbers seem right where they should be. The two positions we draft most often are the two that have the MOST OF THAT POSITION ON THE FIELD AT ONCE. OL always has 5, and DBs have a minimum of 4 with often 5 and sometimes 6.

LBs and DL are consistently 3 or 4 depending on sub packages.

Why it surprises any legitimate article writer that we would take so many DBs in a pass happy league when you field more of them than any other group is mind boggling.

Why it surprises any legitimate article writer that we would take so many DBs in a pass happy league when you field more of them than any other group is mind boggling.

The point the author was making wasn't just the Pats have drafted X number of DBs. It was that they have to keep investing picks on DBs because they haven't done a good job of picking productive players at CB/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe