Not open for further replies.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I would make Patrick Peterson the #1 priority...package picks or whatever it takes. With him and McCourty at CB, it makes the D special.

OLB, DE, WR, DE after that. With the way BJEG is playing, the need for a RB is not that high on the list

I would make Patrick Peterson the #1 priority...package picks or whatever it takes. With him and McCourty at CB, it makes the D special.

OLB, DE, WR, DE after that. With the way BJEG is playing, the need for a RB is not that high on the list

I'd rather pressure the QB with a DE or OLB and go for a CB later in the draft.

He's a terrific player but he's probably going top 5 and that just isn't worth it. With the emergence of McCourty and Chung and Bodden coming back he just becomes superfluous when you consider the needs for OLB, DL, RB, and OL. Law firm has been playing well no doubt but he isn't a feature back by any means, nor does he represent a reliable every down back. I think he's a good player and I think he has cemented a role as a de facto number 2 NFL RB. We can get by with him, sure, but think of how much easier the end of the Indy game would have been if we had a Mark Ingram type RB.

Adding a corner can't hurt when you consider the lack of development by Darius Butler. But to empty the war chest for 1 guy is just stupid. We have a chance to add 4 more starters with these early picks and shouldn't deny ourselves that opportunity.

I know there is a reflex to say you are crazy. #1 pick McCourty on one side and Bodden (new contract) on the other. Butler and Arrington for depth. Pats like to use safeties in nickel/dime formations.

But I think this is the year to almost totally forget about need with that 1st pick. You can throw out QB, TE, OL, NT, ILB and S (either all set and no value in top 15). Other than those, I think you let the draft board come to you:

RB - Ingram...I think Belichick likes what he has with BJGE and Woodhead
WR - Jones/Baldwin/Floyd...Haven't even taken Price out of the packaging yet
DE - Dareus/Fairley/Claiborn/Bailey/Heyward...Very nice
OLB - Quinn/Bowers...Also very nice
CB - Peterson/Amukamara...Both difference-makers

That is 13 players right there. Add in Luck, Green and Mallett to get to 16...so it is a good bet that one of the players above is a Patriot in April. If the draft falls in such a way that Peterson or Amukamara are the top players left on the board, I agree that you take them. Adjust your defense to get all the CBs on the field, freeing up more players to rush the QB.

I think an ideal situation would be to get a DE or OLB with the 1st pick and get the other with the 2nd. The secondary is young and getting better with experience. However, getting an elite talent at any position makes the Pats tougher, faster and more difficult to attack and defend against.

Peterson would cost too much since he will probably be a top 5 pick. The Lions looked liked they could use a CB today.;)

Prince will probably be a top 10 pick. (Cards, 49ers, Cowboys) so is also out of the mix and not worth trading up for.

I do like Brandon Harris CB, Miami as a top 15 pick though and would be happy with that as a first pick.

The reason the Pats are using 3 Safeties in Nickel/Dime is because the Safeties are better than the Corners they have after McCourty/Arrington. If they had bette options at CB they would use them.

I love the idea of a CB in RD1. At first thought, it sounds crazy, since we have HUGE needs at OLB and DE. But imagine if Bodden cannot come back, or if anything happened to McCourty...grab another CB and if Bodden comes back, fine, use the new guy as a nickel. And this gives time to develop Butler.

I cannot see a 12-18 RD1 pick going for a CB, though...

I can see them moving down to BB's sweet spot of 22-26, picking up a RD2 or RD3 or even a RD 2012...then of course move out of the #32 pick - DEN will be desperate to grab a DE for their flailing 3-4 defense and give us both their #2's (42 & 46?) for #32 and #96.

Excited about the WRs coming out this year, but to be honest, where does he play? Tate or Price would have to go, and eventually that might be the case, but for now I see BB figuring that another year of those 2 PLUS Gronk and Hernandez to develop, is enough to pass on the high-pick WRs.

Also can't see a high-pick on an OT - w/o knowing whether Light is gong to be resigned or not...so depth and a starter at LG (Mankins was a LT at Fresno St, so dont be surprised to see a T taken and moved to G).

So, since I am bored:
#24 - Brandon Harris CB

#33 - Cameron Heyward DE (or trade this for future 2012 pick?)

#42 (DEN) - Jeremy Beal OLB, a stud who can play with a hand down, on the line, too.

#46 (DEN) - Daniel Thomas (good RB, GREAT attitude) or Demarco Murray (good RB, great pass-catcher) ...OK - I wish - but more likely they will grab another BJGE later... (or this is a future 2012 pick?)

#50 (approx) - Mark Herzlich, a LB that can cover TEs and play OLB/ILB, great story ....OK - another wish... (or this is a future 2012 pick?)

#64 - Clint Boling OG/OT

#70 (MINN) - Leonard Hankerson WR

4th round picks - 2: normal pick plus Watson compensation (our Denver pick goes to Seattle): sleepers - SS Robert Sands or Andrew Rich, both big SS types; OG Steve Schilling, especially if Light leaves and they grab an OT early; TE Charlie Gantt, Algae Crumpler's understudy; Greg Romeus, a stud before his injury, so a risk/reward guy with the extra pick.

Not sure Peterson is going to have the three cone time that BB craves. BB prefers smaller quicker guys at CB. Plus Peterson is almost a guaranteed top 10 pick at this point.

The CB that BB needs to look at is Harris of Miami. He plays the run better than most CB's in this draft and his coverage is decent. Plus he is a ST demon.

As others pointed out, Bodden's return should really solidify the secondary. I'm not opposed to taking a CB still with the 1st, especially if someone drops, but to package picks to trade up for a position that may not even be a minor need? Not necessary at all.

Last edited:
I don't see the Pats looking at CB in the 1st round. In fact, I'd be surprised if they took one before the 4th round. 3-4 DE, OLB, OT, OG, OC are all BIGGER issues than CB as of right now.

Now, OG could change based on Mankins status. But I still think the Pats need someone because Kaczur is only a few months younger than Light and Kaczur has become very injury prone. As has Stephen Neal.

OT is an issue regardless of whether or not they Re-sign Light. Personally, this is a very good class of tackles and whether you get a LT or a RT, it will be a huge improvement for this O-line.

3-4 DE (specifically RDE) Continues to be an issue and has been since Seymour left. There are excellent players in this draft who could solidify that position.

OLB - Even with the addition of Cunningham and Ninkovich turning into a poor man's Vrable, the Pats need another OLB. Someone who can set the edge and rush the passer. And, this draft happens to have a lot of seniors who are in the good to excellent range. Nevermind any potential juniors who decide to declare.

I'd rather pressure the QB with a DE or OLB and go for a CB later in the draft.

this, and McCourty is looking like he's ready for primetime full time anyway. We may have already found our future lockdown corner.

Well, as always it depends on who is available as the Patriots don't draft for need, but I'd love to see them pick up an OLB who can put some pressure on the QB. I like the way Jermaine Cunningham is coming along, but we could use more depth in that position. If there is an impact CB there then that would be great as well as would someone on the DLine.

Well, as always it depends on who is available as the Patriots don't draft for need, but I'd love to see them pick up an OLB who can put some pressure on the QB. I like the way Jermaine Cunningham is coming along, but we could use more depth in that position. If there is an impact CB there then that would be great as well as would someone on the DLine.

The Patriots draft based on VALUE. Not on Need. Not on best player available. With Bodden, McCourtey, Wilhite, Butler and Arrington, the value that any CB would bring would be lessened. Yes, if whomever the Pats considered to be the top CB in the draft was there when they drafted in the 2nd round, they would probably take him. Because of the value.

That being said, the depth at OLB, DE, and OT is such that I can't see the Pats not going there before considering CB.

Need is a part of the value equation. But only a part of it.

You are right-I should have said value-my mistake.

As others pointed out, Bodden's return should really solidify the secondary. I'm not opposed to taking a CB still with the 1st, especially if someone drops, but to package picks to trade up for a position that may not even be a minor need? Not necessary at all.

Yeah, no offense, BoBox, but actually packaging picks to to chase a Corner, when we've got excellent Depth of Talent at that position, is just an awful idea.

~ The Ripple Effect of drafting a Flanker or MidFielder of equal skill to Peterson would be be greater on the whole Defense.

~ And the Ripple Effect of drafting a Grizzly of equal skill to Peterson would be even greater.

~ Furthermore, we have far greater room for improvement in the Front 7 than we do in the Secondary.

With Bodden, McCourtey, Wilhite, Butler and Arrington, the value that any CB would bring would be lessened. Yes, if whomever the Pats considered to be the top CB in the draft was there when they drafted in the 2nd round, they would probably take him. Because of the value.

That being said, the depth at OLB, DE, and OT is such that I can't see the Pats not going there before considering CB.

Agreed -- it's not that an all-world CB wouldn't be a lovely addition, it's that the team would be improved more by upgrading to all-world at other positions. Bodden/McCourty should already be one of the league's better tandems.

OT isn't likely to offer an all-world option this year, but OLB and DE definitely could.

You know, thinking more about this I'd like to clarify my response. I was responding to the title of the thread, not to the player.

I would give serious consideration to either Peterson or Amakamura if they were available in round 1, to play free safety.

You know, thinking more about this I'd like to clarify my response. I was responding to the title of the thread, not to the player.

I would give serious consideration to either Peterson or Amakamura if they were available in round 1, to play free safety.

Peterson at safety in our defense is an intriguing thought.

Needless to say our defense is light years more complicated than the mad hatter Miles's defense so Peterson would need some serious study time to learn it.

But once he gets on the field in our defense, I think he would be better suited to playing safety than CB while in coverage, but in run support, that might be ugly and not work so well.

I'd like to see picks for the lines--DE, and no matter what the deal is w/Mankins, offensive line. Honestly, beyond that, I wouldn't look for high picks anywhere....w/Bodden & Warren coming back, I'd be content looking for WRs, RBs, and even OLBs further down.

I'd like to see picks for the lines--DE, and no matter what the deal is w/Mankins, offensive line. Honestly, beyond that, I wouldn't look for high picks anywhere....w/Bodden & Warren coming back, I'd be content looking for WRs, RBs, and even OLBs further down.

I agree, a stud 3-4 DE is a high priority, but their is only 1 in this draft, Dareus. If Dareus is gone when we pick, BB is not going to reach for a projection selection. So it is possible that he looks back into the secondary for a compliment to McCourty, regardless of what happens with Bodden.

I'm not as well versed on the players as many here (I always joke that i'm not a college football fan until March), but my first instinct is to agree that DE/OLB are first priority, or an Ingram.

Still I was intrigued by Peter King's column today. He ranked his top 5 players likely to be available in next year's draft. In order: Luck, Bowers, Green, Amukamara and Peterson. I thought it was interesting that he described Amukamara as "Mature kid. Could be a taller Devin McCourty."

With the Raiders falling (or rising!), and the way teams fall in love with DEs and flashy receivers, it's conceivable Amukamara could be available and make things interesting.

Andre Johnson-Cortland Finnegan fight should have drawn suspensions - Peter King - SI.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3