Welcome to PatsFans.com

CB Namdi Asomugha signs for just $1.35 million, not guaranteed, with 49ers

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Onedaful, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onedaful

Onedaful PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Anyone think Asomugha might have been worth picking up for a one year deal after looking at the contract he just signed? 1.35 million with no guaranteed money sounds like a man with something to prove. If we could have acquired him for that kind of contract and had him not play zone but rather tight man to man I think it might have been worth it.
  2. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 1 / -0

It's not as simple as giving him the same contract or a little more to get him to come to NE. He played at Cal-Berkeley and then in Oakland, and now he's right back in the same area. The Pats could not have offered him the same chance to go "home."
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

There is no reason to believe that he would have signed with the patriots for even twice that amount of money. Yes, he wanted to prove something. And yes, he likes the Bay Area much better than the Northeast.

4. tonyto3690

tonyto3690 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's also pretty clear the niners are the team to beat.

They are set at every position except fs and de and have fifteen draft picks to get two starters.

I think the long term success people are projecting for them is overrated but they are clearly a better team than the patriots right now.

I'm just hoping we dont get boned by injuries while the niners and Seahawks are relatively unscathed for another season. Them and the falcons. And broncos. Ravens are a 9-10 win team.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

Do you worry that any of these other teams get "boned by injuries" or is your concern exclusive to the Patriots???..

Having a lot of talent, does not always equate to a good team..
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +495 / 6 / -7

Who do they have at SS?
  7. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0

It's amazing to me that a guy that recently good got such chump change. I get that being close to home is nice, but I would like to have signed him for double or even triple what he got. He's really really good.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +495 / 6 / -7

I know the market is depressed and all, but it doesn't seem like there are many teams out there that agree.
  9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 7 / -5

The problem with having that many picks and that few needs is that most of the time, you end up drafting a bunch of players for other teams (see: 2007 Patriots).
  10. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Exhibit A would be the "Dream Team" Eagles who underachieved.
    Unfortunately, the Niners were better than the Pats last year and have only added better talent, experience, and will add quality depth with a boatload of draft picks…sounds alot like the mid 2000's Patriots!
    Now, hopefully they will continue to suffer the same playoff disappointment we have post-2005 while we get the trophy back.
  11. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 10 / -9

Donte Whitner
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +495 / 6 / -7

So they need two starting safeties.
  13. JMC00

JMC00 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +534 / 12 / -10

most overrated cornerback in the last 15 years of the league.

Devin McCourty in 3 years in the league has 1 less INT than him and just over half as many PD as him(43 to his 79) and Asomugha has been in the league 10 years.

Yes I know McCourty went to Safety but the bulk of those INTS and PD came with him playing CB.

He got overrated in Oakland because teams didn't have to throw it against the Raiders because they sucked at stopping the run. In the 5 years he was their #1 CB the Raiders were 25th, 31st, 31st, 29th and 29th against the run.

In those same years this is how they ranked in least pass attempts against 1st, 2nd, 5th, 1st and 1st. Hmmm I wonder why that is. Wasn't because they had a shutdown pass defense.

Remember the '08 game when the Pats ran 38 times for 277 yards against them? With Sammy Morris 14 for 117 and Lamont Jordan 12 for 97 and a TD each.
  14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,466 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Tony is about as big of a chicken little as one can possibly be (and he may be NEM or maverick), but he has a point. Year in and year out, the Patriots seem to incur more injuries to their starting players and "stars" than most teams in the league. Hell, injury to one of their main passing options that last two seasons alone has cost this team one Super Bowl victory and at least an appearance in another. And even in the AFCCG this year, the team was doing fine until it's CB1 left the game with injury. Then the floodgates opened.
  15. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +915 / 5 / -4

Are they? On paper maybe. They have some question marks that could definitely make or break their season including:

• Justin Smith. He is coming back from a major injury that made him less effective down the stretch and he is going to be 34.
    • Will teams catch up to the pistol and Kaepernick? I think one of the big advantages down the stretch for the 49ers was that Kaepernick was a relatively new starter going into the playoffs and most teams didn't have a book on him and the pistol offense. With an entire offseason, we will find out if he is the real deal or a gimmick like the wildcat which was impossible to defend for about one season until everyone figured out how to defend it.
  16. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +915 / 5 / -4

On the face of it, he was only so good because teams were afraid to throw in his direction. It was easier to avoid him than say Revis since Asomugha lined up on the right side of the field and usually drew the #2 or #3 WR while Revis follows the #1 all the time.
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +495 / 6 / -7

This is definitely the wildcard. Aldon Smith was a shadow of his usual self without Justin Smith holdi...err...clearing the way for him.
  18. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 10 / -9

Not quite... I think most other teams would welcome Donte Whitner with open arms.
  19. Onedaful

Onedaful PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I really honestly don't believe that he is over rated in tight man to man coverage. He's not good against the run or zone I agree but I was looking at the money aspect and terms of his contract and would have loved to roll the dice on him. But like other people are saying, I didn't factor in the part about him being home.
  20. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -1

I think it is safe to say that this same question is being asked today on message boards of 31 NFL teams.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.