PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Namdi Asomugha signs for just $1.35 million, not guaranteed, with 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whitner was ill suited for the Bills' Tampa 2 ,4/3 defense...SF runs a 3/4...Whitner isn't an especially adept cover safety but his 80+ tackles last season shows he's better going where the ball is and running freely in the secondary rather than just dropping into coverage in the Tampa 2.

Whitner WAS a high first round pick ...Buffalo has ruined more than a few promising players by trying to force square pegs into round holes.

Maybe BB did talk to him and his agent behind the scene?

The only reason why BB would not even address the cb's via free agency, is that he thinks that they are set, thinks Dowling will be healthy finally and if needed, DMC can go back to corner if needed.

Maybe BB goes FS in the draft?

49ers have a better defense and pass rush and he's home and all that good stuff but I never heard anything about the pats even offering him a contract or even talking to him the pats are going young even the Jags the pats signed this year are younger then the norm for the pats

Not quite... I think most other teams would welcome Donte Whitner with open arms.

Whitner's not very good, and would look even worse on a team without SF's surrounding cast.

By all means, though, I'd love for SF to keep him as their starter. Will give opposing teams a weakness to exploit, just as the Ravens did.

I was hot for Aso when the FA season started, but the fact he signed for so short a term and for so little money makes me think I was seriously mistaken. It could just be that Aso might just be one of those guys, that when it starts to go, it goes fast. He was a liability in Philly according to most Eagle fans, and clearly nothing in his recent tapes led any GM's to actively bid for his services. His contract doesn't even come CLOSE to the deflated contracts that the rest of the "top" CB's had to sign.

As for SF, consider this. Last season the Niners (especially on D) had one of the healthiest years of any NFL team in recent years. IIRC, 10 of their Defensive starters played over 9O% of their defensive snaps, and relatively few problems on offense either. That's a much bigger factor in the Niner's success last season that most would want to believe.

Tony is about as big of a chicken little as one can possibly be (and he may be NEM or maverick), but he has a point. Year in and year out, the Patriots seem to incur more injuries to their starting players and "stars" than most teams in the league. Hell, injury to one of their main passing options that last two seasons alone has cost this team one Super Bowl victory and at least an appearance in another. And even in the AFCCG this year, the team was doing fine until it's CB1 left the game with injury. Then the floodgates opened.

"They seem to", is the operative phrase. Have always felt that the deeper you get into the playoffs the less time to heal and get ready for next year, and a higher incidence of injuries the following season. From myopic view, this always seemed true of the Patriots..

Would like to see a longitudinal study of this issue, to see if it relates and if there is significance. Would think that it would be an issue for the NFLPA who are against an 18 game season..

"They seem to", is the operative phrase. Have always felt that the deeper you get into the playoffs the less time to heal and get ready for next year, and a higher incidence of injuries the following season. From myopic view, this always seemed true of the Patriots..

Would like to see a longitudinal study of this issue, to see if it relates and if there is significance. Would think that it would be an issue for the NFLPA who are against an 18 game season..

I'm sure there is someone here with the time to throw that together. Otherwise, I could also say that teams tend to get really up for the Patriots, given their long term success over the last decade plus, and tend to play the game like it's a playoff game... causing more nicks and bumps.

Without looking it up, I wonder whether he has wife & kids living in the Bay Area. Or, if he's single, ex-girlfriends.

.... And even in the AFCCG this year, the team was doing fine until it's CB1 left the game with injury. Then the floodgates opened....

That is not quite correct. By the time Talib went down, Jones, Gronk, Love were also down and out. Then the flodgates opened with no pass rush, no relief for Wilfork, an undermaned secondary, playing the 5th CB Marquis Cole, who was being barbequed.

That make four starters out, three of eleven, on the Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back