PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassell or Culpepper...if Brady were to get injured...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cassell or Culpepper,,,if Brady were to get injured...

There's way, way too much love for Cassel on this board. First people speculating that the Patriots could trade him to a contending team (Atlanta) for a 1st or 2nd rounder, thinking they'd use him as a starter, and then saying that if the Patriots had Daunte Culpepper, they'd use Cassel instead.

Cassel is a project and remains as such. If BB felt confident with Cassel as the starter, he wouldn't have brought in Testaverde last year, and Vinny's about 84 and looked god awful the last time he had the ball in his hands (and I always thought Vinny was the scariest QB in the league because of how he could suddenly go hot and tear apart any team, even at the age of 40).

Thank god a fellow sane person in the Culppper vs. Cassel debate. It amazes me the short memory people have. If Manning hadn't thrown up 50+ TDs a few years ago, people would still be talking about the amazing year Cpep had that year, but he was overshadowed by Manning.

A healthy Culpepper is a no-brainer over Cassel.

People talk **** about how Cpep couldn't beat out Cleo Lemon last year, the dude was less than 1 yr removed from a gruesome triple tear in his knee.

Anyone who saw Cpep throw a pass last season could tell he was still favoring that knee way too much and rushed himself back onto the field.

If he is even 85% of his pre-injury form he is a no-brainer over Cassel.

Cassel played one mop up game vs. the Fins and looked decent, and people are ready to hand over the keys to the Porsche. Crazy.

I like Cassel and think he has potential, but come on, a healthy Cpep is a solid vet backup.

And people who say he can't read Ds blah blah blah, how on earth do you play at the level he did for an extended period of time in the NFL if you can't read a defense. "Oh he just threw the ball up to Moss". Yeah, ok.

Explains why he had his killer season with Moss injured half the time.

I'd even go that one better and take the other Matt ahead of Culpepper...and I haven't even seen him on a football field in my life. And after that I'd hunt down Rohan as my 5th QB.

And Troy Brown as your 6th QB?

Still I'd rather have Cassell. I don't think he is a hidden All Pro whithering on the bench, but i think he, more than anyone knows that. if he finds himself playing meaningful minutes he will be a game manager. Culpepper has a lot of baggege and a chip on his shoulder to prove he could still be a starter-recipe for poor decisions.
I'd be happy if he played the Earl Morrall/ Don Strock role for the Pats over his career. Let's take it a step further: Guttierrez shows he's also starter material along the lines of a Steve Young and is happy to stay with the team as a backup until Brady retires with an ironman record. Guttierrez becomes the starter, and Cassell plays the Earl Morrall role to his retirement.

Hey, it's offseason, we can always dream, can't we?

Last edited:
Cassell

Last time I saw Fumblepepper he could barely walk never mind play football.

He sucked his last year and a half in Minny and he sucked last year for the fish...

No Thanks.

Culpepper to Moss in Pats unis...

how odd would that be?

I love a good debate..It seems as if we have supporters for both Cassell and Culpepper in this forum.

Cassell, without question. He's shown plenty in the games he's been in. Culpepper is finished as a first-rate qb.

casell,
he is a good no 2.What is the point of having a No2 if in reality you believe he is not a no2.I am suprised so many believe that BB/Scott are so bad in developing first backups in their tenture in NE.In every position we have starter quality backup yet BB/Scott ability to have good No2 is being questioned.

support a guy who could not cut it in a really dumbed down offence and beat out joey harrington and lemon in miami When some one plays 1 great year [2004] and did not do anything in their 7 yr career , is not healthy ,is currently overweight is getting props.i am sure this are the same people who rate asante as the best cb and same level at champ bailey[they had both the same interception this year you know].

satz

Last edited:
support a guy who could not cut it in a really dumbed down offence and beat out joey harrington and lemon in miami When some one plays 1 great year [2004] and did not do anything in their 7 yr career , is not healthy ,is currently overweight is getting props.i am sure this are the same people who rate asante as the best cb and same level at champ bailey[they had both the same interception this year you know].

satz

Harrington's in Atlanta. Cleo Lemon is a backup, and I think a very talented one at that. Trent Green is the Dolphins new starter, and yes, I'd take Trent Green over Matt Cassel as well. Culpepper had 3 good years, including his first year as a starter (2000), and the year before his super season (2003). His completion percentage has never been lower than 60%, while Cassel's lies at a wonderful 50% over his career. The only problem with Culpepper is interceptions, statwise. Yes, he is not the QB he was then because of his injury. But Cassel has not started a meaningful game in well over half a decade.

He hasn't even shown anything in any of the games he's been in, other than that one half in the Dolphins game; even then, he has problems staying in the pocket and isn't the most accurate passer in the world. And this was often against the other team's scrubs in the last half of preseason games.

Last edited:
I love a good debate..It seems as if we have supporters for both Cassell and Culpepper in this forum.

this is not a good debate

Culpepper is toast--and I wouldn't want him on this team anyways--bringing that junk in would be an act of desperation--give to to Cassell or Testeverde and let them manage the offense

Culpepper...good grief... :bricks:

oh wait

this is a fantasy football question?

ah

I'd bring back Jeff George :woohoo:

oh wait

this is a fantasy football question?

ah

I'd bring back Jeff George :woohoo:
Dang it, who's that Arena Football kid in Canada? Used to be ahead of Brady on the depth chart? Heck, if folks want someone washed up to throw interceptions there's a fellow in Montana who might answer.

Ha! The memory kicked in, Bishop is in the CFL and should be all ready to beat out Culpepper for waterboy.

Last edited:
Personally, I can honestly say I don't know. I don't think anyone knows for sure what kind of QBs either Cassel or Culpepper are at this point.

Cassel has never really gotten to show what he can do. The Pats are high on him, but that doesn't mean that if Brady went down for a long period of time that Cassel could come in and just not screw up or better than that. We have seen signs of him being able to hold down the fort, but we haven't seen that much of him. Look at Tony Romo, he looked like a future superstar his first four or five games and then looked like crap after people figured him out. Cassel just hasn't played many games in college or the NFL.

As for Culpepper, we have no idea what his knee is going to be like. The guy has lived off his legs more than any other QB other than Michael Vick in recent history. Part of what made him effective in the past was the fact that people feared him taking off with the ball and how hard it was to bring him down. Both those aspects will be neutralized until he gets back to close to 100%.

I guess if I had to pick, I would choose Cassel. I think if Brady misses more than a couple of games, our season is over anyway. But if our season is lost, I would rather see what we have in Cassel and potentially trade him in the offseason.

Culpepper. Without a doubt. Cassel hasn't started a game since high school, Culpepper, three years ago, put up the second best season for a QB in history. Of course, alot of that had to do with his top receiver, but, um...

As far as a #2 guy for now - its Cassell in a landslide.

But if Culppepper is healthy I don't have a problem with him if that's what BB wants.

It all depends on Culpepper's health. He was not healthy last year and I don't think he's healthy now (no matter what he says, he said he was healthy last year when he wasn't too)

But I'm not so quick to write off Culpepper as a 3rd QB. I prefer having a veteran in that role believe it or not, thinking that it makes sense, if something happens to your starter, to go with a guy like Cassell who effectively plays the same system as your starter providing for some consistency.

If the 2nd string guy doesn't work, screw the system - go with veteran leadership.

We had Flutie as backup and he couldn't have been more different than Brady - so even though Culpepper plays a different type of ball I could deal with him being a 3rd string guy just in case Cassell couldn't get the job done if needed.

Last edited:
Personally, I can honestly say I don't know. I don't think anyone knows for sure what kind of QBs either Cassel or Culpepper are at this point.

Cassel has never really gotten to show what he can do. The Pats are high on him, but that doesn't mean that if Brady went down for a long period of time that Cassel could come in and just not screw up or better than that. We have seen signs of him being able to hold down the fort, but we haven't seen that much of him. Look at Tony Romo, he looked like a future superstar his first four or five games and then looked like crap after people figured him out. Cassel just hasn't played many games in college or the NFL.

As for Culpepper, we have no idea what his knee is going to be like. The guy has lived off his legs more than any other QB other than Michael Vick in recent history. Part of what made him effective in the past was the fact that people feared him taking off with the ball and how hard it was to bring him down. Both those aspects will be neutralized until he gets back to close to 100%.

I guess if I had to pick, I would choose Cassel. I think if Brady misses more than a couple of games, our season is over anyway. But if our season is lost, I would rather see what we have in Cassel and potentially trade him in the offseason.

Nice fair and balanced post. Unfortunately, I agree with the conclusion in your final paragraph. :(

We an overload at wide reciever, I would prefer to keep only two QB's, and carry six wr's (Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Brown, Jackson). Say what you want about Jackson, but I think he will be ready by the time the season starts...I doubt he goes on PUP. Gaffney and Washington will either be cut or traded to the Titans.

this thread can only lead to trade brady for trent green thread next.

Its almost an inevitable thing that during his tenure with his team,the starting QB gets injured if not for a few plays then maybe a week or two or even the entire season :eek:

According to Sirius radio,Reports are out that although its unconfirmed,the Patriots may be one of the 3 teams interested in Daunte Culpepper and for the Patriots it would probably be for veteran presence and to which is obviously nothing more than insurance for Brady's position for 2nd or 3rd string QB.

Aha ... guilty ... forgot to knock on wood didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News