PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news, he really does seem to be developing and this will really boost his confidence.

I have a basic question about what can, and cannot, be developed with training. Namely, can adult players learn to not telegraph, or is it one of those habits that people never grow out of? Cassell does it really badly.

This isn't meant to be one of those 'Fire Cassel' questions, just a dunce question and people here know wayyyyyyy more than me about football.

I am pretty sure he had several completions longer than ten yards (and I do mean that he threw it in the air more than 10 (not a screen)).

The only complaint I would have with this award is didn't Morris deserve it more?

I think this could wind up being a huge confidence builder for Cassel.

Among AFC RB's Lendale White ran for more yards on about the same # of carries and 3 TD's to Sammy's 1 so no, it was the 3 TD's plus leading 4 additional scoring drives as the QB that won it for Cassel.

Re: Matt Cassel - AFC Offensive Player of the Week

In Garbargza's defense, he isn't the only one who will refuse to admit he was wrong.
**Harumph** I have no idea what you are talking about.
tongue-smiley-8853.gif

Here is a good question for Pats fans.

Cassel was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week. Does it make him a AFC "Defensive" Player of the Previous 5 Weeks even though he hasn't participated in our D?

Cassel was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week. Does it make him a AFC "Defensive" Player of the Previous 5 Weeks even though he hasn't participated in our D?

J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!!!!

Why? Are you saying he did not deserve it?

It's too early to celebrate. What happens if he plays poorly in the next 2 or 3 weeks?

wtf_cat.jpg.w300h371_HeOTTJstzM5Z.jpg

It's too early to celebrate. What happens if he plays poorly in the next 2 or 3 weeks?

If it's only him playing poorly then he will be criticized... and rightfully so. If the entire team plays poorly then the same thing will happen on a wider scale. Oh, and... shut up. :cool:

Did anyone ask that last year when Brady got this award?

I will give the Cassel bashers this, it was a bad week for offensive players in the AFC this week. But I felt Cassel deserved an A- for his game on Monday night, maybe a B+. People will never give this guy a break. He didn't do anything to help the Pats lose the game other than one bad pass and he did a lot to help win the game.

The haters are too hung up on the sacks which many of them weren't his fault. One that was (the one right before the half) would have been probably been a sack if Brady was in the same situation. People trashed him for not getting rid of the ball in that case when the smart thing to do in that particular situation was to take the sack and protect the ball.

You just revealed yourself, troll. Please jump in front of the next moving bus you see.

Unbelievable. I generously graded Cassel a "B"; he was averaging a "B-" on the Globe's website.

He was fortunate to avoid a turnover on a terrible pass (totally out of reach that 2(!) defenders had legitimate chances to intercept) to Faulk, was sacked 6 times (half at least which were his fault) and didn't throw a pass that was in the air more than 10 yards downfield. But the NFL in all of its wisdom believes that this adequate performance is worthy of being called the very best offensive player of the week. :rolleyes:

How the hell were 3 of the 6 sacks Matt's fault? 4 of the 6 were directly the fault of Morris, Watson, Faulk, and Thomas not being able to block on a situation where the D-line tipped its hand to the blitz WAY early.

Grats to Cassel, I don't really believe he deserved it, but he did play decent and hopefully he can build on this for next week.

You just revealed yourself, troll. Please jump in front of the next moving bus you see.

He very clearly is not excluding himself from the group he's naming. You guys are so obsessed with "unmasking trolls".

I admit I'm a little surprised by this but I'm fully in support of anything that'll boost Cassel's confidence. I still wish the pass protection would do its damn job so we could actually see the kind of quarterback Cassel can be.

He very clearly is not excluding himself from the group he's naming. You guys are so obsessed with "unmasking trolls".

They are what they are....

The fourth-year veteran connected with wide receiver Wes Welker on a six-yard toss for his career-best third touchdown of the night.

According to the right up he's a fourth year vet. So now everyone can be happy.

Congrats Matt, nicely done.

How the hell were 3 of the 6 sacks Matt's fault? 4 of the 6 were directly the fault of Morris, Watson, Faulk, and Thomas not being able to block on a situation where the D-line tipped its hand to the blitz WAY early.

Devil's advocate: If the blitz was that obvious, Cassel can do a better job of getting rid of the ball more quickly. Not all the time of course, but he does need to cut down the sacks, as does the O-line. It's a group effort: Brady masked some O-line faults by making good reads and getting rid of the ball quickly, and Cassel needs to work to do the same.

I support the guy, though, and I think it's awesome he got this award.

But how anybody can crap on this award kind of sucks. New Englanders are more negative than the left side of the number line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News