PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you care more about you preseason prediction that Matt Cassel ought be cut, then you do about either honestly assessing the team or its players.

Actually, I made no such prediction (you must be confusing me with someone else) nor did I believe Cassel would be cut (he was their #2 QB through all of training camp). That being said, I certainly wasn't impressed by Cassel throughout training camp. I think that probably puts me in sync with the majority of posters here. :)

You predicted Denver would win 31-17. Cause you had no confidence in the team and were surprised they were favored.

Now that is quite true. Welcome to the NFL this year; no one seems to have much of a clue what any team is going to do against any other team. My predictions, had they been fulfilled, would have the Patriots at a 5-1 record at this point (6-1 if you count the game this coming week) - not exactly a very negative outlook for the hometown team. :)

Then despite predicting a Denver win. You were not impressed by the win despite the huge advantage on the scoreboard. You went on to explain the only reason the Patriots won is because Denver stunk.

Well, I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way. Actually, I don't think I've really commented on the game as a whole, just on Cassel's performance at QB. What I've been trying to say about Cassel is that he played above average but still showed a lot of his well-documented flaws in this game. Also, he got lucky in a few cases (I think that Champ Bailey going out was part of that luck.)

As far as the Patriots in general, I think they played a great game. The defense caused critical turnovers and consistently took away Denver receivers. The run defense looked much better than previous weeks. The Patriots running game looked great - but against one of the worst run defenses I've seen in a while. It remains to be seen if the Patriots can mount a true running attack against a team that is ranked in the top half of the NFL in rush defense.

In summary, the Patriots D stepped it up big time against what has been a pretty potent offensive attack. The Patriots O got a few breaks and played an above average game against a defense that looks pretty pathetic most weeks.

You are letting your hatred of Matt cloud your judgment. Didn't want him on the team. And you are unwilling to admit BB was right and you were wrong.

I have no hatred of Matt Cassel. I do believe that many posters here are black and white; either you love someone or you hate someone. I'm a shades of gray person. Matt Cassel shouldn't have been cut, but he's not a true starter either.

I am an O'Connell supporter. That doesn't mean that I know O'Connell is a better player than Cassel at the moment - he probably isn't. Cassel has done one really important thing really, really well which is to limit turnovers. That gets you an awful lot on this team.

I do believe that O'Connell would likely do as much or more positive than Matt Cassel at the QB position. However, there's no guarantee that he'd be as effective at avoiding the negative. If Cassel starts producing significant negative plays in the weeks ahead, then it wouldn't surprise me in the least if O'Connell became the starting QB (in fact, I did predict that a few weeks back - and now expect that my prediction will be wrong :) ). That being said, Cassel has certainly been good enough to not lose which is what most backup QBs are asked to do. As long as he continues to do that, I expect his job is safe.

BTW, I also predicted the Patriots would be 12-4 after Brady went down when it was known Cassel would be the starter. Personally, I think that makes me one of the optimistic posters here. :)

Re: Matt Cassel - AFC Offensive Player of the Week

300h.jpg

SAY WHAT?
Matt did a great job this week. He played a great game and earned this honor.

Matt Cassel shouldn't have been cut, but he's not a true starter either.

I do not understand this at all. How can a young QB be deemed a "true starter" after 6 games? It's getting old bringing up Brady but again in 2001 Brady did not look like a "true starter" either, until later in the season, and still he had his weaknesses that took 2-3 years to see marked improvement. Cassel is on the BB-student-QB path, he most likely will leave class early (after this year) but this is going to do worlds of good for his career. This year I expect him to progress into a solid contributor by playoff time.

BTW, I also predicted the Patriots would be 12-4 after Brady went down when it was known Cassel would be the starter. Personally, I think that makes me one of the optimistic posters here. :)

12-4 sounded right to me then, and sounds right to me now.

Re: Matt Cassel - AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Cassel
+ Knows the offense and executes most of it well without requiring a CTRL-ALT-Delete of the team offense
+ Has not made many bad decisions that resulted in picks
+ Has held onto the ball despite being pummeled by sacks
+ Has shown on several occasions that he can check down from his 1st options to a safety outlet
+ Has made a few big plays contributing to wins
+ Has run for several key 1st downs

- Shows lack of pocket sense in failing to anticipate the rush and geting rid of the ball on time
- Not quick enough picking up his alternate receivers in many cases
- Stares at his primary receiver too often, notably on the quick screen plays (could not believe how CLUELESS Denver's D was seeing this)

- Failed to establish himself as a serious threat in the medium to deep parts of the field
- Under pressure goes from pass to run too soon

It's reasonable that with continued coaching and game experience he can improve on several deficiencies

Very nicely put. Based on your observations, you probably have apprehensions, but are holding out hope that he will continue his growth, and that that growth will come quickly enough to have a huge impact this season (say 10-6 or so and a nice playoff run). There are some who believe that given his performance (and pedigree and/or lack of prior experience) that growth may not come quickly enough. The Cassel bashers are annoying, but the "experts" on this forum who belittle those who have watched the games and have significant reservations with Cassel's performances are really annoying. We're (or most of us) are huge fans. It's a half full vs half empty argument - not an informed or elitist or know it all vs uninformed argument (as some on this board try to portray it by bringing up stats or ratings or comparisons to young Tom Brady).

Three TDs against no turnovers is really good; no disputing that. The numbers definately looked better than Cassel did on the field.

You should not attempt to be evenhanded on this board. WTF? Don't you know you risk being labeled a "hater." No doubt you haven't watched enough football to believe your own eyes, he had a 130 rating? That's all you need to know and report on.

I agree. That statement is just crazy. The fact that people quote it and say good post is disappointing.

You guys realize the vast majority of fans in the league are *surprised* (to put it kindly) about this award, Patriots fans included? Matt Cassel himself said he was surprised. The fact that people might question it does not automatically boot them out of some exclusive "Patriots fans" club. Please get off your high horses.

You are booted and are neither cheerful nor for Tom. Tom does not hate. You are banned from using a moniker that contains Tom. Hater.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes