PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

The deal makes a lot of sense for Carolina and New England. The question is what Peppers is willing to accept as compensation.

I was in class when I heard...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

What was that? :D

AAAAArgh ! Why do these people continually torment us with pics of over-the-top hotness ? Blast you. Concentrating on potential front 7, focusing on defensive front, must avoid direct eye contact with firm, slightly revealed buns.

For what it's worth:
S. Merriman - 6'4" 272lbs
D. Ware - 6'4" 262 lbs
M. Vrabel - 6'4" 261
W. McGinest - 6'5" 268
G. Ellis (Dallas) - 6'6" 270
J. Taylor - 6'6" 244
P. Woods - 6'5" 250
S. Crable 6'5" 234
V. Redd 6'6" 265
J. Peppers 6'7" 283 lbs

I'm not trying to insinuate anything about Peppers' potential performance as a pass rushing OLB -- but where would the comparisons begin? He'd be the biggest LB in the NFL by an inch - and guys at 6'6" are rare. There are maybe 10 6'5" LB's that I found on NFL rosters, and then a whole host of good pass rushers at 6'4". We know Belichick loves him some big players, moving Peppers off the line gives him the biggest LB in the NFL.

I haven't watched J. Peppers play much at all, so I have no idea what kind of speed he's got.

Carolina needs to make a deal soon.

I agree, I suspect Peppers hasnt signed the tender until he gets some guarantees of where he gets traded to ... once thats ironed out and they accept our #34 (and maybe an added 4th or 5th to sweeten) then its in their interests to complete this ASAP so they can be active in FA and work to resign their stars like Beason, Williams etc

IMO this will be one this tag and trade in a day scenarios and when things get broken publicly like this I tend to think it makes the FO's conclude things a little quicker

This would be incredible if true, but I'm a little skeptical about the report.

1.) Vic has no idea when it's going to happen. Between the 22-25 and the draft? So basically all he reveals is it won't happen this week because once this week is over, I could give you the same owners meetings and draft timeline without any source telling me that.

2.) We don't have the cap space. This might not be a big deal since there are ways to create it, but it definitely complicates things more.

3.) Why wouldn't the Panthers want the 23rd pick? It's not like a top 5 pick where you are paying out of the ass and if they deal Peppers, they free up over $16M and no longer have huge cap problems like they currently do. I could see preferring the 2nd right now when they are strapped up against the cap, but why would they do that when they have tons of room?

4.) Since when does Belichick allow his off-season plan and deals he's trying to complete to be leaked out to the media so far in advance?

On the optimistic side, this is a pretty good source usually. You don't see BS rumors/articles posted on NFL.com/Carucci and if they are posting it, they really believe it and generally have good sources.

seconded.

that article sounds like a bit of a crock.
first he says the pats dealt cassel to free up cap room to absorb the peppers cap hit, then you saw them go on a fa spending spree w/it.
also, he seems to think the pats willingly took less than a first rounder for cassel simply because the panthers didn't want a first round pick??

if this whole thing were true the way he was reporting it, why wouldn't the peppers deal be the absolute first thing the pats do 5 min after the cassel deal, so they could absorb the 17m hit, then immediately sign him to a more '09 cap friendly long term deal, allowing them enough space to sign the guys they've already signed?

why wait 'til they're 5m under to complete a deal for a 17m player?
at this point, how do the pats come up w/the extra 12m to consumate this deal --- and if it's cutting faulk and another half dozen players, I don't think I'm on board w/that.

I can't wait to see what the post-draft Patriots are going to look like. To think that the report also mentions the Pats' facscination with ILB from USC... maybe those #2s are going to be put to bigtime usage. With this first going to Carolina, the last to package the #23 to get Rey.

Sometimes, if it sounds too good to be true...

Here's a question : is the potentially uncapped year in '10 making this a "go for it" type of season (not that it isn't usually, but there are usually steps taken to avoid cap problems down the road) ?

This trade is going down! It's just a matter of when it's going down. I knew the Pats didn't want to trade Vrabel without a legit replacement. But for a second round pick, how can you not take this deal? Peppers is an outstanding player and can only help the Pats. It's a risky move, but I think Peppers can make the transition to OLB in a 3-4. Remember, this guy wants to be in a 3-4.

I just cant see how this can work cap wise...unless we plan on trading seymour or green. speaking of which we just re signed Tank WIlliams , Ray Ventrone and Wesley Britt and also signed C Al Johnson according to patriots.com...what are we? 2.5 under the cap now?

I just cant see how this can work cap wise...unless we plan on trading seymour or green. speaking of which we just re signed Tank WIlliams , Ray Ventrone and Wesley Britt and also signed C Al Johnson according to patriots.com...what are we? 2.5 under the cap now?

Throw the cap out the window. Teams find a way to sign anybody they want. How come nobody is questioning how the Redskins were able to afford the ridiculous contracts they threw at Haynsworth and Hall? They didn't have that much more cap space than the Pats at the start of free agency.

Last edited:

Throw the cap out the window. Teams find a way to sign anybody they want. How come nobody is questioning how the Redskins were able to afford the ridiculous contracts they threw at Haynsworth and Hall? They didn't have that much more cap space than the Pats at the start of free agency.

If theres a will theres a way!!

I think everyone questioned it at one point or another, but i suppose ur right. on another note let's say we do make this trade and give Peppers a huge contract I just hope it wont rub Big Vince the wrong way(which im sure it will). Hopefully it doesnt end up in a hold out of any sort I.E the Asante and Deon Branch situation.

I think everyone questioned it at one point or another, but i suppose ur right. on another note let's say we do make this trade and give Peppers a huge contract I just hope it wont rub Big Vince the wrong way(which im sure it will). Hopefully it doesnt end up in a hold out of any sort I.E the Asante and Deon Branch situation.

You are right. That is the only thing that we should worry about if this trade goes down and they give Peppers a big deal before they extend Wilfork. But again, if it's an uncapped year in 2010, it all comes down to whether Kraft wants to shell out the money for Wilfork. With the amount of revenue the Pats bring in, it shouldn't be a problem. Now if the Pats were a small market team, you can kiss Wilfork goodbye. If the NFL becomes uncapped, most of the big market teams will dominate once again.

Last edited:

Carucci is a (local to me Buffalo) guy who rarely, ever tosses about unsubstantiated rumours.

It makes total sense for the Pats to want Peppers (Vrabs' open spot is still there for the taking) and for Peppers to want the Pats. If you are Peppers, BB is the one man you want converting you from DE to OLB and the Pats are one team you want to play for in that search for a ring!

The fact that the Pats have surplus draft picks to play with this this April just makes it all the more likely to happen.

Dang, this news is so tantalizing. Good thing that the source sounds fairly reliable or I'd be kicking myself to even think about it. Hehe.

Those guys most likely account for less than 1.4 million combined. Last year the accounted for 1.1 million on the cap.

Dang, this news is so tantalizing. Good thing that the source sounds fairly reliable or I'd be kicking myself to even think about it. Hehe.

I agree. Whether you're a fan of Peppers or not, it's hard not to be excited over such moving and shakin'. The days and weeks between now and the completion of the deal (or the end of the draft) are going to be tough to take if we don't get any tidbits filtering down to keep us satiated.

Am I right in feeling that without the 2010 uncapped year coming up, this year's offseason looks significantly different?

I've jsut heard a rumor that Peppers was working out a contract with the Patriots right now. Is this true? If so, the trade must be done pending peppers signing a contract

I've jsut heard a rumor that Peppers was working out a contract with the Patriots right now. Is this true? If so, the trade must be done pending peppers signing a contract

Where did u hear that? LINK!!!!! LINK!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes