PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap Implications of Keeping Brady AND Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a message board. Threads evolve.
People talk about what they want to talk about.
In this case you started a thread that wished to ignore very important factors about the topic and people chose to discuss those factors. Get over it.

Starting a thread doesn't make you exalted ruler of the thread it makes you the person who started the conversation that then goes in whatever direction the people in the community you chose to start it in wish to take it.

You can obviously post whatever drivel you want to post in whatever thread you want. Lord knows you've been doing it for years.

You can obviously post whatever drivel you want to post in whatever thread you want. Lord knows you've been doing it for years.
Some day you may understand the concept of a message board.

I don't see a way it could be feasible

If Brady drops off he's gone. Sort of like holding on to a car past 100k miles. It still works, but any day now...

But in this hypothetical you describe where they both stay, it would cost an absurd amount of money. Brady is well paid, and JG could probably easily command a deal similar to what Brock got. How much of a discount is he going to give to stay a backup?

Thanks. And yeah, no doubt. I just wanted ONE FRIGGING THREAD where we could actually talk about how it might be possible for the Patriots to keep both TB and JG for a few more years together, and what the financial and roster ramifications would likely be in such a scenario. Given that BB has NOT traded JG (he may still, but he hasn't yet), clearly the idea of him wanting to keep both is at least a POSSIBILITY.

All I wanted was to have a nice conversation about THAT.

But no, some folks just weren't fine with that.

It is not possible to keep JAG and Brady for a few more years together. That would require a long-term contract for JAG, and AAV for the quarterback position of $40M or more.

It is possible for both JAG and Brady to be on the team for the 2018 season, and certainly for the start of the 2018 season (pre-draft).

Hmmmm. Tell me.

What's the point of having distinct threads?

Go on. I'll wait.
To start discussions that evolve in the way posters choose them to.

It is not possible to keep JAG and Brady for a few more years together. That would require a long-term contract for JAG, and AAV for the quarterback position of $40M or more.

It is possible for both JAG and Brady to be on the team for the 2018 season, and certainly for the start of the 2018 season (pre-draft).
#end of discussion on op

#end of discussion on op
Agreed.

Let us look at this backwards. Presume that we sign a long term contract with JAG for $20-25M a year.

If Brady left after 2017, the sunk cost would be $14M. This is irrelevant to any discussions.

OPEN QUESTION
Knowing that JAG was onboard, how much would Brady be worth to the team. Some would think that Butler would be worth $14M a year. How about Brady?

Obviously, any salary (for each year) could be spread over many years, say 4 years after he goes). Would that be terrible?

BOTTOM LINE
If Belichick really wants to make sure that we had one of these QB's for the next 5 years, it is doable.

Folks might say that JAG might not do this. Maybe not. That is a separate issue entirely.

Agreed.

Let us look at this backwards. Presume that we sign a long term contract with JAG for $20-25M a year.

If Brady left after 2017, the sunk cost would be $14M. This is irrelevant to any discussions.

OPEN QUESTION
Knowing that JAG was onboard, how much would Brady be worth to the team. Some would think that Butler would be worth $14M a year. How about Brady?

Obviously, any salary (for each year) could be spread over many years, say 4 years after he goes). Would that be terrible?

BOTTOM LINE
If Belichick really wants to make sure that we had one of these QB's for the next 5 years, it is doable.

Folks might say that JAG might not do this. Maybe not. That is a separate issue entirely.
It's not really a separate issue.
Can you keep both requires that both you and they want it. I see no scenario where that happens.

To start discussions that evolve in the way posters choose them to.

See, I think people start different threads so that we can talk about different, more focused topics, not so that posters can use every thread to voice the same opinion on the same topic over and over and over again.

I guess you and I have different visions of the purpose of Internet discussion groups.

Well this is why we have the other thread about the salary cap implications. They certainly COULD keep them both. It would require some painful surgery on the roster, but they are so deep right now they may be able to keep them both at $40m for a couple of years, hoping to rely on the top guys on their roster before Brady retires and they can restock the depth, paying big $ for only one QB (JG).

See, I think people start different threads so that we can talk about different, more focused topics, not so that posters can use every thread to voice the same opinion on the same topic over and over and over again.

I guess you and I have different visions of the purpose of Internet discussion groups.
We do. You think you can tell people how and where to post and I believe discussions evolve in the direction people want them to without your "op censorship"

We do. You think you can tell people how and where to post and I believe discussions evolve in the direction people want them to without your "op censorship"

Nah, you can post whatever nonsense you want, wherever you want. You've done that for years here.

It's just that I think that separate threads exist so that people can talk about, you know, the topics those threads are about.

It would be silly for you to talk about Sebastian Vollmer's chances of getting in the Pats' HOF if the topic of the thread is the quality of the Pats' CB duo of Butler and Gilmore. I mean, of course you CAN talk about that if you want, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having threads.

But we get it. You think that threads are ultimately pointless, and that every thread is a place for you to keep spewing the same things you've said a hundred times in a dozen different threads. We get it Andy.

Nah, you can post whatever nonsense you want, wherever you want. You've done that for years here.

It's just that I think that separate threads exist so that people can talk about, you know, the topics those threads are about.

It would be silly for you to talk about Sebastian Vollmer's chances of getting in the Pats' HOF if the topic of the thread is the quality of the Pats' CB duo of Butler and Gilmore. I mean, of course you CAN talk about that if you want, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having threads.

But we get it. You think that threads are ultimately pointless, and that every thread is a place for you to keep spewing the same things you've said a hundred times in a dozen different threads. We get it Andy.
So you make up this lie which you clearly know is wrong.

You started a thread that lacked important information and were threatened by that information being added. Unfortunately for you many posters agreed it was important.

Now you are butt hurt.

Could they keep both yeah.. is it likely no.. And there is certainly almost a 0% chance that they would keep both for 2018 also.

I just can't see the Pats franchising JG to force him to stay for a year and pay him 23 mil or w/e.

Its basically 1 or the other in 2018. Could they keep both for 2018 its possible but it would be shocking. Also the implications that would cause with Brady, Fans, Media.. If you franchised JG and kept him on the roster and Brady is starting your basically telling everyone this is Brady's last season.

This could end up a messy divorce.

So you make up this lie which you clearly know is wrong.

You started a thread that lacked important information and were threatened by that information being added. Unfortunately for you many posters agreed it was important.

Now you are butt hurt.

You're completely full of crap.

I acknowledged in the first paragraph of the OP - which I subsequently quoted for you a second time for reference - that there was debate going on about JG's future status. And I said if we accept the premise that BB wants to keep both JG and TB, what would that look like financially and roster-wise.

All you added was to repeat your opinion, given many times in many different threads already, which everyone in patsfans already knows, that JG isn't staying.

Well the point of the thread is to PRESUME he IS staying, for the sake of the argument.

In other words.... You added absolutely nothing other than your usual drivel, which we all already knew about. No new information. Just the same opinion that you've shared dozens of times already in numerous other threads.

It's not really a separate issue.
Can you keep both requires that both you and they want it. I see no scenario where that happens.

We are splitting hairs.

OK, both of these are part of the same issue.
1) The team can afford JAG long-term, and Brady as long as he is able.
2) JAG may or may not be willing to sign a LT contract with the patriots, even at starting QB pay.

If you franchised JG and kept him on the roster and Brady is starting your basically telling everyone this is Brady's last season.

This could end up a messy divorce.

1) This is untrue. If JAG is franchised, it is quite possible that he might decide NOT to sign a long-term contract.

2) What also is possible is a long-term agreement with JAG, which Brady playing as long as he is able.

1) This is untrue. If JAG is franchised, it is quite possible that he might decide NOT to sign a long-term contract.

2) What also is possible is a long-term agreement with JAG, which Brady playing as long as he is able.

Well if the Pats franchised JG and spent 24 million and kept him the whole season without trading him... I highly doubt the Pats are not only passing up on draft picks this season but investing 25 million dollars to keep him for 1 year AND then letting him walk away? Nope.

There is no way JG is signing a long term deal with the Patriots unless he is the starting QB.

There is a chance they could franchise and trade JG. Thats the only other thing that would make sense.

JG, I'm sure, really wants to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

But what if he really wants to be the starting QB of the Patriots MORE than he wants to be the starting QB anywhere else?

What if he is willing to take starter's money to sit a few more years and then, without suffering wear and tear on his body, be basically guaranteed the starting job in New England?

McDaniels has turned down, over the past couple of years, interviews to be the head coach of other franchises (and the pay raise that comes with it) in order to stay the OC with the Pats. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe he really IS the designated successor to BB. Maybe he just prefers his current role. I don't know. But it's possible in reality for a person to decline to take a promotion because his ideal job can be had if he's patient just a few more years.

For anyone saying there's no way in hell that JG would voluntarily stay here as TB12's backup for a few years....

Why is this not a possibility? Does anyone here have inside info into JG's thinking? Has anyone here talked to JG about this or seen him give an interview about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back