PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can't the NFLN do better than Sapp and Dukes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like all their analysts who didn't play + the coaches.

Eisen, Casserly, Lombardi, Charles, etc are all between OK to great. Eisen is surely the savior of the network in my opinion. Billick and Mora are pretty good too. Can't stand Faulk, Sapp, Dukes, or Irvin though. I like Sanders, he never adds a whole lot but he is entertaining.

Agreed, although I don't mind Dukes' clothing choices. I always liked the Zoot Suit look. :cool:

Casserly reminds me of the little nerd in elementary school who always couldn't wait to tattle on everyone. Breer always has a look on his face as if someone just broke wind under his nose.

I think I'd give your first note to LaCanfora more than Casserly. Especially sitting in his little room with the whiteboard behind him.

Yeah, what is it about the group over there that they have to madly yell and scream, and act..........bizarre, for lack of a better word. I don't always dislike Irvin, but today, he was annoying, and screaming, and freaking out OVER NOTHING! It was weird. I wish they did have somebody like Willie Mac and other level headed, well spoken gents take their place. It's really getting out of hand, and makes it hard to watch, expect that I need my NFL fix.

As for Marshall Faulk and his comments like "should have went" etc. His poor grammar drives me up the wall.

Last edited:
I personally can't stand all the laughing Sapp does, I much rather actual analysis than the forced laughter and stupid little sarcastic remarks he always has, ESPN does the same thing.

"So that Adrian Peterson guy, I heard he's pretty good. HAHAHAHAHA!"

I know one is in NYC and the other in LA but I'd love to see NFL network use some of NFL radio's talent like Tim Ryan, Pat Kirwan, and Ross Tucker. You get quite a football education from those three, among others.

Sirius owns NFL Radio and they license the NFL name from the league. The NFL Network is an NFL run property. Two different entities. Sirius looks for guys who are knowledgeable and can talk NFL for four hours straight. The NFL Network looks for guys who will say "controversial" things and can't go below superficial analysis.

For Total Access, I don't know if many of the NFL radio guys could do great analysis they give per segment. They are better suited for the radio where they can give 5-10 minutes if they need to on a topic, not a minute.

Alright, guess I'll point out the elephant in the room here.

Pretty sure this is a result of the NFL Network wanting to fill their minority personality quota instead of picking the best analysts available.

No, I am not racist. There are obviously tons of horrible white analysts (Theisman, Hodge, Schlereth, etc.). Warren Sapp offers NOTHING.

I personally can't stand all the laughing Sapp does, I much rather actual analysis than the forced laughter and stupid little sarcastic remarks he always has, ESPN does the same thing.

"So that Adrian Peterson guy, I heard he's pretty good. HAHAHAHAHA!"
That's the problem, it's never analysis it's their personal opinions. I don't want their opinions first I want them secondary to analysis of football discussion.

I'm clearly in the minority, but I like Dukes. I think he does his home work, he's informative and is entertaining. That said, Sapp should be replaced.

I've been watching a good deal of NFLN this past weekand I need to ask this question. Is there is a more annoying pair than these two?

I have to say I despise Jamie Dukes, I hate everything about him starting with his whiny, nasally, high pitched, over enunciating voice, his idiotic **** eating grin, his moronic zoot suits, a three hundered pound slob wearing a suit jacket that goes to his knees, very professional. Speaking of professional he always tries to get a jab in when going to break, much like a thirteen year old girl would do. All this could be forgiven if he ever had a coherent point about anything. Babbling nonsense is the only way to describe his speaking style, problem is when ever someone challenges his buffoonary, his immediate response is to get more whiny, more nasally, more idiotic only at a much louder volume.

Warren Saap is just an unstable, unintelligent lunatic who sounds like he has a third grade education. He seems to have no control of the volume of his voice, his bodily movements or his crazy eyes. I'm just waiting for the day he finally snaps on camera.

Special treat today, joining these two winners is the Michael "The Crackhead" Irvin. I'm pretty sure I saw him hitting the crackpipe when the camera panned away from him. Pretty much everything I said about Sapp applies to Irvin except for the fact that Irvin never speaks in any other tone than homicidal maniac on crack.

And Marshall Faulk is just extraordinarily stupid.

Charlie Casserly looks like Frankenstein and it frightens me when I see his face.

Albert Breer looks like he is in pain whenever he is forced to speak on camera.

If I see that borderline racist, Pepsi tanned Polar Bear commercial one more I will be forced to smash my TV.

Willie Mac was on a few weeks ago and I thought he was very good, I would like to see more of him on the network. Maybe he hasn't been back because you could understand what he was saying, wasn't screaming and actually spoke intelligently about football. Maybe the job doesn't pay enough, that's the only reason I can think of why Dukes is on every show.

Great rant, AQ. I actually don't mind Dukes that much, I think he's kind of funny and not entirely stupid. I can't stand Michael "The Screaming Clown" Irvin. Sapp is an obnoxious jerk (remember what he did to our own Russ Hochstein years ago). Breer does look really uncomfortable on camera, maybe he has a bowel problem. Faulk is the worst of all, and I'm glad he's taken several weeks off to polish his Hall of Fame induction speech.

The main point, and you are absolutely right, is that there definitely are better (more knowledgeable and classier) analysts out there. Why NFLN doesn't use them is a mystery.

And I'm with you on that damn racist Pepsi commercial. Whoever came up with that idea should be hung.

Pretty sure this is a result of the NFL Network wanting to fill their minority personality quota instead of picking the best analysts available.

No, I am not racist. There are obviously tons of horrible white analysts (Theisman, Hodge, Schlereth, etc.). Warren Sapp offers NOTHING.

There might be other factors driving this -- that NFLN likely draws a large black viewership demographic, and the fact that these guys are former players who naturally are over-animated and clownish (the "entertainment" factor). Also, keep in mind that the NFL owns NFLN. Since around 80 percent of the league's players are black, they probably reason that needs to be reflected on-air.

Last edited:
Eisen
Woodson
Mayock
Lombardi
Mariuchi
Charles Davis
and on occasion Sanders can add some good stuff, like calling Manning's SB performance a "choke".

I think there are plenty of blacks that can make fine analysts, I don't know why they stock the show with so many buffoons like Sapp and Irvin, and pompous jerks like Dukes and Faulk

Last edited:
yeah...I watch NFLN every day...some days I wanna bury a pick axe in Eisen's forehead...but...you know, he's pretty damn good setting the table...Dukes has established an identity..sometimes i wanna wring his neck, but he has an opinion and sticks with it..and he's not prone to over the top histrionics...leave that to Sapp and to a lesser extent but more often, Irvin. I've always hated Sapp. He's generated it since day one on the scene by being the big bully and he plays his schtick to perfection. To be honest, I think Sapp has a brighter future in multimedia..TV/Movies...say what you want but the eyes follow him no matter the venue...he fills the screen...look at Dancing With The Stars...I wouldn't watch that crap if you tied me down and stapled my eyes open...BUT I did watch him on it out of curiosity...I would have sworn he'd bomb..be a complete ham bust...he was electric. I have to figure he has a really good Q rating and THAT is why he's on NFLN. The thing about Sapp is, he'll say something outrageous,something that pisses me off to no end,but when he finishes his screed, he looks directly in that camera and it's love...the camera loves him...he gives it that little smile and those dancing eyes and you get the feeling that yeah, he KNOWS he just got your goat and yeah, guess what, THAT is part of his job.

Yeah, I rag on the NFLN all the time...it's old hat...but I will say...I made SURE I had it tuned in all day the past week....it's still the best thing on the air.

Last edited:
Eisen
Woodson
Mayock
Lombardi
Mariuchi
Charles Davis
and on occasion Sanders can add some good stuff, like calling Manning's SB performance a "choke".

I think there are plenty of blacks that can make fine analysts, I don't know why they stock the show with so many buffoons like Sapp and Irvin, and pompous jerks like Dukes and Faulk

Woodson is gone unfortunately, he took a coaching job with the 49ers or Raiders. I can't quite remember...

Yeah, the NFLN has gone downhill, I really noticed a difference last season. Gameday Morning is nothing but non-stop Pat hating...

Last edited:

I'm not sure this is the case since over half of their "analysts" are minorities. It has more to do with them creating conflict (causing ppl to start threads about it) rather then a minority thing.

The game day wrap ups with Eisen, Deion, and Mariuchi were second to none.....Sapp is worthless and Dukes isn't much better.

i like Sapp and Dukes is ok i cant stand Charles Davis cause he just does not know what he's talking about he sucks

I'm clearly in the minority, but I like Dukes. I think he does his home work, he's informative and is entertaining. That said, Sapp should be replaced.

I also like Dukes, especially for non=patriot analysis. as for the rest of the players, somehow the last two days they have seemed less idiotic, or at least less anti-patriot than I remember NFLN in the past. I find it odd that they repeat the same commentary throughout the day though. Hearing the same lin es from Warren?marshall more than once 6 hours later when I am avoiding co mercials on another channel seems very CNNish to me.

Talking of commercials, when NFLN started it was great as it had minimal commercals. Now it just has a few bad commercials (like cokes) repeated multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back