PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we talk WR for a bit?

...........and right on queue his measureables just became available.

WR Marquess Wilson weighed in at 6'3" 194 31 1/8 arms. Gained a little weight but the arms look short for a 6'3 guy no?

Not ideal. Unfortunately we're not getting wingspan measurements.

Have to say though, with the depth in this WR class, why go with the guy with suspect personality unless the value is Dennard good?

Not ideal. Unfortunately we're not getting wingspan measurements.

Have to say though, with the depth in this WR class, why go with the guy with suspect personality unless the value is Dennard good?

Agreed. I'm talking about using one of the 7ths on him.

For those wanting a big WR, is this big enough for you:

https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/305031247791521792

For a guy that big, he has relatively small hands. Given the relatively fresh images of WRs dropping critical passes in 2006 and 2011 (plus a key clunker by Welker this year and even the Asante whiff in 2007), I'm paying attention to the hand size of this WR class. Put a couple of huge mitts with a good sized catch radius, reasonable brain cells and ability to separate...and you've got a winner. How about:

Deandre Hopkins: 6'1", 214, 33.38 arms and 10.08 hands. If he blazes a top 40 time, the Pats may not get a chance.

My mid-late round option?

Aaron Mellette: 6'2", 217, 33.18, 9.58. From just down the road from me at Elon. Dismissed him earlier since I saw him live at UNC and he was terrible...even adjusting for his team being outmatched. But giving him a second chance and finding out that game was definitely an outlier.

Besides, seeing Mallett to Mellette in the preseason is just too good to pass up.

I know it's a little bit offtopic and we still have to wait 2 years until he will enter the draft, but this kid has patriots written all over him: mouth shut, great work ethic, catching everything and saban coached!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3qQe99Rbg :)

I know it's a little bit offtopic and we still have to wait 2 years until he will enter the draft, but this kid has patriots written all over him: mouth shut, great work ethic, catching everything and saban coached!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3qQe99Rbg :)

Unfortunately, he has top 10-15 pick written all over him, which means, unless they Pats collapse or make an unprecedented trade up, they won't sniff him.

Unfortunately, he has top 10-15 pick written all over him, which means, unless they Pats collapse or make an unprecedented trade up, they won't sniff him.

Everyone would have said the same thing about Robert Woods last year. It's impossible to predict right now, things change so much in the draft process.

This would disappoint me no end:

@RapSheet on NFL Net says don't be surprised if Welker signs long term deal with Patriots AND go after another WR in free agency

https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/306194153224667136

If they don't draft a WR high this year, there never drafting a WR again. It's a perfect match of need and availability this year. Really hope BB isn't getting gun-shy just because he's missed in the past.

Been taking a look at receivers recently and these guys all stood out to me. Just a coincidence most of these guys are Texas school related. All of them flashed good short/intermediate/deep ability with obvious "speed" on the field as opposed to just shorts speed.

- Marquise Goodwin (Texas): 5'9 183. Undersized but has SPEED. Tore it up with a 4.27 and has potential to be a Mike Wallace player.
- Stedman Bailey (West Virginia): 5'10 193. Put up a solid 4.52 and a very good 4.09 shuttle and 6.81 cone. Kind of got overlooked by Austin but a good player in his own right.
- Tavarres King (Georgia): 6'2 189. Put up a 4.47 40 and 6.91 cone. Could be had in R2 or maybe R3.
- Ryan Swope (Texas A&M): 6'2 205. Reportedly had a Patriot scout watching him like a hawk at his Pro Day. Killed it with a 4.34 40 and 6.76 cone at the NFL Combine.
- Josh Boyce (TCU): 5'11" 206. Tore it up at the Combine with a 4.38 40 and 6.68 Cone. Could be had in the later rounds.

Whats everyone's thought on my binky and in think will be the best WR to come out of this class Da'rick Rogers? Size speed everything you would want. Sure his attitude sucks but that could be handled right in the right organization.

Aaron Dobson, MU

6'3", 210, 4.4 40 at pro day (reported)

And this...

Aaron Dobson "The Catch" - YouTube

Take him at the end of the 2d, after grabbing a CB in round 1.

I don't watch a lot of college football. I'm an MU fan and didn't like the Lee Smith pick, but Dobson is legit.

Been taking a look at receivers recently and these guys all stood out to me. Just a coincidence most of these guys are Texas school related. All of them flashed good short/intermediate/deep ability with obvious "speed" on the field as opposed to just shorts speed.

- Marquise Goodwin (Texas): 5'9 183. Undersized but has SPEED. Tore it up with a 4.27 and has potential to be a Mike Wallace player.
- Stedman Bailey (West Virginia): 5'10 193. Put up a solid 4.52 and a very good 4.09 shuttle and 6.81 cone. Kind of got overlooked by Austin but a good player in his own right.
- Tavarres King (Georgia): 6'2 189. Put up a 4.47 40 and 6.91 cone. Could be had in R2 or maybe R3.
- Ryan Swope (Texas A&M): 6'2 205. Reportedly had a Patriot scout watching him like a hawk at his Pro Day. Killed it with a 4.34 40 and 6.76 cone at the NFL Combine.
- Josh Boyce (TCU): 5'11" 206. Tore it up at the Combine with a 4.38 40 and 6.68 Cone. Could be had in the later rounds.

Stedman Bailey is strictly a slot/short routes guy. He averaged the lowest ypc and ypa of any of the 'top' receivers in this draft class. Basically we don't need him unless Amendola goes down. Swope could be interesting depending on what round he is available. I think the Pats prefer to swing a trade for Emanuel Sanders who is proven if they go WR in the 3rd.

Goodwin, if available LATE, ok. But the Pats lack draft picks this year to spend on the mid round type prospects. We have enough smurfs as is.

Deandre Hopkins: 6'1", 214, 33.38 arms and 10.08 hands. If he blazes a top 40 time, the Pats may not get a chance.

Hopkins is my top guy out of the 'within our drafting range' WRs. Not sure we will even take him, but love the combo of size, speed, routes, and catching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWm9pNiXYY

Stedman Bailey is strictly a slot/short routes guy. He averaged the lowest ypc and ypa of any of the 'top' receivers in this draft class. Basically we don't need him unless Amendola goes down.

Swope could be interesting depending on what round he is available. I think the Pats prefer to swing a trade for Emanuel Sanders who is proven if they go WR in the 3rd.

Goodwin, if available LATE, ok. But the Pats lack draft picks this year to spend on the mid round type prospects. We have enough smurfs as is.

I'm partly basing this on the thought that New England will trade down a few times and acquire picks in the mid to later rounds as well. I also still expect them to take a WR although if they land Sanders, that may change where they take said WR.

- Stedman Bailey is expected to go around Round 3 to Round 4 so he's not really a "top" receiver. He has proven big play ability in that offense. He averaged 14.2 YPR in 2012 and 17.8 in 2011 so I'm not quite sure where the knock is coming from (but feel free to clarify for me).
- Marquise Goodwin I'm really high on, even if he's only 5'9. He's expected to be gone by Round 4 at the latest but possesses extremely rare deep speed (which NE fans have been clamoring for since at least 2005 it seems). If fans really want a legitimate deep threat at WR, nobody is best suited for that role than Goodwin in this year's draft regardless of size.

New England doesn't have any "smurfs" on the roster at WR if you were paying attention. If they bring in Emmanuel Sanders, he also is 5'11 and Julian Edelman is 5'10 if he's brought back.

Donald Jones = 6'0. Matt Slater = 6'0. Danny Amendola = 5'11. Jeremy Ebert = 5'11.

How about Ace Sanders of South Carolina as a late round selection who can add extra value reurning kicks while learning the offense.

Sanders and Burkhead in the 7th, and I am happy!

I think this might be the year we double up on wr's. How bout a trade down from 29 to late 30's in order to pick up an extra 3.

2A Markus Wheaton - WR Oregon St
2B Quinton Patton - WR La Tech
3A Robert Alford - CB SE Louisiana
3B DJ Swearinger - S South Carolina

I do regret not drafting a def. lineman. But, I think we will sign Abraham. We did sign Armstead whom many thought would be at least a 3rd rounder at dt. We had 3 rookie de's last year; C. Jones, Francis and Bequette. So, we do have some youth on the line. I think we might see Ninko at SAM a little this year improving lb play and Fletcher is back.

getting patton and wheaton would be a dream come true at WR plus getting alford instead of swearinger id probably rather take a DT like sylvester williams even though its unlikely some mocks have him in the 3rd some have him in the 1st so im not really sure but id love to get patton wheaton and alford

Just throw this out there, I am sure some purists will start to bring up "Not a Patriot type player". That definition has long been blown out the water.

Da'Rick Rogers, WR, 6'3, 217

This offense could use some toughness, the kid is a beast and a numb skull.. but might be worth a look in round 2.

Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
"Despite playing in the ultra-physical SEC, Rogers proved too strong for most teams to consider pressing."

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back