PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we now address the OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reason believe that the patriots won't address the OL. The team has two free agents out there and will presumably will sign two free agents.

In addition, we are likely to draft at least one offensive lineman.

There is no reason rush, unless the choice is one of the top centers.

Yes, I would've (and other fans) love to get a top veteran Center that will protect Brady and be an anchor in the front. Unless they pry loose Mack from Cleveland, I would not hate to see Patriots re-sign Wendell as a Center.

Not many good veterans out there...

OL will definitely be addressed, but not with the big dollar name's people are clamoring for.

I imagine the plan is to move Connolly back to C, and insert Cannon at RG. I would be fine with a starting line of Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Cannon-Vollmer, but the depth would be a disaster. Free agency will provide some back up depth. Here's some names that could come here for low money:

Tackles: Eben Britton, Dennis Roland, Tyson Clabo, Will Svitek
Guards: Travelle Wharton, Garrett Reynolds, Uche Nwaneri, Willie Colon, Geoff Hangartner, Wade Smith
Centers: Jonathan Goodwin, Steve Vallos, Dylan Gandy, Ryan Cook, Chris Spencer

I like Clabo as a potential RT fill-in when Vollmer has his inevitable mid-season injury. Smith and Goodwin would bring some good vet leadership. Cook has some positional versatility.

Then add 2 OL via draft, one on day 2 and one on day 3.

OL will definitely be addressed, but not with the big dollar name's people are clamoring for.

I imagine the plan is to move Connolly back to C, and insert Cannon at RG. I would be fine with a starting line of Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Cannon-Vollmer, but the depth would be a disaster. Free agency will provide some back up depth. Here's some names that could come here for low money:

Guards: Travelle Wharton, Garrett Reynolds, Uche Nwaneri, Willie Colon, Geoff Hangartner, Wade Smith

I like Clabo as a potential RT fill-in when Vollmer has his inevitable mid-season injury. Smith and Goodwin would bring some good vet leadership. Cook has some positional versatility.

I'll take Wade Smith on a short term deal. He's an experienced, versatile guy that can play C or OG and was a Pro Bowler in 2012. Could be a solid veteran addition.

Only solid veteran Center left is, Brian De La Puente. He is durable center for Saints since 2011. The 6-foot-3, 306-pound de la Puente, 28, has started 44 games for the Saints since 2011. 29ys old.

Remember we had lots of injuries on our OL, last year. We would have a good center with DanC as backup-center, who plays as guard.

Solder-Mankins-LaPuente-Connolly-Vollmer

Cannon is a good backup, but, frankly is not a starter. IMO

Only solid veteran Center left is, Brian De La Puente. He is durable center for Saints since 2011. The 6-foot-3, 306-pound de la Puente, 28, has started 44 games for the Saints since 2011. 29ys old.

Remember we had lots of injuries on our OL, last year. We would have a good center with DanC as backup-center, who plays as guard.

Solder-Mankins-LaPuente-Connolly-Vollmer

Cannon is a good backup, but, frankly is not a starter. IMO

I was about to say the same. Jonathan Goodwin is out there, too, on a cheap short-term deal, potentially.

Xavier Su'a'Filo, Joel Bitonio, Martin/Richburg/Swanson, Richardson...there's a lot of interior OL talent to be had in the draft. From what I can gather, interior OL is one of the quickest places to plug in a rookie and get him up to speed. So the Pats are filling out the hit-or-miss/learning curve positions in FA (2 DB, 2 WR) and will probably draft at least on DL and maybe 2 OL fairly high.

It now becomes clear what the Pats draft strategy is going to be: Offensive (mostly) and defensive line. Unless a "fall to" opportunity comes their way I expect BB will be spending his draft capital on the pit players.

It now becomes clear what the Pats draft strategy is going to be: Offensive (mostly) and defensive line. Unless a "fall to" opportunity comes their way I expect BB will be spending his draft capital on the pit players.

Based on signings and last years draft I would say any position could be drafted except CB and WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes