PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we just admit we're not a good running team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdown93

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Team YPC: 3.7

vs Chiefs:
Maroney: 10 for 51 5.1 ypc
Morris: 10 for 53 5.3 ypc
Jordan: 2 for 6 3 ypc

at Jets:
Maroney: 8 for 16 2.0 ypc
Morris: 8 for 0 0 ypc
Jordan: 11 for 62 5.6 ypc

vs Miami:
Maroney: N/A
Morris: 9 for 27 3.0 ypc
Jordan: 6 for 22 3.7 ypc

at Niners:
Maroney: 10 for 26 2.6 ypc
Morris: 16 for 63 3.9 ypc
Jordan: 5 for 16 3.2 ypc

Last year Maroney and Morris both finished with 4.5 ypc.

Right now Maroney is the scapegoat, but the fact is we cannot run the ball well, or at least consistently. One guy always runs decent or well enough, and the other two do nothing. We need to run better as a team, and more consistently as well.

Totally disagree. Look beyond the numbers and you will see a balance of passing and rushes that are all intended to keep the defense guessing. I think this team is a better rushing team than it was last year without Sammy Morris and Lamont Jordan.

I think one of the problems is that they don't seem to be calling plays specific to the back that is currently on the field. Everybody gets the same dive up the middle style call. Obviously you need to mix it up so that defenses don't just expect a certain thing when a certain back comes in, but given that Maroney is a very different runner than Jordan it's a waste to give them the same plays to run.

I do think that we're doing a fair job with running, though. Even if the backs aren't consistent, this team has always been about efficiency on the ground and that's exactly what we got against the 49ers. Faulk's stats are key for the ground game as well, even if he's catching more than he's running.

Last edited:
I understand why people are always saying Maroney should be used only on screens, and such, but we have to remember that they can't be obvious about what they're calling. If all they call is screens when Maroney is in, it'll be easy for the opposing defense. Maroney is just going to have to get better at running up the middle. Plus, they need to become more consistant with their run blocking.

oh, to answer the original question, I think yes, we can be a good running team. At the moment? not as good as we could be.

Right now we are about #16 in the league statistically, at about 113 yards a game.. but more important than the numbers is how effective the run game ios, to control the ball for about 40 minutes last Sunday is very effective...

Numerical translations as to how a player is doing, is not a real good barometer of team offense or team defense.. the final score is the important number.

You can't compare this year to last year. Last year teams were putting six and even five in the box because they were afraid of Brady, Moss, and Welker. This year, they are stacking the box daring Cassel to throw the ball. Two different situations.

The Patriots are ranked 17th with 113 YPG after only 4 games. All rushers accumulated 78 yards in the down game against Miami, which negatively affects the stats. Add in the fact that with a rookie QB under center teams will emphasize run defense first, letting Cassel try to beat them until he proves he can, further reducing potential numbers.

It has been 4 games, and the running stats are average, despite the circumstances. Last year, the team had a 115.6 YPG average. In 2004, when Dillon ran wild, the team had a whopping 133.4 YPG/4.1 YPC average in comparison.

Again, base an analysis on 4 games worth of numbers with some peculiarities involved (say a season-ending injury to a marquee offensive player like Tom Brady) and the stats may suffer a bit. The Patriots are 2 yards off the average last year under the circumstances, and 20 YPG off a recent high. What exactly do you call a good running team? A consensus of the so called experts in the media indicates the Patriots were a good running team in 2004.

Add in the facts some other teams have enjoyed some stellar running games against bad teams in this short season and their number are extremely inflated. This is a good running team.

Last edited:
The Patriots are ranked 17th with 113 YPG after only 4 games. All rushers accumulated 78 yards in the down game against Miami, which negatively affects the stats. Add in the fact that with a rookie QB under center teams will emphasize run defense first, letting Cassel try to beat them until he proves he can, further reducing potential numbers.

I'm pretty sure that the 49ers game took care of this one. Cassel has a cannon and his accuracy is very good. This should open up the run game from here on, I imagine. I just hope we see some solid play-action against the chargers to build on the expanded offense we flew out west.

I'm pretty sure that the 49ers game took care of this one. Cassel has a cannon and his accuracy is very good. This should open up the run game from here on, I imagine. I just hope we see some solid play-action against the chargers to build on the expanded offense we flew out west.

I suspect he will have to string together a few decent games like that before defenses start adjusting. One game can be an anomaly. If he can hit passes like he did on Sunday against the Chargers defense, the running backs might see some space in the future.

And, by the way, I told you that you were an optimist. Others might look at the 2 interceptions but you see only the accuracy on the bomb to Randy Moss (and yes, there were many other good passes that game). The world need glass half full characters like yourself, so embrace that label over your alternative claim of realist.

Last edited:
I suspect he will have to string together a few decent games like that before defenses start adjusting. One game can be an anomaly. If he can hit passes like he did on Sunday against the Chargers defense, the running backs might see some space in the future.

And, by the way, I told you that you were an optimist. Others might look at the 2 interceptions but you see only the accuracy on the bomb to Randy Moss (and yes, there were many other good passes that game). The world need glass half full characters like yourself, so embrace that label over your alternative claim of realist.

Oh, I saw the INT's, but one was a good throw foiled by the D (or our O-Line) and the other still stretched the field.

Still, I'll take your label. I can live with it, ;)

I think it's fair to say we don't have a great running game, but I would say we're somewhere between average and good. I'm leaning towards good, only because we seem to have that intangible running sense (Maroney aside). When we need 1 yard, we get 2. When we need 2 yards, we get 3, etc.

One thing we are NOT, is a team that's going to break a lot of big plays with the running game. That's why there was a huge drop-off in points through the first three games when Brady went down. A young QB trying to feel his way into the game, combined with a running game that was really built to get small chunks consistently, not hit home runs. End result, low scores.

San Fran game was encouraging in one of those respects at least.

Personally, I think as long as the RB's can get the yards needed for a first down, or to help kill the clock in the fourth quarter, there doing a good job. I think RB's often get judged by how many long runs they pull off, or lack thereof. Just my two cents!

Remember....we are talking about the 49ers here.....

Remember....we are talking about the 49ers here.....

No we're talking talking about Cassel tossing a bomb that equaled Randy's longest career TD reception. Almost twice.

I agree. But, what you have defined is the classic passing team. We have needed the short yardage back. Now we have two: Morris and Jordan. If you dig out the posts from the end of laster year or dutring the preseason, you would find that many here thought that Maroney was the guy you want to give the ball to on 3rd and 1 or 4th and one.

Sure, we would like an equal number of passes and runs. However, that's because we want lots of runs when we are killing the clock.

Personally, I think as long as the RB's can get the yards needed for a first down, or to help kill the clock in the fourth quarter, there doing a good job. I think RB's often get judged by how many long runs they pull off, or lack thereof. Just my two cents!

No we're talking talking about Cassel tossing a bomb that equaled Randy's longest career TD reception. Almost twice.

Your right! A guy throws a nice long pass and all the sudden he is the second coming of Tom Brady. Pretty sure I have seen Joey Harrington throw a few long bombs before.

Calm down, Cassel is still average at best.

we had all this same talk last year and the pats ran the ball fine when they had to....this is all silly posting to me

Your right! A guy throws a nice long pass and all the sudden he is the second coming of Tom Brady. Pretty sure I have seen Joey Harrington throw a few long bombs before.

Calm down, Cassel is still average at best.

*sigh* I give up. Thou art the wisest of all internet guys. Enjoy the throne.

*sigh* I give up. Thou art the wisest of all internet guys. Enjoy the throne.

Give him a wide berth, JSn. He was an NFL scout not long ago and taught Parcells all he knows about football. If memory serves, he is credited with inventing the question mark. Most importantly, he has attended Patriots games since 1936, a full 24 years before the team was founded. Give him his proper due.

Last edited:
I'd agree they are not a good running team. they are functional and are above average depending who they play. if they were so good at running they would have ran in the SB. what has changed since last season? Neal? if they couldn't run with brady at qb in the sb they surely aren't going to be a great run team this season.

they need to upgrade the O-line next season. look at the dallas O-line and they're average weight. we need a bigger o-line. i realiz this goes against what the pats have done with bringing in athletic o-line.

but i think the o-line has been good especially with brady at qb. he makes them look good. don't get me wrong they are good but they are much better pass protectors than run blockers

I look at the YPC average, not the total rush yards a game.

we need about 4 more games to assess what they really are

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore