PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can TE Watson cut it as a blocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone who could take the best attributes from two first round picks and a 3rd rounder who all play the same position and mold them into one would have a great player.

Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington and Charlie Whitehurst.

No he is lacking as a blocker. That's why they they signed Kyle Brady.

If sure someone else has posted this.

Go Pats!

I say Watson has a big year this year and plays great.

Then again, I've said that the past 3 years.

This is Watson's breakout year!

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

Hey Box

In regards to Mills, he has utterly disappointed me thus far this season.

I see nothing there. His routes aren't crisp and since he wasn't the fastest to begin with, he can't get much seperation. His blocking is nearly non existant.
And he looks very stiff, like he's thinking instead of playing.

Maybe he's not fully recovered from his injury. I can't say for sure, but at this point I would be surprised if he made the squad. He needs a big final two weeks of preseason to really show the coaches something.

Re: Hey Box

The good news is it's likely Mills will clear waivers and make the PS, assuming he's good enuf for that

Watson broke the mold of the pats "draft football players, not athletes". He puts up great combine numbers but he's not a natural receiver or a very good blocker. Nice guy though.

You were correct last year, let's not forget 2006 effectively was his sophomore season. Further, let's think about how a TE - you know, one of those 'alternate' targets to the elite WRs - deals with suddenly being the primary receiver, in the NFL at that (let alone while on a team other clubs automatically bring their 'a' game to play in a bid to beat the best); most of these guys get by on sheer athletic ability and never develop the techniques and skill sets needed to excell.

By any rational standard 49 receptions and a 13+ yd/catch average for a TE is pretty darned good. That he struggles blocking is an area for improvement, so is ball retention, beating double-teams, and a host of other skills he needs to develop to be a well-rounded TE in this offense. If WR is a position that starts to meet expectations by year three, then TE deserves that much (and let's face it, TE is a more complex position to master than WR).

Granted Ben's blocking needs work, but on one outside zone run with Kevin Faulk Ben did hold his block for most of 3 seconds - if the Running Backs in this year's draft class are capable of running a 40 yd sprint in 4-4.5 seconds, it would be nice if a running play off the edge got more then a yd or two upfield in a three second interval. Ben needs to get better, the O-line needs to get better, the QB and RB need to get better, it's not just on one player (most of the time). For now, In BB I Trust, and TE's coach Pete Mangurian too.

Keep the faith!

Thanks Ochmed - I haven't been able to put as much time into the Tivo as I'd like and had yet to get a feel for Mills...which sadly matches what you're telling me.

PWP - Phil's Positive Thinking Seminars sponsored by the Mermaid Molestation Helpline and Sushi House, "we understand your tastes."

A TE that struggles in the areas of blocking and ball retention is a TE with a serious problem.

You were correct last year, let's not forget 2006 effectively was his sophomore season. Further, let's think about how a TE - you know, one of those 'alternate' targets to the elite WRs - deals with suddenly being the primary receiver, in the NFL at that (let alone while on a team other clubs automatically bring their 'a' game to play in a bid to beat the best); most of these guys get by on sheer athletic ability and never develop the techniques and skill sets needed to excell.

By any rational standard 49 receptions and a 13+ yd/catch average for a TE is pretty darned good. That he struggles blocking is an area for improvement, so is ball retention, beating double-teams, and a host of other skills he needs to develop to be a well-rounded TE in this offense. If WR is a position that starts to meet expectations by year three, then TE deserves that much (and let's face it, TE is a more complex position to master than WR).

Granted Ben's blocking needs work, but on one outside zone run with Kevin Faulk Ben did hold his block for most of 3 seconds - if the Running Backs in this year's draft class are capable of running a 40 yd sprint in 4-4.5 seconds, it would be nice if a running play off the edge got more then a yd or two upfield in a three second interval. Ben needs to get better, the O-line needs to get better, the QB and RB need to get better, it's not just on one player (most of the time). For now, In BB I Trust, and TE's coach Pete Mangurian too.

Keep the faith!

Thanks Ochmed - I haven't been able to put as much time into the Tivo as I'd like and had yet to get a feel for Mills...which sadly matches what you're telling me.

PWP - Phil's Positive Thinking Seminars sponsored by the Mermaid Molestation Helpline and Sushi House, "we understand your tastes."

By any rational standard 49 receptions and a 13+ yd/catch average for a TE is pretty darned good...
I guess you're right, but when I said "big year", I was thinking more along the lines of breakout Pro Bowl dominate the league kinda year. I still have faith in the guy.

I guess you're right, but when I said "big year", I was thinking more along the lines of breakout Pro Bowl dominate the league kinda year. I still have faith in the guy.
Who expected Ty Warren to make the leap he made last season? Ben is three years into at least a 10 year career, make that two with the time off on IR in year one, let's not get carried away with our expectations. Patience grasshopper.

mgtiech - Yep, ball retention is an issue, still this is an interesting situation; you have a guy who has been productive through high school and college, but was never "The" primary receiver. This spring he was working with Moss and Stallworth trying to learn positioning tools to help him deal with double-teams, etc. That certainly played a part in ball retention. Kevin Faulk is infamous in that regard, and an instant heart stress test for some fans whenever he touches the ball, yet he's also one of the crucial playmakers in crunch time. All "we" can do is hope the coaches and Ben can work through it. Blocking is more of an issue, I was a bit surprised at how much trouble he had in the Tennessee game; I have to wonder if he was being asked to do things he had not been asked to do in the past because Grahambo or Fauria was there... Again, all we can do is grouse about it and hope coaching and effort improve that performance. I can let this eat a hole in my stomach, or not, since I have no control over the situation.

...you have a guy [Watson] who has been productive through high school and college, but was never "The" primary receiver...

Sorry to pick nits, Mr. Box, but 23 catches as a senior is not what I consider productive. For all our sakes, Let's hope that a football player's fire can be lit under this athlete's behind.

Sorry to pick nits, Mr. Box, but 23 catches as a senior is not what I consider productive. For all our sakes, Let's hope that a football player's fire can be lit under this athlete's behind.
23 for a TE? What is productive then? Wasn't there also an ankle issue? The central point still remains the same, he's a TE, a position that isn't featured as the primary receiver all that often like he was last season; one of the reasons for high expectations this season is the fact a Moss/Stallworth-level WR with a Welker slot man creates mismatch opportunities with an athletic TE - I just hope he's not "pushing" too hard and stiffening up for the ball. The kid doesn't have natural mitts and as a stone hands guy myself focus and being relaxed are something he'll need to acquire.

OT: David Patten has looked good the past couple weeks for New Orleans, nice to see how he does with a real QB and a better situation.

Mills and Thomas both had many more than 23 receptions as a senior, and as a junior. If Watson is simply a pass-catcher, then he should be compared with them. Of course, in the NFL, and on the patriots, we demand much more from a TE.

I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with Watson this year. Just call it a gut feeling. :cool:

I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with Watson this year. Just call it a gut feeling. :cool:
I'm thinking positively, but I fear the looming game one has caused an outbreak of Suxfan fever among those with lowered immune systems from two many fantasies.

OT: David Patten has looked good the past couple weeks for New Orleans, nice to see how he does with a real QB and a better situation.

I saw that too, it is nice to see him succeeding (even if it is only preseason) so early with Brees and the Saints.

Who expected Ty Warren to make the leap he made last season? Ben is three years into at least a 10 year career, make that two with the time off on IR in year one, let's not get carried away with our expectations. Patience grasshopper.

Questions for the group?

1) How often did Graham stay into block? I was wondering if he was used as an extra blocker on a regular basis perhaps hiding defficiencies with the OL.

2) Why don't the Patriots use Watson like Indy uses Clark? Indy rarely asks Clark to block in-line, he kind of comes in from the side like an annoying red neck gnat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case