PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can TE Watson cut it as a blocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
After watching both preseason games thus far, I am noticing that Watson's blocking as clearly sub-par.

He is leaning against and not engaging the defender. He is rarely using his hands correctly and hasn't got a clue how to grasp and control or how to sink his hips to avoid being pancacked.

I know we have K Brady on the roster as a blocker, but if K Brady stays our much longer or can't make it back, then we will have to rely on Watson to block at some point and I'm not sure he is up to the task. And I can't believe that Brady and Maroney/Faulk/Morris/Evans aren't thinking along those lines as well.

The only good news for Watson is that he is not worst blocking TE on the roster; that designation goes to Mills hands down.

If Rivers keeps catching ball well, the coaching staff will have to re-examine the starting TE situation come opening day.

Last edited:
Me, I just hope Watson can catch and hang onto the ball

Last edited:
No IMO

Watson is in this offense for primarily catching the ball (if he learns how to hold onto the freakin thing)

You want a good blocker?,Then hope Kyle is ready to play on obvious passing downs

More often than not his blocks result in a runaway defensive player. If possible I would avoid using him to block in-line, but I can't see why the Patriots don't use him to be an annoyance blocker such as Dallas Clark.

Clark lines up in the slot and if it is a running play moves into the defensive end or LB (whoever has the edge). He essentially has a running start.

Isnt it crazy how much investment we've seemingly put into the position only to find it to be a weakness again, just a couple years on?

I hope Thomas is ready soon as he's the only one Im confident in bringing the full complement of TE skills to the table. He was a decent blocker last year and can clearly catch the ball. Im not worried about Watsons receiving- he will be fine. But his blocking truly sux.

I think the outlook on Thomas is not good.
At best he's PUP and not on the field until almost November.
At worst, he joins the annual large IR crew.
Broken foot injuries sometimes don't heal well or quickly.

I think the regular season PUP is where he's heading, with a chance to return mid-season. Othewise I think he'd already be on IR if he was heading there.

When was it broken? We then need to understand the severity of the break.

All this is news to me as Ive been in Soxland for a bulk of the offseason.

A tight end is supposed to be able to block.
If he can't, then he is just another wide reciever.
Watson's potential had me wanting him rather than Graham.
I've changed my mind.
I reserve the right to change it again though if he does step up.:D

If he's there to catch the ball, then he is simply a receiver who happen to play next to the tackle.

TE's need to block. We even like our wideouts to block!

When was it broken? We then need to understand the severity of the break.

All this is news to me as Ive been in Soxland for a bulk of the offseason.

Broke it months ago around 1st minicamp. No info on severity. You expect BB to disclose? We're lucky we know it's broken. You need to watch for leading indicators, like the player is seen on the sidelines at practise but in street clothes; he's walking w/o crutches; he's walking normally; he died; whatever.

As for Thomas, he has not been seen at practise on the sidelines. Other guys who came off PUP were seen on the sidelines for a week or 2-3 beforehand. No Thomas. That's why I say PUP at best.

Last edited:
I think the regular season PUP is where he's heading, with a chance to return mid-season. Othewise I think he'd already be on IR if he was heading there.

Not so. BB has placed a guy on PUP and he's later gone to IR even despite press reports indicating he'll return by such and such date.

We have NO info.

Every week we don't hear about Thomas walking on the sidelines at Gillette increases the possibility that he's IRed. My bet is PUP with return in November.

So Reiss & Breer report Thomas on the sidelines last week with his foot in a protective boot. Not exactly good. Can't run or work out aerobically easily. Rowing machine possibly.

Last edited:
Sadly, I concur after seeing Ben in the games. I believe he can learn to be good, but he really needs to get his mind 'right.' I agree Rivers is working himself into a job given Ben's blocking and Thomas' injury status. I'm not convinced the Pats know where Mills will wind up in the equation.

Ochmed: Details on what you are seeing from Mills please...any STs work you can factor in (I noticed him on one KR, but never saw a block).

I'm pleased to see one late conversion to the 'we miss Grahambo' brigade. :(

Based on all he guys that play WR that can catch the ball that have signed on this offseason, and the obvious weakness at RT as it is, do you think it is crazy to think I wish Watson was the FA that got away this year and not Graham?

Pat Burns, while he was HC of the Bruins, once asked, "If you can't score and don't fight, then what good are you?"

To Ben Watson, I ask: If you can't catch and don't block, then why did we draft you instead of LB Karlos Dansby? The '04 draft is looking more like Vince Wilfork and nobody else.

I have never been a member of the Ben Watson Fan Club, and have been given no reason heretofore to consider joining.

It's a shame what happened to David Thomas; after Grahambo left, I considered him my #1 TE. A question: did Thomas have the flu during the AFCC? If the answer is No, then why didn't Skippy use him, like maybe on 3rd and 4?

Watson has great, straight ahead speed but I don't think he's real agile. He's kind of stiff. Watch him if a pass is low to him. He really should have learned to be a better blocker by now. Maybe he will. I think Thomas may end up getting IR'd. Foot injuries are can be tough to get over. There's a lot of bones in a foot and they have to be all working well or it's tough to make cuts and run right. Too bad we couldn't put Thomas's hands on Watson and add Graham's blocking. Now there's a good TE -:)

Too bad we couldn't put Thomas's hands on Watson and add Graham's blocking. Now there's a good TE -:)

I think anyone who could take the best attributes from two first round picks and a 3rd rounder who all play the same position and mold them into one would have a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes