PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain to me why the hit by Pollard was not a penalty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley initiated the contact and it was close, but I think it was a fumble. It sucks because these are the plays we are used to have going our way and we didn't get any this game.

After Pollard's PF penalty I was yelling for Pollard's ejection (wishful thinking), because it was a sign that he was once again blatantly trying to injure. Yet Ridley knocks his own damn self out on Pollard's helmet. Irony to a T.

I really didn't appreciate the Pollard highlight reel BTW. Literally insult to injury... and people at CBS are mad at BB for not being classy.

but if it was a pats defender and they were discussing an odd injury history against let's say the jets

would you have appreciated the history lesson then?

and i don't think ridley fumbled

it looks clear as day, calf down then knee pops ball out

and i don't think ridley fumbled

it looks clear as day, calf down then knee pops ball out

The call was close enough if the refs called "down by contact" first, it would have stood. Alas, the call on the field was a fumble, and not enough evidence to overturn it. Keep in mind, the ball doesn't have to be completely out of the runners hands; the beginning of movement on the way to losing possession is the start of the fumble.

In a way, it's a contradiction to the other close call in the Atlanta game where the ground definately moved the ball in a way suggesting the receiver was not in control... however, Perreira said the ball has to break contact with the hand to be considered a "loss of possession."

The monster hit to Pitta looked bad but then you look at it and see that the LB squares up on him and gives....the same kind of hit Pollard gives to Ridley. Both end up not getting called.

Can't have one without the other.

Pitta was a defenseless receiver Ridley was not... apples and oranges...

You call the Pollard hit clean. I call the Pitta one clean.

Can't have it both ways. Either both are dirty or both are legal.

The NFL referee working the game, Bill Leavy, explained what he saw after the game: "What I saw was the receiver was going to the ground, had both legs off the ground, no body part was on the ground. The ball hit his knee and dislodged from his hand before the rest of his body hit the ground, therefore it was a fumble and we confirmed it."

The play was reviewed and this is exactly what I saw in the stadium on the huge screen with multiple different angles, not a 500x375 animated gif on a message board.

The ref wasn't looking at a screen. In fact, the replay booth was looking at a closeup. Much better than a .gif probably with multiple angles. Inside the stadium, ain't the same thing. Everyone watching with me that saw the replay that he was down on contact, including 2 Jets fans.

It's odd to watch Patriots fans whine about a hard hitting safety time and time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft