PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Cassel get rid of the ball any slower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassel is without question the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. If we can get an average to slightly below average QB, this team will succeed since the AFC is weak this year. The Patriots supporting cast is great.

I dont agree with that, neither do the stats if your a stat geek.

NFL Stats: by Player Category

Does anyone remember the Bledsoe years? All Pro QB but was always sacked cause he had a terrible O-line? Then a funny thing happened. Brady came in and the same O-line went from terrible to very good over night. How? Brady makes super quick reads and moves well within the pocket. Matt does neither. This is an excellent ( 3 All Pro's ) O line, and an above average running game, and AAA receivers. This is almost the exact team that had the best Offense in the history of the NFL. The difference is Brady/ Cassel. NOT the O-line.

How dumb can you be? Stallworth is gone, CJax never was, and Jabbar, Kelly, Aiken, Welker and Watson are hurting.

Sure its all Cassel's fault. When you go to the store see if you can get a brain. Yours is defective and not working.:(

This is a joke right? Your comparing the 49ers Defense to the NFL Superbowl Champion, best Defensive pass rush in the NFL in 2007, NY Giants? Your saying that Brady would be sacked 6 times, fumble once and throw 2 picks against the 49ers?
This is a joke right? Tommy Brady never tossed a 4 int game against a 2-14 team? What Brady might have done or not done is moot, he wasn't there. Cassel was. The Pats won. Cassel is the QB for this season. Let's enjoy Cassel's progression and the tension of an uncertain season.

Does anyone remember the Bledsoe years? All Pro QB but was always sacked cause he had a terrible O-line? Then a funny thing happened. Brady came in and the same O-line went from terrible to very good over night. How? Brady makes super quick reads and moves well within the pocket. Matt does neither. This is an excellent ( 3 All Pro's ) O line, and an above average running game, and AAA receivers. This is almost the exact team that had the best Offense in the history of the NFL. The difference is Brady/ Cassel. NOT the O-line.

Have people just forgotten the SB? The O-Line was panned all day and not even TB could rescue it

Have people just forgotten the SB? The O-Line was panned all day and not even TB could rescue it
Correct. I'm more concerned with the o-line outing that quarterback play. The lineman seem to have troubles when teams bring the heat.

My thought are as such. We're having trouble establishing protection for the QB and opening up big gaps for the backs. Why not get in some real world practice in game situations now, and address most of the concerns we have with the o-line this season, so that when TB12 is back next season, his stellar pocket presence becomes God-like.

That said, I am not writing off this year by any stretch of imagination. Just a different way of looking at paving future progress.

Correct. I'm more concerned with the o-line outing that quarterback play. The lineman seem to have troubles when teams bring the heat.

My thought are as such. We're having trouble establishing protection for the QB and opening up big gaps for the backs. Why not get in some real world practice in game situations now, and address most of the concerns we have with the o-line this season, so that when TB12 is back next season, his stellar pocket presence becomes God-like.

That said, I am not writing off this year by any stretch of imagination. Just a different way of looking at paving future progress.

Despite everything I said in the offseason, I'm gonna predict right now, that the right side of the o-line will be different guys next year. I like Neal, but too many injuries.

Mankins is a good guard, who's just being inconsistant at the moment. I think he will snap out of it soon. Bottom line, we seem to be running to the left, alot. hmmmm ;)

Sage Rosenfelds may become available. He's a vet QB.
Kitna is toast.
Would you like decaf or regular with that? Kitna is toast and after yesterday's game, Rosenfels is either sunnyside up or over easy.

I agree with the negatives on Cassel, that his release is slow, he takes too many sacks, and he's not accurate. It's all relative and given what we're accustomed to, it's not surprising to find fault. If we'd been watching an ordinary QB the last few years, we might not think Cassel was so bad.

Why not give him a few more games? He still hasn't played all that much. As a famous poster might say, patience, grasshopper.

Yeah. I was going to say that J.T. O'Sullivan looked like the worst QB in the game today, much less the NFL.

You must have missed the Colts-Houston game where veteran QB Sage Rosenfels single handedly destroyed his own team with a 17 point lead and 8 1/2 minutes left to go. :)

So THIS week it's Kitna we need to sign as a vet? ;) I need a scorcard to keep up with the "BB needs to sign a vet NOW!!! crowd.

Last edited:
You must have missed the Colts-Houston game where veteran QB Sage Rosenfels single handedly destroyed his own team with a 17 point lead and 8 1/2 minutes left to go. :)
Thank you. I knew you were being sarcastic in your earlier post, but the way I quoted you may have left others in doubt.

Crowell33, you are right on. Tom Brady would eat the Niner defense alive. However, TB is one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL and comparing him to Cassel is unfair.

Cassel is without question the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. If we can get an average to slightly below average QB, this team will succeed since the AFC is weak this year. The Patriots supporting cast is great.

For the Kitna bashers, look at his stats when surrounded by a strong supporting cast. I am not saying Kitna is the next coming of Brady. Kitna would greatly improve our chances. 8 - 8 is a stretch with Cassel at QB.

Well that just revealed how little you know about the NFL. THe guy is 3-1with 2 road victories, and hes the worst QB in the NFL? Worse than Damon Huard?

why are you in school today?

Cassel stays, season is just about half over, they are not bringing anyone else in. I also think Cassel is, the, if not one of, the worst "starting" qb's in the nfl, but I think its from lack of playing time. They stick with him and hope he learns as the season goes on, make the playoffs and have a good run. If not, oh well, Brady will be back next season and we can all be pumped for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft