PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Cassel get rid of the ball any slower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you answered, I'll give the other half. Look at any list of the top QBs. Then eliminate young QBs that are only there based on potential.

You're left with 10, if that. Kitna is a proven veteran who is steady and doesn't make stupid mistakes.

Since any otherwise strong team that doesn't have a proven veteran might have a wasted season that could be saved by acquiring a veteran that can manage a game, why in Gawd's name would even Detroit just give one away?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I do understand your point. However, the Lions are going to cut Kitna at the end of the season and they have no chance of winning this season. If I was the Lions, I would try to get something and part ways. I would avoid investing in this season. I would consider a third for Kitna since we have a veteran team and the window is closing (hard to believe but true).

In addition, what other playoff contending team is in desparate need of a QB? The only two with a shot of the playoffs are the Vikings and the Bears and they are division opponents.

October

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I do understand your point. However, the Lions are going to cut Kitna at the end of the season and they have no chance of winning this season. If I was the Lions, I would try to get something and part ways. I would avoid investing in this season. I would consider a third for Kitna since we have a veteran team and the window is closing (hard to believe but true).

In addition, what other playoff contending team is in desparate need of a QB? The only two with a shot of the playoffs are the Vikings and the Bears and they are division opponents.

October

Why would a contender want a 36 year old 25th ranked QB heading into week 5 who was benched at the half today in favor of the immortal Dan Orlovsky...

God, please make them stop............

Sage Rosenfelds may become available. He's a vet QB.

Why would a contender want a 36 year old 25th ranked QB heading into week 5 who was benched at the half today in favor of the immortal Dan Orlovsky...

God, please make them stop............

What kind of chances do we have of winning the Super Bowl with Matt Cassel at QB?

What kind of chances do we have of winning the Super Bowl with Jon Kitna at QB? Keep in mind the supporting cast Kitna has is not even close to Cassel.

The AFC is not as strong as past years and the race is wide open.

The Lions are building for the future now that they have fired Millen. They are waving the white flag for the season and will go young the rest of the way.

What kind of chances do we have of winning the Super Bowl with Matt Cassel at QB?

What kind of chances do we have of winning the Super Bowl with Jon Kitna at QB? Keep in mind the supporting cast Kitna has is not even close to Cassel.

The AFC is not as strong as past years and the race is wide open.

The Lions are building for the future now that they have fired Millen. They are waving the white flag for the season and will go young the rest of the way.

Last year Kitna led the NFL in both interceptions AND fumbles. His rating was under 81. How is it that you think he's a Belichick type of quarterback?

Kitna posted back to back 4,000 yeard seasons.

The main point is Matt Cassel is unable to bring Super Bowl glory to NE in 2008. We have several key components that could make this possible with a decent QB. I realize replacing Tom Brady is impossible

The main point is Matt Cassel is unable to bring Super Bowl glory to NE in 2008. We have several key components that could make this possible with a decent QB. I realize replacing Tom Brady is impossible

How many Super Bowls has Jon Kitna won?

How is it that people can make such bold predictions after 4 games into a season and that the SB has been won by a bunch of underachieving QB's in the past? I understand the odds but really there's more to the game than just one position.

Cassel IS a decent QB. Kitna is toast. Cassel has potential and upside. Kitna has nothing but a big yap that writes checks his offense can't cash. Kitna led the league in SACKS the last 2 seasons and threw 3 more INTS than TD's over the same period. Next to the definition of empty stats is a picture of Jon Kitna...

Tom Brady couldn't bring superbowl glory to NE in 2007. If they win this year it will only be because they will have earned it AS A TEAM.

Your football knowledge and talent evaluation abilities are mind boggling. You need to be hired by some NFL team right now. There is no doubt in my mind, with you leading the way superbowls every single year would be guaranteed. Just do it.

BTW in Kitna's 2 4000 yard seasons he threw more INTs than TDs. In fact in his 9 years of starting he has only thrown more TDs than INTs 3 times. Superbowl bound, make a deal now!

Does anyone remember the Bledsoe years? All Pro QB but was always sacked cause he had a terrible O-line? Then a funny thing happened. Brady came in and the same O-line went from terrible to very good over night. How? Brady makes super quick reads and moves well within the pocket. Matt does neither. This is an excellent ( 3 All Pro's ) O line, and an above average running game, and AAA receivers. This is almost the exact team that had the best Offense in the history of the NFL. The difference is Brady/ Cassel. NOT the O-line.

Does anyone remember the Bledsoe years? All Pro QB but was always sacked cause he had a terrible O-line? Then a funny thing happened. Brady came in and the same O-line went from terrible to very good over night. How? Brady makes super quick reads and moves well within the pocket. Matt does neither. This is an excellent ( 3 All Pro's ) O line, and an above average running game, and AAA receivers. This is almost the exact team that had the best Offense in the history of the NFL. The difference is Brady/ Cassel. NOT the O-line.

Imagine if this Tom Brady guy could have played in the superbowl... if he did then the O-Line would have played better and the offense might have scored more points. :rolleyes:

BTW I know Brady is the GOAT and he will obviously make a lot of o-lines "look" better. Cassel doesn't need to play like the greatest QB ever though, nor should anyone expect him to. 31 other teams don't have Brady either. And there are hardly any great QBs in this league.

Oh and we scored 30 points today, with a QB who has exactly 3 starts since high school now, and we are 3-1.

I'm an anti-Cassel person but I thought Cassel made some progress

today. The team scored 30 points with him at quarterback. Cassel

has to learn to get rid of the ball a little sooner and throw it away if

necessary to avoid a sack.

This is a joke right? Your comparing the 49ers Defense to the NFL Superbowl Champion, best Defensive pass rush in the NFL in 2007, NY Giants? Your saying that Brady would be sacked 6 times, fumble once and throw 2 picks against the 49ers?

Garcia played today, Griese got hurt.

Cassel did enough to win, nothing more, nothing less.

He has been sacked five time already today. He looks like a poor's man Drew Bledsoe with happier feet

And I'd say a good portion of those had nothing to do with Cassell holding the ball too long - just complete failures of the OL with no time to throw at all.

I'm not saying Cassell hasn't failed to get rid of the ball at times - I think that criticism has been sounded by quite a few - but you can't just look at a sack total and say who is to blame.

This is a joke right? Your comparing the 49ers Defense to the NFL Superbowl Champion, best Defensive pass rush in the NFL in 2007, NY Giants? Your saying that Brady would be sacked 6 times, fumble once and throw 2 picks against the 49ers?

Crowell33, you are right on. Tom Brady would eat the Niner defense alive. However, TB is one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL and comparing him to Cassel is unfair.

Cassel is without question the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. If we can get an average to slightly below average QB, this team will succeed since the AFC is weak this year. The Patriots supporting cast is great.

For the Kitna bashers, look at his stats when surrounded by a strong supporting cast. I am not saying Kitna is the next coming of Brady. Kitna would greatly improve our chances. 8 - 8 is a stretch with Cassel at QB.

Crowell33, you are right on. Tom Brady would eat the Niner defense alive. However, TB is one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL and comparing him to Cassel is unfair.

Cassel is without question the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. If we can get an average to slightly below average QB, this team will succeed since the AFC is weak this year. The Patriots supporting cast is great.

For the Kitna bashers, look at his stats when surrounded by a strong supporting cast. I am not saying Kitna is the next coming of Brady. Kitna would greatly improve our chances. 8 - 8 is a stretch with Cassel at QB.

:confused:

With Cassel at QB, the Patriots are 3-1. How that makes 8-8 a stretch is a question for the ages, given the struggles of the Colts and Chargers, who were supposed to be among the team's most difficult opponents.

Have you actually looked at the team's schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft