PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By what criteria did the league decide which game to flex on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jets - Phins and Jags - Ratbirds. Both games will have a bearing on the playoffs. Both games offer win and your in scenarios. Jets - Phins has good storyline + Lord Favre. Jags - Ratbirds also has a good story, rookie coach, rookie QB, etc.

Only the jags have their fate already decided, so these should be good games.....

Just shoot me. The same argument the OP is making - the Jets will tank because Jacksonville has only a slight chance of winning - can also be made with respect to the Pats-Bills, i.e., if Pats-Bills were on at 4 too, the Jets would still tank because the chances of Buffalo winning are slight.

1. This argument makes no sense.
2. The conspiracy talk is pathetic.
3. The Pats should have won more games. As it is, they have to rely on other, crappy teams to win. That sucks, but it is not the NFL's fault.

I disagree with you. If PATs played at 4 also the
JETs would not KNOW the PATs would win or lose until the score was
out of reach. Suppose the 1st half has PATs up only by 3 points?
They still have a shot at Divis

By playing at 1 if the PATs win, the JETs will go into their game
knowing
1. they win ... PATs are Division Champs
and maybe Raven lose and they get in as a wild card.
2. they lose Miami is Division Champs

THIS IS A HORRIBLE THING THE NFL HAS DONE.

They should have kept all three teams playing at the same time be it
1 or 4 .
There is absolutely no justifiable reason for this manipulation by
the NFL .... NONE!!!

Kraft and Belichick should be very vocal about this! The PATs guys have
fought though injuries and played their heart out only to get this slap in the face by the NFL. This is an outrage! :mad::mad::mad:

Just shoot me. The same argument the OP is making - the Jets will tank because Jacksonville has only a slight chance of winning - can also be made with respect to the Pats-Bills, i.e., if Pats-Bills were on at 4 too, the Jets would still tank because the chances of Buffalo winning are slight.

1. This argument makes no sense.
2. The conspiracy talk is pathetic.
3. The Pats should have won more games. As it is, they have to rely on other, crappy teams to win. That sucks, but it is not the NFL's fault.

The Patriots could have gone 12-4, and if Miami and Baltimore won a game, say Ravens v. Steelers, we'd be in the same position. so, I'm not inclined to go the IF route for IF the Patriots had won one more game, they wouldn't have this problem.

Having two games on at the same time would have been better for competitive integrity since the chances of both Ravens and Pats being up big at halftime are less than only one of them being up big.

Plus, with the weather in Buffalo, New England's passing game is all but dead for tomorrow.

How did they decide who would be "flexed"? It would seem only natural that the most logical thing to do to ENSURE that the Jests didn't bag it if Baltimore is destroying the Jags.....would be to PUT the Pats/Bills game at 4:15 pm. I mean, if the Jests don't know their fate yet,......THEY HAVE TO PLAY IT OUT.....they are still somewhat in control of their destiny......THE PATRIOTS are totally dependent on what other teams do.....to get into the playoffs.

This just seems like another F.U. by GOD-dell to the Krafts and the Patriots.....and a defense of his beloved Jets. How in gods name can you explain it any other way? IF we beat Buffalo........The Jests already know that if Balt is beating the Jags pretty soundly by halftime (which they should).....and that NE has already won.......their next move is to lie down for Miami to keep BB/Pats out of the postseason........EVERYONE can see this one coming......except that corrupt pile of horsesh#t GOD-dell and the other con-artists and scheister's (sp) that control this league.......This is f'in pathetic.......

Yes, I think the flexing ends up being to the Patriots' detriment. No, I don't think it was on purpose. Just my opinion.

.......Because, If Pats win, and Baltimore jumps out fast against Jax.....Jets have the information available to justify a "laying down" so that the Pats don't get in. This would be pathetic....but I could see it because Man-GINA and the Jests hate the Pats SO MUCH.....

Dec. 28, 2008. CBS Announcing NYJ/MIA game :..."Here is an update in Baltimore as the Ravens now go up 20-3 on the Jaguars with 0:33 remaining in the first half, and here, Brett Favre has a 3rd and 11 at his own 4 yard in what looks to be a kneel-down situation with 8 seconds remaining in the first half with Dolphins ahead 10-3. Whoaa, Favre goes back to PASS, is scambling in his own end zone, looking, looking, Porter from the blind side, he's hit near the back of the end zone, ball loose, Jets recover,.......hold on, the are trying to get to the bottom of the pile, TOUCHDOWN Miami, they go up 17-3 as the teams head to the locker rooms for half time. It is surprising **** to see Brett giving Joey Porter the high-five after such a devastating play, and you'd think by Brett's expression that the Jets just scored not the Dolphins. That's strange......."

Last edited:
There is absolutely no justifiable reason for this manipulation by the NFL .... NONE!!!

Kraft and Belichick should be very vocal about this!

That is simply untrue, there is what many believe is a justifiable reason (TV). For that matter, this allows many Pats fans to watch the Jets-Miami game, which would have been impossible before the flex.

As to Belichick and Kraft screaming about this... Belichick did not, and my guess is that Kraft, TV-aware as he is AGREES with the move. Even if he wouldn't say so.

By the way, the Jets deep down believe their season is done, because everyone is pounding into their brains that they are expected to lie down on purpose. Absolutely noone has pointed out that if the Ravens get behind it will ENERGIZE the Jets and they will play harder. "Win and you're in" games go the other way every single year, people are being childish about this.

That is simply untrue, there is what many believe is a justifiable reason (TV). For that matter, this allows many Pats fans to watch the Jets-Miami game, which would have been impossible before the flex.

As to Belichick and Kraft screaming about this... Belichick did not, and my guess is that Kraft, TV-aware as he is AGREES with the move. Even if he wouldn't say so.

By the way, the Jets deep down believe their season is done, because everyone is pounding into their brains that they are expected to lie down on purpose. Absolutely noone has pointed out that if the Ravens get behind it will ENERGIZE the Jets and they will play harder. "Win and you're in" games go the other way every single year, people are being childish about this.

I think you're way off on Kraft's reaction to this. You really think Kraft believes it's a better move to mess with his team's playoff chances for the possibility of making the league a couple extra hundred thousand dollars? Really?

Jeez, again?

Some fans would tank a game and thereby trash their repuatation out of pettiness and dislike for another opponent. I understand that. I'm a fan and I hate the Jets.

However, players are professional and this is business to them. They play well for their careers and reputations, so that another team will sign them when they are free agents, and because that is what they do.

Have you ever watched after a game, and seen players hugging and laughing with the members of the other team. Most of us dislike Peyton, but Brady doesn't.

All this talk about tanking games is stupid.

The Jets will lose because Favre sucks as a QB and Mangini sucks as a HC, not because of what may or may not be on the scoreboard.

This move can seriously lessen the JETS motivation as they play the game.
A highly motivated JETs team is very advantageous to the Patriots.
This move therefore presents a very real possibility of detriment to the Patriots chances for a Playoff position.

The players have over come injuries this year only to get handed a raw
deal by the NFL!

TV money and Fans watching JETS/DOLPHINS game is in NO WAY
justification to do this to the Patriots Players and organization.
How could you even suggest that it is. :confused::confused:

This is SO BAD! ... unless we don't care about the Patriots getting into the playoffs :eek:

I disagree with you. If PATs played at 4 also the
JETs would not KNOW the PATs would win or lose until the score was
out of reach. Suppose the 1st half has PATs up only by 3 points?
They still have a shot at Divis

By playing at 1 if the PATs win, the JETs will go into their game
knowing
1. they win ... PATs are Division Champs
and maybe Raven lose and they get in as a wild card.
2. they lose Miami is Division Champs

THIS IS A HORRIBLE THING THE NFL HAS DONE.

They should have kept all three teams playing at the same time be it
1 or 4 .
There is absolutely no justifiable reason for this manipulation by
the NFL .... NONE!!!

Kraft and Belichick should be very vocal about this! The PATs guys have
fought though injuries and played their heart out only to get this slap in the face by the NFL. This is an outrage! :mad::mad::mad:

I could not agree with you more......well said........oh wait a minute...I'm the original poster...of course I am going to agree!!!! In all honesty, you and I think alike on this one....I'm not talking conspiracy theories......just that it isn't overly fair to the Pats to allow the Jests an opportunity to f**K us....by laying down.........If they know that their goose is cooked by halftime for example......trust me.....If all of a sudden they start running up the middle 3 times and punting......you will know the fix is in!

dec. 28, 2008. Cbs announcing nyj/mia game :..."here is an update in baltimore as the ravens now go up 20-3 on the jaguars with 0:33 remaining in the first half, and here, brett favre has a 3rd and 11 at his own 4 yard in what looks to be a kneel-down situation with 8 seconds remaining in the first half with dolphins ahead 10-3. Whoaa, favre goes back to pass, is scambling in his own end zone, looking, looking, porter from the blind side, he's hit near the back of the end zone, ball loose, jets recover,.......hold on, the are trying to get to the bottom of the pile, touchdown miami, they go up 17-3 as the teams head to the locker rooms for half time. It is surprising **** to see brett giving joey porter the high-five after such a devastating play, and you'd think by brett's expression that the jets just scored not the dolphins. That's strange......."

lol.....;)

You know, we are truly blessed at patsfans.com to have you present to ask the tough questions like that one, because apparently at no time in the 214 messages in that thread did anyone think of discussing that topic. :rolleyes:

thanks.....I appreciate that.....Its great to finally get some recognition on here for my hard work and analysis........I feel the same way about your posts by the way!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Great post and the most important one i believe that will determine our chances tomoro.
HOW can some of my fellow friends not understand that by having the Jets play after our game is over, and should God willing we win,,,than our chances are FAR less than if we had played at the same time !!! Do some of you really want to believe that they will play with the thinking...GO JAGS ?? Not a chance. We win , their season is over, end of story. Will they play with same passion and dtermination ? I cant answer that now, all i know and so did that Goodell, that had we played both games at the same time Our chances were higher.
Disgraceful by the NFL, and i just cant understand why some just dont get it ? Its been done to stop the Patriots getting in. We Will Win,,,the Jets wont. Our chances are higher with the Jags. GO JAGS.

So, there you go, when it comes to competitive integrity, the league doesn't have to maximize that criteria. They can have less integrity if it makes them more money.

The flaw in this logic is that the NFL stands to make more money with NE in the playoffs than with Miami in. Making the decision to competitively disadvantage NE in order to maximize TV profits for one weekend makes no sense.

Well, I guess the NFL should have had the Chiefs-Bengals, Browns-Steelers, Titans-Colts, and Lions-Packers as the only 1:00 games, Chargers-Broncos at 8:00, and everything else on at 4:00 in order to avoid any potential meaningless games.

This conspiracy theory/anti- Patriot Godell thing is getting so ridiculously out of hand ...

Assuming that all teams will check the scoreboards at half time, it makes NO difference in a situation where the Patriots have won prior to the Jets game, or whether they are leading at the half (which is likely based on them being favourites). If all the games were at the same time, the Jets could be leading a close game at half, come in and see the Ravens and Patriots leading at half and we'd be in the same boat.

I think you're way off on Kraft's reaction to this. You really think Kraft believes it's a better move to mess with his team's playoff chances for the possibility of making the league a couple extra hundred thousand dollars? Really?

I think that principles that one believes in should hold even when they have the potential to hurt you. Kraft understands TV better than many owners and I am convinced he would support this move if the Patriots weren't involved, and also that he has enough integrity to support it even though they are.

I still believe this is all overblown, it is based on assumptions about team motivations which have been shown to not always be true, not to mention personal motivations which we can only speculate on.

The flaw in this logic is that the NFL stands to make more money with NE in the playoffs than with Miami in. Making the decision to competitively disadvantage NE in order to maximize TV profits for one weekend makes no sense.

Great point. They like to make money wherever they can grab it, I guess. They know better than I do how the ratings work.

To be honest, I don't care about the TV, I only care about the competitveness of the games. I'm a fan of football, not the executives in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News