PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By Request: Arizona scouting report from a Cards fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! I think I speak for almost everyone in saying we hope you enjoy your stay. Good luck to your Cards after this week, win or lose.:)

Jamell Fleming was a big time 2012 NFL Draft board binkie for some posters, including myself, on the PatsFans message board.

Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

As was Massie, esp at the end of the 3rd round. I'm still hoping that Bequette proves worthy of the top-100 pick Bill invested in him; otherwise, passing on Massie, or CB/Returner Brandon Boykin or one of the WRs, might not look too good down the road.

Another binkie of some here during the 2011 draft was OLB/DE Sam Acho, who I felt was terrific value early in the 4th round. Too bad that we couldn't keep the 99th pick given us by Denver for Maroney; we could've used Acho last year, esp after Andre Carter was lost.

Is there anybody on the team that you trust trying to cover Gronk or Hernandez?

The Cardinals defense has always struggled with good TEs. The Patriots have Two. Needless to say expect big numbers from those two.

In a nutshell.

The Cardinals Defense is very agressive. Look for a lot of screen plays by the Pats. It's the Cardinals achillies heel.

On both sides of the ball ... can't defend or effectively run one on offense -- although to be fair, we can't do anything effectively on offense.

Fleming has looked great but got hurt against the Seahawks. Not sure what his status is and if he will be able to play or not this weekend.
That's a shame! :mad:

I hate to see good young prospects injured!

We play man with safety coverage over the top. Wilson (SS) often pressures the QB. We love giving different looks and sending the pressure from all over. We've seen 0 to 4 down linemen since Horton's been around (the 11 guys standing up defense in my personal favorite!).

In case people aren't familiar, our defensive coordinator Ray Horton came over from the Steelers and is in his second year as the Cards DC -- so our defense incorporates a lot of those concepts.

The Pats generlly have done very well against Steeler defenses in the past by spreading them out and passing all over the field. This year I believe that the Pats x-factor is the ability to threaten in the run game with Ridley. When you combine that with our all-world tight ends, and the addition of Lloyd to go over the top, well its a very difficult task for any defense to contain them.

I expect the Pats to average over 30 points per game this season. The question is, can the Zona offense keep up with Kolb at the helm? Fitzgerald is a monster but I think it is a given that he will be double eamed all day. And the Pats run D looks like it has reached an even higher level this year.

As was Massie, esp at the end of the 3rd round. I'm still hoping that Bequette proves worthy of the top-100 pick Bill invested in him; otherwise, passing on Massie, or CB/Returner Brandon Boykin or one of the WRs, might not look too good down the road.
I was curious about Massie but never completely sold.

Another binkie of some here during the 2011 draft was OLB/DE Sam Acho, who I felt was terrific value early in the 4th round. Too bad that we couldn't keep the 99th pick given us by Denver for Maroney; we could've used Acho last year, esp after Andre Carter was lost.
I'm with Off the Grid on the evaluation of Ryan Mallett. I would have rather drafted Sam Acho instead.

That's a shame! :mad:

I hate to see good young prospects injured!

Injury Update:

The shoulder injury to rookie cornerback Jamell Fleming is not serious. Cards hopeful he will be available against the Patriots.

Injury Update:

The shoulder injury to rookie cornerback Jamell Fleming is not serious. Cards hopeful he will be available against the Patriots.
The Arizona Cardinals in two consecutive years have selected two PatsFans message board draft binkies:

Jamell Fleming
Sam Acho

Hopefully both will be active Sunday! :D

Enjoy the game! :rocker:

AAHH! It's refreshing to have a nice, insightful, knowledgeable visitor. EDIT: (Visitors). Welcome and good luck with your season. :). Oh yea, And slip Hoyer a mickey:D

Last edited:
Most people here have probalby heard of these names (Larry Fitzgerald, Todd Heap, Adrian Wilson, Patrick Peterson and Darnell Dockett) but here are some lesser known names to look out for:

#12 Andre Roberts - WR

Roberts was drafted in the third round a couple of years ago out of The Citadel. Obviously he was very raw coming out of a small program like that. However he really came on late last season and I expect him to have a big season this year. Many people expected the rookie Floyd to be the #2 WR this year, but Roberts has a firm hold on the position.​

#58 Daryl Washington - ILB

Washington is entering his thrid season and just signed a 6 year extension with the Cardinals. He is a very fast LB and has good range. He is the young star of the Cardinal LB corp​

#87 Jeff King - TE

King was signed from Carolina last year. He is a very talented blocking TE. However he has proven to be a deceptive receiver who is great at finding a hole in the defense. Defenses seem to forget about King and that is when he makes a big reception to keep drives alive​

#36 Larod Stephens-Howling - RB / Kick Returner

Think Darren Sproles. Larod is the change of pace back the Cardinals like to bring in on 3 down occasionally. He is hard to find behind the big offensive linemen and has great burst. He is also a special team phenom.​

#79 David Carter - DT/DE

Carter was selected in the sixth round last year from UCLA. He rotated in to keep Dan Williams fresh at NT and filled in for Williams when he got hurt late last year. The kid exceed expectations and takes advantage of the playing time he gets.​

#51 Paris Lenon - ILB

Paris is a journeyman LB who finally found a home in Arizona. In two seasons he as solidified himself as the leader of the Defense. Not bad for a guy who many thought wouldn't make the roster when he was originally signed. The guy is a student of the game, a workout warrior and the coaches rely on him to run the defense on the field.​

Last edited:
Most people here have probalby heard of these names (Larry Fitzgerald, Todd Heap, Adrian Wilson, Patrick Peterson and Darnell Dockett) but here are some lesser known names to look out for:

#12 Andre Roberts - WR

Roberts was drafted in the third round a couple of years ago out of The Citadel. Obviously he was very raw coming out of a small program like that. However he really came on late last season and I expect him to have a big season this year. Many people expected the rookie Floyd to be the #2 WR this year, but Roberts has a firm hold on the position.​

#58 Daryl Washington - ILB

Washington is entering his thrid season and just signed a 6 year extension with the Cardinals. He is a very fast LB and has good range. He is the young star of the Cardinal LB corp​

#87 Jeff King - TE

King was signed from Carolina last year. He is a very talented blocking TE. However he has proven to be a deceptive receiver who is great at finding a hole in the defense. Defenses seem to forget about King and that is when he makes a big reception to keep drives alive​

#36 Larod Stephens-Howling - RB / Kick Returner

Think Darren Sproles. Larod is the change of pace back the Cardinals like to bring in on 3 down occasionally. He is hard to find behind the big offensive linemen and has great burst. He is also a special team phenom.​

#79 David Carter - DT/DE

Carter was selected in the sixth round last year from UCLA. He rotated in to keep Dan Williams fresh at NT and filled in for Williams when he got hurt late last year. The kid exceed expectations and takes advantage of the playing time he gets.​

#51 Paris Lenon - ILB

Paris is a journeyman LB who finally found a home in Arizona. In two seasons he as solidified himself as the leader of the Defense. Not bad for a guy who many thought wouldn't make the roster when he was originally signed. The guy is a student of the game, a workout warrior and the coaches rely on him to run the defense on the field.​

First of all, Fitz is the $chit. Love that dude. a joy to watch. I think you guys have a very good, RESPECTFUL team. A reason to be proud and optimistic. Now, on the other hand, how are those Jest doin'. :bricks:

I was curious about Massie but never completely sold.

I'm with Off the Grid on the evaluation of Ryan Mallett. I would have rather drafted Sam Acho instead.

Mallett may not be a franchise QB but he's certainly more talented than Brian Hoyer and has a canon for an arm. Having Mallett allowed BB to cut Hoyer and save an extra roster spot. Acho looks like a good young player, however he doesn't beat out Chandler Jones to become a starter. He would be a backup on the Pats current roster. In summary, it seems like a national pastime to second-guess BB on this forum, but Mallett vs Acho does not look to be the right place to criticize when you consider who we have in place now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back