PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo Breakdown - opening day

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd and 2 Buf 44

Result: Run, Maroney, left tackle, 0 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, 2 TE, Watson down off LT, Graham motion right to left wing, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, LBs shade defensive right on motion, SS comes up over Graham motion, both CBs press coverage.
Blocking: Graham attacks the SS off the left edge but is turned around
Watson drags the SLB laterally away from the run
Light slides outside with the RDE but gets pushed slightly back
Mankins cuts down the MLB in the second level
Koppen can’t get the angle on the RDT, who beats Koppen outside but is trapped after the Maroney cutback inside
Neal goes for the WLB in the second level
O’Callaghan can’t execute his cut block on the LDT
Caldwell blocks the RCB
Brown blocks the LCB

Analysis: There seems to be a problem in the run blocking with protection against backside defenders. Normally they’re either chipped or left alone, but such a strategy doesn’t appear to be working against the quicker Bills DL. The playside holes are taking too long to develop, and often times the RB is forced to cutback right into the backside defenders. In the case of this play, Light wasn’t able to create a solid corner for Maroney to turn around. He was clearly off-balance with his block, and was forced backwards to take away Maroney’s outside option. The rest of the blocks outside of O’Callaghan’s missed cutblock were executed, but it was the unblocked backside defenders which brought the play to a halt.

3rd and 2 Buf 44

Result: Run, Faulk, left guard, 1 yd.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, Childress wide left, Brown right slot, Caldwell wide right, TE Graham down off LT, Faulk RB to right of Brady in shotgun.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, NB a few yards off and showing blitz just before snap, both CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Graham turns the RDE outside
Light drives the RDT downfield
Mankins seals the LDT inside
Koppen chips the LDT before getting a knock on the MLB
Neal pulls left but can’t kick the penetrating WLB out
O’Callaghan chips the LDE inside before doubling the LDT with Mankins

Analysis: Again, it’s the speedy backside defenders hurting the Pats. This time, the NB came in on a blitz, rounded edge unimpeded, and tripped up Faulk from behind just before the necessary first down yardage was attained. Neal could have had a better pull block to give Faulk more room, something that would have prevented Faulk from slowing down at the line and having the NB catch up from behind.

4th and 1 Buf 43

Result: Timeout, New England – 2 remaining in the second half.
Offense: WR Brown wide right, 3 TE, Thomas down left wing, Watson down off LT, Graham down off RT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, all 3 LBs tight to the line, FS-RCB-SS tight left wing, LCB press coverage.

Analysis: Brady came up the line, didn’t like the defense, and called a timeout. The gaps were clogged by the DTs and LBs.

4th and 1 Buf 43

Result: Sneak, Brady, up the middle, 2 yds.
Offense: WR Brown wide right, 2 TE, Watson down left wing, Graham down off LT, I-form backfield with Evans at FB and Dillon at RB.
Defense: 4-3, all 3 LBs tight to the line, FS-RCB-SS tight left wing, LCB press coverage.
Blocking: Watson was late to stand off the snap
Graham and Light double the RDE
Mankins pushes against the RDT
Koppen dives forward into the MLB
Neal spears straight into the LDT to clear the way for Brady
O’Callaghan drives the LDE off

Analysis: The Pats showed a slightly different look for this play, but the only difference in the defense came in the SLB and WLB taking a step or two back. Neal got plenty of push on the LDT while Koppen dove forward, opening a gap for Brady to lower his shoulders into and push forward for the first down.

Don't know if you're taking requests, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of those who analyzed the tapes on specific players, in terms of report card like grades. I liked the rising and falling threads after Pres season games.

Specifically, I'm curious to know what grades people would give:

Seau
Vrabel at ILB
TBC
Wilfork
Caldwell
O’Callaghan (Actually each Olineman)

Did Bam get in the game?

Last edited:
GoWesleyan said:
Don't know if you're taking requests, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of those who analyzed the tapes on specific players, in terms of report card like grades. I liked the rising and falling threads after Pres season games.

Specifically, I'm curious to know what grades people would give:

Seau
Vrabel at ILB
TBC
Wilfork
Caldwell
O’Callaghan (Actually each Olineman)

Did Bam get in the game?
We'll see what we can work up for you, hopefully by Saturday as we work through the tape.

From Pats 1, Offensive series #9:

"We need not any more examples of why Evans can't lead block."

My suspicions have been corroborated.

Q: If Garrett Mills is healthy, then why is Heath Evans on the 53?

I say it's now time to add the "smash" to smashmouth football, by adding a true FB, a Mack Strong/Lorenzo Neal/Dan Kreider/Tony Richardson type, to the RB corps. He would serve as a complement to Mills' pass-catching ability, and as a member of STs. I know what Dillon accomplished in '04, but look at what he did in Cinci when he ran behind the aforementioned Neal. A healthy Dillon + Maroney + Mills = a useless and unneeded Evans.

Some available FBs, according to kffl.com, are:
Fred Beasley
Omar Easy
James Hodgins
Robert Holcomb
Nick Luchey
Harold Morrow
Alan Ricard
Jonathan Wells
There may be others on PSs, as well.

Should I start a "FB Appreciation" thread?

Last edited:
captain stone said:

I say it's now time to add the "smash" to smashmouth football, by adding a true FB, a Mack Strong/Lorenzo Neal/Dan Kreider type, to the RB corps. He would serve as a complement to Mills' pass-catching ability, and as a member of STs. I know what Dillon accomplished in '04, but look at what he did in Cinci when he ran behind the aforementioned Neal. A healthy Dillon + Maroney + Mills = a useless and unneeded Evans.

Some available FBs, according to kffl.com, are:
Fred Beasley
Omar Easy
James Hodgins
Robert Holcomb
Nick Luchey
Harold Morrow
Alan Ricard
Jonathan Wells
There may be others on PSs, as well.

Should I start a "FB Appreciation" thread?
You can if you wish. Evans isn't a great lead blocker, but what little I've seen so far, he looks better than last year (okay, that didn't need much, but you know how BB likes people to improve themselves ;)). He is the other downhill runner behind Dillon, that "bully boy" (to quote Cory) looks like a part of BB's vision for the run game this year the way he used Cory to pound the Bills' D. I'm working on the 8th offensive series and Graham has been the primary lead blocker working from the flanker position. At the moment, Evans running, receiving, and Special Teams seems to rate higher than a true Lorenzo Neal FB for BB's goal.

captain stone said:

A: Because Mills can't block either.

dryheat44 said:

If you watched the preseason game vs. AZ, its clear that Mills at least has the potential to be a great blocker - he domnated Adrian Wilson on Dillon's touchdown run.(I'm not saying Mills is fantastic, or even consistently a decent blocker, i'm just saying he has that kind of upside.)

dryheat44 said:

Then let's bring in someone who can.

This position, lead FB, should have been filled during the offseason. I would have gone hard after Tony Richardson, who ended up changing teams, anyway.

Maybe when/if Patrick Pass returns, this problem will be somewhat alleviated. Pass is certainly a better lead blocker than Evans.

captain stone said:
Then let's bring in someone who can.

This position, lead FB, should have been filled during the offseason. I would have gone hard after Tony Richardson, who ended up changing teams, anyway.

Maybe when/if Patrick Pass returns, this problem will be somewhat alleviated. Pass is certainly a better lead blocker than Evans.
True about Pass, but that dastardly scoundrel Belichick...words fail me sigh.

Edit: Of course, I'm waiting for Jonathan Sullivan to turn up in the backfield...:eek:

Last edited:
1st and 10 Buf 41

Result: Pass, Caldwell, seam pattern, 24 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown motion wide to slot right, 2 TE, Graham offline off RT, Watson online right wing, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SS comes in box showing blitz, LCB backs off on Brown motion, RCB press coverage.
Blocking: Light chips the RDE inside before standing up the stunting RDT
Mankins sits back in reserve after the RDT stunts
Koppen sits back in reserve
Neal rides the LDT outside
O’Callaghan is driven back and almost beaten inside by the LDE
Coverage: Maroney comes through and turns underneath
Graham does a quick out to the right flat against the zoned SS
Watson does a flag route underneath the LCB in the sky zone
Brown hooks and finds a void between the WLB and SS
Caldwell takes a seam route against the RCB just outside of the FS’s range

Analysis: Great job by the Pats receivers to find the voids in the zone and exploit them. The SS showing blitz meant that the FS was on a midfield island, which also meant the seam would be given to Caldwell as the RCB had to protect the outside. Brady got the pass over the zoned SLB off the left edge, and hit Caldwell’s outstretched hands in-stride. The FS Simpson would converge with the RCB Clements for the tackle, but not in time to disrupt the catch. Watson, Graham, and Brown also stretched the zones of the LCB, SS, and WLB on the opposite side of the field, with all 3 open to some extent as well.

1st and 10 Buf 17

Result: Run, Maroney, right tackle, 4 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, 2 TE, Graham down off RT, Watson down right wing, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both CBs press coverage.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE outside
Mankins pulls right and chips the LDE
Koppen turns the RDT outside but the RDT breaks free and follows the run
Neal and O’Callaghan drive the LDT off the line
Graham stands up the LDE
Watson seals the SLB inside in the second level
Brown blocks the LCB

Analysis: O’Callaghan and Neal bulldozed open a hole for Maroney off the snap, but it was quickly closed when Koppen could maintain a block on the RDT. Maroney was forced to kick the run outside, where Watson, Graham, and Brown all had good blocks but the two unblocked LBs came over and took him down.

2nd and 6 Buf 13

Result: Draw, Maroney, up the middle, -1 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Brown wide left, Caldwell wide right, 2 TE, Graham offline off LT, Watson down online left wing, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Watson is beaten inside by the SLB in the second level
Graham pulls right, up the middle through the hole
Light rides the RDE outside
Mankins turns the RDT outside
Koppen turns the LDT outside
Neal is faked out by the LDE on the edge
O’Callaghan chips the WLB in the second level before going for the MLB

Analysis: The OL did a great job of letting the Bills DL get upfield, albeit outside penetration, opening a wide hole up the middle for the draw. Unfortunately, Watson was in no position off the snap to make the key lead block on the first penetrating LB. It would be the SLB Crowell, who got a tremendous jump off the snap and beat Watson to the spot. Graham pulled up the middle and was supposed to take care of such a LB, but Graham either ignored or missed the free SLB heading straight for Maroney. Graham would instead try to double the MLB with O’Callaghan, who himself broke off the WLB to add another tackler to the party.

3rd and 7 Buf 14

Result: Pass, Graham, Incomplete, 15 yard fly, pass thrown wide.
Offense: Shotgun 4 WR, Faulk motion RB to wide left, Brown left slot, Graham right slot, Caldwell wide right, TE Watson standing left wing.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight on Watson, WLB 5 yards off Graham, SS press on Faulk, both CBs press coverage.
Blocking: Watson stands up the RDE
Light sits back in reserve
Mankins slides inside with the RDT
Koppen and Neal double the LDT
O’Callaghan rides the LDE outside
Coverage: Faulk goes against the SS
Brown gets off the jam from the RCB and goes up the seam
Graham turns the WLB around on an endzone route but the throw sails
Caldwell goes along the sideline against the LCB

Analysis: Lots of communication and positioning from Buffalo before the snap after Faulk went in motion. It took the FS a few seconds to get the WLB outside over Graham in the slot. Graham went up the seam and had ideal positioning inside on the overmatched WLB, but Brady’s pass sailed wide and high, off the fingertips Graham in the endzone. The WLB Ellison, a rookie, had his back to the pass while Graham had his body open to the throw. Brady could have made a better throw, and Graham should have caught it.

4th and 7 Buf 14

Result: Field Goal, Gostkowski, 32 yds.

Score: New England 17 – Buffalo 17

This is the first offensive series of the second half, starting from the NE 7 after the 4th and inches stop by the D.

O8 09:24 6:32 NE 7 12 93 Touchdown

Score: 7:17

m: 1st and 10
r: Run, Dillon, right side, 3 yds.
o: I formation, Evans and Dillon, Brown wide left, 2 TE right, Watson at flanker.
d: 4-3, Schobel (LDE) two steps outside Light, 9 men in the box.
b: Light engaged the LDE keeping him outside; Mankins and Koppen doubled the LDT; Evans met the WLB in the left side running lane; Mankins released off the double and met the MLB filling the lane; Neal sealed the RDT inside when he tried to shoot the ‘a’ gap; O’Callaghan slowed the SLB filling the right side running lane, but couldn’t get a clean hit on him; Graham and Watson doubled the RDE.
a: The Pats opened up running lanes in both ‘b’ gaps with Evans leading through the left lane and Dillon having the option to go either way; Buffalo filled the left lane with two LBs and the LDE/LDT fighting their blockers inward to collapse the edges; O’Callaghan’s missed block allowed the SLB to fill the cutback lane, but he got enough to slow him, allowing Dillon to bounce the play outside the TE double-team where the RCB and FS slowed him before a mass of defenders piled on for the stop.

m: 2nd and 7
r: Pass, Caldwell, right flat, 9 yds.
o: Brown wide left, Caldwell wide right, Graham is flanking Light, Watson is outside Graham down as TE, Dillon at RB - motion, Brown inside by the TE.
d: 4-3, CBs soft, SS a step behind the LBs outside the TE - comes up closer on the WR motion, CBs drop a couple more steps deeper before the snap.
b: Light rides the LDE outside and downfield; Mankins rides the LDT’s stunt outside and downfield; Koppen stands up the RDT; O’Callaghan cuts underneath the RDE heading for the MLB; Neal picks up the RDE as he comes behind O’Callaghan; Watson seals the SLB inside; Brown was lining up on the SS when the pass went the other way.
c: CBs in man.
a: This was a designed run with a QB/WR flare option; Brady and Caldwell read the RCB dropping back and used the option pass; Brady took a one step drop and fired a rope out to Caldwell who just turned inward to front up on the ball; Caldwell then side stepped the charging RCB and was able to drag the WLB across the first down line; Graham was leading the run behind the left side, the blocking had opened a large hole for Dillon and he stood a good chance of getting the first behind Graham’s lead.

r: Pass, Dillon, dump-off underneath, 6 yds.
o: Brown wide left, Watson slot left, Graham TE right, Caldwell wide right, RB Dillon - Caldwell motions inside to slot right.
d: 4-3, D-line spread with DEs out wide beyond TE, LLB out over slot, MLB shifted left, RLB over C, SS creeping up into the box, LCB dropping back, RCB trailing motion.
b: Graham stayed in to help O’Callaghan and rides Kearney (RDE) deep and outside; Neal rode the RDT outside; Mankins and Koppen doubled up to check the LDT, then Mankins released to trail Light’s block; Light rode the LDE behind Brady and leveraged him to the ground as he tried to turn the corner.
c: CBs in man, LBs dropped into a shallow zone, the SS bit on play action then turned and headed deep.
a: Watson, Caldwell, and Brown were covered upfield, so Brady looked underneath to a wide open Dillon; Graham had released his block and was open in the right flat - if Brady had seen him there might have been another Atlanta-like power rumble.

m: 2nd and 4
r: Run, Maroney, right side, loss of 5 yds.
o: Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, Graham flanking O’Callaghan, Watson TE outside Graham, RB Maroney.
d: 4-3, DL spread with DE outside TE, SLB online over the TE, SS at LB over the flanker, CBs in press coverage.
b: Watson was beaten outside by the RDE; Graham ran the SLB outside (could have been called for holding after the LB grabbed him and threw in down, Graham still had a grip on the front of his jersey and yanked the LB right back around one handed; O’Callaghan missed his block on the SS, who slipped and fell ducking under the block; Neal rode the RDT laterally right; Koppen pulled and was unable to get past Neal and the RDT as they moved so he doubled up; Mankins hand fought the LDT as he penetrated and came right, then cut him; Light came up and blocked the WLB.
a: Simms doing the color commentary reported the play developed slowly, but looking at it a couple times, it would have to have been a quick hitter up the middle to prevent the RDE from beating Watson and making the tackle; Watson had his pants pulled down and bottom paddled on that play.

m: 3rd and 9
r: Pass, Watson, seam route, 43 yds.
o: Shotgun, Faulk left side; Caldwell wide left, Brown slot right, Childress wide right; Watson inside right.
d: 4-2 nickel, DL spread, RDE outside Watson, CBs press coverage, safeties deep cover.
b: Koppen and Neal doubled the RDT; Mankins had a little trouble with the shifty LDT, but kept Brady clean; Light rode the LDE outside; O’Callaghan rode the RDE deep past Brady.
c: Faulk was picked up in the left flat by LLB; CBs in man, MLB in a shallow center zone, SS picked up Watson up the middle.
a: Good pocket gave Brady time for a deep drop and allowed the deep routes to develop; the wideouts went down the sideline pulling the FS outside to help with Caldwell; Childress came underneath behind Watson’s seam route checking the MLB for a heartbeat; Watson was in the zone seam between rookie SS Whitner and MLB Fletcher-Baker heading down the wide open middle of the field.

r:Run, Dillon, middle, 8 yds.
o: Caldwell wide left, Brown slot right, Childress wide right, Graham TE right, RB Dillon.
d: 4-2 nickel, CBs soft, SS up at WLB.
b: Light went upfield and kept the SS occupied; Mankins sparred with the LDT, then tried to cut him; Neal rode the RDT right; O’Callaghan picked up the RDE off Graham’s chip and rode him right; Graham chipped the RDE and rode the RLB right; Koppen went upfield and rode the LLB right; Brown squared up on the nickelback, which allowed him to break off the block as Dillon came by.
a: Everybody was flowing right, Mankins cut block didn’t bring his man down, but it gave Dillon a cutback hole behind the flow to head straight upfield; Brown had the nickelback squared up, presumably he didn’t know where the flow was going and was just trying to occupy him; The nickelback was able to release off the block and jump on Dillon firing up the middle; The nickelback was draped over Dillon’s right shoulder when he lowered it and used the nickelback’s body to ram into the FS; The two held onto him until the LDE caught up from behind and finished off the run; The nickelback was removed from the game to check his left arm pinched in the collision.

m: 2nd and 2
r: Run, Dillon, off right tackle, 5 yds.
o: Caldwell wide right, Graham TE right, Brown slot left, Childress wide left, RB Dillon.
d: 4-2 nickel, CBs soft.
b: Light checked the LDE outside; Koppen took inside position on the LDT; Neal and O’Callaghan doubled the RDT driving him left; Graham drove the RDE left; Mankins pulled, tripped over Graham turning the corner, but was able to fall into the RLB leaving Dillon a lane behind him.
a: Good blocking at the point of attack left MLB London Fletcher-Baker standing flat footed at the first down line waiting for Dillon’s charge; Dillon plowed him backwards with a helping hand from Neal until he tripped and dragged Dillon down with him; After the play you see an official grab CB Nate Clements and keep him from going after Caldwell - one can guess who lost the blocking skirmish.

To be continued...

Serie O8 continued...

r: Pass, Brown, right flat, 9 yds.
o: Caldwell wide left, Watson TE left, Brown wide right, Graham upright flanker right - motion to flanker left, RB Maroney.
d: 4-3, SLB online outside Watson, SS in the box about 5 yds behind the SLB, CBs soft.
b: Watson went outside with the SLB; Light tried to cut the MLB and plowed soil with his facemask; Mankins turned the LDE inside into Neal’s block; Neal turned the LDT left into Mankins’ block; Koppen went upfield for the WLB; O’Callaghan cut the RDT; Graham was headed upfield for the SS.
a: This looked like a stretch play left, but Brady and Brown decided to pick on the reserve CB coving for the starter banged up by Dillon’s run and went with the option pass to the right flat; Brady took a one step drop and fired to Brown through the nice throwing lane created by O’Callaghan’s cut block; The reserve CB recognized the play right away, but was deep enough for Brown to make the catch, square-up, and sidestep his tackle.

m: 2nd and 1
r: Run, Maroney, stretch left, 6 yds.
o: Caldwell wide left, Watson TE left, Graham TE right, Brown wide right - motion Graham to upright flanker right to flanker left.
d: 4-3, FS came up tapped the WLB who went down to the line showing blitz leaving the S in his spot for 8 in the box - the SLB moved wider off Graham’s motion to be outside him about 4 yds off the LOS.
b: Light got the LDE turned around battling left; Watson went upfield; Mankins went upfield; Koppen battled the LDT left; Neal battled the RDT left, then released to block upfield; O’Callaghan picked up the WLB’s run blitz and rode him left; Graham went upfield and drove the SLB left; Caldwell got a piece of the LCB but slipped down.
a: This was the same play called on Brown’s 9 yd pickup before; Good blocking allowed Maroney to get the corner; he was brought down by the LCB who fought off Caldwell’s block and the pursuing WLB who got the pursuit angle off O’Callaghan’s block.

r: Run, Maroney, middle, 1 yd.
o: Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, Graham TE right, Watson flanker right, RB Maroney.
d: 4-3, CBs soft.
b: The LDE beat Light outside but couldn’t catch up to the play; O’Callaghan was thrown off by the RDT; Koppen blocked the LDT left; Neal took out the LLB; Graham stood up the RDE, but was unable to steer him; Watson had better luck with the RLB; Mankins pulled and got a hit on the MLB, but not until the play had blown up.
a: The RDE did a good job of holding his line against Graham while sliding laterally left where he was able to shed the block as Maroney came by; The LDT spun around Koppen and got a piece of the action; The RDT threw off O’Callaghan and also got into the pile.

m: 2nd and 9
r: Pass, Graham, incomplete.
o: Watson wide right, Caldwell slot right, Brown wide left, Graham TE left, RB Maroney - motion Watson to inside slot right.
d: 4-3, CBs soft.
b: Koppen and Neal double RDT; Light rides the LDE outside and downfield; Mankins rides the LDT outside and downfield; O’Callaghan stuck with the RDE who faked downfield then tried to cut back underneath; Maroney chipped the RDE on his way underneath.
c: Zone.
a: Good pocket, Brady was able to step up twice; Brady bounced the ball three yards in front of Graham who ran a button hook just in front of the goal line underneath the zone.

m: 3rd and 9
r: Pass, Faulk, sideline go, TD
o: Shotgun, Faulk right side; Caldwell wide left, Brown slot left, Watson upright flanker right, Graham slot right - motion Faulk to wide right.
d: 4-2 nickel, RLB came out to cover Faulk off the motion, leaving the DBs for Graham and Watson.
b: Light rode the LDE outside; Neal stuck with the RDT stunting behind the RDE; O’Callaghan stuck with the RDE stunting inside and ran him into Koppen; Mankins stuck with the LDT slanting inside and ran him into Koppen/O’Callaghan/RDE.
c: Man.
a: Great protection; Watson drew a double team underneath with his DB and the MLB; The FS was shading the left side of the field where Caldwell and Brown where working; This left Graham and Faulk one-on-one against a DB and a LB respectively; Both were open, Brady picked the harder throw to Faulk - his third down binkie.

m: Extra Point
r: Gostkowski, converted.

Score: 14:17

Defensive Series #8 Safety

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 9:33 remaining in the fourth quarter
Statistics: 3 plays (1 run, 2 pass), -9 yards (-1 run, -8 pass), time of possession was 1:00
Breakdown: 3 green plays (1 run, 2 pass) for -9 yds. (-1 run, -8 pass).

Kickoff: McGee from the Buf -3, 20 yd return, McGee is forced inside by Andrews before Alexander sheds and tackles – Izzo was pushed down from behind on the other side of McGee.
PENALTY on BUF, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 8 yards, enforced at BUF 17.

1st and 10 Buf 9

Result: Pass, Evans, Incomplete, play action, 10 yard comeback pattern, pass thrown wide under pressure.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 right, TE motion right to left wing, I-form backfield with McGahee at RB.
Defense: 3-4, Colvin showing blitz right wing, Samuel 5 yards off RWR, Hobbs press on LWR.
Blocking: Seymour keeps his footing against a duck block from the RB, then pressures Losman
Wilfork is doubled by the LG and C
Warren can’t get past the RG
Colvin blitzes and rides the RT outside, eventually beating the RT and hitting Losman after the pass
Coverage: Banta-Cain shadows the FB into the left flat
Vrabel picks up the TE in the seam
Seau bites slightly on the play action before dropping into a spy/zone
Hobbs jams the LWR Evans outside
Samuel backs off the RWR cutting across the middle

Analysis: Losman held the ball for way too long looking for an open man, giving Colvin and Seymour enough time to work past the blitz protection and pressure Losman into a poor throw. A second later, and this would have been a safety. Hobbs stuck right with Evans, but the throw flew somewhere between Evans and Shelton. Seymour jumping up in the throwing lane from a McGahee jump block was also probably a factor in Losman holding onto the ball.

2nd and 10 Buf 9

Result: Run, McGahee, right guard, -1 yd.
Offense: 3 WR, 2 left, 1 right, TE down off LT, McGahee lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Seymour-Wilfork-Warren line, Vrabel/Seau ILBs, NB Hawkins and Hobbs press, Samuel 5 yards off RWR.
Blocking: Colvin beats the LT outside but is behind the play
Seymour is stood up by the LG
Wilfork holds his ground against the RG before scrapping off and getting a piece of McGahee
Warren rides the RT outside
Vrabel sheds the TE on the backside
Seau fakes out the C and helps Wilfork stuff McGahee
Samuel is blocked by the RWR

Analysis: Wilfork executed his 2-gap responsibility perfectly, breaking off the RG right when McGahee committed to the hole. McGahee had to take a lateral step in the backfield to avoid Wilfork, allowing Seau to fake out the C and take down McGahee before he got past the line.

3rd and 11 Buf 8

Result: Sack, Losman by Wilfork, -8 yds., SAFETY.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 right, TE down off LT, FB offset weak side, McGahee lone RB.
Defense: 3-4, all 4 LBs showing blitz, both CBs press coverage.
Blocking: Banta-Cain beats the LT outside and forces a Losman scramble
Seymour is stood up by the LG
Wilfork bull rushes the C back to help pressure Losman
Warren beats the RG after a fake inside before sacking a scrambling Losman
Colvin rides the RT behind Losman
Coverage: Seau follows the TE up the seam
Vrabel drops into a zone behind the short RB/FB underneath routes
Samuel gets a jam on the LWR going inside
Hobbs can’t get a jam on the RWR going inside and deep

Analysis: As soon as the Pats brought the blitz, both WR routes were out of the question, either because of jams or deep patterns. The Bills brought both RBs through the line and into underneath routes instead of keeping them in blitz protection. Losman was under pressure before either of those routes could develop, and Vrabel had them both covered from behind, meaning both would probably not produce first downs. Losman first felt the pressure from Banta-Cain, who he was able to elude, but he only ran a short way out of the pocket before Warren slammed him down from behind for the safety.

Score: New England 19 – Buffalo 17

Last edited:
Offensive Series #10 Interception

Time: 8:33 remaining in the fourth quarter
Statistics: 1 play (0 run, 1 pass), 0 yards (0 run, 0 pass), time of possession was 0:19
Breakdown: 1 red play (0 run, 1 pass) for 0 yds.

Safety Punt: Faulk from the NE 11, 23 yd. return, Faulk is taken down by a defender Brown couldn’t corral.

1st and 10 NE 34

Result: Pass, Watson, play action, 20 yard flag, pass underthrown and INTERCEPTED by Buf – Whitner at the Buf 44, 10 yd. return.
PENALTY on BUF-N.Clements, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at NE 46.
Offense: 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Watson motion wide to slot left, Brown wide right, TE Graham down off RT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Graham, RCB press on Caldwell, SS and RCB 5 yards off.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE outside and behind Brady – too close for comfort
Mankins and Koppen double the RDT, riding him outside left
Neal stands up the LDT before they both fall off-balance to the ground
O’Callaghan rides the LDE outside
Graham chips the LDE before releasing into the flat against the SLB
Coverage: Dillon takes the play action before jostling with the MLB underneath
Caldwell stutters in front of the RCB before fighting off the jam and taking a short hook
Watson runs a flag pattern inside of the SS, who breaks in front on the cut
Brown takes a deep square-in against the LCB

Analysis: Brady’s throwing motion appeared to be slightly off-balance, but there was no significant pressure to force it. He should have thrown the pass right on Watson’s cut and lofted it above to open space, but instead he perhaps waited too long and underthrew it, allowing Whitner to step in front and intercept it. Strangely, the play would be whistled dead shortly after the penalty flag was thrown. It’s an incidental matter as the play was coming back anyway, but at no point in his return to the endzone did Whitner step out of bounds.

Last edited:
Defensive Series #9 Punt

Time: 8:14 remaining in the fourth quarter
Statistics: 4 plays (1 run, 3 pass), 2 yards (-2 run, 14 pass, -10 penalty), time of possession was 1:59
Breakdown: 3 green plays (1 run, 2 pass) for 2 yds. (-2 run, 4 pass)., 1 red play (0 run, 1 pass) for 10 yds, 10 penalty yards gained for the Patriots.

1st and 10 Buf 44

Result: Run, McGahee, left guard, -2 yds.
Offense: 2 WR left, TE down off RT, FB offset weak side, McGahee RB.
Defense: 3-4, Colvin showing blitz right wing, Banta-Cain over slot WR, Samuel floating off right edge, Hobbs press coverage.
Blocking: Seymour slides laterally with the LT outside
Wilfork eventually tumbles backwards after being stood up by the RG
Warren sheds the RT on his second try on the backside
Banta-Cain drives the FB back to set the edge
Vrabel pancakes the LG before taking down McGahee
Seau avoids the C initially but slips on his out quick
Colvin is kept on the backside by the TE

Analysis: Banta-Cain and Seymour set a great edge on the left side to force McGahee to cut back inside. A 261 lb. Vrabel completely bulldozed through a 310 lb. Reyes upon engagement, giving McGahee no place to hide from a Vrabel on a mission.

2nd and 12 Buf 42

Result: Draw, McGahee, left tackle, 10 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 tight right, TE motion left to right wing, 2 RB split backfield.
Defense: 3-4, both OLBs showing blitz, Hobbs press on LWR, Samuel 5 yards off RWR.
Blocking: Seymour rides the LT outside and is trapped from the draw by the LG
Wilfork is doubled by the C and RG before diving off but missing at McGahee
Warren is stood up by the RT
Banta-Cain blitzes around the edge and is behind the play
Vrabel meets the FB leading the draw, breaks off the block, and trips up McGahee
Seau follows the play and slams down McGahee after the Vrabel trip-up
Colvin beats the TE outside on a blitz but is behind the play
Hobbs jams the LWR coming up inside but is subsequently blocked away from the run
Wilson waits for the run to come and gets his legs taken out by Seau/McGahee on the tackle

Analysis: An unorthodox formation from the Bills also brought a long delayed draw to the RRB, who was lead through a massive hole by the FB. OLB blitzes left the middle vulnerable for attack, as Vrabel was the lone LB in the area, and was blocked by the FB. Seau came in as the only unblocked LB and made the play. Wilson stood in a rather dangerous position right in front of the run and got his legs rolled up on by Seau making the tackle. He was clutching his left shin after the play, but it could have been much worse.

3rd and 2 NE 48

Result: Pass, Price, short crossing pattern, 10 yds.
PENALTY on BUF-R.Royal, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at NE 38.
Offense: 3 WR, 1 left, 2 bunch right slot, TE down off LT, McGahee lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both OLBs showing blitz, Wilson 5 yards off LWR, Hobbs press and Samuel 5 yards off RWR bunch.
Blocking: Banta-Cain blitzes and rides the LT outside
Seymour bull rushes the LG back almost into Losman
Wilfork is stood up by the C
Warren bull rushes the RG back
Colvin blitzes and bull rushes the RT back almost into Losman
Coverage: Vrabel jams the TE on his short out route
Seau comes up and gives the gives the crossing WR a push before turning back downfield
Wilson gives the LWR a cushion on a deep route
Samuel was playing off the crossing WR, and misses on a sprinting tackle attempt after the catch
Hobbs jams the RWR for a good 4 yards

Analysis: Losman had to work out of a very constricted pocket because of some good bull rushes. Seau got a lick on Price coming across the middle, but not enough to disrupt the route. After the catch, Samuel would come sprinting over and miss on a tackle attempt as Price turned the corner downfield. After some spinning around, Vrabel would end up on the Price side of his blocker, Royal, who quite blatantly shoved Vrabel down from behind towards Price, who had to go out of bounds anyway.

3rd and 2 NE 48

Result: Sack, Losman by Seymour, -6 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 right, 2 TE, 1 down off RT, 1 down right wing, McGahee lone RB.
Defense: 3-4, OLBs showing blitz, Seau comes up showing blitz, Harrison showing blitz right wing, both CBs press coverage.
Blocking: Banta-Cain fakes the LT inside to spin the LT around, but the LT recovers on Banta-Cain outside just as Losman is sacked
Seymour bull rushes the LG before a second before shedding him and sacking Losman pressured by Banta-Cain
Wilfork is doubled by the C and RG
Warren is doubled by the RT and TE
Colvin meets the RB and violently tries to break free in vain
Coverage: Seau and Vrabel sit in short zones/spies
Hobbs is turned around on a deep route by the LWR
Samuel angles the RWR to the sideline on a deep route
Harrison picks up the other TE coming up the seam

Analysis: The Bills had some problems with the shotgun snap and fumbles earlier in the game, so it appeared they were apprehensive to go with it in this critical 3rd down situation. Instead, Losman set up under center with a rather strange stance. He was set back and lower to the ground, and his left leg was bent and also set back to give him a better jump off the snap and thus more time against the pass rush (the advantage of the shotgun). This time, that left leg gave out slightly and he almost tumbled onto his rear end before recovering and finishing his dropback. After sensing pressure to his immediate left from Banta-Cain, he tried to step up, but it was right into the awaiting grasp of Seymour for the sack.

4th and 8 Buf 46

Result: Punt, Moorman, to the NE 25, kick out of bounds, 29 yd. punt, 0 yd. return.

Note: There was no footage of it, but Jim Nantz said that Vrabel “decked” Moorman after the punt, and the two exchanged some words before a referee broke it up.

Last edited:
A 261 lb. Vrabel completely bulldozed through a 310 lb. Reyes upon engagement, giving McGahee no place to hide from a Vrabel on a mission.

That was amazing. Vrabel just exploded a much bigger man. The guy was pretty low, but Vrabel got his pads under him, drove upward and just blew the guy up. And then just drove forward to make the tackle. Vrabel was fired up too, yapping at the guard after the play ... great LB play on that one.

PlattsFan said:
That was amazing. Vrabel just exploded a much bigger man. The guy was pretty low, but Vrabel got his pads under him, drove upward and just blew the guy up. And then just drove forward to make the tackle. Vrabel was fired up too, yapping at the guard after the play ... great LB play on that one.
That's part of why I want to keep Vrabel inside, another year playing alongside Tedy will refine his instincts and develop his read & react skills for the interior, with his football smarts, speed, size, and strength, the Pats will have a very formidable ILB duo. Assuming Colvin and TBC are re-signed, this LB 4-some will once again have the league in tears. Plus, for the almost as good as the supermodels in my bedroom fantasy, stealing Briggs from Chicago and developing Pierre Woods into the next OLB stud...mmmmm, sack attack rotation!

thanks for the good work guys - very informative!
just a quick 'thank you' from Denmark and though I would pass on this snippet on from the Bills official website (sorry if this has been already posted):

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4124
"Painful fact of the week: The play of the game was turned in by New England defensive end Ty Warren who sacked J.P. Losman for a safety for the game-winning points in the 19-17 win. Warren was New England's first-round pick in 2003 taken 13th overall. The painful fact is that was the pick Buffalo traded to New England in the trade for Drew Bledsoe."

pats1 said:
Defensive Series #9 Punt

Time: 8:14 remaining in the fourth quarter
Statistics: 4 plays (1 run, 3 pass), 2 yards (-2 run, 14 pass, -10 penalty), time of possession was 1:59
Breakdown: 3 green plays (1 run, 2 pass) for 2 yds. (-2 run, 4 pass)., 1 red play (0 run, 1 pass) for 10 yds, 10 penalty yards gained for the Patriots.

1st and 10 Buf 44

Result: Run, McGahee, left guard, -2 yds.
Offense: 2 WR left, TE down off RT, FB offset weak side, McGahee RB.
Defense: 3-4, Colvin showing blitz right wing, Banta-Cain over slot WR, Samuel floating off right edge, Hobbs press coverage.
Blocking: Seymour slides laterally with the LT outside
Wilfork eventually tumbles backwards after being stood up by the RG
Warren sheds the RT on his second try on the backside
Banta-Cain drives the FB back to set the edge
Vrabel pancakes the LG before taking down McGahee
Seau avoids the C initially but slips on his out quick
Colvin is kept on the backside by the TE

Analysis: Banta-Cain and Seymour set a great edge on the left side to force McGahee to cut back inside. A 261 lb. Vrabel completely bulldozed through a 310 lb. Reyes upon engagement, giving McGahee no place to hide from a Vrabel on a mission.

2nd and 12 Buf 42

Result: Draw, McGahee, left tackle, 10 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 tight right, TE motion left to right wing, 2 RB split backfield.
Defense: 3-4, both OLBs showing blitz, Hobbs press on LWR, Samuel 5 yards off RWR.
Blocking: Seymour rides the LT outside and is trapped from the draw by the LG
Wilfork is doubled by the C and RG before diving off but missing at McGahee
Warren is stood up by the RT
Banta-Cain blitzes around the edge and is behind the play
Vrabel meets the FB leading the draw, breaks off the block, and trips up McGahee
Seau follows the play and slams down McGahee after the Vrabel trip-up
Colvin beats the TE outside on a blitz but is behind the play
Hobbs jams the LWR coming up inside but is subsequently blocked away from the run
Wilson waits for the run to come and gets his legs taken out by Seau/McGahee on the tackle

Analysis: An unorthodox formation from the Bills also brought a long delayed draw to the RRB, who was lead through a massive hole by the FB. OLB blitzes left the middle vulnerable for attack, as Vrabel was the lone LB in the area, and was blocked by the FB. Seau came in as the only unblocked LB and made the play. Wilson stood in a rather dangerous position right in front of the run and got his legs rolled up on by Seau making the tackle. He was clutching his left shin after the play, but it could have been much worse.

3rd and 2 NE 48

Result: Pass, Price, short crossing pattern, 10 yds.
PENALTY on BUF-R.Royal, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at NE 38.
Offense: 3 WR, 1 left, 2 bunch right slot, TE down off LT, McGahee lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both OLBs showing blitz, Wilson 5 yards off LWR, Hobbs press and Samuel 5 yards off RWR bunch.
Blocking: Banta-Cain blitzes and rides the LT outside
Seymour bull rushes the LG back almost into Losman
Wilfork is stood up by the C
Warren bull rushes the RG back
Colvin blitzes and bull rushes the RT back almost into Losman
Coverage: Vrabel jams the TE on his short out route
Seau comes up and gives the gives the crossing WR a push before turning back downfield
Wilson gives the LWR a cushion on a deep route
Samuel was playing off the crossing WR, and misses on a sprinting tackle attempt after the catch
Hobbs jams the RWR for a good 4 yards

Analysis: Losman had to work out of a very constricted pocket because of some good bull rushes. Seau got a lick on Price coming across the middle, but not enough to disrupt the route. After the catch, Samuel would come sprinting over and miss on a tackle attempt as Price turned the corner downfield. After some spinning around, Vrabel would end up on the Price side of his blocker, Royal, who quite blatantly shoved Vrabel down from behind towards Price, who had to go out of bounds anyway.

3rd and 2 NE 48

Result: Sack, Losman by Seymour, -6 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 right, 2 TE, 1 down off RT, 1 down right wing, McGahee lone RB.
Defense: 3-4, OLBs showing blitz, Seau comes up showing blitz, Harrison showing blitz right wing, both CBs press coverage.
Blocking: Banta-Cain fakes the LT inside to spin the LT around, but the LT recovers on Banta-Cain outside just as Losman is sacked
Seymour bull rushes the LG before a second before shedding him and sacking Losman pressured by Banta-Cain
Wilfork is doubled by the C and RG
Warren is doubled by the RT and TE
Colvin meets the RB and violently tries to break free in vain
Coverage: Seau and Vrabel sit in short zones/spies
Hobbs is turned around on a deep route by the LWR
Samuel angles the RWR to the sideline on a deep route
Harrison picks up the other TE coming up the seam

Analysis: The Bills had some problems with the shotgun snap and fumbles earlier in the game, so it appeared they were apprehensive to go with it in this critical 3rd down situation. Instead, Losman set up under center with a rather strange stance. He was set back and lower to the ground, and his left leg was bent and also set back to give him a better jump off the snap and thus more time against the pass rush (the advantage of the shotgun). This time, that left leg gave out slightly and he almost tumbled onto his rear end before recovering and finishing his dropback. After sensing pressure to his immediate left from Banta-Cain, he tried to step up, but it was right into the awaiting grasp of Seymour for the sack.

4th and 8 Buf 46

Result: Punt, Moorman, to the NE 25, kick out of bounds, 29 yd. punt, 0 yd. return.

Note: There was no footage of it, but Jim Nantz said that Vrabel “decked†Moorman after the punt, and the two exchanged some words before a referee broke it up.

3rd and 2, from midfield - and the (dumb)Bills pass, twice. Ridiculous. They should have run McGahee, or play action. Instead, the game is in the hands of the QB who, in the previous series, allowed himself to be sacked in the endzone. Just stupid situational football.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Thank you BF80.

Seymour struggled on this series, which partially validates the impression I took away from the game, we'll have to see how he does as we breakdown more tape. I think this was the only series where Lee Evans caught a pass, Hobbs coverage with a good pass rush effectively shut down the Bills #1 man. Seau seems to have an 'el toro' approach to the job, he fires in for a head-to-head with the G and usually bounces backwards. Bruschi and Vrabel tend to engage in a leverage contest trying to stand up the G while they read the play, though Tedy is remarkable for his ability to feint an engagement and slide by the G. Ty Warren once again gets my vote for 'man I least want to run at'. Colvin looked a lot better here than he did in preseason when he set the edge.

I feel validated that Hobbs is playing well. I loved his physicality last year and could forgive the odd rookie mistake. Ty seems to do his job to perfection. He stays there, holds up the OL, maintains excellent discipline and is a real brick wall to run at. He doesn't get the kudos he deserves, IMO.

Oh, and you provided great analysis as always, Box. It gives me stuff to go and look at on the DVD of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft