PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi: Can't question Brady's work ethic

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bricks: That's not what I said. Brady was one of the most, if not THE most, diligent at his craft when he was younger. That's not the case now, though he is still pretty damn good at what he does. What I'm saying is that I can't blame him for making his family the number one focus in his life and football second. Anybody expecting him to do the reverse is an idiot.

As for what you said, my reponse is simply that there is still plenty of time to watch film and workout.

I'd argue he's still one of the most diligent, he just has a little less time to budget to his craft early in the offseason :p. What you are saying Kontra should be very obvious and understandable to anyone, but some people never cease to amaze me.

I think the bolded is the key aspect the intentionally ignorant refuses to accept. The time he is now budgetting to family will have negligible impact on his performance and the team's performance on the field.

The Pats' veterans have always been cut slack, as long as Belichick has been here. This is because he understands that a) they have families to attend to, b) they already know most of what they need to know, and c) they know what they have to do to get prepared for the season. The only thing that's changed is that Brady's become one of these veterans, and he's earned the right to do whatever he wants without random fans questioning him. The funniest part, though, is how his work ethic gets questioned by people on message boards who are posting about football rather than actually doing their jobs.

1.) Posting on a message board takes seconds, so finding that "funny" makes no sense.

2.) Brady became Brady by outworking everyone else. It's certainly valid to wonder if he's still that same person when you see him jetting off around the world, skipping workouts and the like.

3.) Brady (via King) brought this on himself when he decided to talk about commitment to the team while he's skipping workouts and hanging out on the west coast.

As I've said repeatedly, I have no problem with Brady spending the time with his family instead of attending voluntary activities. The hypocrisy of many of the people defending Brady on this is ridiculous, though (and I'm not referring to you).

Last edited:
People questioned his work ethic when he got married to Gisele. They questioned it when he was dating Bridgette.

We have some of the most cynical fans that I have ever seen. And the worst ones are the ones who turn around and call people homers for sticking up for the team.

They never question his work ethic when he was hooking up with Tara Reid. Instead, it was his judgement. :p Shes nuts.

Last edited:
So you're naive enough to think that Brady, newly married, now having two sons including a newborn, already having won 3 SBs, is still putting the same amount of time into football as he was when he was an undrafted FA proving to everyone he belonged?

I think Brady mentioned that family and football were the most important thing to him. It's easy to conclude, with his family evolving into what it is now, that he devotes more time into that aspect of his life.

EDIT: So just to make it clear, it doesn't mean I think we should get rid of the guy. I still want him to be our QB, but it's silly for us to believe that he still puts the same amount of time into football preparation as he did while he was single.

Do you really think Brady needs to put the same amount of time in as he did when he was a scrawny kid with no arm strength and not a lot of NFL experience? If Brady needs to do as much offseason work this offseason as he did in 2002, I would be worried because that means there is a problem.

As for Brady saying his family being the most important thing to him, my response is - DAH! Seriously, what father with a soul wouldn't say his family is the most important thing to him? I know plenty of people who put in 14 hour days during the week who say their families are the most important things to them. Just because his family is his top priority (as well as it should be) doesn't mean he is shirking his football duties and responsibilities. It just means he has more family responsibilities.

Why do people not understand this. Do they expect so much from Brady that he should sacrifice his family for their entertainment? Do they not realize that like most people with kids that they can still be just as dedicated to their job with a family as without, but their lives outside of work change most? Would people have been happier if Brady took a vow of celebicy and gave his life to the New England Patriots?

The Pats' veterans have always been cut slack, as long as Belichick has been here. This is because he understands that a) they have families to attend to, b) they already know most of what they need to know, and c) they know what they have to do to get prepared for the season. The only thing that's changed is that Brady's become one of these veterans, and he's earned the right to do whatever he wants without random fans questioning him. The funniest part, though, is how his work ethic gets questioned by people on message boards who are posting about football rather than actually doing their jobs.

LOL. Good one. "But I'm doing research..."

The way I look at it is basically what you point out in (c).

Besides, if you're Brady, wouldn't you rather spend time with

Gisele.Bundchen.VS.05.jpg

than

31patriots.pop.jpg

LOL. Good one. "But I'm doing research..."

The way I look at it is basically what you point out in (c).

Besides, if you're Brady, wouldn't you rather spend time with

Gisele.Bundchen.VS.05.jpg

than

31patriots.pop.jpg

Good point. Further proof that despite the infamous 'lamb' picture, Brady's decision indicates he's really not that way.

P.S. Got any 'locker room' pics of Mankins & Light you can post?

Last edited:
hey...no wonder this O line can't block like it used to...these guys are stoners!!!!

31patriots.pop.jpg

1.) Posting on a message board takes seconds, so finding that "funny" makes no sense.

2.) Brady became Brady by outworking everyone else. It's certainly valid to wonder if he's still that same person when you see him jetting off around the world, skipping workouts and the like.

3.) Brady (via King) brought this on himself when he decided to talk about commitment to the team while he's skipping workouts and hanging out on the west coast.

As I've said repeatedly, I have no problem with Brady spending the time with his family instead of attending voluntary activities. The hypocrisy of many of the people defending Brady on this is ridiculous, though (and I'm not referring to you).

You mention twice that Brady is "skipping workouts." Aren't the voluntary sessions largely focused on conditioning and (maybe) some film work? I assume that Brady is nmore than capable of doing this sort of training on his own. And I agree with you - I don't have a problem with the seasoned players spending time with their families - provided, of course, that they should up in condition.

Brady also said this to Peter King:

"Things actually are much more simple than they've ever been. I used to spend every weekend running around with friends. Now I've got two great kids, and I love spending time with them. [Benjamin] is usually up at 6 in the morning, so that's when the day starts now."​

The general tenor of some of these comments (clearly not yours) is that Brady's family considerations are somehow detrimental to his football career. I can think of a number of players (a certain QB from the AFC North comes to mind) that might benefit from a stable, family oriented existience.

You mention twice that Brady is "skipping workouts." Aren't the voluntary sessions largely focused on conditioning and (maybe) some film work? I assume that Brady is nmore than capable of doing this sort of training on his own. And I agree with you - I don't have a problem with the seasoned players spending time with their families - provided, of course, that they should up in condition.

What Brady is capable of is irrelevant when he's talking about commitment regarding players on the team. If he's going to preach commitment, he needs to show that he's just as committed as he used to be by putting in the same amount of work at the facility. Since he's not doing that, he should have left the speech for someone else to make, because he's coming off as hypocritical.

"Things actually are much more simple than they've ever been. I used to spend every weekend running around with friends. Now I've got two great kids, and I love spending time with them. [Benjamin] is usually up at 6 in the morning, so that's when the day starts now."​

The general tenor of some of these comments (clearly not yours) is that Brady's family considerations are somehow detrimental to his football career. I can think of a number of players (a certain QB from the AFC North comes to mind) that might benefit from a stable, family oriented existience.

I've no doubt that Brady would be putting in a lot more time on football if he was in New England 24/7 and at the facility more often. I've no doubt that putting in such extra work would enable Brady to spend more time with the new players. This would benefit the team.

While people bashing Brady for this are going too far, I don't think it's unfair to point out that his absence certainly doesn't help the team improve over last season.

What Brady is capable of is irrelevant when he's talking about commitment regarding players on the team. If he's going to preach commitment, he needs to show that he's just as committed as he used to be by putting in the same amount of work at the facility. Since he's not doing that, he should have left the speech for someone else to make, because he's coming off as hypocritical.

Gosh sakes I'm tired of this idiocy you throw around. That's like saying BB can't coach these guys or tell them how they should play unless he throws on pads and a helmet and does it himself.

I've no doubt that Brady would be putting in a lot more time on football if he was in New England 24/7 and at the facility more often. I've no doubt that putting in such extra work would enable Brady to spend more time with the new players. This would benefit the team.

While people bashing Brady for this are going too far, I don't think it's unfair to point out that his absence certainly doesn't help the team improve over last season.

In short you have no idea what you are talking about, don't really have a strong opinion, but just want to argue. Anyone of you clowns who think this is a valid argument, care to throw up a bet about Brady's 2010 performance? Since it's detrimental to him and the team, he'll perform worse right, so let's bet on it.

Last season Brady went to a team meeting at 6 am, in a snowstorm, less than 8 hours after his son was born. People questioning his drive are greatly exaggerating, that is a fact. The time he has to spend with his family is in the offseason during voluntary workouts, so that's what he does. I just don't see how this is detrimental to the team in anyway.

Brett Favre can skip training camp and go right into the season while not showing many signs of rust in 2009. And he is known for a worse than adequate work ethic. I just don't see what the huge deal is that Brady isn't in Foxborough every day for voluntary WORKOUTS. Not even minicamp, workouts. Last season what hampered his game were the lack of receivers, the recovery from injury and the numerous injuries he suffered late in the season, including a broken finger and allegedly broken ribs.

Tom figured out after 2002 that he needed to have a stable relationship. He spoke afterwards on how important that was to his ability to focus on his career. That was when he met Bridget. They still traveled and partied in the off season, and back then he spent time with his parents out in CA and on golfing trips to Europe with his dad, traveled to Israel with the boss and to Rome on his own, but he still managed to balance rest and relaxation with getting his work in. I'm not sure he ever won the parking place beyond 2003. I think Kaczur won one last year for what that's worth. None of the other veteran leaders on this team then or since has ever won it as far as I recall. Some like Vrabel didn't ever attend. Others like Seymour and Samuel seldom attended. Guys like Bruschi who lived here year round never won a spot. Guys who maintained family year round homes out of state like Troy and Rodney and Ty Warren commuted in weekly for a portion of the program.

Tom has already been in for two weeks. He's in this week, and will likely be in a couple of more weeks including the one preceeding or following the Best Buddies activities. The off season conditioning program runs for 12 weeks, 3-4 days a week. He will have attended roughly half of the sessions. Which is probably about what he's attended for the last 6 offseasons. Except of course for 2008 when Belichick specifically told him not to and 2009 when he was rehabbing. He will be here for passing camp and OTA's and of course for the mandatory mini camp which were events his participation was limited in last season. Ty Warren will even be here for that. Then they all take off for a month before TC commences. Including the coaches.

The guys who need to be in the most this time of this season are the veteran guys who failed to step up on a leaderless defense last season. Wilfork, Warren, Mayo, Meriweather. And the guys hoping to nail down a roster spot as veteran FA's (although apparently Crumpler had important work to do off site prior to last week). And the second year players who didn't get a full off season in last season because they were rookies. The rookies can't even get back into the facility until next week.

Brady is not missing all of the offseason workouts. He is there now and was also there earlier.

but it's silly for us to believe that he still puts the same amount of time into football preparation as he did while he was single.

I really don't get this line of thinking. When you're single, you might go out on any given night - or every night - and might be up until 3AM. And frankly, the night likely revolves around consuming alcohol and/or meeting women. If its the offseason, heck, you might sleep until noon.

When you're married and have kids, you're up at 6AM with kids, and you're asleep at 11PM after you've put them to bed. You're life largely revolves around your home. There's a lot less going out, a lot less late nights, late mornings, etc. There's way more structure and stability - and way less danger to a career path.

Would you rather Brady be hitting up Daisy Buchanan every night or be w/ Giselle & taking care of their kids? Because I got news for you, Brady didn't sit around twiddling his thumbs all night back before he was with Bridgette and Giselle.

Last edited:
This board has gone to hell.

Gosh sakes I'm tired of this idiocy you throw around. That's like saying BB can't coach these guys or tell them how they should play unless he throws on pads and a helmet and does it himself.

In short you have no idea what you are talking about, don't really have a strong opinion, but just want to argue. Anyone of you clowns who think this is a valid argument, care to throw up a bet about Brady's 2010 performance? Since it's detrimental to him and the team, he'll perform worse right, so let's bet on it.

This is a bet that can't be proven. Let's say Brady throws for 4000 yards, with 35 TDs and 10 INTs, leading the team to 12 wins, and a Conference Championship. How do you know he otherwise may not have thrown for 4500 yards, with 40 TDs, and 5 INTS, leading the team to 14 wins, and a Super Bowl Championship? That would seem to mean his decreased team participation/workouts etc. are detrimental, but there is no way to ever prove it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore