Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bruins Cup Win Highlight Of Otherwise Downer Year

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFans.com Article, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bruins Cup Win Highlight Of Otherwise Downer Year
    By: Bob George

The Bruins brought more happiness to this region in June than they perhaps realized....

2. FCB02062

FCB02062 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 6 / -6

I'd be curious to see how many people on this forum are Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox fans....or did they cherry pick the Patriots in 2001....
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

I think I would have put the Celtics playoff loss up three notches, but other than that I would agree with the rankings.

On a semi-related note, I wonder how people would rate how well individual Boston-area athletes performed in 2011? In my opinion the list is limited to Tom Brady, Tim Thomas and Jacoby Ellsbury.
  4. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'd say the Pats beating the Jets twice was pretty great.
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +209 / 4 / -5

*cough* [​IMG] *cough*
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

My bad :eek: ... let me amend that to five players:

Brady, Welker, Gronkowski, Thomas and Ellsbury.

:D
  7. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

No other sports hub in history would or could say that, in a year where one of the four major teams won a championship, it was a "downer year."

This just goes to show how the absurd and unprecedented success of New England pro sports of the past decade + has shaped our perspective. Every other city in the country would be delighted to have 1/4 of our success, with the possible exception of LA because of the Lakers, and NYC because of the Yankees. Those two cities would be happy with 1/2 of our success, however.

And when it started, Boston wasn't even a top ten market for sports, so the teams had to create their on the field success without the natural advantages of the bigger metro areas. Only this success has pushed the market just barely into the top ten, and thus reinforced the success with moderate financial advantages.

To have four franchises win titles in this time period, and to have two of them win multiple titles, is a dream. And we have lived it. And still are.
  8. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 12 / -5

Great post!! Absolutely agree and what's so much fun is how we're still living it because the Patriots, Sox and Bruins all have legit shots to win it all this year and continuing 3 to 4 years down the road. This is a very special era to be a New England sports fan. Very special!!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.