PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns sign Ben Watson - 3 years, $12M ($6.35M GTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always felt that Brady never trusted Ben. He could make a highlight reel catch with easy, but dropped some of the easiest passes in the world on a consistent basis. He had all the talent in the world, but it never translated on the field. In 2006, the Pats made it a point of emphasis to try to turn him into an Antonio Gates type of TE and he just couldn't be consistent enough to do it.

I wish him luck with the Browns, but I thought it was time for him to move on. Could have been a great TE if he worked on his consistency in his catching.

Word.

Just not tough enough, physically or otherwise.

Re: Ben Watson To The Browns

Mangini and Daboll are just space retainers and scapegoats for season one of the Holmgren era in Cleveland. Once Mike evaluates the roster and gets a couple of offseasons of his system personnel in place via FA, draft and trade, he will choose a new HC to fit his scheme and that guy will bring coordinators in who suit him... No sense giving the Dawg Pound a season to build frustration with his own guys when he has scapegoats available that his boss was going to have to compensate either way...

Josh who is still installing this offense in Denver, Pioli and Charlie who have a QB who played with him, and even Dimitroff whose young QB is depending on an aging elite TE in their offense had no interest in a guy drafted and developed on their watches. He simply was never a great fit for this scheme. Too complicated and functioning within it sapped whatever natural ability he may have had. He was always at least slightly out of place as a rookie, but he could still do damage when Brady did locate him. He used to run over people with abandon when he did catch a ball. That evaporated as he struggled to master all the nuances this system demands. He was always forced to overthink because it didn't come to him instinctively. A guy like Welker on the other hand was just born getting it... We need more guys like that because they maximize our QB's best attributes.

Excellent point. Which is why a guy like Edelman (former QB, used to reading defenses and making adjustments pre-snap) was able to pick up on the system quickly and make an impact. Not all former QB's could do this obviously, you still need the physical tools to make cuts, catch, etc, but in his case he had those AND the mental ability to jump right in and thrive (relatively).

He's a disappointment, like Maroney, but not close to a bust. You need to look at half the #1s being out of the NFL by Watson's age as busts.

As for him leaving, personally I would have liked to keep him but it appeared that Belichick had zero interest. Which says something although Holmgren's offense is more TE friendly - that said, Watson is looking at the likes of Seneca Wallace throwing to him now :eek:
I agree - how can you call a guy who lasts 6 years in the NFL, then nets a decent sized contract with another team a bust?

I wish we'd used him and Graham more as receivers, but we didn't. I can see Watson's point, though, better to have Senaca Wallace throwing to you than to be blocking Jared Allen while watching Brady throw to Moss and Welker.

Last edited:

I wont disparage Ben Watson the person, i wish him the best of luck in Steamer town but watching a replay of a Miami/New England game from '94 on the NFL Network made me remember just what a tight end could be. Coates was a beast, Great hands and he just flat ran over people. It was beautiful. I remembered he was target #1 to Bledsoe, but I had forgot about his physicality. It was like watching a graceful lion killing and raping a gazelle. He was YACtacular as well.

I always felt that Brady never trusted Ben. He could make a highlight reel catch with easy, but dropped some of the easiest passes in the world on a consistent basis..

I dont think it was the drops that bothered Brady it was the ones that hit him and bounced straight up in the air for ints

Josh who is still installing this offense in Denver, Pioli and Charlie who have a QB who played with him, and even Dimitroff whose young QB is depending on an aging elite TE in their offense had no interest in a guy drafted and developed on their watches. He simply was never a great fit for this scheme. Too complicated and functioning within it sapped whatever natural ability he may have had. He was always at least slightly out of place as a rookie, but he could still do damage when Brady did locate him. He used to run over people with abandon when he did catch a ball. That evaporated as he struggled to master all the nuances this system demands. He was always forced to overthink because it didn't come to him instinctively. A guy like Welker on the other hand was just born getting it... We need more guys like that because they maximize our QB's best attributes.[/QUOTE]

I find it funny that a guy who was rumored to score a 48 on the Wonderlick test is not smart enough to learn an nfl offense. Have you seen Wes W's interviews? :D

wow, this much ate towards watson?
i wish him the best, i hope playing with te browns lets im showcase what he can do wen give n the opportunity

Personally, I like Ben. I consider him and Pierre Woods the reasons we even made the playoffs.

Watson made some big plays over the years. He was a solid guy, team player, and was also probably the best TE available to the Pats. I figured he'd be retained....

Ditto

Now the Pats are in horrible TE shape.

Only if NEP have a game this Sunday - which thankfully they don't. Roughly 6 months til regular season. So relax....and enjoy the 2009 NEP Draft experience - coming soon this April to a website near you.

Amen. This is a classy human being who worked very hard and always put in 100% effort. He was simply a square peg in a round hole in the NE system.

The guy actually fired his agent in order to agree to NE's hardline 6 year rookie contract (something that is no longer allowed to be done by the league). He never complained in his 6 years about anything in NE and was an active member of the community.

Good luck, Ben and best wishes to you and your family for the future.

This.

It's not Ben's fault that he was the 4th or 5th option for the a large part of his career here. He was a good soldier who did what he was asked to do without any b*tching.

Amen. This is a classy human being who worked very hard and always put in 100% effort. He was simply a square peg in a round hole in the NE system.

The guy actually fired his agent in order to agree to NE's hardline 6 year rookie contract (something that is no longer allowed to be done by the league). He never complained in his 6 years about anything in NE and was an active member of the community.

Good luck, Ben and best wishes to you and your family for the future.

well said and, yes, good luck Benjamin : all the best !

and, personally, i have print in my memory that play in Denver: simply awesome

thank you # 84

Im glad the Ben Watson saga is finally over.

Me thinks NE will still sign a FA blocking TE and address the position via the draft.

Regarding the ability to pick up on the offense quickly (e.g. Welker, Edelperson...) vs next to never (e.g. Donald Hayes and our #2 WR picks post Branch), it's frustrating that somehow the hard working, intelligent, football savvy Patriots braintrust can't do a better job of screening for such attributes. Watson's brainy example shows how academic IQ and on field game conditions savvy are not necessarily related. Goes double for defensive players. The price of having a complex offense and multifaced defense results in a substantive fallout rate of draftees and even worse, experienced and expensive FAs.

Last edited:

Regarding the ability to pick up on the offense quickly (e.g. Welker, Edelperson...) vs next to never (e.g. Donald Hayes and our #2 WR picks post Branch), it's frustrating that somehow the hard working, intelligent, football savvy Patriots braintrust can't do a better job of screening for such attributes. Watson's brainy example shows how academic IQ and on field game conditions savvy are not necessarily related. Goes double for defensive players. The price of having a complex offense and multifaced defense results in a substantive fallout rate of draftees and even worse, experienced and expensive FAs.

great point. Good news about Watson is that it's over, we can't sign him.

Shows why signing vets is usually not good. 4M per year when you could get a rookie to do it for 1/6 of that.

For me i would use the word disappointment not bust. There's different levels of bust. You get the Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandirich type bust. Then you get the don't live up to the hype but are still useful IE Reggie Bush. For a late first round pick i don't think he was that bad.

I agree. We had a whole thread about this topic a while back. Most people hear the word "bust" and immediately think of guys like Leaf, Lawrence Phillips, etc.

As for Watson, I had no problem with him, but I don't really mind him leaving. Ordinarily I would wish him well, but until the Browns get rid of Mangina they are dead to me.

Watson made a lot of improvements this year. He started to just drop the ball instead of deflect it up in the air for a safety to cherry pick.

I think people have to admit Ben coates is never walking through that door again. Graham was an excellent blocker and that probably brought more value to the team than Watson. Both were first round picks rated as highly as any TE in their respective drafts.

And of course the expectations around here for Mr Wendy and Garrett Mills were ridiculously high. Mills just couldnt make that unbelievable team but he could have played fullback too and save a roster spot for another DB or whatever. Dave Thomas had one good game since he finale with Vince in the Sugar Bowl: that was going for about 8 catches and a +/- a hundo in a late season game of his rookie year when everyone was hurt (more than half his career yards almost!).

I think after seeing what happened in the "unspeakable" game, with Kyle Brady hurt, most people realized a blocking tight end is more important than route runner. Also in this offense with Edelman and Welker, I'd imagine a TE will get less looks anyways.

A couple JAGs that can stay healthy and help block for Light or Kazur (whoever is not replaced by Seabass) should be fine. Spend the money on Ghost or whoever.

Congrats to Watson on his second contract. My preference would have been for the tight end position to be worth $4M a year to the patriots.

1) He served us reasonably well for six years and did what he was called upon to do. He wasn't worth a late first rounder, but it was not his fault that the patriots decided to write the tight end out of the offense. If you folks think it was Watson's play that changed the team's offense, consider that we could have picked up a receiving tight end at any time.

2) Watson will get to play tight end for Cleveland instead of a glorified guard.

3) The TE position isn't worth $4M a year to the patriots.

4) It is now even more important to find a solid #2 and #4 wide receiver. As we saw last year, the TE is not an option much used in our offense.

Last edited:
Congrats to Watson on his second contract. My preference would have been for the tight end position to be worth $4M a year to the patriots.

1) He served us reasonably well for six years and did what he was called upon to do.He wasn't worth a late first rounder, but it was not his fault that the patriots decided to write the tight end out of the offense. If you folks think it is Watosn's play that changed the team's offense, consider that we could ahve picked up a receiving tight end at any time.

2) Watson will get to play tight end for Cleveland instead of a glorified guard.

4) It is now even more important to find a solid #2 and #4 wide receiver. As we saw last year, the TE is not an option much used in our offense.

Good points. The only year that this team has targeted the tight end under the Brady/Belichick regime was 2006. In that year, Watson was leading the team in receptions and having an excellent season before getting injured.

1) He served us reasonably well for six years and did what he was called upon to do.He wasn't worth a late first rounder, but it was not his fault that the patriots decided to write the tight end out of the offense. If you folks think it is Watosn's play that changed the team's offense, consider that we could ahve picked up a receiving tight end at any time.

Agreed on all points. I'd say that Watson was a bit on the inconsistient side as a receiver, but overall he was very functional.

Last edited:
I always liked Watson. He was an off and on player, but he has talent. Best of luck to him in Cleveland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft