PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns sign Ben Watson - 3 years, $12M ($6.35M GTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always hoped Watson would become the next Tony Gonzalez with his freakish speed and athleticism, but no way was he a bust here. He made great plays and awful plays on offense, but nobody can question his heart. I was there at the Chicago game when he fumbled twice on one play, but I also remember him running the length of the field and then some to hammer Champ Bailey during an interception return. If Brady didn't trust him, he certainly didn't show it this year as I recall Watson grabbing some drive sustaining throws this season.

This system really hasn't been great for any TE in recent years, but I hoped Watson was close enough to a receiver that he would find a place. I hoped he would stay, but I wish him well with the Browns. He earned his money.

The fact that they let him go, means they have someone already targeted, whether in the draft or FA. I doubt BB works without a contingency plan.

I realize he had Roberto Duran hands (ie, hands of stone), but he seemed like a real gentleman, and I wish he and his family the best in Cleveland. There's always somebody out there willing to overpay, and I'm glad it was for Ben. Nice guy!

Re: Ben Watson To The Browns

Amen. This is a classy human being who worked very hard and always put in 100% effort. He was simply a square peg in a round hole in the NE system.

The guy actually fired his agent in order to agree to NE's hardline 6 year rookie contract (something that is no longer allowed to be done by the league). He never complained in his 6 years about anything in NE and was an active member of the community.

Good luck, Ben and best wishes to you and your family for the future.

Well said. Best of luck to him.

Not every receiver benefits from having Tom Brady passing to him.

I do not understand the hatred
after catching like 50 balls in 2006 they did not throw to him and he never said anything bad. moss goes 1 game without a catch and he needs dr phill.Wes runs all the intermidate routes a TE runs in other offences so i am shocked that people want wes to not do that send watson.

he is a very good TE his blocking improved alot. its not by luck that in 2008 the pats ran for more yards then 1985 and then could not run last year.
Let see we got rid of evans ,thomas and neal was injured.Only fans are dillusion to think the running game is all RB. now watson is also gone .our running game is going to struggle the hard skill to learn for a TE is blocking from college to NFL.I have no idea but how many better blocking TE do you see other watson as FA.

Last edited:

He was simply a square peg in a round hole in the NE system.

And this, I will never understand why, or how. He was a first-round draft pick, for heaven sakes.

And this, I will never understand why, or how. He was a first-round draft pick, for heaven sakes.

karlos dansby and darnell dockett instead of ben watson and marquise hill.......hmmmmmm

Watson's a classy guy but he just reunited himself with the rat. I wouldn't have minded if he stayed and I sure don't mind that he's gone.

I do not understand the hatred
after catching like 50 balls in 2006 they did not throw to him and he never said anything bad. moss goes 1 game without a catch and he needs dr phill.Wes runs all the intermidate routes a TE runs in other offences so i am shocked that people want wes to not do that send watson.

he is a very good TE his blocking improved alot. its not by luck that in 2008 the pats ran for more yards then 1985 and then could not run last year.
Let see we got rid of evans ,thomas and neal was injured.Only fans are dillusion to think the running game is all RB. now watson is also gone .our running game is going to struggle the hard skill to learn for a TE is blocking from college to NFL.I have no idea but how many better blocking TE do you see other watson as FA.

Moss never once complained about not getting balls thrown to him in NE.

Ben is a great guy on and off the field I really wish him well. If there is anyone I'll be rooting for while watching the inevitable Browns games it'll be him.

I hope Ben has a spectacular second half to his career in Cleveland. Great guy in every way. At the same time, I'm glad this team is moving on without him. I was hoping that he would get a bigger contract though for two reasons: 1. He deserves whatever pay he gets, and, 2. It would lead to a higher compensatory pick for NE.

Good luck, #84!

I wonder--if Ben Watson had been an unrestricted free agent playing for the Browns, would we have made an offer?

I wonder--if Ben Watson had been an unrestricted free agent playing for the Browns, would we have made an offer?

Excellent hypothetical...
I think we'd be pining for him...I know I'd be thinking that a guy brimming with so much natural talent could be the next Tony Gonzalez with a guy like Brady throwing him the ball!

I was hoping Watson was going to go to a team that actually had a QB. Talk about the worst situation for him.

Am sad to see Watson go. He's a decent player.

I still believe there is a pro bowl player in him somewhere, but he just wasn't used to his abilities in the NE system. Not anyone's fault really, he just never quite got the reps and touches he needed to take it to the next level.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he becomes a threat with his new team if they are TE-heavy. Worth keeping an eye on him as a cheap TE pickup in FF leagues.

Watson is a class act, best wishes first and foremost. He didn't complain, he worked hard, tried his best, and went overseas to visit troops in combat zones. Best wishes Ben.

Well he's gone,so raise the question, is watson the first 1st rd bust of the BB era? He's VERY close to a bust , but it's debateable.

He was a reach as a 1st round pick if I remember it right. I thought he was pegged for the 3rd round by some, maybe the mid to end of the 2nd by some others, but I never saw him mocked as a 1st rounder. His 40 time and wonderlic score at the combine were what put him where he otherwise maybe should not have been, which was 32nd in the first round. I think if Watson were drafted more in line with where his predraft projections had him, then he'd be considered a decent value.

As an aside, look at the players who went right after Watson. Next pick was #33 Karlos Dansby, #34 Chris Snee, #35 Igor Olshansky.

National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft

How bad was that 2004 draft for the Patriots? When people wonder why this team has lacked talent over the last few years, as well as moving forward, they should look at this draft year as an example of why. Look at their picks through the first 4 rounds. This teams got nothing of substance from this draft. Only one player from their entire draft is still in the league.

32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia

63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State (RIP)

95 Guss Scott SAF Florida New England Patriots

113 Dexter Reid SAF North Carolina New England Patriots

128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas New England Patriots

Rounds 5-7

164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State New England Patriots

233 Christian Morton CB Illinois New England Patriots

Last edited:
Congrats to Watson on his second contract. My preference would have been for the tight end position to be worth $4M a year to the patriots.

3) The TE position isn't worth $4M a year to the patriots.

IMO, it depends on who it is. If Watson had developed into the next Antonio Gates, BB would have to nuts to not pay up and let a guy like that walk. I think Brady would have much to say as well.

NE needs more receiving options and Watson just isnt part of the solution.

I will miss Big Ben, one of the more underrated TE's in the league IMO. I'm sure he will personally thrive, but Cleveland is Cleveland.

As an aside, look at the players who went right after Watson. Next pick was #33 Karlos Dansby, #34 Chris Snee, #35 Igor Olshansky.

National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft

How bad was that 2004 draft for the Patriots? When people wonder why this team has lacked talent over the last few years, as well as moving forward, they should look at this draft year as an example of why. Look at their picks through the first 4 rounds. This teams got nothing of substance from this draft. Only one player from their entire draft is still in the league.

32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia

63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State (RIP)

95 Guss Scott SAF Florida New England Patriots

113 Dexter Reid SAF North Carolina New England Patriots

128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas New England Patriots

Rounds 5-7

164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State New England Patriots

233 Christian Morton CB Illinois New England Patriots

Uggggggggggghhhhhhhhh don't remind me, what a seriously PATHETIC draft.....

GL Ben, You'll have more time to go skiing from now on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe