PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns sign Ben Watson - 3 years, $12M ($6.35M GTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was not his fault that the patriots decided to write the tight end out of the offense.

Maybe the patriots wrote the tight end out of the offense because Tom nor Bill never trusted any of the last 4 drafted TEs to haul in a pass when it mattered. Hence why 2 were cut and 2 others were walked without the FO losing a wink of sleep.

Last edited:
Maybe the patriots wrote the tight end out of the offense because Tom nor Bill never trusted any of the last 4 drafted TEs to haul in a pass when it mattered. Hence why 2 were cut and 2 others were walked without the FO losing a wink of sleep.

If tight end was such a high priority, they could have just swapped Cassel/Vrabel for Gonzalez, instead of taking a pick. Barring that, they could have traded for Gonzalez later on.

Mark Bavaro isn't walking through that door....

Last edited:
Adam Schefter reported it on his twitter a few minutes ago:

Adam_Schefter

Cleveland scores: TE Ben Watson signed a three-year, $12 million deal with the Browns that includes $6.35 million guaranteed.

5 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Interesting he would sgn with a team who has no starting QB at the moment.

there is NOTHING perplexing about watson's motives here......this is his LAST "big" contract prior to his retirement.......and he is going after all he can get. Good for him. His skills have steadily been declining over the past few years.....and the Pats knew it as well and weren't going to overpay.........In his first several years here he was great.....made a ton of huge catches and a big contributor........never was OUT of a play......I will never forget his "run down" of Champ Bailey where he actually popped the ball out through the endzone which SHOULD have resulted in a touchback and Pats ball.....but of course was never called.........Wish you best of luck Mr. Watson......and a thanks for all you did here.......

Re: Ben Watson To The Browns

How can a guy be a bust when he actually plays for 6 years for you and then gets a decent sized contract to start for another team?

Was he a good LATE 1st round pick? No. But not a bust in any way.

Exactly.....talk like this is idiotic......a bust is Chad Jackson...........Watson played brilliantly (no sherlock holmes reference meant here) for several years before essentially plateauing......he also dropped alot of balls thrown his way.....Pats also phased out the TE position for some unknown reason the past few years.....still scratching my head on that one.......but good for Ben....if he can get someone to pay the dough for his final big contract....congrats.....and good luck.

Amen. This is a classy human being who worked very hard and always put in 100% effort. He was simply a square peg in a round hole in the NE system.

The guy actually fired his agent in order to agree to NE's hardline 6 year rookie contract (something that is no longer allowed to be done by the league). He never complained in his 6 years about anything in NE and was an active member of the community.

Good luck, Ben and best wishes to you and your family for the future.

Great post, totally agree. Happy for Watson to get a chance to cash in, and definitely going to miss him on the Pats.

If tight end was such a high priority, they could have just swapped Cassel/Vrabel for Gonzalez, instead of taking a pick. Barring that, they could have traded for Gonzalez later on.

A little late for that since Wes Welker had already arrived and made the receiving TE unnecessary... Maybe if they were satisfied with what Watson or Graham brought to the table in 2006 they wouldn't have traded for Welker...but they did. Watson struggled with route running and adjustments and his hands and he never really got them all going at the same time except sporadically. And usually then he got hurt.

Watson never lived up to expectations. His college performance hinted he might not, but his combine performance seduced Bill to take a shot he could be coached up. Again, not for lack of trying, but he could not be, at least not as a consistent receiver. Had they ever hit on a complete, elite TE I'm sure he would have been utilized more. As it is, they used them primarily as blockers because it allowed them to continue to realize value by getting by with an OL not demanding first and second rounders.

As for Gonsalez, I recall one season when Bill and Josh coached the pro bowl and they were miked up while strategizing and Josh was suggesting a play...and the comment was made by BB with a smirk on his face that Gonsalez wasn't gonna block...which is likely why Pioli let him go to Atlanta. All he'd have done here is get in Welker's way...or siphoned off Moss' TD's or gotten Brady concussed to go along with his busted ribs and broken finger. There is no place here for an primarily receiving TE absent dramatic upgrading of the OL. And he's still gonna have to block well because if an additional receiving threat is really what you need an upright QB throwing to an above average WR generally gives you more bang for your buck.

A little late for that since Wes Welker had already arrived and made the receiving TE unnecessary... Maybe if they were satisfied with what Watson or Graham brought to the table in 2006 they wouldn't have traded for Welker...but they did. Watson struggled with route running and adjustments and his hands and he never really got them all going at the same time except sporadically. And usually then he got hurt.

Watson never lived up to expectations. His college performance hinted he might not, but his combine performance seduced Bill to take a shot he could be coached up. Again, not for lack of trying, but he could not be, at least not as a consistent receiver. Had they ever hit on a complete, elite TE I'm sure he would have been utilized more. As it is, they used them primarily as blockers because it allowed them to continue to realize value by getting by with an OL not demanding first and second rounders.

As for Gonsalez, I recall one season when Bill and Josh coached the pro bowl and they were miked up while strategizing and Josh was suggesting a play...and the comment was made by BB with a smirk on his face that Gonsalez wasn't gonna block...which is likely why Pioli let him go to Atlanta. All he'd have done here is get in Welker's way...or siphoned off Moss' TD's or gotten Brady concussed to go along with his busted ribs and broken finger. There is no place here for an primarily receiving TE absent dramatic upgrading of the OL. And he's still gonna have to block well because if an additional receiving threat is really what you need an upright QB throwing to an above average WR generally gives you more bang for your buck.

You make a claim which I don't buy. I don't think this team would have used a "complete" tight end more than they've used Watson and Graham. That notion simply doesn't fit into the offensive system. It didn't fit in what Belichick ran in Cleveland, it didn't fit in what Weis was running, it didn't fit in what McDaniels was running, and it doesn't fit into what __________________ is running, either.

Also, you've got your story wrong, unless there's a second one out there:

Bill Belichick Teaches Tony Gonzalez the Value of Blocking -- NFL FanHouse

Last edited:

Exactly.....talk like this is idiotic......a bust is Chad Jackson...........Watson played brilliantly (no sherlock holmes reference meant here) for several years before essentially plateauing......he also dropped alot of balls thrown his way.....Pats also phased out the TE position for some unknown reason the past few years.....still scratching my head on that one.......but good for Ben....if he can get someone to pay the dough for his final big contract....congrats.....and good luck.

Watson played here for five seasons total. He went on IR one game into his rookie season. He started at TE in 40 games in 5 years. He plateaued early on, his ceiling wasn't that high. The unknown reason we phased out the position in the passing game was because we didn't have a TE who could put up remotely Welker like numbers essentially running the same routes. So we used them primarily as blockers which they don't really want to be since it's not sexy and doesn't pay the big bucks and it shortens your career exponentially. Would have been nice to have been able to use them more in the red zone, but if you struggle to get open or catch the ball in traffic consistently you aren't much of a red zone threat, so your QB starts looking at his tallest WR or a LB....

Ben may do better in a simpler system, although absent a competent starting QB it's gonna be tough.

You make a claim which I don't buy. I don't think this team would have used a "complete" tight end more than they've used Watson and Graham. That notion simply doesn't fit into the offensive system. It didn't fit in what Belichick ran in Cleveland, it didn't fit in what Weis was running, it didn't fit in what McDaniels was running, and it doesn't fit into what __________________ is running, either.

Also, you've got your story wrong, unless there's a second one out there:

Bill Belichick Teaches Tony Gonzalez the Value of Blocking -- NFL FanHouse

TE with speed as the ultimate weapon was the next hot thing around the time Bill drafted Watson because at first Graham couldn't seem to catch the ball at this level and then he was constantly getting injured... So he took a shot on the kid who dazzled at the combine, and missed. Otherwise it makes little sense to keep drafting them in the 1st. You can get a blocking TE off the street.

And the exchange I recall was on a miked up segment with BB and Josh at practice for that pro bowl.

TE with speed as the ultimate weapon was the next hot thing around the time Bill drafted Watson because at first Graham couldn't seem to catch the ball at this level and then he was constantly getting injured... So he took a shot on the kid who dazzled at the combine, and missed. Otherwise it makes little sense to keep drafting them in the 1st. You can get a blocking TE off the street.

Given the players that have been brought in to serve as blocking TEs, and the job they've done upon arrival, your claim is clearly not true. That has, in fact, seemingly been one of BB's blind spots. When it comes to the TE position, he's allowed the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

As I said earlier, Mark Bavaro is not walking through that door. Belichick can keep throwing away first round picks from now until the day he retires and that's not going to change. Hell, for most of his career, Mark Bavaro wasn't even Mark Bavaro. When BB finally figures that out, his tight ends will all be much better off.

I dont know if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me........I guess my response would be that any team that takes two first round tight ends in consecutive years has some definitive "high priority" at the position. 3 or 4 years later, the defense gives up 4 second half touchdowns and they still draft two more tight ends? Now tell me BB doesn't care about the tight end? Well, he had a 34 year old wide receiver playing defensive back with 4 tight ends on the roster or in the pipeline in 07/08. Thats says a lot to me.

(and just to save the time, i don't have the energy to look up if Grahmbo/Watson were back to back or a two years apart nor do I know Troy Brown's age in the 06/07 season so spare me the nit pickyness).

Last edited:
I dont know if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me........I guess my response would be that any team that takes two first round tight ends in consecutive years has some definitive "high priority" at the position. 3 or 4 years later, the defense gives up 4 second half touchdowns and they still draft two more tight ends? Now tell me BB doesn't care about the tight end? Well, he had a 34 year old wide receiver playing defensive back with 4 tight ends on the roster or in the pipeline in 07/08. Thats says a lot to me.

(and just to save the time, i don't have the energy to look up if Grahmbo/Watson were back to back or a two years apart nor do I know Troy Brown's age in the 06/07 season so spare me the nit pickyness).

I'm saying that getting a receiving tight end was not such a priority that Belichick went out and got one of the very best in the business when he had the opportunity to do so.

cheap money to improve the crappy TE position for brown.

watson is going to be good if they actually run 5-6 plays for him every game unlike us where we run 5-6 plays every 6 games.:D

Yup! I see him being a big part of the offense much to the embarrassment of Patriots coaching staff. Do they really think that they can get someone better in Free Agency. Ha.

I'm saying that getting a receiving tight end was not such a priority that Belichick went out and got one of the very best in the business when he had the opportunity to do so.

Given he was 33 at the time that supposed opportunity arose, and given BB had Welker running the same routes very successfully at the same time, he probably didn't believe he represented good value compared to the 34th pick in the upcoming draft.

Yup! I see him being a big part of the offense much to the embarrassment of Patriots coaching staff. Do they really think that they can get someone better in Free Agency. Ha.

Probably be almost as big a part of the Browns offense as Graham has been in Denver, if the Browns even had a remotely functional starting QB...:rolleyes:

"Tom nor Bill never trusted any of the last 4 drafted TEs to haul in a pass when it mattered."

You must have missed crunch time of the first Bills game last year on Monday Night Football last year. Ben Watson almost single handedly won that game - - - and Brady most certainly trusted him enough to target him multiple times in the last 4 minutes of that game.

Let's be a little more truthful with the word "never".

Last edited:
"Tom nor Bill never trusted any of the last 4 drafted TEs to haul in a pass when it mattered."

You must have missed crunch time of the first Bills game last year on Monday Night Football last year. Ben Watson almost single handedly won that game - - - and Brady most certainly trusted him enough to target him multiple times in the last 4 minutes of that game.

I agree did he miss that game ?. In the 4th quater ben came up big and caught some amazing catches.

Watson is a better blocker than any TE we will get and you know what the first time they whiff a block and brady gets sacks i will watch this board explode.

I agree did he miss that game ?. In the 4th quater ben came up big and caught some amazing catches.

Watson is a better blocker than any TE we will get and you know what the first time they whiff a block and brady gets sacks i will watch this board explode.

Watson isn't a great blocker by any stretch of the imagination.

If we want a good blocking TE, we should kick the tyres on Steve Heiden, recently released by the Browns.

Mark Bavaro isn't walking through that door....[/QUOTE]

definition of "never" : 3 TDs in 16 + 13 min of 2009 game with the best quarterback in football history running the offense.

definition of "outlier": 2 TDs in 2 minutes

By your definition, BB also trusts Ghost to go down and track down muffed returns on a regular basis too? Since it did happen of course.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes