PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brock Coyle v. Jordan Tripp

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this question in the draft thread:

What is the difference between Brock Coyle and Jordan Tripp?

They seem to have similar numbers, and Coyle was actually the tackle leader for the Grizzlies.

So why is Tripp seen as a special talent while Coyle might be lucky just to be drafted?

I think that's a legitimate question, and the film that we have on Montana is limited. Some initial thoughts:

1. Tripp has better height (6'2 3/4" vs. 6' 0 5/8"). Coyle is on the short side for an NFL LB. That's certainly not a major issue - look at Chris Borland.

2. Tripp appears to have more positional versatility. Coyle seems like a pure 4-3 MLB. MLBs tend to lead their teams in tackles. Tackles are nice, but explosiveness, range and coverage ability are probably all more highly prized in the NFL. Tripp seems - and again, the film is limited - like a guy who can do more things at the NFL level.

Coyle seems like the kind of prospect who would be a great backup MLB and STer, whereas Tripp is someone who probably has the ability to project to be a starter. But that's largely guesswork based on limited film, and word of mouth. It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that Coyle turns the tables and ends up being the better pro.

This is worth exploring. So:

FRITZ NEIGHBOR: In defense of Griz backer Brock Coyle : Griz Football

Tripp is a once-in-a-generation player who is dazzling scouts while practicing for Saturday’s Senior Bowl. Coyle’s just another hard-hitting “Mike” backer.

advantage Tripp

The only people whose opinions I care about are my teammates and my coaches. I was a team captain, and my peers voted me team defensive MVP.

Coyle fights back.

Tripp is nearly 6'3", Coyle is nearly 6'1". That's not a red flag on Coyle, his height is fine but I really like Tripp's length for someone who is dropping back into coverage.

Slight advantage Tripp.

On the other hand, Coyle's arms are 2" longer than Tripp's whose arms are fairly short at 30 3/4.

Coyle fights back again.

In terms of athleticism, they are both very close with 37" verts , running in the 4.6's, benching in the mid twenties and broad jumping about 10'. Coyle has the slightly better 3-cone time, although Tripp's is very good for someone at 6'3" but Tripp has an outstanding and much better short shuttle at 3.96

They're still battling each other to a tie even here.

The thing is though, when you look at the one bit of tape we've got of the two, Tripp looks to be the more impactful player and has the greater range. Having said that, whilst it's quite difficult to follow Coyle on that tape, I was impressed by how smooth he looked when dropping to cover someone.

Tripp is being rated the better player and clearly is but Coyle is interesting as a round 7/ UDFA prospect and, whilst I'd take Tripp every time, the drop off isn't quite as bad as some might think.

Seven.

The difference is about...seven.

Hope that helps. :)

Seven.

The difference is about...seven.

Hope that helps. :)

Actually, it's 19. :eek:

9356522.jpeg
9069552.jpeg

They are both very good players but the biggest concern the scouts have is the competition they faced. Below is the 2013 season for Montana.
Appalachian St
North Dakota
OK Panhandle St
N Arizona
Portland State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
E Washington
Sacramento St
South Dakota
Weber State
Montana State
Coast Carolina

They are both very good players but the biggest concern the scouts have is the competition they faced. Below is the 2013 season for Montana.
  • Appalachian St
  • North Dakota
  • OK Panhandle St
  • N Arizona
  • Portland State
  • UC Davis
  • Cal Poly
  • E Washington
  • Sacramento St
  • South Dakota
  • Weber State
  • Montana State
  • Coast Carolina

• That's partly why I still have Christian Jones ranked just ahead of Tripp.

These kinds of questions are why I find the draft so fascinating. Not so much the Tripp vs. Coyle but the Tripp's and Coyle's vs. the Jone's. For instance how does Danny Woodhead become more productive than Joe McKnight? I could go on all night with different examples. It's just such an imprecise process that until the resulted play out its hard to critique antbody's opinion. I love it.

When it comes to small-school prospects, we're very much at the mercy of other observers. But there's a general principle I follow with LBs:

The undersized-but tenacious MLB who is the undisputed leader of the defense and who puts up incredible tackle numbers through sheer grit is a staple of college football. And year after year, we see that these guys just can't make it in the NFL. They've maxed out.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back