PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring Ty Law Back!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on the money. We cant have enough depth at corner. The way I see it, we had an old-ass D last season, but it still got the job done. They gave up 17 in the final game, and played well throughout the season. Law would work in well, because we know the team's drafting a CB for the future relatively early anyway. KC was a miserable team last season, and I guarantee it affected Law's attitude. But in the '06 playoffs, Law didnt look like an overhill CB to me, and as usual, he OWNED Manning.

The man wants to come back. We have needs in the secondary. He knows the system. And Im sure he's still motivated to polish off a potential HOF career. It would absolutely be a win-win.

Just turned 34, 13 years in the league, tackles and INTs fell off a bit last year. Does he have enough left? Not too many DBs have played as long as Ty. Some that have are in the HOF. Ronnie Lott played until he was 35; Willie Brown 38; Darrell Green 42; Mike Haynes 36; Jimmy Johnson 38 to name a few of the HOFers. Again, what's Ty got left in the tank? If he's healthy and doesn't break the bank, I'd say bring him in.

you're right. and, piolichick is the only one who can answer your question. otherwise, bring him back. and, more power to Ty for getting the bucks when he could and doing it without missing out on a ring:)

I was totally opposed to the 'bring Corey back' rumors, when Morris went down.
I'm trying to think rationally, and along the same lines in the Ty Law situation now.
Damn, Ty was good though.
If he can play for Seau/Bruschi money, then do it, just so I can get my Fiance that Ty Law jersey she wanted, when she didn't know he left.

The problem here is that you wouldn't be getting Ty Law back. You'd be getting Ty Law act two. That ship has sailed folks. Watching a few Chiefs games these past few years makes it clear that Ty's experience doesn't make up for his lack of speed anymore.

Bill Burt apparently had a long talk with Ty while he was here attending the program at the Harvard Business School. He's sounding like he may finally have come full circle on leaving here. He is who he is, so he won't work for free. But he says some things that would lead me to believe they could actually get a deal done this time if Bill feels he in fact has enough left in the tank. Bill knows he isn't they player he once was - he wasn't two years ago when we waited months hoping to resign him. But he may still be a player Bill definitely sees a role for - like breaking in some young talent and upping the leadership quotient in a rebuilding secondary that is part of a transitioning defense.

I have no illusions or delusions about Ty. He and Lawyer were my boys, but they each had to go for entirely valid (albeit shortsighted on their part) reasons. Each got hung up on $$$ equalling respect. Having played for some horrendous losers for three straight seasons, and realizing Herm the Hugger don't have your back like Bill always does - even as each ultimately take away yo' money - he sounds like a guy who wants to continue to play IF he can find a job with "decent" pay and a chance to win (a lot). And he sounds like he hopes Bill will give him another shot to make that team the NEP. I think Bill will, but only if Ty can commit to signing his name to a contract in a matter of hours rather than days, weeks or months.

"That same day that Samuel signed with the Eagles, the Chiefs, Law's team the last two seasons, were supposed to announce his release. The formality may happen today.

"It was a mutual agreement," Law said over the weekend. "They are in a rebuilding situation and I don't want to go through that again. I still have something left in my tank."

On the Jumbotron at the Celtics game Wednesday, a live shot of Law was shown, waving to fans. You'd have thought it was Tom Brady by all the cheers.

"This is home to me. It always will be," said Law. "I have many deep roots here. I love the fans here. They were saying a lot of nice things to me (at the Celtics game). I was very appreciative."

Which begs the question: Would he come back to the Patriots and take that spot — I mean, huge hole — left open by Samuel's exit?

"I can't say anything about that right now," said Law. "I want the right situation for me, and that means winning."

Before we get too excited and possibly unrealistic, we should understand the other side to the Chiefs story. The initial report about his release termed his time in Kansas City as "relatively unproductive."

"It was tough in Kansas City because there were so many young guys (at safety)," said Law. "They were aggressive and had talent, but it's tough sometimes to have young guys watching your back."

As for his time away from the Patriots, Law did have one thing going for him that was cause for concern for Bill Belichick & Co. before his departure — his health. He injured his ankle during the 2004 season and there were questions about his future.

"But I never missed a game when I left here," said Law. "My health is not an issue. I'm as healthy as I've ever been. I am not ready to retire, not even close. I think I have three or four years left in my tank.

"Trust me, I am not going to hang around to collect a check," said Law. "I don't need the money. I could retire today and be set for life. But I still can play and I want to play. When I don't feel that way, I will retire on my terms."

Law said his public battles with Belichick, once calling him "a liar," have long since passed. In fact, he said he contemplated a return to the Patriots in 2006 before signing a five-year, $30 million deal with the Chiefs, collecting an estimated $12 million before his release.

In fact, he says there many times this past season that he found himself sticking up for the Patriots, admitting he was rooting for them through their near perfect-season.

"The spygate thing really burned me, man," said Law. "Players would talk and say the Patriots cheated and didn't deserve those championships. That's bull. It was like they were questioning what we had accomplished. Let me say this: All of my picks had nothing to do with any stupid video."

Law could put his money where his mouth is because Belichick, like Bill Parcells before him, always leaves the door open for former players to return. It's always easier to bring back players who know the system rather than bringing in newbies.

In Belichick's zone-based defensive scheme, Law's return would be almost seamless.

"I don't know about replacing anybody," said Law. "I just know that I can play at very high level. I know what Bill wants. He's one of the best in the business."

The other question — which in the end might be even bigger — is the cost.

"First of all, I'm not playing for nothing," said Law, all but shunning the possibility of a minimum salary for veterans with his experience ($1 million). "But I'm not looking to break the bank."

Law says he has matured some since he left New England "for greener pastures" after the Super Bowl season.

"I'm more comfortable with myself. It just comes with age," he said. "I'm enjoying my life more now than ever before. I'm comfortable in my own skin."

"Nobody has to sell me on the Patriots," said Law. "They were incredible this year. I realize they didn't finish the job, but everyone that plays this game respects what they accomplished.

"I know how hard the Patriots prepare," he said. "They compete for championships. I realized how special being a Patriot was when I left. It's a great organization. The Kraft family is as good as it gets in this league."

"I talk to Rodney Harrison a lot. He and I are still great friends," said Law. "I know what I need to know about the Patriots. We'll just have to see. Let's just say, I'm open to anything."

With the gaping hole in their secondary, the Patriots should be, too.

http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_063061658.html

Great article.

Has the formality of Law's release occurred yet?

I really want him back. I think a lot of folks are severely underestimating what he brings to the table, and how successful he'd be back here. Likewise, I think folks are moderately overrating Asante Samuel, mildly underrating Ellis Hobbs, and generally ignoring the huge upgrade Meriweather will be as FS next season.

Add in the addition of Capers, and all these factors combine to lead me to believe our secondary next season will be a stronger unit than the one we saw allow Eli Manning to...oh, f**k it, I can't even say it, you all know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Great article.

Has the formality of Law's release occurred yet?

I really want him back. I think a lot of folks are severely underestimating what he brings to the table, and how successful he'd be back here. Likewise, I think folks are moderately overrating Asante Samuel, mildly underrating Ellis Hobbs, and generally ignoring the huge upgrade Meriweather will be as FS next season.

Add in the addition of Capers, and all these factors combine to lead me to believe our secondary next season will be a stronger unit than the one we saw allow Eli Manning to...oh, f**k it, I can't even say it, you all know what I'm talking about.

I don't think it has for whatever reason.

I think he would play better here for a number of reasons, not the least of which is he would be better conditoned. Herm runs a pretty loose veteran ship and guys tend to coast. Bill not only won't stand for that, the team mentality does not allow it. And the fact remains while he lost most of a season to that lis franc, which included surgery, and he limped through his 10 pick season in NJ, he never misses games. And he still has Mannings number...

Asante wasn't a shutdown corner here. He was a ballhawk. And that almost accommodated Bill's scheme in that he didn't need the best cover guy on the left, he needed the ball hawk covering the alternative receivers... those are the ones that get targeted for ill advised throws and give up the pick.

What's a 'realistic' figure for both parties, in everyone's opinion?

Now divide that # by 3, for the number of times he will pick Peytie-poo. I may be hittin' the Kool-Aid a little hard on Ty here.

Bring Ty Law Back at the right price in an incentive laden contract!!!!

see above modification to the question.

What's a 'realistic' figure for both parties, in everyone's opinion?

Now divide that # by 3, for the number of times he will pick Peytie-poo. I may be hittin' the Kool-Aid a little hard on Ty here.

Tough to say in this idiotic market. He's two years older than the last time we tried to sign him as we broke in a rookie. Last time we offered him 2 years $9.5M with up to $11M if he met whatever incentives. KC countered with a phony 5/$30M deal that he says netted him "almost $12M". Since the incentives were playing time based he likely would have met them here too given we ended up tagging but not trading Asante and had Hobbs playing through in consecutive seasons fairly seriously hurting.

I'd offer him a 3 year deal for $12M with a $4M signing bonus and $6M guaranteed and a couple of million in makeable playing time incentives. But then it's not my money...

We did lose a # 1 corner but an elite CB should be able to play both sides of the field and take on the opponent's best receiver. Asante couldn't do that. Ty Law always could.
I disagree about Asante. Sure he's not what Ty Law was in his prime, but let's not take anything away from what Asante did with the Pats. He, like Ty, played on the left side and was most often matched-up with the opposing team's best receivers. At times, he's switch sides and move to the right side pending on what BB's gameplan called upon, and he even went cover man often against guys like Terrell Owens, trailing and following him across the field as Owens went in motion prior to the snap.

There has to be a better, more rational way of assessing Asante's contributions to the Pats franchise other than the approach of pitting him against Ty Law in a comparison. Simply put, Asante was a hell of a player in his own right.

Law said his public battles with Belichick, once calling him "a liar," have long since passed. In fact, he said he contemplated a return to the Patriots in 2006 before signing a five-year, $30 million deal with the Chiefs, collecting an estimated $12 million before his release.

I suspect many have read the Globe write-up from a couple days ago, but in that article, Ty claims that BB called him again and tried to convince him to come back to the Pats. The problem, according to Ty, was that he had already reached a verbal agreement with the Chiefs on the contract mentioned above and couldn't break his word with them even though he had not officially signed the contract.

Also, in that article, I found a funny quote. I took it as a jab when he stated that he still has hands and when he gets his hand on a ball, he hangs onto it. I think the SB pissed him off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe