PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Waters turned down "significant" pay raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Brian Waters turned down "significant" pay raise

Because not all accounts have said that it isn't about money.

The only ones that said it wasn't about the money state that Waters will forgo his family and play for the Pats if the Pats grossly overpay to get him back to make it worth his while.

Because not all accounts have said that it isn't about money.

who cares what people say??? especially when it comes to the pats.......all you have to do is look at the situation to see what its worth.....he wants to play....just not here.......but he does not want to play so badly to make the trip up here......my opinion is that his order of preference is as follows:

1 - play for houston
2 - not play

Last edited:

Felgers was forced to say he was wrong that the Pats were screwing Waters after the SMY article but still believes theres a catch, the catch? He has to play to earn his money, what a catch Felger, someone has to actually play to get paid. Mazz pipes in that he believes the report is bull, such a dbag, Mazz playing the tough guy is hilarious.

Felgers was forced to say he was wrong that the Pats were screwing Waters after the SMY article but still believes theres a catch, the catch? He has to play to earn his money, what a catch Felger, someone has to actually play to get paid. Mazz pipes in that he believes the report is bull, such a dbag, Mazz playing the tough guy is hilarious.

If you don't think that needing to be active to get paid is a catch, I'd like to point you to Mr. Hernandez.

Of course it's a catch, if it was actually in that offer.

If you don't think that needing to be active to get paid is a catch, I'd like to point you to Mr. Hernandez.

Of course it's a catch, if it was actually in that offer.

Seems fair since he wanted to and was allowed to skip training camp, Felgers assertion was they would Wes Welker him to not pay the money, I understand if he gets hurt he'll only get the base salary but all in all it seems like a fair compromise since he was under contract for this year and didnt want to play for the original contract.
The thing is Felegr doesnt know if the 4 mill was guaranteed or he had to play to get it all, hes just assuming it. Hes just as bad as the homer reporters only the other way, why cant these guys just state the facts and form an opinion on facts?

Last edited:

Seems fair since he wanted to and was allowed to skip training camp, Felgers assertion was they would Wes Welker him to not pay the money, I understand if he gets hurt he'll only get the base salary but all in all it seems like a fair compromise since he was under contract for this year and didnt want to play for the original contract.
The thing is Felegr doesnt know if the 4 mill was guaranteed or he had to play to get it all, hes just assuming it. Hes just as bad as the homer reporters only the other way, why cant these guys just state the facts and form an opinion on facts?

But per SMY and Bedard the agreement that he could skip 2012 training camp was part of the original deal in 2011.

And if a player agrees to a deal where he makes $900K in base salary and $3.1M in per game incentives, and he gets hurt and the team decides they are better off starting some young scrub...because they can get by and save almost $200K per game in the process? Felger is an idiot, but he's not a dope. He's pointing out we still don't know all the facts and yet the media is now portraying Waters as the problem in lock step based on one outlets still incomplete reporting.

Heck, even Felger has conceded that the Pats haven't done Waters wrong and that SMY story makes him believe the Pats weren't screwing with Waters and Waters either wants ridiculous money or wants to stay at home with his family. Why can't others on this board?

When Felger can concede this issue, you know that argument that the Pats were screwing with Waters or low balling him is a bogus argument.

Your interpretation of "fair" is not one that any player I've ever spoken with, in any sport, would agree with.

Last edited:

If the guy feels that strong about his family I say fair play to him. He is going to do his best to make sure his kids grow up in the right environment and he deserves credit for that.

After that I don't care as long as he doesn't play for a rival of the Patriots.

I do wish he would change his mind though and come play in Foxboro for one last season.

honestly, I think he hated the playoffs........he got used to the short season

Actually, this came from borgos who said he spoke to water`s people and confirmed that the base salary is 900k and the rest was active day roster bonuses.

so if gets hurt or the coach does not activate him he will loose money....seems more like they pissed him off more than anything. He was used KC treating him differently.

also which idiot put it out there that BB let him skip camp.....this is never proved just crap said.This new pay was offerred to report for training camp . so i do not believe they wanted him to take a deal to show up training camp and then said do not showup for camp.

Last edited:

honestly, I think he hated the playoffs........he got used to the short season

Good point. That's another month away from his family!

Good for him to put his family first.

Don't let the door hit ya, Brian.

Last edited:

Actually, this came from borgos who said he spoke to water`s people and confirmed that the base salary is 900k and the rest was active day roster bonuses.

so if gets hurt or the coach does not activate him he will loose money....seems more like they pissed him off more than anything. He was used KC treating him differently.

also which idiot put it out there that BB let him skip camp.....this is never proved just crap said.This new pay was offerred to report for training camp . so i do not believe they wanted him to take a deal to show up training camp and then said do not showup for camp.

Its not the point whether it was 4 mill with incentives, Felger assumed instead of actually finding out then stated as fact, its not that hard to find out the facts. Do you really think that with the state of the O-line that BB would sit Waters to save a few bucks? I understand if he got hurt he'd lose money but to say BB would sit him to save money is bull and thats one of the things Felger said.
No one said skipping camp was part of the original deal just that once he skipped camp they were still expecting him to play and were willing to make exceptions for a respected veteran.

Its not the point whether it was 4 mill with incentives, Felger assumed instead of actually finding out then stated as fact, its not that hard to find out the facts. Do you really think that with the state of the O-line that BB would sit Waters to save a few bucks? I understand if he got hurt he'd lose money but to say BB would sit him to save money is bull and thats one of the things Felger said.
No one said skipping camp was part of the original deal just that once he skipped camp they were still expecting him to play and were willing to make exceptions for a respected veteran.

Wrong. Both Bedard and Shalise stated that it was agreed upon back in September of 2011 that he would not be required to attend most if any camp in year 2. As Shalise reiterated in her report yesterday and again today.

I think the agreement probably intended for him to report just before or after week 1 of the pre season so he could be assessed and would be available for one knock the rust off game. When he didn't is when they found themselves having to sweeten the pot all the way to $4M although we don't know how much of that was incentive vs. guaranteed.

Maybe they could have sweetened it less a lot earlier and things would have worked out differently. But they took the alternate approach in the spring and asked him to restructure almost a third of his base pay that would otherwise have been guaranteed in week 1 into additional playing time incentives (of which he already had $750K remaining after earning all of his $1.5M in incentives on top of his base salary in 2011).

And it is difficult to find out the exact terms of any offer until it's signed and the league sees it and passes it on to insiders. You could ask both sides and get totally different spins. Same reason first reports on contract signings are not to be taken as fact. The devil is in the details and one man's guaranteed money often turns out to be not guaranteed at all or only implicitly guaranteed based on a number of assumptions that may or may not actually be reasonable.

As the Globe has previously reported, when Waters initially signed his two-year deal last September, he and Bill Belichick had an agreement that Waters would not have to take part in any offseason work or a good deal of training camp so that he could spend as much time as possible in his native Texas, where he lives with his wife and five children.

That agreement isn’t something that’s going to be publicized, because it’s preferential treatment for a veteran player.

But the Patriots fully expected that Waters would show up before the first regular-season game.

See Mo's post

Wrong. Both Bedard and Shalise stated that it was agreed upon back in September of 2011 that he would not be required to attend most if any camp in year 2. As Shalise reiterated in her report yesterday and again today.

family can't rejoin him in Boston?:confused:

Last edited:

family can't rejoin him in Boston?:confused:

5 kids. Most of them are either in middle school or high school. Would you move all the way from Texas to Boston right when school starts and then either keep them till June or move them after Jan?

5 kids. Most of them are either in middle school or high school. Would you move all the way from Texas to Boston right when school starts and then either keep them till June or move them after Jan?

I'd SELL my children for 4 million dollars and the opportunity to be a Patriot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST