Welcome to PatsFans.com

Brian Waters decision?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Gostkowski for 3, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gostkowski for 3

Gostkowski for 3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Does anyone know where Brian Waters stands for next season? I would love to see him come back, but I haven't heard much about him lately in the wake of the whole diva83 contract shenanigans and all the WR signings we have had in the offseason. Losing him and Light could be a problem.
  2. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Throw in the Mankins torn ACL injury, and one can view this as a potential problem on the offensive line; that said, they did go out and sign Gallery, so hopefully one of the 2 (Mankins/Waters) situations goes well in the coming months.

To answer your question...NO. No one 'really' knows one way or another, and if they do they aren't sharing the info.

There was one writer (Greg Bedard) who claims that Waters is definitely coming back, or at least did so a couple of months ago. However, as recently as last week Mike Reiss talked of signs that it was very much up in the air.

And of course Belichick himself dodged the question when asked a couple of weeks ago, although we can certainly expect that kind of predictibility from him.

I think most are assuming that Waters returns, but I will feel much better when/if he says so himself. Until then, it's up in the air in my opinion.
  3. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

really? :nono:
  4. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    I don't want to assume that Waters is returning I want him to return. Watching his performance in 2011 was pure, unadulterated football pleasure.

In reality, how are we set at RG? Is Cannon ready to step in and take his place? Do we roll Connolly there given Koppen is back? What about McDonald?
  5. supafly

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I would think that the return of Koppen is important in this matter, although many are ready to knock him due to Connelly's ability to hold down the center spot last yr. I'm in the minority, but I think that the team would have offered Connelly the exact same money without even worrying about the Koppen situation one way or another, and that's based on his ability to play both starting center and starting guard.

Obviously the Mankins situation will dictate some of the moves, so that is dependent upon whether or not he's on the PUP list to start the yr.

I see the following (giving or taking one player, which should be between McDonald and maybe Wendell, although they both can certainly make it if Mankins starts on PUP):

Interior lineman--

Koppen
    Mankins (may start on PUP)
    Waters (IF he returns obviously)
    Connelly
    Wendell/McDonald

Tackles--

Vollmer
    Solder
    Cannon
    Gallery

Obviously, the signing of Gallery allows us to have the capability to move him both inside and outside, depending upon the need.

There's 9 or 10 OL right there, with pretty nice depth. The situation will change though, depending upon the Waters situation + the Mankins PUP possibility.
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  6. supafly

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    To answer your question (sorry, I blanked out, or maybe blacked out):

I think the best move if Waters did not return would be to start Koppen at center, while starting Connelly at RG.
  7. TyronePoole

TyronePoole Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

he told me but since you insulted Wes I'm gonna make you sweat it out
  8. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    [​IMG]
  9. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The three guys who will be ready at the start of the season, aren't Brian Waters, and have proven they can start at interior OL in the league are Koppen, Connolly, and Gallery. So that would be the way to bet.
  10. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Are there question marks on the OL (Mankins' knee, Vollmer's back, Waters' potential to retire)? Yes.

While other contending teams may not have as many potential questions they likely don't have as good a line if everything goes right, and more importantly none of them have as many potential answers in their backup depth.

Last year the Patriots had to start four different starters - and they kept on winning. By comparison what happened to the Jets when Nick Mangold was injured? What happened to the Bills when mid season rolled along and the inevitable injuries occurred?

The Patriots have plenty of options across the line specifically with Connolly/Koppen, Gallery and Cannon, and at the next level with Wendell, McDonald and Thomas - and that's before getting to Zusevics, Kopa, Hix and Opperud.

In comparison to other NFL teams the Patriots are set up to survive the inevitable setback on the offensive line much better than most any other NFL team.
  11. Ive_Killed_People

Ive_Killed_People Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'd welcome him back but I think our young depth is pretty good
  12. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Based on the fact that they passed on DeCastro and didn't draft not one OL, I'm guessing they're confident Waters will be back.
  13. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    BB knows stuff :D
  14. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

1. Waters is under contract.
    2. He is a beast when healthy and coming off a great season where he got a chance to taste the playoffs and make it to the Superbowl.
    3. Unless he just has nothing left, I don't see him turning down another chance to win it all at this stage in his career.
    4. We have a backup plan - Gallery, Cannon, Connolly. Not as good as Waters but one of those guys should be at least serviceable.

http://www.patriots.com/media-cente...-1272012/e4e7b258-7b84-42a4-94c2-1aa4dd7f5180
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  15. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not to jump to any conclusions, but Reiss notes (1) that Brian Waters has been absent from (voluntary) OTAs so far, and (2) that the Pats have at least kicked the tires on some veteran linemen:

Quick hits from today's OTA - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Cleaning out the OTA notebook - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Source: Trio of O-linemen in for tryout - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I assume the Pats are just doing diligence, but this is clearly something to monitor over the next month and into training camp.
  16. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

I desperately wanted wanted Senio Kelemete and Nate Potter, I hope passing on them doesnt come back to bite the team.
  17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Markus Zusevics and Jeremiah Warren say hi. :)
  18. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I badly wanted Kelemete, too. But I agree that Zusevics and Warren have some developmental potential.
  19. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

No binkie love there, sorry;)
  20. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

huzzah!!!!
  21. supafly

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Reiss has been quite apprehensive in terms of the return of Brian Waters for a while now.

He certainly did not say anything definite, but he has planted the seeds of doubt several times now.

Very conflicting to what Greg Bedard reported, although that story was a while back IIRC--unless he has said something about it recently.

As I said in other threads, I will be happy if/when Waters announces his return or we get credible news. Until then, it seems as though it is quite the possibility that he may not return.
  22. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

23. supafly

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
  24. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey

It's not "news", actually.

As I said a couple months ago:

1 ~ Waters always takes this part'f the season off, while he allegedly "contemplates." ;)

2 ~ He might also be trying to winkle ~ or is it wheedle?? ~ Mad Bill out'f a few more clams. :D
  25. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

And given that he was able to stroll in straight off the street to a starting job last year, I think it's fair to say that Brian Waters don't need no stinkin' OTAs.
  26. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You beat me to that one.

I'm optimistic that Waters will be back, and I certainly want him back. Badly. But at the same time, the Pats have done a remarkable job with their OL depth. Marcus Cannon played RT today in OTAs with Sebastian Vollmer out, and Robert Gallery played LG. With Matt Light recently retired, if Logan Mankins isn't ready to start the season, Vollmer's back acts up and Waters decides to call it quits, the Pats could still field a starting OL of Nate Solder-Robert Galler-Dan Koppen-Dan Connolly-Marcus Cannon. That's pretty damn impressive. I can't think of another team that has that kind of OL depth. And based on past experience, we may well end up needing it.
  27. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The one scary thing to me is that if Vollmer's not healthy, I don't really see a backup LT on the roster.
  28. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vollmer's absence would hurt a lot, but I think Scar could find some workable combo. The Pats briefly tried Logan Mankins at LT last year after Matt Light hurt his leg in warmups for the second Miami game. Despite Robert Gallery's prior struggles at LT for Oakland, I have to wonder whether Scar wouldn't be able to use him more effectively. And with Gronk and Fells I'm sure the Pats would use a blocking TE to help out anyone exposed on the blind side, just as they did with Vollmer in 2009.

I'm guessing that the OT depth will be tested at some point during the season. Remember the 2009 New Orleans game when we could barely patch together a starting line? Not pretty. But I can't think of another team that could potentially lose 4 Pro Bowl/All Pro linemen to injury or retirement (Light, Mankins, Waters and Vollmer) and still field a solid unit.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that at least one of Matt Kopa, Kyle Hix, Markus Zusevics and Jermiah Warren will develop into something more than just a JAG lineman. Maybe not in 2012. But just maybe. And I have great hopes for Nick McDonald, and hear rumors that the Pats see him as potentially a long term starter at center.
  29. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

how is it nobody signed waters before the pats got to him?
  30. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.