PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News, We Lost One Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say this. It was worse last year at this point with the Cassel doubters.

I'm thinking about this game till next Sunday. So sorry.

Give us a break, We just lost a game. It's how fans grieve, no matter how bad we talk about our team, at the end of the day we will still support them. We just need to release some steam(especially the first couple of days after a lost). It's not that we are chicken little , band wagon fans...It's just that we need to vent out some frustrations and sometimes in doing so we might post a few things that may seem like we have no faith and the sky is falling.

Besides this is a message board, We are suppose to express how we feel with our thoughts. Whether or not It's rational thinking. I can bet you after a person has shared his thoughts in here,he or she feels way better. Bring on the Chicken Littles!

I gave you a break, I made one post saying I choose not to participate. Carry on, dont waste time on me, you have a lot to educate BB on.

Give us a break, We just lost a game. It's how fans grieve, no matter how bad we talk about our team, at the end of the day we will still support them. We just need to release some steam(especially the first couple of days after a lost). It's not that we are chicken little , band wagon fans...It's just that we need to vent out some frustrations and sometimes in doing so we might post a few things that may seem like we have no faith and the sky is falling.

Besides this is a message board, We are suppose to express how we feel with our thoughts. Whether or not It's rational thinking. I can bet you after a person has shared his thoughts in here,he or she feels way better. Bring on the Chicken Littles!

i think that's a very fair point and very well made. personally, i try to distinguish between those who are venting frustration and blowing off steam and, as you put it so well, "grieving" and those who are just excessively and irrationally negative because they are so disappointed.

Jumping ship after one loss is one thing. Remaining blind to areas which need to be addressed are another.

I'm fine with having a down game. I haven't said one word against Tom Brady, or, frankly, against any of the players. I like our personnel. I still think we have the players to be a SB contender.

BUT I've been saying all pre-season that we need a more balanced offense, and I don't like average 50 passes/game. I don't believe that will be a useful recipe for us. AND I've been saying since the end of last season that we need a less passive defensive approach. The coaches call the plays and implement the schemes, not the players.

We should still make the playoffs. Heck, I think we can still finish 14-2 if we change some things and make the right adjustments. But we have some work to do if we want to be a legitimate SB contender. If saying that is "disloyal", embarrassing, and causes you to jump ship, then so be it.

I'm not saying analysis is wrong. I am saying the overreaction of negatvity is. There are posts ripping basically everything about this team. The general tone is that we are a long shot to contend this season. There are tons of posts with people actually trying to suggest that they could sit down with BB and tell him what he is wrong about.
I'd be fine with that if we had a history of failure or mediocrity. We dont.

I'm not saying analysis is wrong. I am saying the overreaction of negatvity is. There are posts ripping basically everything about this team. The general tone is that we are a long shot to contend this season. There are tons of posts with people actually trying to suggest that they could sit down with BB and tell him what he is wrong about.
I'd be fine with that if we had a history of failure or mediocrity. We dont.

Fair enough. But a stinker is a stinker. We were out-coached as much as were outplayed. BB usually pulls about 1 stinker a year (like the first Miami game last year). The rest of the time he runs rings around the rest of the NFL (not to mention the idiots in the media and the fans).

If this is our stinker for 2009 and we get it out of our system, make adjustments, and move on, it will be a good thing. No reason right now to assume that won't happen, given our history.

The Steelers, Chargers, Titans, Ravens and Colts all have significant issues to address if they want to contend. So do we. And I doubt the Jets are just going to run away from the rest of the division. I like our chances as well as anyone's if we make adjustments and play up to the capability of our personnel. If not, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Again, I'm not saying it is wrong to have an opinion.
What annoys me are when people overexagerate the meaning of losing a game, and when people decide that the very system, philosophy, schemes and basis of all of our success are now stupid, failing and bad coaching.
I have news for all of those posters.
BB has won 3 SBs and never had an aggressive, blitzing take no prisioner defense.
Rex Ryan has won no SBs (in a decision making capacity) and his father won 1 in 40 years of coaching.
So lets drop the flavor of the week critiquing that Bill Belichick should take lessons from Rex Ryan.

I need a WebMD online intervention, boo hoo....I must be going crazy......weep weep.....my eyes tell me the Jets kicked the snot out of Brady.....but I've beed "advised" not to entertain such notions in my brain. Who do I turn to .....Deus......Nem........GreenJets&Ham?

It's just tiring to read on a Tuesday.

The game was a few days ago.

When does your steam blow off?

well, when i was really young it happened very fast...but...oh wrong topic....:singing:

i think some folks just need time to process, especially if they've only known the Belichick/Brady Patriots and haven't studied or lived through how hard it is to win a Championship (Conference or League) or be consistently competitive to win a Championship in the NFL. That's why I so like BB's analogy at the beginning of every season when he says that it's just 32 teams starting at the bottom of a very big mountain and trying to claw their way to the top.

I guess I look at people out here and think that some of them should know better, given their volume of posts and apparent knowledge of the game, and so I get more impatient with them at a time like this. Others I figure are relatively new to following the League and so I cut them some slack when they whine after a loss like we had on Sunday.

The OL is what the OL has been. In fact it is clearly better than in some of the very successful seasons. Somewhere (I dont remember where, NFLN I think) it was stated that Brady has HIT SEVEN TIMES. In 47 passes that is not a bad job, especially when 23 of them had 6 r more rushers. However, for some reason fans seem to be happier if they can find a place to blame a loss on, and ecstatic if they can project that blame into season long doom. I do not understand why.
The problem in that game was not what happened before Brady released the ball, it was what happened as and after he did. That was simply not the typical Tom Brady. He has dealt with being 'rushed' and being hit more than 7 times in a game, and torched teams. In tbis game too many of his throws did not go where he wanted them, or with the zip he wanted, because he absolutely was not stepping in to his throws.
If the 'real' Tom Brady was out there, we win that game by 2 TDs or more.
I am perfectly comfortable saying that we need Brady to play like Brady to win that game. I am 100% confident that when the games are for hats and tshirts, that real Brady will be out there, and these overreactions will look silly.
As far as the pass rush, it has been better than last year, and last years was average by NFL standards.
I really dont care what the name of the guy is who is hitting the QB.

Sorry for interupting though, please return to making posts about how many things BB does wrong, and how you know better than he does. Whats next, offensive play calling, or defensive philosophy? Surely with his track record you have a lot to teach him.

No one is questioning Belichick but Belichick does not put on a uniform and pads and is not on the field unless he is throwing a red flag.

Belichick simply gives the commands and strategies of the plays and its up to the talent of the players to properly carry out those commands correctly and make good on them,It does not matter how great of a HC you are if the player is making mistakes or lacks fundamentals of that particular call then you will have problems.

Just like a horse who is tons better than the other horses in a race,if you have a jockey getting the horse out of position during the race and thereby not executing the horses full talent the horse is going to lose the race.

I put the blame not on the coach but on lack of protection and pass pressure right now,Its Not Brady nor is it Belichicks fault.

You have no clue as to whom I am putting our sluggish start on and if you see where I blame Belichick you show me.

One thing that annoys me to no end on this board is that the team wins or loses with Brady and has it all on his shoulders,Brady is the biggest cog in the machine for sure,but he needs the other pieces to work just as well for the machine to function properly - This team has all the pieces to make the puzzle finish perfectly but some of the pieces are not in the right place right now.

Last season Cassel and all his pieces worked well together which is why the team won 11 games without Brady,Put Brady AND all the pieces together like last year and this team should win 12 or more games.

Last edited:
the only thing that really bothers me is that on a pretty consistent basis, the pats are being physically outplayed.

they don't hit as hard or as often as their opponents

...And I doubt the Jets are just going to run away from the rest of the division. I like our chances as well as anyone's if we make adjustments and play up to the capability of our personnel. If not, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Did you see their schedule? No Ravens or Steelers, although they face the Titans next (and Colts towards the end).

If they continue this kind of a focused performance with a dominant D, they have a great chance of going 13-3 or better. And if Brady doesn't get his groove soon, it is going to be a long season for us and so, yes, Jesters have a very good chance of running away from the rest of the AFCE.

Did you see their schedule? No Ravens or Steelers, although they face the Titans next (and Colts towards the end).

If they continue this kind of a focused performance with a dominant D, they have a great chance of going 13-3 or better. And if Brady doesn't get his groove soon, it is going to be a long season for us and so, yes, Jesters have a very good chance of running away from the rest of the AFCE.

Sure they have a chance. And if we don't get our act together we shouldn't be worrying about what they do. But it's a long season, as last year showed. I expect Kris Jenkin's back to slow him, and injuries are a fact of life in the NFL. The Jets don't have the greatest depth in the world. Plus, they were exceptionally keyed up for this game, and may well come down to earth. It's possible they will be dominant, but by no means certain.

Sure they have a chance. And if we don't get our act together we shouldn't be worrying about what they do. But it's a long season, as last year showed. I expect Kris Jenkin's back to slow him, and injuries are a fact of life in the NFL. The Jets don't have the greatest depth in the world. Plus, they were exceptionally keyed up for this game, and may well come down to earth. It's possible they will be dominant, but by no means certain.

I really don't care where they end up; just pointing out that they have very easy schedule even though their past record indicates that they have a good chance of falling flat during the second half.

I am depressed with this loss more only because we let them get away with such arrogance and boasts before the game. As you rightly said, if we don't get our act together, it doesn't matter. .

However, I am sure that we will. Wish we get our vengance and more in Nov.

Last edited:
I find all this amusing. I'm not a Chicken Little. I've often poked fun at such people, actually. I've noted that it's early in the season and that it's not time to panic. However, watching all the people who last week were telling us how wrong we were to think that the Buffalo game was a bad performance now pulling out the "It's the Chicken Littles!" stuff is priceless.

The team has played poorly to start the season. The team knows it. It's done so against two teams with offenses that weren't really up to NFL caliber for various reasons. Thus far, the line can't get consistent pressure on its own, the linebackers can't cover, and the secondary keeps blowing big plays against QBs that are just waiting to screw up. Thus far, the O-line can't block, the WR can't hold onto the ball, and the QB can't throw with the accuracy he used to, move around in the pocket the way he needs to or find the calm poise with which he used to play. The offensive playcalling was inept to the point of almost becoming a self-parody and the defensive coordinator, even seeing the struggles of the offense, didn't make adjustments to try pressuring a rookie QB into bad throws. The special teams were just about as bad.

Still the homers insist that anyone who points this stuff out is just insane or an embarrassment. What's embarrassing is the homers who can't just admit the obvious. This isn't a "______ is playing fine, but the pass was late, the hole wasn't there, he was held" situation. This is a "they're failing on pretty much every level, and denying that doesn't make it go away" situation.

We lost this game on purpose so we wouldn't have the pressure of 19-0 to cloud the rest of the season... ;)

Until this team shows domination from the first quarter to the last quarter you will have many doubters of who and what this team is.

This is part of the problem, expecting domination, 2007 was a once in a lifetime season, you dont have to dominate all year to win a super bowl, just get in and be gelling at the right time ala 2001 SB

Still the homers insist that anyone who points this stuff out is just insane or an embarrassment. What's embarrassing is the homers who can't just admit the obvious. This isn't a "______ is playing fine, but the pass was late, the hole wasn't there, he was held" situation. This is a "they're failing on pretty much every level, and denying that doesn't make it go away" situation.

Its the extremes I think Andy's referring too, I think the fans have come to expect way to much from this team, 2007 aint gonna happen again in our lifetime, 11-5, 12-4 and playing well in Dec on is good enough for long time fans. Get in the playoffs and have the potential to do some damage is all we should ask for.
Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws and bad plays but theres a lot on this board that think the sky is falling and its over, I see it in real life too, Ive had 2 people ask me this week if the I thought the Patriots run was over and if I see us going back to the days of no playoffs etc.. Brady's done blah blah Thats what Andy's referring too and I agree with him.

As I explained it isnt a matter of assessing the game, its the bs that goes with it.
A true die hard fan community would not dance on the grave of one loss.
Read the board. And ignore everything you knew about this team before you did.
You would conclude that BB is a doddering idiot who doesn't know anything about football, our team has no talent, Brady lost 'it' in the surgery, and we have been a medicore at best team for a long time.
At some point 'fair and balanced' incudes giving the benefit of the doubt in not blowing one game out of proprtion, but lynch mobs never are fair and balanced are they.

I have to agree, but its panic. Some people just panic at the first sign of something going wrong. Add to it all the rubbish that has been coming out of Rex Ryan's mouth and the fact that it was the Jets we lost to, it just set things off for a lot of people.
I'm not among them, I think our OL didn't look that good, but its more down to who is calling the plays imo. We didn't rush the ball enough to keep them from blitzing.
I was shocked at the responses in the thread I started regarding the Brady sucks chants that were going on. A lot were saying that he did suck, I mean the guy is a legend of the game, he is being rushed all day and doesn't have time to set himself or he will get sacked. On top of that he threw for more yards than anyone else in week one. Like wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST