PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking Down the Pats D Front against Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone noticed that the Pats busted out the 3-4 defensive front on first down to counter the Cowboys run game. First time that I really noticed them feature it this season, although maybe they were in it some during the Bills game. I'll have to check.

Any case, with that as a trigger, I spent a little time dissecting the defensive front used against Dallas, to figure out what exactly what Matty Patricia's guys were trying to do. Found it to be a pretty fascinating study. Here are my notes from the first few series of the first half, which I think is pretty representative of the overall game plan.

First defensive series of the game:

(1st and 10) Pats open in a 3-4 alignment with...

DE Siliga - NT Branch - DE Jones
OLB Ninkovich - ILB Mayo - ILB Collins - OLB Hightower

result: 2 yard run, Mayo tackle

(2nd and 8) Pats flex the exact same players into a 4-3 look...

DE Ninkovich - DT Siliga - DT Branch - DE Jones
SLB Hightower - MLB Mayo - WLB Collins

result: incomplete pass with Ninko chasing Weeden out of the pocket in a designed roll out. This looks like just a really bad misdirection concept against a Pats D that's just too disciplined. Dallas motions the FB into the backfield and run a play action pass with a little bootleg action. The FB and RB get swallowed by the DL. Witten uncovers after run blocking but Hightower isn't fooled and chases in coverage; and there's one receiver deep on the bootleg side, but Ryan is in good position there too. No one is fooled. Weeden just throws it away.

(3rd and 8) Pats into a pass rushing dime...

DE Ninkovich - DT Sheard - DT (looks like Brown with the bullrush?) - DE Jones
MLB - Collins
SS - McCourty and Richards, double bracketing Witten
Deep S - Harmon
CB - Brown, Coleman, Butler, in single man coverage

result: incomplete pass, deep left to Williams with Butler and Harmon in coverage. Pressure coming at Weeden up the middle. Interesting that Chung comes out for rookie Richards in this obvious passing situation.

Second defensive series of the game... another 3 and out

(1st and 10) Pats in the 3-4 again, clearly to plug the run

CB Butler, Ryan
SS Chung
FS McCourty

result: run to strong side for 5 yards. Witten takes Ninko out of his gap to make room. Chung dodges the RT to make a good tackle and save the first down. BTW, Witten is really good.

(2nd and 5) Cowboys in 2TE set, unbalanced left. Pats go into the 4-3 nickel with Mayo coming out for Harmon. McCourty comes down into the box to take the 2nd TE. Hightower moves inside to Mayo's spot, and Chung plays a nickel/coverage SLB on Witten

WLB Collins - MLB Hightower - SLB/SS Chung - SS McCourty
CB Butler, Ryan
FS Harmon

result: run to B gap on weak side, for 2 yards. Collins tackle.

(3rd and 3) Cowboys in 12 personnel, flex Witten to the slot, Escobar releases. Pats go in 4-3 nickel again

same personnel that stopped the run on 2nd down, but this time they pass

result: sack Hightower who beats the RB cut block. Four man rush, with Collins and Hightower playing an interior stunt blitz while Jones and Ninkovich drop into coverage, with Jones + McCourty bracketing Witten, Ninkovich + Ryan bracketing Beasley, Chung trailing Escobar, Butler on Williams. Weeden is clearly looking for Beasley on an in-cut but Ninkovich is in the passing lane. Then looks for Witten, who's doubled too. And Hightower gets there before he can even think about anything else. Really nice D across the board in the secondary, plus a tremendous athletic interior pass rush. I really love that both OTs are standing around looking for someone to block, while the two LBs surge up the middle.

Six plays in summary

Versatility in the scheme, of course, keyed by:
(a) Jones as 3-4 DE on the OG, 4-3 run stopping DE, 4-3 DE dropping into coverage
(b) Hightower as 3-4 OLB, 4-3 SLB on TE, 4-3 MLB to plug the run/blitz
(c) McCourty as the deep center field FS, then SS/SLB on a TE in the dime
(d) Ninkovich as 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE with edge contain, 4-3 DE dropping into coverage

Our much maligned secondary looked pretty tight to me, even in slo-mo replay. I'm not seeing a lot of places where Weeden could have put the ball.

The pass rush is consistently good, even with just a four man rush.

The deception in the coverage schemes clearly had Weeden surprised.

The consistent tight double team on Witten, with either (a) Chung or McCourty, plus (b) Richards (dime) or a LB (nickel), really made a difference. Really forced Weeden to look outside.

Given the elite OL that Dallas has, the run stopping was pretty solid. 2 yards. 5 yards. 2 yards.

Third defensive series of the game
a little different...

(1st and 10) Pats in a 4-3 front

DE Sheard - DT Hicks - DT Brown - DE Jones
SLB Hightower - ILB Mayo - WLB Collins
CB Ryan, Butler
SS Richards
FS McCourty

result: pass center to RB for 5 yards. Collins tackle. The Pats were playing their second team D, to give some of their guys a breather. Sheard for Ninkovich. Hicks and Brown for Siliga and Branch. They play this down as if they expect a run, and the formation looks like a run. When Weeden pulls the ball back and looks to pass, a more than a few defenders step back to recover their depth, including Butler, Collins, Hightower (who bumped Witten on the line). Weeden apparently doesn't see what he wants on the flat so dumps it to Randall for a short gain, a moment before getting buried by Sheard.

(2nd and 5) Back to the 3-4, anticipating run

DE Hicks - NT Brown - DE Jones
OLB Sheard - ILB Mayo - ILB Collins - OLB Hightower
CB Ryan, Butler
SS Richards
FS McCourty

result: run for 2 yards off RG. This run ended in the prototype 2-gapping pig pile, with Hightower, Mayo, Collins, Jones, Hicks and Brown, all clenched with the defenders trying to block them, converging and collapsing on the runner who really has nowhere to go. Sheard with a nice upfield move to turn the run inside.

(3rd and 2) Dallas with 2TE set, Pats counter with a 3-3 nickel look, Mayo off for Harmon again to bring McCourty into the box

DE - Hicks - NT Brown - DE Jones
OLB - Sheard - ILB Collins - OLB Hightower
SS Chung (on Escobar), McCourty (on Witten)
DB Ryan, Butler, Harmon

results: amazing split second sack by Collins (called back for defensive holding on Sheard helping on Witten). Collins shoots the A gap between Hicks and Brown, and the RB breaks his ankles just trying to get there. Incredible play. Sheard helps McCourty on Witten, Hightower helps Chung disrupt Escobar. Weeden was on the ground in less than a moment. The holding called on Sheard looked pretty innocent to me, but whatever... it extends a drive which should have ended right here.

Shortly later Hightower leaves with his rib injury, the Cowboys proceed to move the ball on this drive and squeeze out the only 3 points they'd get in the half.

Thoughts on similarities / differences on this series from the first two series

- Interesting that they chose to play Hicks and Brown on the inside, and not Easley. Hicks is a BIG body, actually makes Brown look small in comparison, if you can imagine.

- Sheard is playing the Ninkovich role, exactly. The Jones role is actually rather different in this game plan, since he plays as a down lineman in the 3-4 look, when the other two are standing on the edge with contain duty.

- Continue to use the 3-4 OLBs to help on the TEs in pass coverage, and free Hightower and/or Collins on the (very effective) inside blitz in third down passing situations

- The DTs aren't really expected to get much pass rush, much more focused on occupying blockers to cut Hightower and Collins loose. But they mostly get pretty good penetration, especially Malcom Brown who carried his blocker all the way back to the QB a few times.

- In clear passing situation, it was Richards and McCourty doubled on Witten, facing a 3-wideout / 1TE formation, with Chung on the sideline.

- But, later, in likely passing situations facing a 2TE set, it was Chung and McCourty on the two TEs with LB help, and Richards watching. This, presumably, out of respect for the running game?

Great post. Looking forward to digging more into it later.

Not sure if anyone noticed that the Pats busted out the 3-4 defensive front on first down to counter the Cowboys run game. First time that I really noticed them feature it this season, although maybe they were in it some during the Bills game. I'll have to check.

Any case, with that as a trigger, I spent a little time dissecting the defensive front used against Dallas, to figure out what exactly what Matty Patricia's guys were trying to do. Found it to be a pretty fascinating study. Here are my notes from the first few series of the first half, which I think is pretty representative of the overall game plan.

First defensive series of the game:

(1st and 10) Pats open in a 3-4 alignment with...

result: 2 yard run, Mayo tackle

(2nd and 8) Pats flex the exact same players into a 4-3 look...

SLB Hightower - MLB Mayo - WLB Collins

result: incomplete pass with Ninko chasing Weeden out of the pocket in a designed roll out. This looks like just a really bad misdirection concept against a Pats D that's just too disciplined. Dallas motions the FB into the backfield and run a play action pass with a little bootleg action. The FB and RB get swallowed by the DL. Witten uncovers after run blocking but Hightower isn't fooled and chases in coverage; and there's one receiver deep on the bootleg side, but Ryan is in good position there too. No one is fooled. Weeden just throws it away.

(3rd and 8) Pats into a pass rushing dime...

DE Ninkovich - DT Sheard - DT (looks like Brown with the bullrush?) - DE Jones
MLB - Collins
SS - McCourty and Richards, double bracketing Witten
Deep S - Harmon
CB - Brown, Coleman, Butler, in single man coverage

result: incomplete pass, deep left to Williams with Butler and Harmon in coverage. Pressure coming at Weeden up the middle. Interesting that Chung comes out for rookie Richards in this obvious passing situation.

Second defensive series of the game... another 3 and out

(1st and 10) Pats in the 3-4 again, clearly to plug the run

CB Butler, Ryan
SS Chung
FS McCourty

result: run to strong side for 5 yards. Witten takes Ninko out of his gap to make room. Chung dodges the RT to make a good tackle and save the first down. BTW, Witten is really good.

(2nd and 5) Cowboys in 2TE set, unbalanced left. Pats go into the 4-3 nickel with Mayo coming out for Harmon. McCourty comes down into the box to take the 2nd TE. Hightower moves inside to Mayo's spot, and Chung plays a nickel/coverage SLB on Witten

WLB Collins - MLB Hightower - SLB/SS Chung - SS McCourty
CB Butler, Ryan
FS Harmon

result: run to B gap on weak side, for 2 yards. Collins tackle.

(3rd and 3) Cowboys in 12 personnel, flex Witten to the slot, Escobar releases. Pats go in 4-3 nickel again

same personnel that stopped the run on 2nd down, but this time they pass

result: sack Hightower who beats the RB cut block. Four man rush, with Collins and Hightower playing an interior stunt blitz while Jones and Ninkovich drop into coverage, with Jones + McCourty bracketing Witten, Ninkovich + Ryan bracketing Beasley, Chung trailing Escobar, Butler on Williams. Weeden is clearly looking for Beasley on an in-cut but Ninkovich is in the passing lane. Then looks for Witten, who's doubled too. And Hightower gets there before he can even think about anything else. Really nice D across the board in the secondary, plus a tremendous athletic interior pass rush. I really love that both OTs are standing around looking for someone to block, while the two LBs surge up the middle.

Six plays in summary

Versatility in the scheme, of course, keyed by:
(a) Jones as 3-4 DE on the OG, 4-3 run stopping DE, 4-3 DE dropping into coverage
(b) Hightower as 3-4 OLB, 4-3 SLB on TE, 4-3 MLB to plug the run/blitz
(c) McCourty as the deep center field FS, then SS/SLB on a TE in the dime
(d) Ninkovich as 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE with edge contain, 4-3 DE dropping into coverage

Our much maligned secondary looked pretty tight to me, even in slo-mo replay. I'm not seeing a lot of places where Weeden could have put the ball.

The pass rush is consistently good, even with just a four man rush.

The deception in the coverage schemes clearly had Weeden surprised.

The consistent tight double team on Witten, with either (a) Chung or McCourty, plus (b) Richards (dime) or a LB (nickel), really made a difference. Really forced Weeden to look outside.

Given the elite OL that Dallas has, the run stopping was pretty solid. 2 yards. 5 yards. 2 yards.

Third defensive series of the game
a little different...

(1st and 10) Pats in a 4-3 front

DE Sheard - DT Hicks - DT Brown - DE Jones
SLB Hightower - ILB Mayo - WLB Collins
CB Ryan, Butler
SS Richards
FS McCourty

result: pass center to RB for 5 yards. Collins tackle. The Pats were playing their second team D, to give some of their guys a breather. Sheard for Ninkovich. Hicks and Brown for Siliga and Branch. They play this down as if they expect a run, and the formation looks like a run. When Weeden pulls the ball back and looks to pass, a more than a few defenders step back to recover their depth, including Butler, Collins, Hightower (who bumped Witten on the line). Weeden apparently doesn't see what he wants on the flat so dumps it to Randall for a short gain, a moment before getting buried by Sheard.

(2nd and 5) Back to the 3-4, anticipating run

DE Hicks - NT Brown - DE Jones
OLB Sheard - ILB Mayo - ILB Collins - OLB Hightower
CB Ryan, Butler
SS Richards
FS McCourty

result: run for 2 yards off RG. This run ended in the prototype 2-gapping pig pile, with Hightower, Mayo, Collins, Jones, Hicks and Brown, all clenched with the defenders trying to block them, converging and collapsing on the runner who really has nowhere to go. Sheard with a nice upfield move to turn the run inside.

(3rd and 2) Dallas with 2TE set, Pats counter with a 3-3 nickel look, Mayo off for Harmon again to bring McCourty into the box

DE - Hicks - NT Brown - DE Jones
OLB - Sheard - ILB Collins - OLB Hightower
SS Chung (on Escobar), McCourty (on Witten)
DB Ryan, Butler, Harmon

results: amazing split second sack by Collins (called back for defensive holding on Sheard helping on Witten). Collins shoots the A gap between Hicks and Brown, and the RB breaks his ankles just trying to get there. Incredible play. Sheard helps McCourty on Witten, Hightower helps Chung disrupt Escobar. Weeden was on the ground in less than a moment. The holding called on Sheard looked pretty innocent to me, but whatever... it extends a drive which should have ended right here.

Shortly later Hightower leaves with his rib injury, the Cowboys proceed to move the ball on this drive and squeeze out the only 3 points they'd get in the half.

Thoughts on similarities / differences on this series from the first two series

- Interesting that they chose to play Hicks and Brown on the inside, and not Easley. Hicks is a BIG body, actually makes Brown look small in comparison, if you can imagine.

- Sheard is playing the Ninkovich role, exactly. The Jones role is actually rather different in this game plan, since he plays as a down lineman in the 3-4 look, when the other two are standing on the edge with contain duty.

- Continue to use the 3-4 OLBs to help on the TEs in pass coverage, and free Hightower and/or Collins on the (very effective) inside blitz in third down passing situations

- The DTs aren't really expected to get much pass rush, much more focused on occupying blockers to cut Hightower and Collins loose. But they mostly get pretty good penetration, especially Malcom Brown who carried his blocker all the way back to the QB a few times.

- In clear passing situation, it was Richards and McCourty doubled on Witten, facing a 3-wideout / 1TE formation, with Chung on the sideline.

- But, later, in likely passing situations facing a 2TE set, it was Chung and McCourty on the two TEs with LB help, and Richards watching. This, presumably, out of respect for the running game?

Wow, amazing post! Thanks for taking the time to review the game film and put this together, I'm sure it took quite a bit of time!

Wow, amazing post! Thanks for taking the time to review the game film and put this together, I'm sure it took quite a bit of time!

Labor of love. This may be the best D we've had since the 2003 and 2004 versions. Worth taking a closer look.

Our defensive front is shockingly good, versatile, and deep with quality. Who else switches from 3-4 to 4-3, from 1st down to 2nd down? And without substituting any personnel? I haven't done film on any other defenses, but I have to imagine this is something that is uniquely Belichick.

And it's not just the first unit... the second unit morphs on the fly too.

Also, against the 2TE sets, the Pats showed a 3-3 Big Nickel and a 4-2 Big Nickel. Big Nickel is a Pats thing, and having two variations of it feels pretty unique to me.

Cool stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Our defensive front is shockingly good, versatile, and deep with quality. Who else switches from 3-4 to 4-3, from 1st down to 2nd down? And without substituting any personnel? I haven't done film on any other defenses, but I have to imagine this is something that is uniquely Belichick.

And not only that, but also playing 3-4 and 4-3 on the same down. One half of the line two gaps, the other half one-gaps. The 3-4 backers are in read and react, and the 4-3 backers are in a react call and go at the snap. This is especially useful on a run down where the 4-3 is on the backside of the play and can contest the run quite aggressively without worrying about a big loss in yardage, whereas the 3-4 side on the strong side can play the run conservatively, and prevent any big holes from opening up as you have free backers filling those holes.

This is something fairly recent and I think a result of BB's priority on drafting players with high football IQ, over talent which has paid off big time. Everyone sees talent as it is quite apparent, but football IQ rarely shows on the stat sheet, yet makes all sorts of little differences that contribute to a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back