PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks wants to finish career with the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he feels that way after Brady and BB are gone. because he most likely has a lot more time left then they do. hes late joining the party.
Let's wait and see on that. Brady shows no signs of slowing down, and Kirk Cousins gives us a pretty good idea that he could be effective even if he loses a few MPH off his fastball. Cousins gets it done with cunning and timing and no real laser power, Brady could probably adjust to do that too. So as long as BB is able to make strategic adjustments to match his rate of decline and keep the team built around what Brady can do at the moment rather than what he could do at his peak, I don't actually expect him to have a dramatic falloff within the next 3 years. And Brandin Cooks is a great guy to have if Brady starts needing to throw jump balls and timing plays instead of laser beams

Also, football careers are never sure things. Especially for little guys who have to really throw their bodies around to compete with bigger men. Brandin Cooks strikes me as an intelligent man with his eyes on the prize. I fully expect him to understand that immediate earnings potential matters less than a lasting legacy in the NFL, and the Patriots are the place to do that. I would not at all be surprised if he DID take a hometown discount.

Let's wait and see on that. Brady shows no signs of slowing down, and Kirk Cousins gives us a pretty good idea that he could be effective even if he loses a few MPH off his fastball. Cousins gets it done with cunning and timing and no real laser power, Brady could probably adjust to do that too. So as long as BB is able to make strategic adjustments to match his rate of decline and keep the team built around what Brady can do at the moment rather than what he could do at his peak, I don't actually expect him to have a dramatic falloff within the next 3 years. And Brandin Cooks is a great guy to have if Brady starts needing to throw jump balls and timing plays instead of laser beams

Also, football careers are never sure things. Especially for little guys who have to really throw their bodies around to compete with bigger men. Brandin Cooks strikes me as an intelligent man with his eyes on the prize. I fully expect him to understand that immediate earnings potential matters less than a lasting legacy in the NFL, and the Patriots are the place to do that. I would not at all be surprised if he DID take a hometown discount.
cooks is 24. if healthy he will be playing in the league from this point forward a lot longer than bb and Brady. even if Brady plays till he's 45. cooks will still be playing. let's see if he wants to retire a patriot after they are gone.

cooks is 24. if healthy he will be playing in the league from this point forward a lot longer than bb and Brady. even if Brady plays till he's 45. cooks will still be playing. let's see if he wants to retire a patriot after they are gone.

I don't see this dynasty ever coming to an end maybe semi down years at the most, after BB is done I'm sure the blueprint to the ship will be well structured to keep it rolling and going where it needs to be

If he's serious, it really makes me curious as to what the hell happened in New Orleans.

I'm extremely curious about that. Great players just don't change teams like that in this league. Especially on rookie deals.

And if Cooks gets injured by a hard tackle...Will Brady say " That's the way the cookie crumbles?" :eek:

Edelman, Dola, even Hogan we love em but clocks already ticking
Clock may be ticking, but these guys still have several productive years and Brady makes them gold the way he uses them. Brady is the one extending his career. But yes, Cooks is awesome and more than worth that 32nd pick.

Brady could probably adjust to do that too
The key to Brady's throws are his awesome mechanics. Watch the 2 long bombs to Cooks from Mexico in slow motion if you can. It is actually stunning to watch his whole body mechanics in those throws in slo mo, then when the ball finally comes out of the motion, it takes off like a bullet even in slow motion. His mechanics are better than they were ten year ago and they were great then as well. he throws better than ever. I honestly think he will play until 45 46 now. And that fits perfectly with a Cooks second contract. Cooks could be in his 8th or 9th season when Brady leaves. Also, if Belichick goes a few more years, I don't see why he just won't keep going, unless something big changes.

If he's serious, it really makes me curious as to what the hell happened in New Orleans.
I think it was less about how he, as an individual, was treated in the offense, and more about the fact the team sucked.

I really get the feeling he likes working hard and winning. I think he values his teammates and not just the offensive guys. It seems BB does a very good job of integrating all 3 units into one cohesive group. You can see a bit of it in the locker room clips we get after wins. He didn't get that in NO his first 3 years. Nor were they a winning team.

Clearly the Pats are going to have to "pay him" when the time comes. But I don't see him as a true "elite" WR, in the Julio Jones mode. but in the group just below that. So I see them giving him a Gronk type deal after the season. A team friendly extension with a big signing bonus, and lower salaries combined with attainable incentives he should make as long as he's healthy and productive. That way, if the team benefits from his presence, he'll get top dollar, and if he's not on the field, he'll get a lot less.

As a side note, I think that is going to be the trend with the Pats as how they sign their "stars". With the kind of money top players are getting, teams can be crushed by injuries. So I think more and more, our top players are going to get offered deals that pay moderate salaries, whee the player can ultimately get top dollar, IF he's on the field and moderately productive. Again, very much like the current Gronk deal.

Last edited:
Time to strike while the iron is still hot with the majority of our offense and defense still in the prime of their careers! These next few years will hopefully eventually lead us to 7 or more...

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure that the Patriot Way is going to be at an end when Brady in particular is gone. We have a model that works. Brady is not the only quarterback that buys into that model. Hell, Cassel did, and we won 11 games with him. Get another quarterback that buys in, and even if he's not as good as Brady, I still think the team will make the playoffs more often than not as long as the Patriot culture remains intact.

Basically I firmly believe that the culture of the franchise is so well established now that it's going to take a long time and several poor decisions for it to really break down.

And God help the NFL if Belichick's final legacy for the Patriots is sticking the transition to another solid to great quarterback. This is not a pipe dream, all he has to do is bring in an above average guy who buys in, and I think the culture of careful planning and extreme preparation will keep our franchise very strong for a very long time.

...I want his jersey...But nervous. He is here for at least another year..then a deal incoming..unless something is worked out before then?

I wonder if it was first and foremost a cap issue. Saints were in cap hell and still have limited cap space (per overthecap.com) so I wonder if they figured to jettison him now, get a first rounder and still have a quality receiving corps albeit a weakened one, especially if they were transitioning their offense to more of a balanced one with drafting of Kamara and at the time signing AP... The obvious reason a team dumps a quality player ( locker room issues) doesn't seem to be at play here.....

We know he'd been frustrated with the offense in N.O., because he vented that publicly. There were also reports that he was the driving force behind the trade.

From our show today: I'm told Brandin Cooks is the driving force behind trade talks. Wants out of #SAINTS offense.

But we don't have a full explanation of the "why" of it.

I don’t think he’d have to take too much of a pay cut. Maybe B.B. can get him for like five mill per. Even at nine he would be a good deal but we know bill won’t go that high

There is no way the Patriots sign Cooks for anything less than 10 million a season, and that’s probably low. Right now he is scheduled to make 25 million the next 2 seasons, if they tag him, so any deal they offer will have to guarantee at least that much. Imo keeping him is going to take a deal around 70 million with at least 30 guaranteed. I think he’s a rare player and Belichick will really try to keep him, although he may take the safe route and let him play through a tagged season. We’ll see?

We know he'd been frustrated with the offense in N.O., because he vented that publicly. There were also reports that he was the driving force behind the trade.

But we don't have a full explanation of the "why" of it.

Saints Offense don't miss Cookie especially with that Two headed Monster they have at RB and WR Michael Thomas.

And before we put Cooks in the Patriots HOF and Canton I would like to see more games like Sunday.;) Right now I am leaning towards extending our new Weapon Dwayne Allen over Cookie.:p

And before we put Cooks in the Patriots HOF and Canton I would like to see more games like Sunday.;) Right now I am leaning towards extending our new Weapon D Alligator over Cookie.:p

Fixed

Regardless of how Cooks got here, it was definitely a win-win for both teams. Ryan Ramczyk, the player taken with the Pats pick, has started every game this year at either left or right tackle, and has only allowed 2 sacks and 1 holding penalty.
Given the Saints running game, he's probably not bad at run blocking either.

I'd do the trade again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference