PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks unhappy - should Bill bring Cookie back?

And he's only 28, so yeah.

When I first heard about his issues with Houston my first reaction was to think, "he'd be a great pick up for us"
but after going through this thread, I've come to believe that given our limitations with the cap, and our OTHER problems at CB, its not the move to make right now. He'd be a luxury at WR, when we have necessities in the secondary

Why not both? It’ll be tight against the cap but Bill could add two players with the $5 million or so we have left. Cooks would cost us $2.5-3 million.

No. There's a reason he's on a new team every other year.

Probably an unpopular choice but I'd be all in for an Isabella - Harry swap. Wished we drafted him, and it's looking like he's available,

I think there are other positions of higher priority, but if a deal can’t be made to upgrade those, I’d be quite happy to see him return. He would improve our passing game.

If the Pats want an immediate big impact now, Cooks is the way to go. He knows the offense and can start right away and make an impact. He and Jones would have to develop a bit of chemistry, but he wouldn't struggle with the plays.

That said, I don't know if receiver is a pressing need. They certainly could use an upgrade, but they need a speedy LB or a big corner to who is fast and physical enough to play man with some of the bigger and better outside receivers far more. The question is whether someone is available with that description.

Historically, these types of midseason offensive acquisitions haven't been successful (except maybe the returns of Blount and maybe DBranch). If Cooks already had a rapport with our current QB, it would make more sense, but I feel like Mac is just starting to gel with our current receivers, so I wouldn't mess with it.

I think the way they decide this stat is all over the place, but of note is that he's already had 3 drops so far (64 tgts). (Woah - Deebo already has 7 per Reference.)

Sure...why not...as long as we can make it work and leave some emergency money aside. IIRC, we only have 5M in cap space....

He wouldn't be an Agholor replacement. He would essentially render Nkeal Harry useless. Which I'm sure we would all be excited for...but...I don't think the coaching staff sees it the same way.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see us addressing WR/Nkeal until next offseason.

If the Pats want an immediate big impact now, Cooks is the way to go. He knows the offense and can start right away and make an impact. He and Jones would have to develop a bit of chemistry, but he wouldn't struggle with the plays.

That said, I don't know if receiver is a pressing need. They certainly could use an upgrade, but they need a speedy LB or a big corner to who is fast and physical enough to play man with some of the bigger and better outside receivers far more. The question is whether someone is available with that description.
the problem is a fast and physical corner who is capable to play against bigger and better outside receivers are probably the most sought after position other than QB these days, However we just might have 2 of those on the team right now......MAYBE. JWilliams had his best game as a Pat last week and Sean Wade MIGHT be another. Clearly we will find out something about these 2 vs the Chargers. Very early days for Wade, but at least there is hope. Confidence is a big factor for CB's. I'm hoping that after a big day last week, Williams will continue on an upward cycle this week.

the problem is a fast and physical corner who is capable to play against bigger and better outside receivers are probably the most sought after position other than QB these days, However we just might have 2 of those on the team right now......MAYBE. JWilliams had his best game as a Pat last week and Sean Wade MIGHT be another. Clearly we will find out something about these 2 vs the Chargers. Very early days for Wade, but at least there is hope. Confidence is a big factor for CB's. I'm hoping that after a big day last week, Williams will continue on an upward cycle this week.

The entire reason BB drafted Joejuan Williams is that he hoped he was getting Brandon Browner 2.0. Certainly if JWilliams can blossom into a starting quality boundary NFL corner that will justify the 2nd round pick expended to acquire him. And certainly we do NOT want to see more of Jalen Mills getting TORCHED again and again on the outside. Or at least I hope the Patriots coaching staff is thinking that.

As for Cooks. If the Pats were unhappy with him before and couldn't wait to flip him into a 1st round pick, why do you think BB would want him back? Cooks is kind of a one trick pony, he does that trick very well, but he's not a well-rounded receiver, and he will let you down with his lack of physicality and mental toughness when the chips are on the table. I don't think he's returning to New England for those reasons.

Upgrade from Agholar but given JJ and OL injuries, I'd rather we spend resources on helping out our secondary or OL.

Probably an unpopular choice but I'd be all in for an Isabella - Harry swap. Wished we drafted him, and it's looking like he's available,
Not so sure - although it's intriguing. Isabella would NOT be replacing Harry. He'd be replacing Gunner.

Harry is being used primarily as a blocker, and he's doing a pretty good job of it. Isabella is tiny.

Not so sure - although it's intriguing. Isabella would NOT be replacing Harry. He'd be replacing Gunner.

Harry is being used primarily as a blocker, and he's doing a pretty good job of it. Isabella is tiny.
The LOL part of that statement is that Harry is only useful as a blocker. Great use of a 1st round pick, BB!! :rofl:

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back