PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch backpedaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, since when has having an existing contract meant ANYTHING to Meion?

It is when the existing contract overpays him 3x of the fair market value. He needs to be put in his place ... the end of the bench.

That was nice.

Indeed.

On the other hand, it also told his that his twin sons are named Deiondre and Deiontey, and that he'd gotten terrible grades in school.

Nobody's perfect ...

It is when the existing contract overpays him 3x of the fair market value. He needs to be put in his place ... the end of the bench.

He just doesn't want to get cut. He'd be saying bye bye to all those big dollars. Branch has been a disappointment in Seattle and I would daresay they hoped they were getting a #1 guy and got more like a #2B.

Branch: 'I'm a Seattle Seahawk' - Extra Points - Boston.com

"...On the day he was traded, Branch said he fielded calls from about 12 of his Patriots teammates, all of them telling him that when Bill Belichick informed the team of the trade, six veterans stood up and walked out of the meeting room. Branch appreciated that. But he also felt like it was unnecessary..."

What inquiring minds would like to know is: Who were those 6 vets who left the room?

I don't know if I want him back

I want a good receiver. If that's him then great but I could care less that he was here for some SBs in the past.

Indeed.

On the other hand, it also told his that his twin sons are named Deiondre and Deiontey, and that he'd gotten terrible grades in school.

Nobody's perfect ...

He got terrible grades in school......well he must have failed math badly, because he thought his contract had expired at the end of the 2005 season,. when in reality he had a contract in place for 2006 already!

Dumbass doesn't even know when his contract runs out..........sure would be nice to have an agent that at least knew how to count.

Branch: 'I'm a Seattle Seahawk' - Extra Points - Boston.com

"...On the day he was traded, Branch said he fielded calls from about 12 of his Patriots teammates, all of them telling him that when Bill Belichick informed the team of the trade, six veterans stood up and walked out of the meeting room. Branch appreciated that. But he also felt like it was unnecessary..."

What inquiring minds would like to know is: Who were those 6 vets who left the room?

Yeah who were the other losers that decided that he shouldn't play for a contract that HE signed, and forced the team to use Reche Caldwell as the #1?

In a related story, an exotic dancer told me she loves me and will always be true. I'm sure she's sincere.

Is she a good receiver?

I love this from the guy who claimed Tommy's knee would never, ever be the same based on his own experience just 4-5 months ago...

If Branch is truly "capable of doing everything he did as a Patriot", I would have him back. I would have him back as our WR3 in a second, actually. He didn't play out his contract. It's not as if he put a knife in BB's back. If the Pats' front office (who has infinitely more of a reason to be mad at him compared to the fans) is willing to have him back, then I would be behind it too.

For God's sake, some of you take this game way too seriously. You act as if he is a cheating spouse. It's also funny that many of the same people who resort to the "well, this is a business", response whenever a player complains about not getting paid by the Pats are now and have been crucifying Branch for actually recognizing that this is a business and that New England, while it might have been the best place for his talent set, wasn't the best place for him to get paid as much as possible. Yes, this IS a business and Branch recognized that.

Having said that, my primary concern with Branch is his health. As I've been saying, he's essentially played on one leg for the better part of the past four years. If the Pats' front office thinks that he's capable of finally having a full healthy season, I'm on board with it. A healthy Branch is lightyears better than a Sam Aiken in this system. However, I have serious doubts as to whether or not he's going to be able to play a full, healthy season.

If Branch is truly "capable of doing everything he did as a Patriot", I would have him back. I would have him back as our WR3 in a second, actually. He didn't play out his contract. It's not as if he put a knife in BB's back. If the Pats' front office (who has infinitely more of a reason to be mad at him compared to the fans) is willing to have him back, then I would be behind it too.

For God's sake, some of you take this game way too seriously. You act as if he is a cheating spouse. It's also funny that many of the same people who resort to the "well, this is a business", response whenever a player complains about not getting paid by the Pats are now and have been crucifying Branch for actually recognizing that this is a business and that New England, while it might have been the best place for his talent set, wasn't the best place for him to get paid as much as possible. Yes, this IS a business and Branch recognized that.

Having said that, my primary concern with Branch is his health. As I've been saying, he's essentially played on one leg for the better part of the past four years. If the Pats' front office thinks that he's capable of finally having a full healthy season, I'm on board with it. A healthy Branch is lightyears better than a Sam Aiken in this system. However, I have serious doubts as to whether or not he's going to be able to play a full, healthy season.

I have no problem with bringing him back...provided we're not trading for him or the balance of his Seattle contract because the odds are he's not remotely worth that because of durability concerns that existed even before he left here and fell apart altogether somewhere else. I have a problem with his being disingenuous. Meion's mouth continues to write checks his performance can't cash. On a team with Moss and Welker he would be a 3rd or 4th WR at best. On a team without Welker he could need to be a 2nd or 3rd WR depending on how Edleman and Tate continue to develop. Knowing Meion for who he is my gut tells me if he's cut he will go to the highest bidder (hence his flirtation with the Bears). He still believes himself to be special, that guy who co owns a playoff record with Jerry Rice. Absent TFB he is not that guy, Brady just made him appear to be that guy. Not that he didn't have some skills and certain intangibles that made him a good fit for this QB to mold into that guy. Not sure he has retained a lot of either over the course of the last 4 seasons... So again, worth a shot if the price is right, and that price is essentially free and signed to a prove it deal.

I have no problem with bringing him back...provided we're not trading for him or the balance of his Seattle contract because the odds are he's not remotely worth that because of durability concerns that existed even before he left here and fell apart altogether somewhere else.

I wouldn't even give up a 4th for him either. That's way too much. Personally, I believe that Seattle has their best poker face on. If we want him, we can wait it out and they will most likely cut him eventually. And, one of the parameters for him to come back would definitely have to be coming down on that contract of his. He knows that as does the organization.

I have a problem with his being disingenuous. Meion's mouth continues to write checks his performance can't cash.

Once again, this is a business (as the proponents of the various trades over the years have pointed out). I just don't see how Branch not earning the big contract he got in Seattle has affected you so much as a Pats fan. Personally, I could care less. He wasn't wearing a Flying Elvis on his helmet when he was out there, was he? The only thing I care about is if he's actually capable of playing a healthy season if he's brought back. That's where my doubts lie.

On a team with Moss and Welker he would be a 3rd or 4th WR at best. On a team without Welker he could need to be a 2nd or 3rd WR depending on how Edleman and Tate continue to develop.

Well, for one, we don't know if Welker will even be available in Week 1. If he is, I highly doubt he is the same Welker we have grown accustomed to. So, not only would this (or any other receiver signing this team makes over the course of the offseason) be insurance for not having to rely a second year former quarterback and a second year receiver with prior knee issues, but it would also be an improvement over a career special teamer who saw the vast majority of his "big" catches become the result of pure luck. Either way, if he is brought in, it would look something like this...

With Welker: Branch-Welker---Moss, Branch---Welker-Moss

Without Welker: Branch-Edelman---Moss, Branch-Edelman---Moss

This assumes that Tate is kept on somewhat of a leash to start the season. It leaves out the possibility of him progressing to the WR3 role.

Knowing Meion for who he is my gut tells me if he's cut he will go to the highest bidder (hence his flirtation with the Bears). He still believes himself to be special, that guy who co owns a playoff record with Jerry Rice. Absent TFB he is not that guy, Brady just made him appear to be that guy. Not that he didn't have some skills and certain intangibles that made him a good fit for this QB to mold into that guy. Not sure he has retained a lot of either over the course of the last 4 seasons... So again, worth a shot if the price is right, and that price is essentially free and signed to a prove it deal.

You don't give Branch enough credit. Sure, Tom is GOAT candidate. However, it wasn't all him in that '04 season and Super Bowl 39. Branch routinely saw double coverage in that game and still had to get open enough for Tom to get it to him. Brady is great, but he isn't great enough to actually complete a pass THROUGH a defender. Branch had to be there. To put it simply, they both benefitted from one another, though I would have to agree that Branch benefitted a little more from the relationship.

Last edited:
He's dead to me ... really why should I care what he says?

I wouldn't even give up a 4th for him either. That's way too much. Personally, I believe that Seattle has their best poker face on. If we want him, we can wait it out and they will most likely cut him eventually. And, one of the parameters for him to come back would definitely have to be coming down on that contract of his. He knows that as does the organization.

Once again, this is a business (as the proponents of the various trades over the years have pointed out). I just don't see how Branch not earning the big contract he got in Seattle has affected you so much as a Pats fan. Personally, I could care less. He wasn't wearing a Flying Elvis on his helmet when he was out there, was he? The only thing I care about is if he's actually capable of playing a healthy season if he's brought back. That's where my doubts lie.

Well, for one, we don't know if Welker will even be available in Week 1. If he is, I highly doubt he is the same Welker we have grown accustomed to. So, not only would this (or any other receiver signing this team makes over the course of the offseason) be insurance for not having to rely a second year former quarterback and a second year receiver with prior knee issues, but it would also be an improvement over a career special teamer who saw the vast majority of his "big" catches become the result of pure luck. Either way, if he is brought in, it would look something like this...

With Welker: Branch-Welker---Moss, Branch---Welker-Moss

Without Welker: Branch-Edelman---Moss, Branch-Edelman---Moss

This assumes that Tate is kept on somewhat of a leash to start the season. It leaves out the possibility of him progressing to the WR3 role.

You don't give Branch enough credit. Sure, Tom is GOAT candidate. However, it wasn't all him in that '04 season and Super Bowl 39. Branch routinely saw double coverage in that game and still had to get open enough for Tom to get it to him. Brady is great, but he isn't great enough to actually complete a pass THROUGH a defender. Branch had to be there. To put it simply, they both benefitted from one another, though I would have to agree that Branch benefitted a little more from the relationship.

Branch missed most of that 2004 regular season. He was struggling against coverage in 2005 while chirping about his contract, which is why they tried to sign Mason.

Branch didn't just magically appear here. He was drafted in 2002 and Brady developed him. I have granted he had to be developable. But lots of guys are. Welker is. Brown was. Givens was. Patten was. I assume we will draft WR's early and late and attempt to develop them. Bill just has to focus on drafting football players and not combine fodder. I still chuckle when I recall him explaining some of his talent grabs by noting you can't coach speed. LOL The motto here should be closer to speed kills...coachability. Give me slightly less gifted effort guys every day. Football really matters guys. Even Seymour said recently that's what he'd go for if he were starting his own team...guys who have willed themselves to maximize their talent to do whatever it takes to win at any cost. Screw the combine, watch the tape...that's where they found Meion...and Branch and Brown and Welker...and even guys like Bruschi and Vrabel and Harrison...

Last edited:
Haha always love the fierce overreactions. What's Deion supposed to say? "Yea, I absolutely hate it here in Seattle and hope to GOD they trade me to NE like rumored"...

For the right price I'd be glad to see him back. If he's willing to sign similar to what the Ravens got Stallworth for it's worth the risk IMO. If healthy, he's the answer to our biggest problem on offense as a 3rd option and a stopgap while Edelman,Tate, and whoever we may draft this year progress. Cheap price to pay for somebody who can offer that much to us. If he can't stay on the field, you lose about $1M in an uncapped season. I was mad too at the way he left but sometimes you have to swallow your pride and think needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News