PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's playoff performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can blame (partially) Brady for a couple of losses from the last 7 years, but i don't think you can blame him for that one. First of all, he had no above average weapons this time, second, the Broncos D played really, really well. Everybody blasted that D this year, but people forgot it was an elite, top 5 defense last season. They had that kind of performance in them.

The Broncos D was not the reason we lost this game. We lost because our O's gameplan sucked donkey nuts.

As Steve Martin would say "excuuuuuuse me!..for making the playoffs every freakin year no matter what i have to work with."

Maybe you should route for one of those teams that never has a less than perfect playoff performance like Jacksonville, Cleveland...

Nah, I think I'll continue to root for the Patriots as I've done for many years and will continue to accurately critique their performance.
And you may continue to wear your Tom Brady feetie pajamas and stomp your feet and hold your breath as I and other pretty objective Pats fans talk about the shortcomings of this team, this QB and yesterday's game.

Brady played a level way below a guy that should be in the conversation as the greatest of all time (and to me that ship left port and sailed away in February of 2008).

With that said...
71 plays allowed, 7.1 yards per play allowed, 0 sacks, 0 turnovers, 1 hurry, 2 pressures, 0 hits, almost 37 minutes TOP allowed, a CB who can't seem to stay on the field in the last 2 AFCCG, almost 70% conversion allowed on 3rd down at one point in the game...and 507 yards of offense, the most ever for a Belichick defense.

Hard to pin the loss all on Brady when all of that happened.

I think BB's reputation as a defensive whiz has taken a big hit in recent years. I would like to think that is because he doesn't have the personnel right now. I remember all the creative stunts he used to throw at Manning and the Colts back in the day with Rodney, Law and those guys and it worked. Fast forward to yesterday and I see a 31st ranked rush defense, a pass defense that can't stop a nosebleed on 3rd down, Dennard being taken to school, and Collins somehow finding himself in a position he has no business being in, chasing J Thomas. Mismatch after mismatch after mismatch... a reminder that the good old days for this D are long in the rear view mirror :(

"Brady played a level way below a guy that should be in the conversation as the greatest of all time (and to me that ship left port and sailed away in February of 2008)."

Way off base here. He played down to the level of the talent BB gave him to work with this season.

Brady is getting older so his deep ball issue isn't going away, if anything it will get worse. What he needs is more weapon like Manning, Manning has no arm strength most of his throws are short and intermediate.

IMO it is more than valid to rate Brady based on his cap hit ... same as any other player on the team. Did he give a $14 million dollar playoff performance yesterday ... no he did not. That he had a bad day keeps coming up again and again.

That's not to say he is not appreciated ... of course he is. But like every other player on the team only an evaluation with emotion removed is valid to have a successful franchise. Brady is getting by on past performances while other players on the team are being evaluated for what they may/will give in future performances.

Brady has not had 2 consistent performances all year ... $14 million dollar players are supposed to give all-pro performances every snap. His cap hit may keep him here ... I'm not sure ... but did he show enough yesterday to warrant future promise for next years playoffs should we make them.

Lastly ... Brady has never been one to make excuses ...

So why are some fans making them for him ... he'd be the first to say he had a suck day yesterday.

I would have no problem if the rebuilding started now ... better to start a year early than a year late.

"Brady played a level way below a guy that should be in the conversation as the greatest of all time (and to me that ship left port and sailed away in February of 2008)."

Way off base here. He played down to the level of the talent BB gave him to work with this season.

Yes. Just like most QB's would.

The bar is a little higher for a guy who is supposed to be the greatest of all time at his position.

IMO it is more than valid to rate Brady based on his cap hit ... same as any other player on the team. Did he give a $14 million dollar playoff performance yesterday ... no he did not. That he had a bad day keeps coming up again and again.

That's not to say he is not appreciated ... of course he is. But like every other player on the team only an evaluation with emotion removed is valid to have a successful franchise. Brady is getting by on past performances while other players on the team are being evaluated for what they may/will give in future performances.

Brady has not had 2 consistent performances all year ... $14 million dollar players are supposed to give all-pro performances every snap. His cap hit may keep him here ... I'm not sure ... but did he show enough yesterday to warrant future promise for next years playoffs should we make them.

Lastly ... Brady has never been one to make excuses ...

So why are some fans making them for him ... he'd be the first to say he had a suck day yesterday.

I would have no problem if the rebuilding started now ... better to start a year early than a year late.

I think and hope Brady will retire a Patriot but it's not a farfetched crazy scenario that he won't. There is precedent.

Said it many times.... If Joe Montana and Peyton Manning can find themselves playing for new teams then there's no reason to think the same thing couldn't possibly happen to Brady.

Really? We're back to talking about Brady as retiring as anything other than a Patriot?

He didn't play well but let's not forget what got us to the AFC Championship game, and no, it wasn't Blount Force Trauma.

He played horrible. It was so bad it was the first Patriot game I ever stopped watching a little ways into the third quarter. Against the 49'ers I stayed and believed. Against the Broncos down 24 I stayed and believe.

Half way into the second quarter I knew it was over. The Patriots and Tom Brady played like it was week #1.

That said, next year we'll be right back where we were and when we are you can thank #12 for it.

Brady was the only reason they were even IN the game. Such an overreaction by some fans. Go back and watch the game. He missed one throw (to Edelman) and the other one to Collie was an impossibly tight window.

I chalk it up to the weapons he has. No doubt if that was Dobson instead of Edelman the catch would have been made. Its hard to expect players to make deep catches in tight windows when there isn't a receiver on the field taller than 6 foot and doesn't have dynamic speed. The window for the throw is much smaller and the margin for error is almost zero. Brady makes that throw 9/10 times, but it was not indicative of the entire game. If Brady had weapons like Manning meaning (top three of four options 6'4"+) Brady would be lethal. With the short guys who don't have game breaking speed, there isn't much room for error or many who can play outside of the slot.

O-line blew yesterday. Gave up sacks almost immediately in key situations. Brady didn't have a whole lot of time. WAY TOO MUCH INTERIOR PRESSURE. And it wasn't like it was stunting or anything complex; it was just guys Mankins-Wendell-Connolly getting straight up beat by the guy across from them.

Running game could NOT get going at all. Blount 5 carries for 6 yards!

Brady was the only reason they were even in the game. Team over achieved this season. Brady's legacy is secure. Most playoff wins, 2nd most playoff TDs, etc. If he gets another ring before he retires it puts him over the top.... I would like to see him get 2!:rocker:

Brady was the only reason they were even in the game. Team over achieved this season. Brady's legacy is secure. Most playoff wins, 2nd most playoff TDs, etc. If he gets another ring before he retires it puts him over the top.... I would like to see him get 2!:rocker:

It would be silly to question Brady's legacy. But he has played awful-to-mediocre more often than not in the playoffs for the last 7 years and counting. And he would even admit that. That is a fact. And a disconcerting one about a guy who we would like to think is the greatest.

The Patriots probably could have won or at least kept it close with Brady putting in that performance if the defense would have bothered showing up. Although you can't blame them for getting shredded when they were missing half their starters.

Give him a true #1 WR and healthy top flight TE, better o-line that can actually pass protect in big games, a d-line that can actually create pressure and a better secondary that doesn't give up 3rd and forever and he will actually play like a top flight QB. Is that asking too much?

This is complete BS. This is the thing, everyone will now say (at least until the Super Bowl) that Manning passed another "can't win the big game" hurdle. But, that was never in dispute. Manning can win any big game as long as he doesn't experience any tension (i.e. he plays from ahead). And that is where Brady failed miserably yesterday. The true test of Manning's fragile psyche can only be tested by pressure (e.g. pass rush, playing from behind, things don't go his way during the game, etc). For the Patriots to have had any chance to win this game they would have had to bring some type of pressure to bear on Manning and the best chance of that was not the pass rush or the refs - it was Brady. To have any chance we needed Brady to bring his "A" game. He didn't bring it, so we had no chance. If he doesn't challenge Denver's best cover corner w/ a little used Collie leading to a quick first series 3 and out, if he doesn't try a bomb to Slater (fu----g Slater) on 3rd and 3 leading to a quick second series 3 and out, if he hits Edelmann and we go up 7-0, if, if, if, then who knows. But, alas, Brady reverted to recent "big game" form. His post seasons since 2005 or 6 have had too many duds in big spots. In short, he bailed Manning out and that's why I'm so pissed at his performance.

You can blame (partially) Brady for a couple of losses from the last 7 years, but i don't think you can blame him for that one. First of all, he had no above average weapons this time, second, the Broncos D played really, really well. Everybody blasted that D this year, but people forgot it was an elite, top 5 defense last season. They had that kind of performance in them.

Brady can't be blamed for any loss. He just hasn't been his "best Brady" in too many of the playoff losses now. The defense has, obviously, been less than stellar. But the funny thing is, in many of these losses it has been our putrid defenses that have somewhat stepped up and our vaunted offenses that have underachieved. It really has sucked. It's not like we've been losing 38-34 in these games. The defense has pretty much played to its ability, with the offense consistently playing at a level significantly inferior to its regular season billing. I mean:

Points scored by the vaunted (Top 3-5) Pats offenses in playoff losses last 5 years.
'14.....16
'13.....13
'12.....17
'11.....21
'10.....14

That's pretty damning shat, and gave us no chance to win with the defenses we've been putting out there.

Brady can't be blamed for any loss. He just hasn't been his "best Brady" in too many of the playoff losses now. The defense has, obviously, been less than stellar. But the funny thing is in many of these losses it been our putrid defense that has stepped up with our vaunted offenses underachieving. It really has sucked. It's not like we've been losing 38-34 in these games. The defense has pretty much played to its ability, with the offense consistently playing at a level significantly inferior to its regular season billing.

In most of the playoff losses, the opposing O has played the game the way the Patriots used to win. Ball control, keep the ball away from the opposing O. Excluding the 2 Ravens games and the Jets game when Brady looked awful and the offense was whipped, it's been mostly: DON'T GIVE BRADY THE BALL.

When Brady has had the ball in those big games, he moved the offense. 2011 Super Bowl, AFCCG in 2011, AFCCG in 2007. That people forget what occurred in those games i strange to me. The Giants started off with a 10 minute drive. The Patriots then gave a safety (which should never have been called a safety) and the Giants got the ball right back. Brady didn't even get a drive until the second qtr., and when he did, he struck back with 2 drives and 10 points. This was without a healthy Gronkowski, mind you. In the 3rd qtr., he cooked, tying an NFL record for consecutive completions. In the 4th qtr., hey were going in for the kill, 5 straight passes for first downs all the way downfield, before Bill O'Brien went jumbo package run--they were stuffed--then the throw to Welker, and game winning Super Bowl drive became a non event. Manning gets the ball at the 12, throws a crazy pass to Manningham on the sideline on a crucial 4th down, and the next thing you know, the Patriots are down 4 with less than a minute. After 2 more dropped passes, one by Branch, he connects on 4th down with Branch for 20 yards. He connects again with Braanch, and brings them within Hail Mary distance. He launches it and it falls an inch from a hobbled Gronk's hands.

The Chargers AFCCG is called a bad game by Brady but the truth is the Patriots just sat on the lead and took the air out of the ball. They had control there the whole way.

He definitely has had bad games, but he's also had several very good games. Guess what? It's the playoffs. Look at some of Montana's numbers. Not pretty.

Has anyone noticed how Brady's playoff performance has declined since his SB years? He has rarely come up in the clutch for us since 2005. Is he getting a free pass now because of those 4 early years?

Well I will play Devils Advocate and comment on the excuses/reasons for issues in Brady's playoff losses.

2005- Throws near pick 6 and loses vs Denver

Played game with Sports Hernia not sure how much his performance was affected by this injury. Bad Decision on the pick by C Bailey.

2006- Throws 3 picks vs Chargers and gets baiiled out. Loses 18 point halftime lead and throws pick to end the game

Bad game against Charger Team. Put up 34 on Colts. D collapse in 2nd half. BTW Caldwell drops sure TD pass that was perfect throw.

2007- Mediocre game vs Chargers. Only puts up 14 vs an average Giants defense despite having the record for most points scored ever.

Has high ankle sprain 3 days before SB game vs Giants, is rendered immobile and OL gets overwhelmed by 4 man pass rush. In spite of this throws go ahead TD and puts pats in lead with 2 min to go.

2009- Lays an egg vs Baltimore at home

Watch 'a Football life' and gets back to us about the quality of that Pats team and the state of the O that year as per BB.

2010- Repeats the previous years performance vs the Jets at home
[/quote]

Let's see ball bounces of BJGE for int. A Crun=mpler drops TD pass in End Zonme that hits him in the hands. Chung improvises and set up Jets for TD just before the half. However Ryan had a great Game plan the Pats never adjusted to.

2011- Only puts up 17 points vs Giants and throws a critical 4th quarter INT

Yeah he set record for consecutive completions, is hit and has shoulder separated shoulder and his performance suffers, however he was stilled a dropped Welker pass away from winning the game.

2012- Awful game vs Baltimore

Didn't have a very good game however Gronk goes down early, no threat outside the numbers and Welker had a couple of drops one of which became an int, bye Wes W.

2013- Gets outplayed by Manning and misses crucial deep balls to open receivers

Yeah he over threw 2 passes, cut him and put in Mallet :rolleyes:. Having Gronk and having better wideouts plus a running game that was working great.....oh wait.

The offense averaged 17.8 PPG in those 8 losses.

Some 'fans' don't appreciate what they are seeing, perhaps it is because they don't understand the game. You are 'rooting' for one of the 2-3 best QB's in the history of the game.

This is the early clubhouse leader for worst post of the year.

It's not like we've been losing 38-34 in these games. The defense has pretty much played to its ability, with the offense consistently playing at a level significantly inferior to its regular season billing.
Not if you adjust for the number of drives. On a per-drive basis, the offense yesterday scored about 90% as many points as during the regular season, while the defense allowed about twice as many as they did during the regular season. I'm pretty sure the 2011 Super Bowl was similar, but I'm going to refrain from going back and reliving that to crunch the numbers. If the defense gives up multiple 7 minute drives, then they're not going to allow a ton of points, but that's still a sign of awful defense.

I posted this before the SB in 2012, judging from the title of the thread its still applicable.

I went back and looked at TB's playoff states from Snow bowl game until last weeks with Baltimore. I only focused on TD's vs INT's

From 2002 to 2005 11 TD's 3 IINT's

From 2006 to 2112 25 TD's 16 INT's

I chose 2006 to differentiate because it was the first playoff game (denver) that TB threw more than 1 INT (i actually that it was more). It was also his First playoff loss, up until tha game he was 10-0. I had to use more than one site to get the figures. It was 330 am when i started trying to count up the INT. vs TD i'm not sure i added them up correctly, but it should be close.

Tom Brady Gamelogs and Game Logs | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Tom Brady Has Only Played One Good Playoff Game Since 2008, And We Have No Idea Why - Business Insider

2008 against the Giants: 29/48, 266 yards, 1 TD, 5.54 yards per attempt
2009 against the Ravens: 23/42, 154 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 3.67 yards per attempt
2011 against the Jets: 29/45, 299 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 6.64 yards per attempt
2012 against the Broncos: 26/34, 363 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 10.68 yards per attempt
2012 against the Ravens: 22/36, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 6.64 yards per attempt
The Broncos game was his only truly good game, the first Ravens game was his only truly bad game, and the other three were below average compared to Brady's regular season numbers.

"But another theory is that the league's best teams — despite all the chatter over the NFL becoming an offense-first league — still consistently have the best defenses.

"Every Pats opponent except the '11 Broncos and the '08 Giants had a top-5 scoring defense, and that Giants team didn't allow more than 20 points in any playoff game that year."

"But Brady was excelling against the stiff competition in the playoffs between 2002-05. So why has he fallen off recently?"

I have a couple of theories one of which is that in the first 4-5 years the offense was more diversified, it was balanced more between pass vs run with Smith and Dillon. After Dillon it became more of a passing offense that relied more heavily on Brady to make it function. Opposing defenses could focus on stopping TB.

The other i mentioned before a couple of times, hes pressing for what ever reason. Maybe trying to hard to live up to the legend he created.

After the loss to Indy in the AFCCG in 07 the pats became more of an offensive minded team, therefor more points had to be scored, and TB had to throw more. Up until then the Pats were a team with a very good defense that kept the other team in check. They didn't need to score a lot of points to win.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00_playoffs.htm

ttp://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-playoff-stats-2012-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft