PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's calls at the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
So what's "Omaha" mean?

And what's the female names he calls out? (Sarah was one of them)

What's the ever-present "120"?

Have any of you deciphered any of Brady's signals?

Last edited:
He's been calling Omaha for as long as I can remember.

Yeah Omaha goes back years.

I THINK it has something to do with the snap count since it tends to be the last thing he yells.

I always hear "Right 20". I think that's what he's been saying.

"Omaha" means snap the ball on the next sound Brady makes.

That call's the same in a lot of offenses

3 digit numbers are protection schemes usually, not sure on the female names, 'alert' tells the receiver designated as the hot receiver to go 'hot' because he has read pre-snap that they are blitzing, not totally sure on Omaha. My guess is that is an 'indicator' word that turns the audible that he has called on or off. But also I think you hear '120' when he says 'red 20' which I would guess is a dummy audible or another indicator similar to Omaha. These are all just guesses on my part, with the exception of the 3 digit numbers being protection schemes. That I am sure of, because that is not unique to the Pats.

Edit: The above posters are right about Omaha.

Last edited:

Great audio tonight from a fan's perspective. Twice I heard him yell the name of the hot read before calling Omaha. First he looked left (where Gaffney was in the slot) and said "Jab. Omaha. Hut" and took one step and threw it to him. Later he looked to his right (Welker was slot left) and said "Wes. Omaha. Hut" and threw it to Welker. It seemed amazing that he'd call out their name for the defence to hear.

Last edited:
Great audio tonight from a fan's perspective. Twice I heard him yell the name of the hot read before calling Omaha. First he looked left (where Gaffney was in the slot) and said "Jab. Omaha. Hut" and took one step and threw it to him. Later he looked to his right (Welker was slot left) and said "Wes. Omaha. Hut" and threw it to Welker. It seemed amazing that he'd call out there name for the defence to hear.

That is very surprising.

yes, the audio was pretty cool tonight.

I could have sworn I heard Brady point and call out I think a linebackers number and said he has wheels

Not for nothing but if you are correct then the defense has the same chance as the offense to get off the ball for they would know the nest sound is it....that can not be its meaning at least not all the time.

Great audio tonight from a fan's perspective. Twice I heard him yell the name of the hot read before calling Omaha. First he looked left (where Gaffney was in the slot) and said "Jab. Omaha. Hut" and took one step and threw it to him. Later he looked to his right (Welker was slot left) and said "Wes. Omaha. Hut" and threw it to Welker. It seemed amazing that he'd call out their name for the defence to hear.

Wow, didn't catch that. Seems sort of dangerous. You'd think it would make a lot more sense to identify specific players relative to the play being called. Or at least create some pseudonyms for the receivers and change them each game!

As an interesting note, it appears "Omaha" has a special meaning in the west coast offense:

Three-Step Drop- This type of pass is designed to be the ball control portion of the passing game. A three-drop is the most appropriate play to use for "taking what the defense gives you."

The three most basic plays that use the three-step drop combination are the quick out (Omaha), slant (Lion) and Hitch (Thunder). These pass plays are most often utilized (though not always) as part of the audible process.

At one point, Brady called "Randy, Randy inside" - I found it very strange! It ended up being a pass to Watson, but I was baffled that he called out a player name. On the post game show they mentioned it and said it was Brady checking off, but never have I heard a QB call out a name of a player at the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
Loved hearing the audibles. Good insight in this thread. Wish I had it recorded so I could try to find some of the patterns.

"OMAHA"

It means the clock is running down, go on the next signal. That's why sometimes you hear simply "GO!" after the Omaha call. Sometimes Brady will call a dummy Omaha where he'll use a hard count to try to draw the DL off. I have a copy of the Paytriots playbook on file somewhere. It's very interesting to read all of the subtleties that go into that Offense. It's like studying a foreign language.

The dummy Omaha thing makes sense. That way it's not a sure thing for the D line.
How'd you get a copy of the playbook?

The dummy Omaha thing makes sense. That way it's not a sure thing for the D line.
How'd you get a copy of the playbook?

Mangini posted it online. No, it's really been floating around for awhile. I'm sure there've been countless changes to the actual one that they use, but the overall structure of the Offense is there.

At one point, Brady called "Randy, Randy inside" - I found it very strange! It ended up being a pass to Watson, but I was baffled that he called out a player name. On the post game show they mentioned it and said it was Brady checking off, but never have I heard a QB call out a name of a player at the line of scrimmage.

He also called "Gaff!" before throwing a screen to him.

Per the Patriots' playbook:

The QB may put the team into action 7 ways:

6) Omaha. The QB may call "Omaha" as the offensive unit is breaking the huddle. This means the 40/25 second clock is running out and we must get to the LOS quickly. Any shifting or movement called in the huddle is off and you should align in what would be the finished formation. The ball will be snapped on the 2nd sound - "Blue GO."

My wife picked it up and I thought she was hearing things, I tend to miss a lot of conversation.. interesting.. there has to be something to it, on one hand it seems simple.. but has to be more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents