PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Welker got a CB canned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to be fair we don't know if Sapp had also been stinking it up in practice and preseason, so maybe this is more than just a knee jerk reaction. That being said, the ENTIRE dolphins secondary got shredded last night so I don't see how you could blame any one guy for what happened. Dolphins passrush was also pretty weak/swallowed up by the Pats OL so I think that is also a factor that shouldn't be ignored.

On some plays Brady had time for a beverage and a god d@mn snack, no corners can cover forever.

Last edited:
Well to be fair we don't know if Sapp had also been stinking it up in practice and preseason, so maybe this is more than just a knee jerk reaction. That being said, the ENTIRE dolphins secondary got shredded last night so I don't see how you could blame any one guy for what happened. Dolphins passrush was also pretty weak/swallowed up by the Pats OL so I think that is also a factor that shouldn't be ignored.

Right, you hope that they weren't making the decision based on last nights game. Even Davis and Smith looked gassed the entire game. At least Sapp was around the ball and stayed on the field

Forgot to mention, and nobody has yet brought it up here: the primary reason Welker went 99 yards isn't because of Sapp's trail coverage, but because the Cover 1 safety on the play undercut Welker's route going for the pick instead of staying over the top. Sapp was obviously expecting help over the top and a regular crossing route from Welker and didn't get either.

Presuming the Dolphins are competent, Sapp was released for reasons beyond Welker's TD.

You beat me to it. Bruschi said the same thing about the safety being at fault on EEI this afternoon.

You beat me to it. Bruschi said the same thing about the safety being at fault on EEI this afternoon.

Every blind squirrel breaks a clock every once in while.

Every blind squirrel breaks a clock every once in while.

OK Perfessor Corey....

corey.jpg

Presuming the Dolphins are competent, Sapp was released for reasons beyond Welker's TD.

There's a reason some folks call 'em the LOLphins. :p

I'd laugh if the Pats picked up Benny Sapp as a 5th Corner and he ended up being a standout on the team.. *LOL*

... becomes a pro-bowler and in a few years schools a Dolphins WR... who subsequently finds his way onto the Patriots roster......

Player Who Couldn't Cover Welker Cut

The Dolphins cut Benny Sapp, who gave up the 99 yard TD to Wes Welker.

I see Rex Ryan picking him up - Ba ba ba Benny and the Jets! :)

EDIT: Oops. I see another post about this. Please merge.

Last edited:
NFL.com news: Dissecting the play that cost Dolphins' Sapp his job

I'm not sure which of the following facts from Lombardi's column is better proof of LOLphins being LOLphins:

(1) The only reason the Patriots ran the play was because Brady read the coverage early in the down and knew Sapp could not cover Welker. To make matters worse, Nolan also knew Sapp could not cover Welker. So why did Nolan take the chance? Did he think Brady would see the coverage and ignore the best matchup on the field?

In other words, blame Nolan for "the play that got Sapp canned."(*)

(2) And don't forget that because Sapp is a vested veteran, his contract is guaranteed for the season and Miami has to pay him anyway. If he was good enough to make the team and get the guarantee, then how can one bad play cost him his job?

:rofl:

(*)That said, Sapp did have an almost Alphonso Smith-type day against the Patriots; I'm fairly sure GRONK burned him on his TD, too.

I guess sporano's logic for cutting players is as follows: make 1 play in the game and get owned the rest of the game = cut. In this case I guess cameron wake needs to ne cut as well. :)

Wow, the Pats got the ST coach canned after the first meeting last year and the CB this year. Who is next? I'd hate to play the Pats if I was anyone in the organization. I'd call in sick that day.

Wow, the Pats got the ST coach canned after the first meeting last year and the CB this year. Who is next? I'd hate to play the Pats if I was anyone in the organization. I'd call in sick that day.

Hopefully their offensive coord.

I feel sorry for the poor sapp unemployed.
But then I just hope that he doesn't decide to name Brady in an unemployment lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News