PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Herald: Pats close to re-signing Vollmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one question about a stat that kind of surprised me after hearing this non-stop barrage about Volmer's injury riddled past season. How are you "injury riddled" when you play 88% of your team's offensive snaps

....And before Andy says how he sucked, so its irrelevant that he played, let me remind him and you that while BB was outspoken in his praise of Marcus Cannon and his improved play; he STILL wasn't good enough to beat out Volmer....who played at a high level all year, DESPITE his problems.

BTW- I'm not saying that his back shouldn't be a significant issue in resigning him. Far from it. But also we should recognize that in 3 of his 4 season Volmer only missed 3 games combined.

My working theory of why the Pats free agency plans seemed to have come to a screeching stop last Friday is that the Pats initially had no plans to bring Vollmer back believing Cannon was a capable replacement and the market for his services would be richer than they would want to pay.

Then, the slow market for tackles brought his demands back into an area where the Patriots had to give it serious consideration. Vollmer is a very good right tackle, and his injury issues consists of a back issue he's dealt with since college and only prevented him from being a productive player in 2011 and a knee condition which impacted his effectiveness down the stretch in 2012.

Personally, I hope Vollmer is resigned to a long-term contract in the $5.5 to 6 million dollar a year range. Given the back issues, it's probably a pretty complicated contract to negotiate which is why it's taking so much time. I'd much rather use money and cap space to secure my OL (you could kick Cannon inside) than spend the money on a part-time pass rusher who might not be much more effective than Justin Francis despite his big name or a RFA WR who would be, at best, the 4th receiving option after Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola.

My working theory of why the Pats free agency plans seemed to have come to a screeching stop last Friday is that the Pats initially had no plans to bring Vollmer back believing Cannon was a capable replacement and the market for his services would be richer than they would want to pay.

Then, the slow market for tackles brought his demands back into an area where the Patriots had to give it serious consideration. Vollmer is a very good right tackle, and his injury issues consists of a back issue he's dealt with since college and only prevented him from being a productive player in 2011 and a knee condition which impacted his effectiveness down the stretch in 2012.

Personally, I hope Vollmer is resigned to a long-term contract in the $5.5 to 6 million dollar a year range. Given the back issues, it's probably a pretty complicated contract to negotiate which is why it's taking so much time. I'd much rather use money and cap space to secure my OL (you could kick Cannon inside) than spend the money on a part-time pass rusher who might not be much more effective than Justin Francis despite his big name or a RFA WR who would be, at best, the 4th receiving option after Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola.

I think Vollmer's price is going to be below $6M per, perhaps under $4.5.

If its under 4.5 per, you offer Vollmer a playing time incentive friendly deal immediately. When he's a go, he's one of, if not the, best RT's in all of football.

The relevant question is if the value of Vollmer's play over Cannon is of more value than X million spent on another position on the team, ie upgrading our interior pass rush or nickel pass rush.

If there were a suitable candidate to spend X million on (ie Abraham?) then, I would say no. Cannon, who looked god awful in preseason, looked fine as the year progressed. One would expect that trend to continue, and the coaching staff seems to think he has a high ceiling.

However, if the X in this equation <= $5 million AAV on a short term deal, I sign Vollmer anyway. We'd still have money to address the interior rush.

So, in the end, I think Talib's deal is what Vollmer gets. It's sort of a luxury for the Pats, but it's a luxury they can afford.

Oh i hope. First they get rid of Cant believe its not butter resign Talib and Seabass. We got Armstead Danny Boi Ballard Wilson. This offseason is giving me a raging clue. Armstead so underated on this board. He was top 15 pick before his heart attack. With Ballard, Ahern Gonna be that big WR we been dreaming im calling it. Sad to see Woody go.

And his post heart attack 40 was the best of any post heart attack prospect at the Canadien Combine.

Good thing they got rid of Welker, he should really hurt the Broncos chances

The relevant question is if the value of Vollmer's play over Cannon is of more value than X million spent on another position on the team, ie upgrading our interior pass rush or nickel pass rush.

If there were a suitable candidate to spend X million on (ie Abraham?) then, I would say no. Cannon, who looked god awful in preseason, looked fine as the year progressed. One would expect that trend to continue, and the coaching staff seems to think he has a high ceiling.

However, if the X in this equation <= $5 million AAV on a short term deal, I sign Vollmer anyway. We'd still have money to address the interior rush.

So, in the end, I think Talib's deal is what Vollmer gets. It's sort of a luxury for the Pats, but it's a luxury they can afford.

The relevant question is how much a beating Brady takes if Cannon isn't good enough to protect him properly. If they can get Vollmer done for 4/24/12 with some injury protection they should do it. He's a really good tackle and he would be very difficult to replace.

I truly doubt Vollmer accepts a one year contract which could be the holdup. Everyone talks about the Patriots needing to protect themselves because of Vollmer's back issues, but that works both ways. Vollmer should push for every guaranteed dollar he can get in this contract because of his back. If I was him, I'd trade a lower AAV for more upfront or guaranteed money.

Unlike Talib who got 1st round money on his 1st contract and plays a position where he's involved in contact every 5th play or so, Vollmer was a lowly 2nd round pick who made significantly less on his rookie deal and plays a position involving contact on every play.

Close? Seems like we're caught in a Zeno's Paradox vortex with Vollmer, Abraham and maybe Sanders.

Close? Seems like we're caught in a Zeno's Paradox vortex with Vollmer, Abraham and maybe Sanders.

Damn, I had figured we were trapped in Zeno's Paradox Vortex with Abraham and Sanders, but not Vollmer too? Say it ain't so Pissah.

Vollmer should push for every guaranteed dollar he can get in this contract because of his back.

There's the problem though. "Pay me because I might not be healthy for much longer" is not a very attractive thing.

His 2011 season was derailed by injury, and his effectiveness was hindered in 2012. He's 28 with a history of back problems dating back to college. He was dominant in 2010, but we're two years removed from that level of consistency.

For him, a one year deal provides him with the chance to re-establish that level of performance and hope next year's market is better. For the Pats, it helps them determine if the lack of durability that has hindered him the last two years is a more permanent thing.

Attachments

• Xena.jpg
    Xena.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 91
There's the problem though. "Pay me because I might not be healthy for much longer" is not a very attractive thing.

For him, a one year deal provides him with the chance to re-establish that level of performance and hope next year's market is better. For the Pats, it helps them determine if the lack of durability that has hindered him the last two years is a more permanent thing.

Obviously, you wouldn't advertise that. But, it has to be a consideration for him as well as the Patriots and other teams which might be involved. With the predicted flat cap again next year, why is the market going to improve, and, if his back injury is chronic, how is it going to be any better next off-season?

I'm working on the assumption that there is competition out there for him. The Dolphins need a tackle and still have enough cap space to be able to pay out more in a 1 year deal than the Patriots. They could even justify it by having him play LT for them.

You may very well be right. But, I'm thinking that if the patriots retain him it will be for a longer term than one year.

I'd rather be caught in Xena's vortex.

Lucy's too big to play slot receiver or CB for the Pats

Besides, she's a cylon :eek:

MODS: Can we suspend the rules and allow pics of her from Spartacus to be posted here?

did you just post "slot receiver"?

yes...yes you did....either I'm a dirty minded old man or you are...or perhaps both

The joke is so far over your head right now that it is funny.

I originally edited my post from having no smilies to having 2 to indicate the joke. But even that flew over his head :D

I'd agree that NE is certainly looking for something below 6 million per, but I would think that 4.5 would be borderline insulting at the same time--especially since the guaranteed money is only likely to be 1/3.

I'd think that if they got him down to something between 5 and 5.5 they should be fairly happy.

Just one question about a stat that kind of surprised me after hearing this non-stop barrage about Volmer's injury riddled past season. How are you "injury riddled" when you play 88% of your team's offensive snaps

....And before Andy says how he sucked, so its irrelevant that he played, let me remind him and you that while BB was outspoken in his praise of Marcus Cannon and his improved play; he STILL wasn't good enough to beat out Volmer....who played at a high level all year, DESPITE his problems.

BTW- I'm not saying that his back shouldn't be a significant issue in resigning him. Far from it. But also we should recognize that in 3 of his 4 season Volmer only missed 3 games combined.

Great post, Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back