PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gawd! This terrific Borges thing and all the Pats great FA activity and tomorrow AM I leave the country and internet access for 10 days. Bummer.
No internet access? Where the hell are you going, man? :)

......man, that layup was too easy!

Does this make Ron Borges officially "duplicitous pond scum"?

Oh, the delicious irony.

It does, but the quote is from Kevin Mannix.

I didn't ask you to pray at any alter pal, so don't give me that ****. You gave your opinion but the minute I respond I'm asking you to pray to an alter?

That's as lazy a debate style as there is.

I'm asking you to be fair and what the man has done - along with a full-time job and family - for the past four years.

You don't think there's a slightest chance that the Globe's action tonight was in ANY way influenced by the work that people like Bruce and Kerry have been doing for years?

"Fairly or unfairly I expect a lot more from him." Oh, okay. That makes sense.
No you are not asking me to pray at his altar (that was a bombastik response to your bombastik post). You are getting pissed off because I dared to critique him. He is your friend and you can't handle other people critisising him. That is fine. I am the same way about my friends.
Now as far as me not acknowledging his work, how about you calm down a bit and read my previous post. In the first 3 sentences I think I'm doing just that.
As far as me not thinking that his previous work has influenced the Globe again you are wrong. The fact that I'm disapointed stems because he has done so much allready with far less.
As for the last paragraph I will not even bother answering it.

If you got caught plagiarising in college you'd be kicked out right then and there.

No you wouldn't. You'd get a zero for the paper, probably fail the course. Maybe you'd be suspended a semester. But colleges do NOT routinely expel students for garden-variety plagiarism. (Sometime I'll tell you about the time in grad school when some of my fellow TAs tried to get members of our div 1A football team punished for blatant cheating on a test. Ha, good luck little TAs.)

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy...

Amen to that!

I wrote in to the Ombudsman a couple of times about his bad REPORTING -- e.g., cases where I was pretty sure he'd fabricated a source -- but that kind of thing tends to get lost in the general vitriol spewed the Globe's way about his OPINIONS.

In one case I actually got a nice note back thanking me for having been polite in my criticism :), but that's as far as the response went.

I'm a journalist and what's weird about this whole story is how pointless it is. It takes almost no time at all to toss off a notes column of the sort that Borges was supposed to write. Literally that kind of thing takes a half-hour for someone who's a) literate and b) reads even a little bit of football news. Stealing a column like that -- from a source that's on the internet for everyone to see -- that's a huge, huge risk for a journalist to take for a very small return. You'd have to be either pathologically lazy or have a substance abuse problem to steal a column like that, considering the risks. And yes, I know about the "notes" network that these guys use. That makes it even worse. These guys have this material gift-wrapped for them -- all Borges has to do is rewrite the stuff, a process basically as easy as taking dictation, and he couldn't even do that. Incidentally, just because there is such a notes network, you're not obligated to use that material. You don't see Peter King churning out crap like that because Peter King actually picks up the phone more than once a month. Borges is a disgraceful hack, an embarrassment to the profession. I'm actually sort of upset that it took this to get him suspended, because he deserved to be fired just for sucking.

I'm also a journalist, spent 17 years in newspapers, part of it as a sportswriter/editor, now a magazine publisher. I used to do exactly what Borges does (did) -- cobble together news and notes into a catch-all column. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for his plagiarizing. No chance of a "mistake," oversight, etc. He knew damn well what he was doing and thought his lazy ass could get away with it. He committed a cardinal sin and absolutely should be canned for it. Hell, he could've used stuff from the AP wire verbatim and filled his column with it, no problem. Or, he could've taken the Tacoma guy's info and re-written it in his own style, though that would've been questionable/lazy enough. What he did, for a guy in his position, was simply mindbogglingly stupid or pathologically arrogant. Either way, he should be outta there.

If a professor or grad student at any reputable university did something similar, they would be fired or expelled.

Not quite true. Significant consequences ensue, but not on the level you're suggesting.

Actually, I had a nasty little career reversal last fall in that I lost a very visible column gig. (Computerworld) I didn't do anything wrong, but my editor got fired for plagiarism herself. And the new guy -- actually, her boss stepping in personally -- didn't like my work nearly as well as the old editor did.

But then, other evidence suggests he was looking for an excuse to fire her anyway (e.g., he disagreed with her policy on choice of columnists ...).

Looks good on Ronnie.

Thankfully the internet allowed this to spread like wildfire. Who knows. If enough people write into the hall of fame selection people maybe they'll kick him off that committee. Wouldn't that pi$$ him off.

This news was almost as good as the signing of Adalius Thomas. "Borges, I know you read this website and others. Most of us are glad we won't have to read your crap for 2 months. I pray your hopefully not temporary successor takes note of all your negativity and chooses to use his time to find insightful articles to write about. There are plenty there if you are willing to look for them."

"Somehow I honestly feel sorry for you Ron. I know I shouldn't for the way you are bashing the greatest Coach in Patriots history. But I do. I feel sorry for you and the shame you must be feeling right now. Serious,serious accusations against yourself. That poor almost no name writer who is trying to make his way in the journalistic world must feel kind of betrayed if all accounts are true. Shame."

Butch Stearns--temporarily the worst sports journalist in Boston--just said on Channel 25 news that Borges has told him (over the phone) to "call the Seattle reporter" for the story. Stearns also said that he has "read both articles" and that they are "similar," but "Plagiarism? I don't think so."

What a disgrace this guy is. I hope the rest of Boston media doesn't pull the same s*hit.

Last edited:
Butch Stearns--temporarily the worst sports journalist in Boston--just said on Channel 25 news that Borges has told him (over the phone) to "call the Seattle reporter" for the story. Stearns also said that he has "read both articles" and that they are "similar," but "Plagiarism? I don't think so."

What a disgrace this guy is. I hope the rest of Boston media doesn't pull the same s*hit.

Stearns has been apologizing for Borges for years. I have no idea what is going on between these two.

Stearns has been apologizing for Borges for years. I have no idea what is going on between these two.

I don't either; I'm also amazed that an illiterate dimwit like Butch Stearns is allowed to open his dumba*s mouth on television and radio on any subject.

What does that mean, "call the Seattle reporter"? And it's "similar", but not plagiarism? "Similar" in the sense that entire parts of the article are copied verbatim, that kind of "similar"?

What does that mean, "call the Seattle reporter"? And it's "similar", but not plagiarism? "Similar" in the sense that entire parts of the article are copied verbatim, that kind of "similar"?

It means that Butch Stearns is Borges's little b*itch, nothing more.

Last edited:

Stearns has decided to jump onto Borges' sinking ship, for whatever reason.

"$h!t can Ron Borges,

Now you have a legitimate excuse to rid your newspaper of that deplorable floatsam and his disgusting, unprofessoinal, obviously personal agenda driven trash.

It is amazing you have pumped out his vitriolic garbage this long. It is the epitome of unprofessionalism to allow your personal vandetta to infest your work like he has.

His smarmy articles smack of condesention and arrogance. The man has obvious issues and probably a substance abuse problem.

Do the right thing."

Letter sent to the Globe...just trying to do my part.

Someone may have said it but I am not going thru a 100 post thread on this jerk. let me say to bad there is no way for him to serve the suspension during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST