PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much did that "ruin" Barnicle? He laughed all the way to Imus, MSNBC and the bank (not necessarily in that order).

He'll be known as "Ron Forges" for life!

If "seattlestatesman" ever comes to Boston, there are alot of Pats fans who would like to buy him a drink.

My own thoughts on the subject:

I write for a newspaper and every sportswriter I've talked to today has said the same thing: "That's what a notes column is!"

Read the notes column on a given Sunday around NFL cities and you will see many of the same stories with a small change in verbage thrown in here or there.

That's the same thing that Borges did... heck, even Michael Felger (we assume) defended him.

The statement at the bottom of the column IS the disclaimer.

Hate him if you want. Be glad he's gone.

But he's not a plagiarist.

That leads to two questions:

1. Why is The Boston Globe suspending him (a bone to Pats' fans, some other performance issue)?

2. How hard will his union fight this? My guess... tooth and nail.

At any rate, as someone in the business (who reads weekly notes columns from all over for a radio show), this isn't plagiarism. Borges didn't try to pass off someone else's work as his own. The line at the bottom of the column makes that clear.

You mean his lawyer? The only case he would have is unlawful termination, and I doubt he'd have any chance of making a case.

Oh wait, no, his nonexistent union will be fighting this one tooth and nail (you must know this one because you work for a paper). Who's ever heard of a sportswriter union? There's no collective bargaining agreement amongst journalists because they're paid by individual companies, not a state or organization. Journalists don't go on strike.

You don't work for a paper, give me a break.

Last edited:

I write for a newspaper and every sportswriter I've talked to today has said the same thing: "That's what a notes column is!"

Read the notes column on a given Sunday around NFL cities and you will see many of the same stories with a small change in verbage thrown in here or there.

That's the same thing that Borges did... heck, even Michael Felger (we assume) defended him.

1. Why is The Boston Globe suspending him (a bone to Pats' fans, some other performance issue)?

At any rate, as someone in the business (who reads weekly notes columns from all over for a radio show), this isn't plagiarism. Borges didn't try to pass off someone else's work as his own. The line at the bottom of the column makes that clear.

You're killin me!:rofl:

Why are you even using the name RonBorges as a username, are you looking for attention? Why are you trying to pass yourself off as borges? :confused:

Yeah, his nonexistent union will be fighting this one tooth and nail. Who's ever heard of a sportswriter union?

It's called the Newspaper Guild and is a closed shop (I believe) at the Globe. All writers/reporters and non-management types are members. It does have clout with management.

Last edited:

Casale, is that you again...

It's called the Newspaper Guild and is a closed shop (I believe) at the Globe. It does have clout with management.

A guild is different than a union. Guilds don't have reps and aren't an entity unto themselves, they're just bands of people in a similar profession who are capable of demanding higher wages by threatening strike. They would be able to pressure management to rescind, but its unlikely they'd be able to fund legal action. Borges himself is more than wealthy enough to do so, however, but I don't believe there's any case.

A guild is different than a union. Guilds don't have reps and aren't an entity unto themselves, they're just bands of people in a similar profession who are capable of demanding higher wages by threatening strike. They would be able to pressure management to rescind, but its unlikely they'd be able to fund legal action. Borges himself is more than wealthy enough to do so, however, but I don't believe there's any case.

No, that's the name of the union, not a description. The Newspaper Guild IS a national union that negotiates contracts for individual chapter units. At one time I believe both the Globe and Herald were part of the same unit and they may still be. The union most assuredly will represent Borges vs. the Globe in this case. It all depends on what evidence management comes up with to justify termination, and no doubt they had to make sure they were within contractual specifications for suspending him.

I was a member at a couple papers I worked for, both in the Midwest and here in Mass., so I know how they work.

Last edited:
No, that's the name of the union, not a description. The Newspaper Guild IS a national union that negotiates contracts for individual chapter units. They most assuredly will represent Borges vs. the Globe in this case. It all depends on what evidence management comes up with to justify termination, and no doubt they had to make sure they were within contractual specifications for suspending him.

Oh, okay. Judging by your description, I had guessed it similar to certain other "Guilds" which exist merely within the confines of a single corporation/entity amongst its workers and held together perhaps by a gentlemen's agreement or even something slightly more substantial.

I stand corrected.

Last edited:
BSMW linked to a blog post by Dan Shanoff (he used to write for Page 2). Anyway he breaks down the "notes exchange" that these writers use, and basically calls that system lazy and ridiculous.
http://www.danshanoff.com/2007/03/notes-exchange-on-scandal-ron-borges.html

He also doesn't excuse Borges from plagiarism, just because of this notes exchange. As he says, Borges just did a cut and paste job.

The Globe suspended him because he IS a plagiarist. This is not some great mystery. A bone to Pats fans? Patriot fans have disliked the guy and wanted him gone forever, this isn't just a way to pacify the fans. The guy stole someone else's work. Obviously the Globe did not think the disclaimer was enough to excuse a cut and paste a 12 yr old would understand as plagiarism.

And plenty of media members have also criticized Borges as well, so clearly there are journalists who think this is plagiarism.

It seems to me any journalists who are using the "aw shucks, it was the notes system, no biggie!" are being ridiculous. It's more a reflection of their own weak journalistic standards than the truth of the matter.

Cut and paste. Good luck to the union, although I don't doubt they'll fight tooth and nail.

Last edited:
The Guild will provide legal representation, if Borges decides to contest his suspension. That's one of the benefits of the dues he pays. If he's wise, he won't contest his punishment, because his chances of winning won't be good.

It's interesting that this episode may result in improved sports reporting all over the country. This "notes" business isn't good. The problem is not that the information is published in several newspapers. After all, AP stories are published verbatim in hundreds of papers. The problem is that it's a misuse of the byline.

Sports writers are judged by their writing skills, their insights and the information they provide--their ability to establish sources on the inside. In his plagiarized notes, Borges demonstrated none of that.

The Guild will provide legal representation, if Borges decides to contest his suspension. That's one of the benefits of the dues he pays. If he's wise, he won't contest his punishment, because his chances of winning won't be good.

It's interesting that this episode may result in improved sports reporting all over the country. This "notes" business isn't good. The problem is not that the information is published in several newspapers. After all, AP stories are published verbatim in hundreds of papers. The problem is that it's a misuse of the byline.

Sports writers are judged by their writing skills, their insights and the information they provide--their ability to establish sources on the inside. In his plagiarized notes, Borges demonstrated none of that.

Good post Mainefan, appreciate your insight!

About freaking time! Borges is easily the worst writer on the Globe. He's probably the only guy I hate reading simply because he writes based off an agendra rather than from the facts.

The guy finally went over the line. Plagiarism is a serious matter, especially in the business of journalism. IMO 2 months suspension, they went on him easy. I hope Borges learns something from this experience but I doubt that he does.

As repeated incessantly at EEI today, he got two months, like the others. Then the lawyers look for more instances of plagerism. If found, he's fired. Bye-bye Ronnie!!!!

Hahahahahaha. RonBorges, that was classic. In case you guys took this seriously, I think he was making a point (and a really funny one) about plagiarism. Read back on who he copied verbatim and you guys will be rolling on the floor as well. Good Post!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In this town Ron Borges will forever be known as a fraud, period. I know he is a talented writer, but the writing is on the wall in this town for him now. I don't think he needs to lose his livelihood over what he did but, but in this town he's finished. He could try Seattle maybe...or not.

In this town Ron Borges will forever be known as a fraud, period. I know he is a talented writer, but the writing is on the wall in this town for him now. I don't think he needs to lose his livelihood over what he did but, but in this town he's finished. He could try Seattle maybe...or not.

Maybe Oakland since he's such a big raiders fan. How funny would that be if his columns are all praise about Al Davis...

Maybe Oakland since he's such a big raiders fan. How funny would that be if his columns are all praise about Al Davis...
He was there before...so he could return to his thug past....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST