PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges -- after week 2 of 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
onegameatatime said:
All those who have insisted he's not mobile enough or accurate enough or talented enough or brave enough will learn what should be obvious, and that's with no disrespect for his replacement, young Tom Brady.

The simple fact is, the bulk of Bledsoe's problems in recent seasons have not been caused by him; they've been caused by the people around him.

His offensive line is not good. ... [quoting an unnamed coach] 'They got no running back and you can just run through their linemen and get to Bledsoe. What's he supposed to do about that.' ...

I don't see how Borges couldn't admit how wrong he was - and obviously no one knew that Brady would be everything Bledsoe was and much much more.

But as far as his comments about Bledsoe.. not brave enough, accurate enough, talented enough - Bledsoe is all those things, and I think still is today.

It's the "not mobile enough" that bears focus. To say it's Bledsoe's achilles heel is a major understatement... its more like Achilles legs.

That, and the fact that Bledsoe ability to sense pressure in the pocket was exceptionally poor - at least compared to Brady's - made a bad situation worse.

In that sense, Borge's statements about Bledsoe's surrounding cast on the OL isn't far off the mark - but for a different reason. Brady, as we now know, seems to have eyes in the back of his head, and has tremendous pocket sight and presence.

The net effect of all of this is that Bledsoe makes a mediocre OL look AWFUL, whereas Brady can make a mediocre OL actually look GOOD - especially when the coaches gameplaned the remainder of the 2001 season to let Brady dump short passes to Troy Brown early and often.

Wow, Could someone be more wrong than that? "The people around him"?
May be the wrongest thing I ever read about this team.
Guess that's why they call him "Wrong Borges".

"Borges - Like a morning dump, but less enjoyable."

We're all talking about Borges here. He is a big success. The Ann Coulter Path to Riches. It works.

BradyManny2344 said:
Is the Globe finally phasing Ron out? I rarely ever see articles by him and I couldn't even find an email to him on the Globe's site.

I'm wondering the same thing myself. In yesterday's paper, they had a "grade the Pats offseason" box, with 5 people giving grades -- Reiss, Cafardo, Solomon etc.

No Borges. I was shocked and thrilled. I desperately hope he's been removed from the Pats altogether. He has some decent NFL-wide sources, so it'd be ok if he wrote the occassional NFL notes column on Sundays. it's only when the column focused on the Pats that his incredible bias gets in the way and he turns into a drooling moron.

onegameatatime said:
Do you have a URL reference to the original Globe article ??

arrellbee said:
Do you have a URL reference to the original Globe article ??

No link. A friend recently got it off Nexis.

I remembered it from back when because I did not agree with it when he wrote it. By 2001, I firmly thought Bledsoe did not have the judgment and could not win if not surrounded by HOF talent. Compare to the second Jets game in 2001 when Brady was getting no time to throw and they changed style at halftime.

I was never a Bledsoe "basher." I always thought he was a decent guy and a good QB, just not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft