PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason on D&C: Dolphins to exploit ‘frightening’ secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer has a great command of the obvious.......IF we do NOT get any pressure CONSISTENTLY on the QB.....Henne and Marshall will torch our secondary. I would imagine that Marshall will be doubled all night.....I am not even sure who there second and third WR's are but they will get more action I would think. But first and foremost....WE HAVE TO get to Henne......and not let him get comfortable......We should be able to stop their running game.....GO PATS!

Things have to get worse before they get better. We are like a junkie who has to hit "bottom" before he gets better.

Best comment I've ever seen on this site in years. That's one heck of a creative analogy. I love it! You rule for putting it like that.

Great, just great.

Good reply.............you, sir are correct.

I think if we can manufacture just a little bit of a pass rush, just enough pressure to give the qb something to think about, the very young and very talented defensive backfield will come together nicely. Hopefully, it all starts tonight, but if not, do not panic - these "d" backs are going to be a force come december.

Pass rush is struggling due to lack of talent

This is very true PatsfaninPA.......and don't you think it is hard to imagine why BB, who is one of the greatest defensive geniuses in the history of the game, has had trouble getting (draft, FA) the personnel to BRING THE HEAT for the past several years now!!!! (I know this is a damned run-on sentence....but you get my point!) WHEN is the last time we have had a resemblance of a pash rush? 2007? and even that lineup wasn't that aggressive....but Seymour, Warren, Green, and Vrabs did pretty well that year......Since then....we have been pretty anemic.....hopefully that changes soon.....GO PATS!!!!

Originally Posted by SanAngeloState
Things have to get worse before they get better. We are like a junkie who has to hit "bottom" before he gets better.

This is exactly correct and very realistic.........problem is there are so many rose colored glasses wearing pats fans that don't realize this and think we are going to the SB every year. Fact is, with this young and inexperienced a D, combined with the level of difficulty that we have schedule wise this year......keep your expectations realistic.....Going to be a very tough year....but in the long run....this team...and especially defense...are going to be scary good.......

How does that blond haired d-bag like his crow served? Blackened? grilled? Fried? Pats secondary may have "bent"....but never broke...and contained one of the NFL's greatest to nothing productivity wise.....I am impressed......and Boomer should apologize or make some kind of statement.....

to defend Boomer, he had points ,but he always has been a big Pats supporter...

Football 'know nothing' Callahan loves Boomer. And he laughed like a schoolgirl when Boomer made that comment.

Congratulations on allowing 300 yards passing. The important plays came from a linebacker not one of your DBs. The interceptions by Chung and Page came after the game had been blown open by your fantastic play on special teams. You haven't played a really good QB yet this year, and your secondary has had major problems.

This was a great win over a divisional rival for the Patriots, but don't think that the play of the secondary had anything to do with it.

Congratulations on allowing 300 yards passing. The important plays came from a linebacker not one of your DBs. The interceptions by Chung and Page came after the game had been blown open by your fantastic play on special teams. You haven't played a really good QB yet this year, and your secondary has had major problems.

This was a great win over a divisional rival for the Patriots, but don't think that the play of the secondary had anything to do with it.

If the Patriots win, and the D only allows the opponents 14 points, they could give up 600 yards for all I care.

Did the secondary have anything to do with Marshall 5-50?
Did the pass defense have anything to do with a team passing against you 46 times scoring 14 points and losing by 27?

I am assuming you are a Jets fan. Are you even trying to tell me your defense and/or secondary played close to as well vs Miami? You're not, right?

Did the secondary have anything to do with Marshall 5-50?
Did the pass defense have anything to do with a team passing against you 46 times scoring 14 points and losing by 27?

I am assuming you are a Jets fan. Are you even trying to tell me your defense and/or secondary played close to as well vs Miami? You're not, right?

I believe the Pats' secondary performed marginally better than the Jets' did last week. But that's not saying much.

The 27 point margin of victory was the result of terrific special teams play and a few bad decisions by the opposing QB.

And yes, I am a Jets fan. But I don't hate, or even dislike the Patriots. I prefer Brady to Manning and have always respected Belichick. Never made sense to me, why I should hate the Patriots. My two favorite Jets, when I was younger, were Curtis Martin and Brian Cox. I even cheered when the Patriots won the 2001 Super Bowl because Otis Smith (who I met a few times) finally won a ring.

I believe the Pats' secondary performed marginally better than the Jets' did last week. But that's not saying much.

The 27 point margin of victory was the result of terrific special teams play and a few bad decisions by the opposing QB.

And yes, I am a Jets fan. But I don't hate, or even dislike the Patriots. I prefer Brady to Manning and have always respected Belichick. Never made sense to me, why I should hate the Patriots. My two favorite Jets, when I was younger, were Curtis Martin and Brian Cox. I even cheered when the Patriots won the 2001 Super Bowl because Otis Smith (who I met a few times) finally won a ring.
Marginally better? 14 points and 4 Ints vs 23 and sweating it out in the final seconds?
You do realize that Henne passed for 363 yards against you? That your secondary allowed 10-166 to Marshall and the Patriots shut him down at 5-50 right?
Miami WRs vs Jets 21-336
Miami WRs vs NE 17-164

Your secondary allowed more than twice as many yards to WRs. Thats the most poorly used 'marginally' I have ever seen.

Marginally better? 14 points and 4 Ints vs 23 and sweating it out in the final seconds?
You do realize that Henne passed for 363 yards against you? That your secondary allowed 10-166 to Marshall and the Patriots shut him down at 5-50 right?
Miami WRs vs Jets 21-336
Miami WRs vs NE 17-164

Your secondary allowed more than twice as many yards to WRs. Thats the most poorly used 'marginally' I have ever seen.

It requires two teams to play a football game. Your secondary played marginally better than the Jets'. Henne completed 74% of his passes against your defense, 59% against the Jets'. The Dolphins converted 66% of their first downs against your defense, 46% against the Jets'.

The difference between the performance of the Miami passing attack in the games between the Jets and Patriots is explained by a difference in defensive philosophy and the difference in the level of play of Chad Henne (I think you would agree that players don't perform to the same level in every game). The Jets bring pressure and play tight coverage on the outside, with limited safety support. It results in rushed throws by opposing QBs, leading to a low completion %. It also results in big plays by the other team when the pressure doesn't get there, a high number of yards per completion. The Patriots play a soft coverage scheme, ceding the underneath stuff. Resulting in a higher completion %, but fewer yards per completion. In yards per attempt, the Jets allowed 8.3 YPA, the Patriots 7.7 YPA. That would be a small difference over the course of season, for a single game, it's almost nothing.

The Jets intercepted Henne once, the Patriots INT'd him three times. Two of Henne's INTs vs the Pats had nothing to do with the Pats coverage. The first INT was a terrible throw (short and behind his receiver, Marshall, directly into the arms of the Patriots' linebacker. Bad throws happen to everyone, there was no pressure on the play and a good throw would have resulted in a 20+ yard gain.) and the 3rd was a miscommunication with Marshall (again, no pressure, if they're on the same page, the result is a 4 yard completion). Neither of those plays had anything to do with the Patriots defense. Like I said before, the difference in the statistics is the result of a difference in defensive philosophy and Chad Henne's personal level of play.

Marshall had 5 catches for 50 yards, if that's what you consider shutting him down, OK. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Revis.

I didn't include Thigpen's numbers because the Jets didn't face Thigpen.

If the Patriots win, and the D only allows the opponents 14 points, they could give up 600 yards for all I care.

Yep, 300 yards passing given up, but only 14 points. That's classic bend-but-don't-break defense.

It requires two teams to play a football game. Your secondary played marginally better than the Jets'. Henne completed 74% of his passes against your defense, 59% against the Jets'. The Dolphins converted 66% of their first downs against your defense, 46% against the Jets'.

The difference between the performance of the Miami passing attack in the games between the Jets and Patriots is explained by a difference in defensive philosophy and the difference in the level of play of Chad Henne (I think you would agree that players don't perform to the same level in every game). The Jets bring pressure and play tight coverage on the outside, with limited safety support. It results in rushed throws by opposing QBs, leading to a low completion %. It also results in big plays by the other team when the pressure doesn't get there, a high number of yards per completion. The Patriots play a soft coverage scheme, ceding the underneath stuff. Resulting in a higher completion %, but fewer yards per completion. In yards per attempt, the Jets allowed 8.3 YPA, the Patriots 7.7 YPA. That would be a small difference over the course of season, for a single game, it's almost nothing.

The Jets intercepted Henne once, the Patriots INT'd him three times. Two of Henne's INTs vs the Pats had nothing to do with the Pats coverage. The first INT was a terrible throw (short and behind his receiver, Marshall, directly into the arms of the Patriots' linebacker. Bad throws happen to everyone, there was no pressure on the play and a good throw would have resulted in a 20+ yard gain.) and the 3rd was a miscommunication with Marshall (again, no pressure, if they're on the same page, the result is a 4 yard completion). Neither of those plays had anything to do with the Patriots defense. Like I said before, the difference in the statistics is the result of a difference in defensive philosophy and Chad Henne's personal level of play.

Marshall had 5 catches for 50 yards, if that's what you consider shutting him down, OK. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Revis.

Actually, the first Int was described by Gruden as something the Patriots discovered on tape and were prepared for resulting in the Int.
5 for 50 is shutting down compared to 10-166
So your answer is that the Jets allowed over 300 yards to WRs, more than double what the Patriots did, because Henne just didnt play as well?
That is a bs argument.
I guess our D play better against the Blls than yours but their players just had a bad day against you.

Yep our win is no where near as good as yours... but please continue to argue

The stats before the horribly garbage time in the 4th quarter would be interesting. They went into major prevent mode, with almost all starters pulled.

Let me ask you this, what's more important - yards or points? Miami was held to 14 points. Who cares if Henne threw for 1,000 yards. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many yards you gain. It's all about the points. A 99 yard drive is worthless if you turn it over on the one.

Originally Posted by SanAngeloState

This is exactly correct and very realistic.........problem is there are so many rose colored glasses wearing pats fans that don't realize this and think we are going to the SB every year. Fact is, with this young and inexperienced a D, combined with the level of difficulty that we have schedule wise this year......keep your expectations realistic.....Going to be a very tough year....but in the long run....this team...and especially defense...are going to be scary good.......

WTF do you or anyone else care if someone is wearing "rose colored glasses"? What's this "we" stuff"?

I hate to break it to ya man but "we" aren't on the team. That said I'm in your camp with being realistic, I just don't see the need to be all megalomaniacal about who feels what.

It's obvious they still need improving in several areas of the defense. What I'd like to see is for them to mix up zone and man more. Zone worked pretty good last night against a mediocre QB who depended almost solely on timing routes. I realize it's "safer" for rookies and the other younger DB's to cover a zone rather than man up on a talented receiver on most passing downs but I think soon BB will have to take the zone binky away. Zone works better also if you don't have a talented pass rusher or rushers so they need to scheme a little better too I think to get more pressure on the opposing QB. I know they won't be trading for Haynesworth any time soon so scheming will have to do.

Overall though this team has the potential to be real special this season if the young guns listen and do their homework.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore