PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bold prediction - Daryl Roberts will be our #1 CB week 1..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's BOLD

Obvious physical tools. Didn't realize the numbers were that eye popping. Lots of factors go into being a star/starter. Let's hope he grabs the chance.

That's BOLD
I have a good feeling about this kid. He will be the player sent by the football gods to make up for the Revis tampering and deflategate BS.

I seriously doubt it. A rookie being a starter week 1 on a Belichick team is rare especially for a seventh round draft pick. Even first round picks like Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour got limited playing time early in their rookie season.

Could Roberts emerge over the course of the season? Sure. But I really doubt he will be a day one starter. I am leaning to him not even being active week 1 even if by week 17 he is the Pats #1 CB.

I'm just hoping he makes the roster. Think he'll take time to develop. Sounds like he can be a solid special teamer at least.

Prediction depth chart,
Fletcher
Ryan
McClain
Butler
Roberts
Swanson
Jean
I feel that we trim 2 safeties off the roster Ebner,Wilson maybe the odd guys out.
Of course injuries play a huge part.
Would love to see Jean and Roberts surprise.
I think McClain sticks as a very good nickelback.
For the small coin he sticks.
Swanson and Jean could be practice squad and ready to fill in for injuries.
Just hope some team doesn't poach them.

I seriously doubt it. A rookie being a starter week 1 on a Belichick team is rare especially for a seventh round draft pick. Even first round picks like Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour got limited playing time early in their rookie season.

Could Roberts emerge over the course of the season? Sure. But I really doubt he will be a day one starter. I am leaning to him not even being active week 1 even if by week 17 he is the Pats #1 CB.
Realistically, I think you're right that week 1 is unlikely. I do think as the season progresses he will emerge. They kids is a special talent. If he hadn't been a snub for the all star games and combine I think he would have went in the top 3 rounds. I do not see much difference between what he did on the field and in terms of athletic ability between him and Byron Jones.

The Bobby Grier stopwatch method of predicting greatness ...

Seriously ... I hope he's the #3 CB by seasons end ... that would be great for now.

Last edited:
The Bobby Grier stopwatch method of predicting greatness ...

Seriously ... I hope he's the #3 CB by seasons end ... that would be great for now.

Yes, because we need some rook to step up & assume the Butler role in Feb 2016.

http://es.pn/1HTQMrO

3. Where's Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler? After being so visible in the wake of his remarkable game-ending interception to help the Patriots beat the Seahawks, Butler hasn't been on the practice field in OTAs, presumably as he rehabs from an undisclosed ailment. Those around Butler are keeping a low profile regarding his whereabouts. Butler's absence has given others, such as seventh-round draft choice Darryl Roberts of Marshall, a chance to take repetitions that likely would have gone to Butler instead. At one point Thursday, it looked like Roberts was getting some one-on-one instruction from Bill Belichick, who gets involved in drills at times as if he was still a position coach.

Right now, I have to believe it will be Ryan and Fletcher. Don't know what's wrong with Butler, but he certainly isn't helping himself right now.

McClain in the sot, I guess (still shocked about Dennard and Arrington!)

But I love the hope around Roberts, and don't sleep on Swanson.

To respond to the OP, Thompkins started week 1 as an UDFA with what looks like a better group of competition in front of him than 2015 CB (Amendola, Jenkins, Dobson, Edelman, Boyce).

IMO, Butler would have started on any one of BB's 2009-2012 teams. He was stuck on one of the best position groups in the NFL.

Belichick will play who he feels are the best players. The recent past shows he isn't afriad to play a late round/udfa rookie in an early starting role.

Unless something surprising happens between now and the season opener, I expect Fletcher to be one starter and I would think the other starter would be between Ryan and Butler.

I am going with a no....but...who knows with this team

CB is one position where measureables are pretty important. If you don't have the speed, it's hard to cover man to man. Unless you're a monster like Browner. Roberts ran sub 4.4 and is a mature kid. 5 years at Marshall. Good, not great level of football. Will be interesting to watch him in pre-season. We'll get a
feel for how he can play the ball.

Even if he is a hall of famer will need time to learn the playbook and the system.

Even if he is a hall of famer will need time to learn the playbook and the system.
Ras-I Dowling started week 1 his rookie year even though he missed most of the preseason with an injury.

Alfonzo Dennard was a starter by week 5 his rookie year after missing all of the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News