PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bold prediction - Daryl Roberts will be our #1 CB week 1..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and look where it got them.

Neither is a career model I'd like to see any of our rookies emulate.
starting early in their careers had nothing to do with either of their downfalls. Being made of glass and maturity did, respectively. would you rather have every young corner not play at all their rookie seasons to avoid their fate? Not understanding where you're going with that point

starting early in their careers had nothing to do with either of their downfalls. Being made of glass and maturity did, respectively. would you rather have every young corner not play at all their rookie seasons to avoid their fate? Not understanding where you're going with that point
Seems pretty obvious that starting early in their careers had nothing to do with either being stellar. If it did they'd have been stars. So don't make a big deal out of it. Would you rather have a rookie starter that flames out, or a rookie that takes a year or more to get into the starting lineup then stays there for years? Starting as a rookie is meaningless. If you can't understand that point I don't know what else I can do to help you.

Seems pretty obvious that starting early in their careers had nothing to do with either being stellar. If it did they'd have been stars. So don't make a big deal out of it. Would you rather have a rookie starter that flames out, or a rookie that takes a year or more to get into the starting lineup then stays there for years? Starting as a rookie is meaningless. If you can't understand that point I don't know what else I can do to help you.
well I would obviously pick the long term option but the implication that a player cannot start as rookie as well as have long term success is absurd. Just because there have been a few flame outs in the past does not mean every single cb that has a start his rookie year will ultimately be a failure.

The Patriots faced -

Kyle Orton x2
Geno Smith x2
Ryan Trannehill x2
Derek Carr
Matt Cassell
Andy Dalton
Jay Cutler
Matthew Stafford
Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Peyton Manning
Joe Flacco
Andrew Luck x2
Phillip Rivers

They faced a lot of bad QBs.

Also Russell Wilson, since you included their playoff matchups. Which means that in 19 games, they played 7 games against very good (top 10) QBs, and another 6 against average-or-better QBs. So 13 games against average-or-better QBs out of 19. I bet they faced a tougher slate of QBs than most last year, as you'd expect for a first-place schedule.

To be fair, one could use "what have you done for me recently" to argue against that notion:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...aps-cornerback-malcolm-butler-shines-on-no-18

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A look at snaps played by New England Patriots defensive players in Super Bowl XLIX:

CORNERBACK

Brandon Browner -- 53 of 53

Darrelle Revis -- 53 of 53

Kyle Arrington -- 25 of 53

Malcolm Butler -- 18 of 53

Logan Ryan -- 5 of 53
-------------------------------

BB also had Butler replace Revis in the AFCCG when he was injured for a drive. I don't think it's fair to say Ryan has an edge on Butler.

Yeah, mg seems to be doubling down on the "Butler isn't even a lock to make team!" rhetoric for reasons that elude me. It was pretty clear by the end of the year that Butler was part of a back end corps whose use was dictated more by match ups than where they ranked on the depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call