PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount Signs with Pats (2yr deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious!
Loved the brickbats received in the other thread when I advocated this signing as improving the team, albeit with the caveat that BB felt Blount's assholeness would not be a detriment to the team.

It's really simple folks. If you pay any attention to BB's comments he always says with player moves that his job is to make moves to improve the team. Were Gray to go down, we could be toast post season. This way we have depth AND someone to share the grinding, arduous task of pounding into the line. BB has always preferred to share the carries.

The question is still open as to who goes. Shmessy & mg are probably correct as to who goes but I still think Bolden is a possibility despite his ST contributions as we seem to have depth there. Bolden is unlikely to be signed by anyone so God forbid were we to lose a RB Bolden could be activated off the shadow roster.

Not only that but I was confused as to why BB would be losing sleep over Blount's character concerns. Was he not here last season? Did he not perform pretty well? We already KNOW he can work here because he has in the recent past! Didn't understand that argument at all.

I think if James White go on the waiver wire he would hear crickets he has done NOTHING to excite. :rolleyes:

Nobody's claiming Vereen is a huge individual difference maker like Gronkowski. The issue is having a legitimate receiving back versus having none.

The Pats' two genuinely lousy offensive performances last season came when Vereen and Gronk were BOTH out.

The 3rd down back has always been a vitally important part of NE's offense. It's a position well deserving of having backup depth.

love this move.
two headed monster...blount/gray. also vereen on 3rd down.

also get to hear deion say " nobody wanna hit that blount " after he scores a TD :D

This might have been a preventative signing - one that keeps blount away from the colts and broncos, two RB-needy teams.

Yes, and Faulk's absence contributed heavily to the playoff losses in 2006 and 2007. From then to 2013, Bill went without a viable receiving backup for all of one week, the opener of 2010. They went thin again in 2013, got bit in the ass, and snagged not one, but two potential backups in the offseason (though one won't be available until next year).

In their defense, I think Leon Washington was the planned backup last year. But he got hurt even before Vereen did and wasn't the same when he came back - and thus couldn't beat out Bolden for the reps. He was getting reps in that role in camp / exhibition games before the injury.

This might have been a preventative signing - one that keeps blount away from the colts and broncos, two RB-needy teams.

I really don't believe in "preventive signings". You make moves to make your team better. You can't worry about what other teams will do.

Four things come to mind:

1. I think Blount went to Pittsburgh on promises of lots of playing time as much as for the increase in $$$. (Same with Dane Fletcher). When that didn't materialize and even went backwards, he got pissed - pure speculation on my part, I agree, but it makes sense.

2. BB would NEVER have brought him back if he had the slightest worry that Blount would be disruptive to a team that is hitting on every cylinder. They aren't worried about his attitude.

3. He's great in bad weather...and he's got FRESH LEGS!

4. And Denver doesn't get him!

Edit: 5th thing: I don't want Grey carrying the ball 35 times a game. Too much football left for that.

^^^
Agree with all this.

Plus I'll add that because Ridley is done, we need another RB that we can count on down the stretch. This is a clear indication that they don't see Bolden as that solution (although he is valuable in STs).

LeGarrette Blount is still in his prime great upside I think he ran well behind a so so OL last year. I think this current OL is much better with a healthy Beast mode Gronk to boot. I cannot wait to see one of his 50 yard runs, Blount is Big RB with breakaway speed something Jonas Gray and the Riddler doesn't have.

I love this move. We have a veteran who knows the system to work with Gray and Vereen. He's a bruising back who is built for the playoffs. I don't see a negative here

I think the Colts defenders are not happy about this. As bad as the time they had tackling Jonas Gray on Sunday, I am sure it didn't hurt as much when they bounced off of him than when they bounced off of Blount in the playoffs last year.

Why are people mentioning Bolden? He's not going anywhere - - very good STer and can fill in ok at RB (and as a pass catcher out of the backfield is our 2nd best at that to vereen, so he is also Vereen insurance).

Possible cuts (because they will need 2 when Siliga gets in):

Chris White
Casey Walker
James White (IR)
Devey (maybe to PS)

I'm guessing Don Jones - he's been on a downward trend from being on all 4 special teams squads, to just 2, to inactive against Indianapolis.

He's backkkk

blount.jpg

I read on Colts forum that Blount leaving the field before the end of the game was kind of overstated, he's left one snap before the last, when they were already kneeling at the ball, in a game where he got 0 touches and Bell 33. Ok you don't leave the field earlier than anyone but it's not like he did punch his coach in the mouth or something too complicated to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back